Air Taiwan
Topic Author

What Is The Biggest Planet In The Solar System?

Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:37 pm

I just saw on TV (the Weakest Link, Goodbye... hehe) that the biggest planet in the Solar System is Saturn!

I always thought Jupiter is the biggest...

Am I wrong?

Jimmy

NoUFO

RE: What Is The Biggest Planet In The Solar System?

Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:54 pm

No, the biggest (in size, maybe not in wight) is indeed Jupiter.

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Matt D

Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:52 pm

Saturn is not only NOT the biggest (it is the second biggest), but it is also the least dense of all the planets. It's density is only 60% that of water. So, given a big enough ocean, saturn would float on it like a partially deflated beach ball.

JAL

Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:07 pm

No, Jupiter is indeed the solar system biggest planet.

I didn't know that Saturn is the least dense planet?
Work Hard But Play Harder

G-KIRAN

Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:24 pm

Jupiter is the biggest although some suspect that there maybe a giant planet 10 bigger then Jupiter far out beyond Pluto.This would account for the strange irregular orbits of Neptune and Uranus.Initially they thought that Pluto was causing this,but they ruled it out because Pluto is very very small.

go canada!

Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:20 am

Saturn is once the rings are included, perhaps that what the weakest link was getting at.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Matt D

Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:39 am

Go Canada needs to Go Study some Astronomy. The rings of Saturn are nothing more than rocks and chunks of ice, with lots of space between the pieces (contrary to belief, the rings are NOT solid). If you were to take the entire mass of the rings, and lumped it all together, you would still come up with a body only about 2/3rds the size of the earths Moon.

Hardly enough to upseat Jupiter as the King of the Planets.

JetService

Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:24 am

How could they screw something like that up? It's not even close!!! Maybe there's a technicality involved, for instance, Jupiter is not really a planet, because...

Kind of like Massachusetts isn't really a state, but a commonwealth..blah, blah, blah......

Very strange.

"Shaddap you!"

OO-VEG

Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:28 am

In mass and weight those rings of Saturn are not that interesting. BUT if you look at the space those rings take (no looking at how much empty space there is between those rocks), Saturn may be bigger.

However, I have heard there are more planets in the solar system with rings (not so much and beautiful as Saturn but they are still rings). Isn't Jupiter also one of those planets???? If so, that may make Jupiter the largest again.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:29 am

Jupiter indeed does have a ring. I have heard the Planet X theory many times, but nothing has come of it i dont believe.
Chicks dig winglets.

GDB

Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:39 am

Uranus has rings too, but they are vertical due to the planet being effectively turned on it's side, including the orbits of it's Moons.
Neptune has faint rings, seems to be a feature of gas giant planets.
Saturn's rings have been around for 'only' 3 million years, and will slowly ebb and erode away over many millions of years.

jwenting

Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:14 am

Jupiter has more mass than Saturn and does have rings.
Maybe they took the diameter including the ring system. If so, Saturn may be slightly larger.
I wish I were flying

go canada!

Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:57 am

thats what i think they were getting at, Saturn may just be slightly larger when taking in the ring system of calculating planet size.

My Great-Uncle owns a local oberservatory, perhaps it is you who need to study your books?

I have studied astromony and have a GCSE in it and I think its a close call, if u just take mass of the planet then Jupiter win, however, i can see were the Weakest Link is coming from, its a shame you can not see beyond the trees-that makes it difficult for you to look at the planets.

Transactoid

A Simple Idea...

Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:40 am

Perhaps they just got it wrong?

They'll probably bring the person back on the show, or indicate their error on a future show. It's happened on Millionaire, and that Greed show....

desertjets

Tue Jun 19, 2001 7:06 am

That is just hogwash. The ring system is seperate from the planet... they are just orbiting satellites like the moon. Interstingly enough Saturn would float in water, its density is less than 1.

As for planet X, who knows. There is a lot of research going into objects beyond Jupiter. They are not really certain of the extent of the Kupier belt in terms of mass and size. There could be a brown drawf sitting out there too, or dark matter.

It still could be that Pluto is an escaped moon of Neptune or just a large Kuiper object, which would explain the eccentric orbit. Who knows.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

An-225

Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:21 am

Jupiter is the biggest one, come on. It's elementary astronomy.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

N863DA

Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:31 am

Ah yes... but don't you know that 'Go Canada!' has a GCSE in it (a qualification akin to a high-school diploma that you get at age 16) so he must know ALL about it. How foolish of elder people in their thirties (me not included) to think that they could compete with a GCSE!!!!

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Matt D

Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:48 am

Oh Pardon my ignorance, I only took a year of college astronomy, and studied every astronomy book I could get my hands on for some three years. That still can't compete with your distinguished GCSE.

But can you tell me, without looking it up:

What the brightest star in the sky is?

How many constellations there are?

What the difference between a magnitude -1 and a magnitude 3 star are?

What the difference between apparent and absolute magnitude are?

What the next closet star is to the earth besides the Sun?

What a parsec is?

What an Astronomical Unit is?

What declination and right ascention are?

What the ecliptic is?

What parallax is?

What precession is?

What proper motion is?

What the Red Shift is?

What the largest and smallest constellations are?

What constellation Aldebaran is in?

What a variable is?

What constellation has the starts Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka in it, and what those three stars are?

What perhelion and aphelion are?

What transit means?

Shall I go on?

Samurai 777

Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:56 am

Whoever did that TV show wasn't reading even basic astronomy.

Jupiter is 318 times the mass of Earth, while Saturn is a distant second, at 95 Earths. 95 Earths may seem heavy, but even though Saturn's diameter is about 130,000 km across, it's made largely of liquid helium surrounding a possible rocky core no larger than Earth. Helium, as we know, is a very light gas, ideal for filling ballons (or temporarily altering your voice for hilarious results, too). That's why Saturn's light enough to float in water.

All of the gas giants in our solar system have rings. Jupiter's ring is extremely diffuse and wasn't discovered until the Voyager 2 space probe took a picture of Jupiter being backlit by the sun in 1981. Uranus' rings weren't discovered until 1977, when a flying obervatory aboard a C-141 or a C-5 (can't remember which a/c type) saw stars dimming and brightening before and after Uranus passed in front of them. Neptune has a partial ring system. Saturn's rings are indeed largest and most beautiful by far and has very complex patterns. When Galileo Galilei discovered Saturn's rings through his incredible invention, the telescope, he initially thought Saturn had ears!

N863DA

Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:56 am

Go Canada! should be able to answer those without blinking!

His wonderful GCSE should outshine your entire year of college in a flash!

(BTW, "Go Canada!", incase you don't get it, I do not think too highly of your GCSE compared to Matt D's measly year...)

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

JetService

Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:39 am

Forget the ring bulls#!t! Jupiter is twice the mass of all the other planets put together!! helllll-ooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Shaddap you!"

flight152

Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:44 am

Air Taiwan-
That weakest link is a good show, with Anne Robinson. As she might say... "Who left their brains at home?"

You are the weakest link........ goodbye.

Air Taiwan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:11 pm

I haven't seen the UK version of "the weakest link"... but the one I's talking about is the one hosted by Cornelia Francis (sp??) here in OZ...

sounds like that they've got the same personality though... hehe

Jimmy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Samurai 777

Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:47 pm

Are you into astronomy?...

go canada!

Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:57 pm

perhaps some people need to learn who to read before they ask questions...

when did I say that a GCSE is more important than a college degree? When, please inform me, since you know so much that should be easy for you.

No please inform me, come on you have made a judgement that I have said I know more about this than you all do, i simply laid out my basis that I have an elementary understanding of astromony as I am used to utter idiots jumping down peoples thoarts just because they are under thirty!

I simply said that I could see where the TV show was coming from.

Whilst i understand that a GCSE doesnt beat a college course, it is still useful and worthwhile and is probably more that some of the uneducated persons using this site have.

so I will answer most of the questions,sorry i havent done this instantly as I have uni exams to complete...i hope those who ahev used higher education can realise that I can not sit an a pc all day.

anyway here goes, by the way the answers are not in order and are the ones I can remember without looking up textbooks:

Nearest Star apart from the sun is Proxima Centauri, which is one part of the triple star Alpha Centauri, which is about 40 trillion km (25 trillion mi) from the earth.

ecliptic :its the apparent 'great circle' annual path of the sun, the name is because eclipses occur only when the moon is on or near this path.

Constellations-88 groupings of stars on the celst sphere

a parsec is a unit of measurement used for stellar distances, its a blend word of parallax and second

parallax:its the apparent displacement of the position of a celestial object on the cel sphere when you view it from two different postions.

An AU(asto unit) is the unti of distance used when measuring the obits and trajectories within the solar system

Aldebaran is in Taurus

The 3-star magnitude is darker, i Think
The brightest star apart from the sun is Sirius(-1.6)

Absolute magnitude is opposite to apparent magnitude, it indicates the brightness that a star would have if it were placed at a distance from the earth of 32.6 light-years.

declination is to do with the equator

i admit i cant answre all without looking, however, since I never asked for the questions and since i never said that a GCSE is better than a uni course I think I have done quite well.

I would like to see N 8 6 3 D A answer the rest of the questions since he seems to know soo much.

krgds

Wed Jun 20, 2001 2:19 am

What the brightest star in the sky is?

My guess would be the sun.

I believe TWA retired the last Constellation operating in passenger service in the early 1960's.

What the difference between a magnitude -1 and a magnitude 3 star are?

About four magnitudes.

What the difference between apparent and absolute magnitude are?

About seven letters.

What the next closet star is to the earth besides the Sun?

That would be the North Star. I believe it is at the north pole, or something like that.

What a parsec is?

Something they say a lot on Star Trek.

What an Astronomical Unit is?

The price of a ticket on AA out of DFW.

What declination and right ascention are?

Declination deals with my inability to do any work today and right ascention deals with the fit of my trousers.

What the ecliptic is?

Rich people are not crazy, they are ecliptic.

What parallax is?

A small cat that forages the southern Kalahari Desert.

What precession is?

The era that preceded the Mexican Cession. As in "California in 1840 sufferred through the pre-Cession economy due to neglect from the Mexican Government."

What proper motion is?

Proper motion is that motion which is not prohibited by federal or state law.

What the Red Shift is?

The Red Shift occurred throughout Europe and Asia during the early and mid 20th Century as governments were overthrown by Communist insurrections.

What the largest and smallest constellations are?

I would think Scorpio is the smallest as scorpions are pretty small and Taurus is the larges because bulls are pretty big.

What constellation Aldebaran is in?

ummmm, pass

What a variable is?

Something that is not stable.

What constellation has the starts Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka in it, and what those three stars are?

The raging Eskimo

What perhelion and aphelion are?

Characters in the Greek tragedy Antigone

What transit means?

To move (duh)

So, Matt, how did I do? Pretty darn good for not even looking at an astrology book.  Laugh out loud

Matt D

Wed Jun 20, 2001 3:22 am

WNBoy:

A+ for you. I hereby award you your unconditional GCSE.

You are an intelligent person indeed. Who said that my quizzes were hard? Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

flight152

Wed Jun 20, 2001 4:41 am

WN boy-

I believe TWA retired the last Constellation operating in passenger service in the early 1960's.

I think Matt D was referring to a constellations as a group of stars, not a four engine airliner Lockheed made.  Laugh out loud

Transactoid

Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:24 am

Uggh...did nobody read my post?

Obiviously someone simply didn't do enough research and formed the question incorrectly. *IF* it was an error, it will be corrected on the show shortly.

If it was NOT an error then it was a very badly worded question.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jun 20, 2001 6:12 am

Wasent this guy asking what the capital of Virginia is on a diffrent post? And now he asks what the biggest planet is in our solar system?

Air Taiwan man you seriously need like 5 seconds to look that up in any atlas or almanac! Come one this is simple common sense......

Samurai 777

Re:What Is The Biggest Planet In The Solar System?

Wed Jun 20, 2001 1:28 pm

CYKA - Glad you asked. Yes, I've been interested in astronomy.

MattD asked us these:

"But can you tell me, without looking it up:"
I can, for moost of these questions. Go canada! got some of them right.

"What the brightest star in the sky is?"
The Sun. This one's the only answer WN Boy got right!

"How many constellations there are?"
Go Canada! beat me to this. 88.

"What the difference between a magnitude -1 and a magnitude 3 star are?"
That one I admit I didn't know, but I think Go canada! is right.

"What the difference between apparent and absolute magnitude are?"
Same as the previous question.

"What the next closet star is to the earth besides the Sun?"
Once again, Go canada! beat me to this. It's Proxima Centauri, about 4.33 light years from us. It's the third member of the Alpha Centauri system. Proxima cannot be seen with the naked eye, though because it is a faint red dwarf, but Alpha can because it's a binary consisting of two Sun-like stars.

"What a parsec is?"
A unit of distance measuring 3.262 light years.

"What an Astronomical Unit is?"
The distance between our Sun and Earth - about 149 million km (93 million miles).

"What declination and right ascention are?"
Well, Go Canada may have gotten this right - I didn't know the correct answer to this one.

"What the ecliptic is?"
The path that the Sun takes across the sky. Go Canada! beat me to this one.

"What parallax is?"
Go Canada! beat me to this one. He has it right.

"What precession is?"
Damn, I can't remember the answer to tihs one.

"What proper motion is?"
The motion that stars take through the Galaxy.

"What the Red Shift is?"
Basically, it's a spectral shift where most of the black emission lines will shift towards the red end of a star's (or any other heavenly object like a galaxy or a quasar) spectrum, indicating that it is moving away from us.

"What the largest and smallest constellations are?"
Hmmmm, lemme guess: Canis Minor (Lesser Dog) is the smallest and Draco (The Dragon, of course) is the largest.

"What constellation Aldebaran is in?"
Go canada! got that one right for sure.

"What a variable is?"
If you mean a variable star, then that's what it is - a star that changes often regularly in brightness.

"What constellation has the starts Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka in it, and what those three stars are?"
The constellation Orion has those three stars. They are all hot and young blue giants and form Orion's belt.

"What perhelion and aphelion are?"
Perihelion is the point in an orbit farthest away from the Sun.
Aphelion is the point in an orbit nearest to the Sun.

"What transit means?"
The passage of a planet such as Venus or Mercury across the face of the Sun or even of a planet across the face of another star.

If anyone asks - no, I haven't been cheating. All of this is off the top of my head. I never even had any formal training in astronomy.

SSTjumbo

Thu Jun 21, 2001 6:55 am

Here's one to run across you guys. Jupiter has been occasionly classified as a star for some weird reason. Figured I'd tell you guys that if it wasn't already mentioned.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

go canada!

Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:00 pm

i believe you!

JFKspotter

Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:25 am

Samurai 777 (or anyone else): Isn't it the other way around? Aphelion being the farthest away from the Sun, Perihelion being the closest?

Just wondering

-JFKspotter

Samurai 777

Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:56 am

SSTJumbo - Jupiter isn't truly a star, but I can see where you're coming from. Some scientists believe that Jupiter is a "failed star", meaning that the planet lacks the mass to ignite and become a star through thermonuclear fusion. Jupiter is a gas giant and is made mostly of hydrogen, just like the Sun and other stars in the galaxy. While the Sun is made of burning plasmic hydrogen, Jupiter's bulk is made up of liquid and liquid metallic hydrogen. (it's at a high enough atmospheric pressure deep down to not only be a liquid, but also conduct electricity like a metal - that also explains why Jupiter's magnetic field is so much more powerful than Earth's) A gas giant has be at least 60-80 times as massive as Jupiter to become a star.

It is theorized that the more massive a gas giant is, the more heat it will radiate - and Jupiter actually radiates twice as much heat as it gets from the Sun alone. Planets outside our solar system have been detected (through indirect means, usually by the gravity wobble it creates on its parent star as it orbits.), and many of them are even more massive than Jupiter and so may radiate even more heat than Jupiter does.

Recently, gas giant/star hybrids have been detected. These are known as brown dwarfs, because they are cooler than red dwarfs, the dimmest type of star known. Yet brown dwarfs lack the critical mass to ignite as a star. If seen close up, a brown dwarf would probably look like a reddish or brownish gas giant with unorganized, roiling cloud patterns. Yet, the cloud tops would be roasting hot - at about 700-1000 degrees Celsius (1292-1832 F), so a brown dwarf will glow a deep red on the night side. In comparison, Jupiter's cloud tops are very cold, at -140C (-220F). But Jupiter still gets hotter as you go deeper into the interior, as the Galileo atmospheric probe found out as it plunged into Jupiter on December, 1995 - it was at about 150C(302F) and 145 km (90 mi) deep by the time radio transmissions from the probe ceased after about an hour.

Samurai 777

Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:03 am

JFKSpotter - You're right! I got THAT one mixed up. Thanks for correcting me on this one. When you think about it, "Peri" comes from an ancient Greek word meaning "close", while "Apa" is "far". "-helion" comes from Helios, meaning the sun.

GDB

Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:07 am

If Jupiter wasn't around, neither would we be. The Huge planet's mass has acted like a cosmic hoover sucking in, or deflecting, many comets and other objects from entering the inner solar system, where some could hit Earth.
The last big Jupiter impact was with Comet Shoemaker-Levy in 1994.
As a result, such impacts are rare, keeping the Earth a stable enviroment for tens of millions of years at a time, allowing life to evolve.
Bad luck for the Dinosaurs then.