LAX
Topic Author

Should Pete Rose Have Been Banned From Baseball?

Thu May 31, 2001 5:57 am

What's your opinion?

And should he be allowed into the Hall of Fame?

I remember watching Pete play for the Reds for many years. There was no one more exciting to watch play the game.

Remember seeing hit #4192 on 9/11/85 vs. the Padres?
Great moment.

I think he SHOULD definitely be in Cooperstown.....no matter what else he might have done!!

RE: Should Pete Rose Have Been Banned From Baseball?

Thu May 31, 2001 6:29 am

Absolutely not. The man bet on baseball. What's worse, persuasive evidence shows that he bet on games that involved his own team. Such actions by a man who was not only a player but also a manager calls the very integrity of the game into question.

Pete Rose was a student of the game. He knew of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. Translation: he knew the rules (and indeed the most sacred rule in Major League Baseball--no gambling); he willfully broke them; and he tried to cover it up. He is a disgrace to the game and to professional sports as a whole. Celebrate that by inducting him into the Hall--Never!

767-322ETOPS

Thu May 31, 2001 9:35 pm

IMO, he's getting a raw deal from sanctimonious sports writers. They don't like him because he doesn't kiss their @sses.

The gambling thing, while serious, was a smudge at the end of a long and impressive career. BTW, Lawrence Taylor made it into the NFL hall of fame after all of his well publicized problems. I guess drug addiction is more of an illness than gambling addiction.

Finally, dealing with Marge Schott has to count for something ?!?

KROC

Thu May 31, 2001 11:01 pm

Yes, Pete Rose should deffinatly be allowed into the hall of fame. Yet, on the other end of the spectrum, he needs to just admit he screwed up by betting on baseball, and games his own team played. If he admits he did. I garuntee it wouldn't be that long until he was eligable to be in the HOF.