QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

What Are Your Views Of The US?

Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:08 pm

I'm just curious as to what people from other countries think about the United States. Good or bad. What do you think of us?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

jwenting

RE: What Are Your Views Of The US?

Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:51 pm

The country: nice place to visit, but would not want to live there (for various reasons)
The people: generally nice, but incredibly selfcentered and nationalistic. Ignorant of everything not that does not directly affects their own country or person.

This is of course generalising, but that is the average view an outsider gets when seeing Americans (especially Americans visiting other countries or Americans dealing with outsiders visiting the US).
I wish I were flying

Aussiemite

Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:44 pm

Not much.

PanAm747

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:15 pm

Have you ever thought about what Americans think of when they go to your country?

It's a two way street........
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Ikarus

Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:16 pm

Nice Country with some great scenery in some places. Not quite as crowded as Europe in many places.

The people are generally nice, the level of services is generations ahead of Europe and especially Germany (People packing your shopping bags and bringing them to the car? Shop assistants who actually know what products can be found where, and if they don't have it in stock, they know which other shop to go to? Incredible!), the USA is probably THE home of the high-tech industries, and THE market place for innovations (you guys get quite a few technological advances years ahead of everyone else, e.g. ADSL etc.), the home of entrepreneurial spirit, a very performance-based society (i.e. a Lordship title won't get you a good degree and a high job as easily) where ascending through your own work is encouraged.....

And on the negative side: quite a few people are way too patriotic, some people are *slightly* ignorant, some people actually believe the USA is the center of the world and everyone else is indebted to their glorious performance in WW2, and no one should dare speak up against them, the USA currently has a crap government, and the level of additives in foodstuffs is approaching food poisoning....

I guess I'll just have to wait a few years (until G_Dubya is out) before immigrating, then!

Regards

Ikarus

gkirk

Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:31 pm

Great scenery in places, eg the Rockies,
Most people seem k, but seems like there are lots of Patriots, eg as has been said before,"If it wasnt for the Americans, Europe would be ruled by Germany" lots of big-headed people.
G W Bush, I just hate the guy. He refused to enter that energy thing which would help sve the worlds climate thing. He is partially responsible for the Waeming of thr climate.
Apart from that most Americans seem to be cool people
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Alpha 1

Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:47 pm

GKirk said:

"G W Bush, I just hate the guy. He refused to enter that energy thing which would help save the worlds climate thing. He is partially responsible for the Warming of thr climate."

Uh, Bush has been in office since January, so I don't think he is remotely responsible for the warming of the Climate. I don't like the guy either, but I think statements like that are the height of irresponsibility and demogoguery.

Again, when the rest of Europe signs Kyoto, I have no problem with criticism of the U.S. on this issue.

Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:34 am

Well, some great places to visit.

People are generally nice but also tend to be selfish and arrogant after a while.
Don't care much about foreign affairs. Also don't know much about foreign affairs.
(remember Britney Spears not knowing where Australia is - says a lot!) School education ain't very good.
Always believe their country is the best and everything else is crap. Always have to play police of the world.
Food is alright.
Stores are great. Sports are awesome.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
B737-700

PanAm747

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:52 am

Just curious, but when you were over here how long did you stay?

Also, where did you stay?

And, what places did you visit?

If the answer to those questions are, less than a year, hotels, and tourist sites, then I don't think you have a very good basis for your opinion.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

B747-437B

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:53 am

Shouldn't it be "What are your views of us?" instead?

Because a definite article simply does not go in front of a pronoun.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Joona

Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:34 am

(remember Britney Spears not knowing where Australia is - says a lot!)

She also said there are polar bears on the streets of Helsinki. I have lived here for 17,4 years and haven't seen a single polar bear outside the Korkeasaari Zoo.

Joona  Smokin cool
1740 days idle. Beat that.

Pendrilsaint

Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:06 am

*sigh* basing your opinion on a pop stars ignorance...ITS BRTINEY SPEARS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! not the head of duke university or anything like that!

Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:16 am

Britney is also an American. And I know there are many like her.
Just check out the ignorance of some people on the "I think I hate America" thread and you'll see stuff like "I don't care where Rome is, what the capital of Rome (!!) is" ...

GDB

Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:15 am

Been to quite a few places in the States, though not for a few years.
Good; obviously the great diversity, good service, value, generally very friendly people. Loved NY, Frisco, Washington, parts of Florida, Vegas. Not so keen on LA.
And I'm British, not an Aussie!!!!!!

Bad; nothing related to being there. Find the religious far-right scary. For a nation responsible for so many great advances, the rise in 'cranky science' is odd. For example, I went to the COSMIVERSE site to see, and take part in, discussions about space exploration, only to find lots of stuff about UFO's, 'Apollo was a fake', 'dinosaur bones are fake', 'creationism is real' etc.

Oliver

Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:57 am

Pros:
-variety of products (cornflakes, ice cream, restaurants, shoes...anything!)
-science (Space, Medicine etc, but Aviation is REALLY going down; be aware of that Americans)
-universities (probably because they get more money from alumnis and fees than in Europe)
-Scenery (mountains, plains, citys, farms, palms, beaches, deserts...everything)
-highways
-friendly people in shopping malls
-air conditioned rooms, buses, etc...(Europeans live like in the stone Age, sweating as hell)
-police, FBI, CIA, NSA

Cons
-superficially (Europeans will be the same in 20 years, I guess)
-weapon law (A gun is not to protect you from the bad, it is the BAD thing itself!!! get it?)
-over-fat people
-Railroads are dying out!

NoUFO

Mon Jun 25, 2001 7:25 am

Good or bad - this may be too simple. There are always things I like and others I dislike. I would never say this or that nation was good or bad in general. You can meet both - nice people and idiots all around the globe.

What comes to my mind first when thinking of the German/American relationship is (or are): End of WW2 and "Adolf Nazi" (thank you), airlift (thank you), reunion (thank you).

Something I really like (compared to us Germans) is that Americans often don't hesitate for long to try something new. What you Americans call Adventure Capital (if memory serves me right) is called Risikokapital (Risk Capital) here. This explains a lot, hm? Making dreams real - this is where lots of Germans are weaker than most Americans are. And this is why so many brilliant people still move to the US, hmpfh. (You know now for sure that I'm not brilliant - that's why I'm still here, hehe  Big thumbs up )

Americans are often called arrogant, but compared to people here - especially in Berlin! - most of them are very nice and open-minded.

Attitudes I don't like: Some Americans have the funny idea that they have more freedom in the US compared to people in Germany (or in Europe). I highly doubt it.
When it comes to criticize the US administration (i.E. for not abolishing the death penalty or for poor social services) there are always some people who react childish ("go elsewhere", "don't come here", "communist!"). Criticism is important, though- the first step to improve things.
And sometimes I wish Americans would go a little deeper into things and take a closer look behind the effects.

Regards,
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

N400QX

Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:16 am

>G W Bush, I just hate the guy. He refused to enter that energy thing which would help sve the worlds climate thing. He is partially responsible for the Waeming of thr climate.

First I must congratulate you on your intelligently-written post. It was barely understandible, but I got the idea.

OK- that 'engery thing' that would 'help sve the worlds climate thing' is the Kyoto Treaty (I assume that is what you meant). If I'm not mistaken, only ONE country has ratified this treaty. And hopefully the US won't be one of the countries that end up ratifying it.

And the Most-Ignorant-Comment-of-the-Day Award goes to none other than yourself. "He is partially responsible for the Waeming of thr climate". Actually, no. President Bush is NOT responsible for the 'Waeming of thr climate' (I'm assuming that was supposed to read 'warming of the climate'). He has been in office since January and has done nothing to undo President Clinton's unconstitutional executive orders dealing with 'Waeming of thr climate', NOR has 'Waeming of thr climate' been proven! First the scientists say we're headed for another ice age, then they change their minds and we're headed for global warming!

>I highly doubt it

You can doubt it all you want but it is true. The stories I see on BBC about the ways the government intrude on people (such as what would be illegal search and seizure here) are downright scary and would be unconstitutional in the United States.

PanAm747

Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:38 am

Come on people nothing is going to come out of this....

haanz

Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:50 am

I have only visited the US once unfortunately, can't wait till it happens again though, hopefully not too far away.

I have on the other hand met a lot of Americans around the world, but then again some may ask how representative they are of your average American?

Hmmmm....

Great, interesting and deeply fascinating place, the US. Lot's of awesome scenery, and the young age of the nation and its cities gives it a special feel you don't get in Europe (in Europe you can virtually feel history).

The people are so amazingly unaffected and free from the tall poppy syndrome. Good at giving and taking compliments... I picked up one or two tricks from there.

SOME Americans seem to believe that everything outside the US is underdeveloped and dangerous. Coming from a small country you get a sinking feeling when people haven't even heard of it before. C'mon, at least the name of a country should be common knowlegde - and a bell should ring when you hear it. Please!! It doesn't help when I'm asked if we have electricity... or if polar bears are wandering around downtown. And meat doesn't come from the supermarket. You have to kill an animal first.

- If something is the best in the US... it's best in the world as well. Maybe, but check up on it first.

- The belief that typical American values are better than anything - and the failure to realise that there are more than one way to do things.

These are only based on what I have experienced first hand... which I admit is limited. Good and I wouldn't say bad... just amusing. Worth a laugh really.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to visit that great country of yours again! Go U.S.A.!

Jaspike

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:31 am

Big. I think it's 35% of Americans are overweight...or something like that. They think they are the best (no offence)

If I carry on, I will probably be offending people, so I'll shut up now.

QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:43 am

Jaspike---

Yeah, 35% are overweight. You know why? Because the Food and Drug lowered the weights of people of certain heights. I forget the numbers, but I'm 5'11'' and am 160 lbs and am thin as a rail, and now, I'm considered overweight too! Its a bunch of crap.

But thanks for the funny post  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 27, 2001 2:48 pm

A country with fantastic natural beauty. A country with many nice people.

On the bad side its a country that spends more time trying to solve other countries problems then its own, a country with to many bigheaded people and way too many cars !!

ryanb741

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:24 pm

GOOD: Diversity of scenery, excellent service mentality, optimism, openness, great fast food, energy, climate, quality of life, cheap land/housing/food, friendly people.

BAD: Regardless of what many Americans believe, Civil Liberties are less than what you would expect in most of Europe. Many Americans believe their country to be the best without having visited elsewhere. Poor education. Racism. Rednecks. Crap cars. Political correctness. Lawyers. Death penalty. G Dubya.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Oliver

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:37 pm

Ryanb741, why the hell do you think that America produces "Crap Cars"?
I think that you find nowhere any better deals for cars than in the US. A luxury Cadillac costs some 30000$, but for this price you only get a compact BMW 3 Series...(yeah, I know it's sportier, but it's just overpriced)

ryanb741

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:42 pm

Just look at the engines in terms of fuel efficiency etc. Come on, you are seriously telling me that US cars come up to the standards of Japanese or European counterparts! Have you ever seen cars like the Lincoln, etc?
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

747-600X

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:57 pm

I wonder what'd happen if I just cut-n-pasted that whole other run over here?

America the beautiful! Some girls are pretty but haven't got brains, but this doesn't stop them from being pretty. That's pretty much America. Very beautiful. Pretty harmless, not the most clever, likes to be popular but has a lot more potential than it makes use of. Appeals to the ditzier, glitzier, fancier, elite. Friendly to just about everyone but only because of self-esteem. In a word, shallow, a nation of grease, salt, sugar, and Hollywood. Candyland. Not enough meat'n'potatoes unless you live East of California, West of the Mississippi, or in Alaska.

QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:11 pm

747-600X---

Yeah... I read your other post... and if you don't like this country then LEAVE!!! While NOT saying this country is the best (cuz I know we have our problems), you don't know how lucky you are to be living here.

And why do you write this post acting like somebody from another nation?! We know you're from Chicago.

PS: Quit playing "Mr. Grown-up whose out to prove something."

go canada!

Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:32 pm

not much at all.its ok,but it isnt as brilliant as the pictures seem and no before you start, ive been before and im not a racist,im not anti-usa to i die, im objective.

i have visted new york/new jersey, florida, chicago,vegas san fran and la in my lifetime.

I have to say that most americans are nice people, unfortuntately quite a few hide behind their americans values.these values that allow for racism, gun battles,death penalty

"The stories I see on BBC about the ways the government intrude on people (such as what would be illegal search and seizure here) are downright scary and would be unconstitutional in the United States."

Please inform me, what bbc?
bbc america, bbc world, bbc prime,where have you seen these stories.I live in the uk, i have bbc one, two, news 24, parliament,cbbc,choice and knowledge as well was bbc radio one,2,3,3 and five live, bbc local radio, bbc world service and bbc prime and bbc world tv from another satillite dish.please inform me about my goevrnments supposed intrusion.

our governemnt isnt the one who thinks that drinking at 18 is a bad idea yet you can drive when your 14 in some circumstances.our country doesnt think its a good idea for manics to hold guns, our country doesnt distort history, nor monitor its subjects.We have an education system and free health care.

we have freedom of speech and a data protection act as well as the european human rights act, our government may have a better spy network than the fools over at the cia but we arent mointoring people and i want to see proof of your accusations.

i used to really like america, in a way i still do.the scencery is wondeful,the airports arent bad either and most people are nice.your malls arent as big as britains and you cant play football but never mind.I love baseball,american football and ice hockey(thought thats more of a canada thing).

however, you cant take criticism as seeen on this thread and the i think i hate the usa thread. Some of you cant open your eyes and realise that you arent the centre of the universe and that other countries do have a say in the world.

no doubt the immature idiots will stay flaying me again,before you do stop and think.are you 100% happy with your country, do you think that it cant be criticised at all?

the answer is that it can be,i stop and think about the UK, canada and ireland(triple nationally, dont even go there) and I realise that they arent all brilliant all the time.

The UK is pricey and the weather can change.Canada can have a warped sense of humour and irish airports arent brilliant, but what makes other countries, especially european ones(and im not really a great fan of europe, im not a european-super state person) is that we can take criticism and we change and evolve, unfortunately it seems that some americans cant.

you have great sports, great scenecy, funny airport employess, especially at LAX in the americans terminal, they are great!You have some friendly people and new york isnt all bad, in fact i like new york and it isnt as bad as people say.

krgds to you all
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Oliver

Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:48 am

Ryanb741: Amercian cars ONLY use more gas because they are normally bigger (heavier!), and they have bigger engines. If you take a Jaguar S-Type (10 litres/100km, or 24mpg) and compare it with a Lincoln LS (twin-car) there's no difference!
However, the Town Car from Lincoln uses less gas than the Mercedes S600. In this special case, the Mercedes is just heavier and has got a bigger enginge.
It's not that American cars use more gas, they are often just heavier and have bigger engines. Not to forget that Americans love to cool down their cars which uses additional gas.
Don't take this personal, but I just wanted to solve this misunderstanding.
Oliver

CPDC10-30

Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:24 am

Americans are very friendly people, despite the chest-thumping silliness displayed by some of the US members on this board. I find that they are somewhat ignorant about international issues and culture, but not because they want to...just because they aren't exposed to much of it in their media and shcooling. When you talk to them in person they aren't as ignorant as many here presume.

There are plenty of ignorant dumb Canadians, let me tell you that! And most of them are the ones that will go around saying "we're better than you are".

cwapilot

Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:57 am

I think a statement made in the very first response on this thread is appropriate for the whole thing: "these are just generalizations." A more approrpiate topic may be "What did you think of the city you visited in the United States for 2 Weeks several years ago?" or "What is your 'opinion' of the US government and its leaders based on European media spin?"

Making generalizations about a bunch of big-headed, overweight, ignorant people only puts on display the ignorance present in Europe and Canada...so I guess we're all in the same boat. Or, maybe, in different nations, things are looked at in different ways. Those ways may be perfectly fine for Country A, but should not be used as a reference point to judge Country B. Why would any of you think that the US should be open to, which translates into ACCOUNTABLE TO, criticism by people from outside the country who are just as ignorant of affairs within the US as they claim US citizens to be about affairs in other countries.

All countries have "rednecks" or "hillbillies" or whatever you want to call small minded, under-educated usually rural people. They are not representative of the entire nation, though. For you to, on the one hand, complain about the USA's power in the world, and then claim that the nation knows nothing of world affairs, is pure idiocy! It doesn't happen by accident!

One thing that is common on both sides of the pond is the willingness of people to speak as if they are an authority on topics, when they are ignorant of true facts and entitely dependent for information on media spin. I find this most often in the criticism of President Bush. All criticisms of the man are based not on fact, but on ignorance of who the man is and what he is about. And if you really do hate him so much, by acting as you do, you are playing right into his hands! Everthing he has gone into in his political career consisted of his opponents criticizing him, not based on facts, but on his supposed stupidity. He then proceeds to win because he was greatly underestimated.

Fortunately, some of the European media establishent is seeing the error of its ways, based on his recent visit. I, as an uninformed, ignorant American with no concept of the outside world, do, in fact, pay attention to foreign media sources and keep tabs on what is going on in the world. (My wife is from Indonesia, which I am pretty sure is NOT just south of Florida like my German friend from college first thought.) So, I do have some interesting quotes for you regarding your ill-informed opinions of President Bush:

BELGIUM: HET LAATSTE NIEUWS observed (6/15): "Prime Minister Verhofstadt
now knows why George Walker Bush was elected president of the United States:
because of his charm and enchanting personality... Bush's trip is a real
'operation charm.'"

ENGLAND: The TIMES observed (6/14): "President Bush urged America's NATO
allies to abandon their Cold War mindsets and jettison the 1972
Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty as he made a passionate case yesterday for
building defenses against the threat of missile attack from rogue states..."

FRANCE: Jean Quatremer opined in left-of-center LIBERATION (6/14):
"Yesterday, during his brief address at the NATO summit, the U.S. president
managed a tour de force as he showed the Allies' reservations toward Missile
Defense to be outdated and obsolete...."

FRANCE: Marc Paolini in centrist LA TRIBUNE (06/15): "George W. Bush
continues to amaze Europe. Twenty-four hours after his performance before
the Atlantic Alliance, the new American president accomplished another
perfect performance in Goteborg.... He impressed the participants with his
knowledge of the issues, his authority over his team, and his overall
cleverness..."

ITALY: Alberto Pasolini Zanelli in leading center-right IL GIORNALE (6/14):
"But for sure the U.S. president scored a considerable success upon his
debut at a NATO summit and managed to do so much quicker than most observers
on both sides of the Atlantic expected."

POLAND: Jan Skorzynski wrote in centrist Rzeczpospolita (6/15): "George W.
Bush began his tour of Europe in an impressive way. Decisions on the second
round of NATO enlargement made at the Brussels summit, which was attended by
the U.S. president, is very good news--and not only for the aspiring
countries, but also for Poland...."

Would it be fair for me to go off on Tony Blair, because I think he is goofy? I can think he is a complete moron, and back it up with plenty of written material found from many sources within the US and other places...but my opinion would be worthless because, when all is said and done, I haven't had to live under his government, and can't possibly have the insight into the man that a resident of London (that's in the UK, right?) would. The pathetic part is all of the Americans that also bash him for being stupid and uninformed, instead of actually taking on the intellectual task of disagreeing with him on specific issues and supporting or devising reasonable alternatives. Much easier to call someone dumb, I guess.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

cwapilot

Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:04 am

More on President Bush vis a vis Europe, or It's a Two-Way Street, Guys

NOT A BUFFOON AFTER ALL

By: Alan Caruba
Judging from all the huffing and puffing coming out of the leaders of the European Union, plus the Red Brigade kiddies in the streets, and the endless bloviating of the leftist US press, one would have to judge President Bush's trip to Europe a success. He went there and told him what the new US policy would be. Like it or lump it. Unlike Europe, the US is not mired in the past.
Despite the constant effort to portray George W. Bush as a buffoon, if you just watch and listen to him as I did when he gave his speech in Poland, you come away with a far different impression than one filtered through the press. He is not a skilled orator, but he is sincere. He knows what he believes and I think he believes in the power of people to improve their lives if they just pull together toward common goals. This is a quintessentially American outlook.

Did anyone notice he did not go to either France or Germany? These are the two most dominant of EU nations, but he passed them by. Talk about sending a message. And the message was, "We are the sole super power and if we want to build a missile shield and toss that idiotic UN Climate Protocol in the waste basket, well, guess what, we will." The bottom line is that we have individual States that generate more trade than most of the fifteen member nations of the EU. Last year, the United States' trade just with Mexico was equal to 65% of the total commerce with the EU. Of our five largest trade partners, only one is in Europe.

Bush even found time last week to let the Navy know what the Navy has known for a long time. They can't use the Puerto Rican island, Vieques, for target practice any more. Why? Because Hispanics are a growing portion of the US population, they vote, and this President knows when to say "You win" in Spanish. The island has been used since 1941. Bush gave the Navy two years to find another island. And, of course, some people still complained.

When Bush sat down with the crown prince of the KGB, Vladimir Putin, president of Russian Federation, that master spy was looking across the table at a man whose father was once the Director of the CIA, whose father served as Vice President to Ronald Reagan, a man who outspent the former USSR into oblivion, and who was also President until the KGB's agent-of-influence, William Jefferson Clinton, got elected. That means GW knew what Putin had for breakfast that morning.

Putin looked and sounded like a man who wanted to cut a deal with the President. He has been steadily consolidating his own power base in Russia and, ironically, it is the Communist party there that is giving him the most trouble. The big issue these days is property ownership and sales, the cornerstone of a Capitalist economy. In the press conference following their meeting, Putin used the phrase "strategic defense architecture" and that translates as "missile shield." While Putin followed the Bush visit with tough talk about re-arming Russia's missiles, one gets the feeling that was more for home consumption than a rejection of the need to work more closely with the US.

During the President's week in Europe, the US was treated to hearing Sen. Teddy Kennedy praising Bush for his support of the education bill. Let me repeat that. Teddy Kennedy thinks Bush is doing a good job for the nation's school children. You can disagree with the education package-and I do-but you have to admire GW's political skills.

The European Union is yet another hare-brained collectivist scheme that leftists love, but never works according to their dreams. Germany is very different from France and it, in turn, is very different from Italy. And so on. And so on. These disparate nations will never be able to function effectively with a single Euro currency and other regulations because, in case you haven't noticed, they have different languages, different cultures, different problems affecting their economies. When Tony Blair won re-election in the United Kingdom, the Pound Sterling took a nosedive in the money markets. When the moneychangers don't trust your currency, you are in trouble.

Europe is very old and very decadent. Its population is too. And therein lies the long-term problem. Europeans are not having enough European babies. The issue of immigration is going to become an obsession among Europeans who are highly nationalist. These are also people who, in the past century, went to war against each other twice with disastrous results. Those who didn't get involved in WWII, like the Swedes and the Swiss, were quite happy to do business with the Nazis. In Sweden, where they had the biggest protests to Bush, they also have the highest suicide rate in a total cradle-to-grave Socialist nation.

Following WWII, the Soviets dominated Eastern Europe until they fell apart. This was the direct result of German dreams of conquest. Ironically, it was the Germans in World War I that let Lenin cross into Russia, thus facilitating the creation of the Soviet Union. The Germans totally screwed up the history of Europe throughout the last century and their opinions of George W. Bush are of no interest to me. The French hold the French in high regard. Few others do.

Over and over again, the Europeans have demonstrated that they don't know how to function in the real world. They still cling to their Leftist dreams. The stresses and strains of this century are going to utterly transform that continent. If anything, it will become less "European" as people from less developed nations move there seeking a better life.

Why hasn't America experienced this intellectual, artistic, and economic stagnation? It stems from our unique heritage as a nation of immigrants. We accept the fact that foreigners are going to come here and become-guess what-Americans! There is something very appealing in having a common Constitution--the oldest functioning one in the world--and a common love of freedom and the fast buck.

Let the media make fun when Bush occasionally mangles the language whether speaking either English or Spanish, the important thing here is that he does, in fact, speak a second language, reflecting the growing importance of the Hispanic population in the US. Here's a tip, you better start learning Spanish, too.

Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

AerLingus

Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:32 am

Well, alot can be said for the United States in the way of technological advancements, medical and biological breakthroughs and manufacturing systems.
The United States continues to be a leader in development of technology and manufacturing, of which I am proud.

The United States political system, a presidential democracy, seems to work well for us and I believe that we have no reason to do away with it. As with it's parliamentary counterpart, the US system spurs intelligent debate, and gives Americans a chance to express their views through voting among other things.
This too, is something of which I am proud.

The United States educational system is a mixed bag of thousands of independant school districts across the nation, all of which with various standards of different types. This is unacceptable, considering the school districts not only have varying academic medium, but also have various levels of governmental help. The rural districts are left worse off, while the suburban districts near major cities are able to fair relatively well. The idea of having these thousands of seperate districts is preposterous as it forces all different kinds of curriculums to fit a single standard in the end, which causes the high schooler to enter a mad dash down to the wire to ensure that he or she is able to meet not only their district exit requirements, but the requirements of the university of which they wish to attend. Those opposed to a standardised educational system should get off of their constitutional high-horse and realise that what they intend to perpetuate is hurtful.

I believe that American school-age children have been poorly taught in the world beyond their borders and this is perpetuating an ignorance that is utterly silly and rediculous. Again, standardisation comes into play.

Despite GW, I believe that the United States remains one of the forerunners in environmental conservation and I am also proud of that.

The US is very rough-edged, but we are a decent country, primarily made up of hard working individuals who believe in their country and that, above all is something to be proud of.  Smile
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

kolobokman

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:01 am

I was going to reply with something very intelegent, but some of the Americans here (QANTAS747-438, PanAm747, N400QX) just will not understand, so I'll shut up...

artiom
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

JetService

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:02 am

I think a lot of the stereotype that Americans get from Europeans are because of the sampling they see. They say Americans are generally ignorant and arrogant, but otherwise nice.

Keep in mind of the type of Americans that travel to Europe. Usually high-level executives and rich vacationers. Even Americans stereotype executives and rich people as arrogant. As for ignorant; well anyone travelling will seem stupid because they are simply not accustomed to the city they are visiting. And when a different language is spoken, it compounds the problem. Something as simple as a street sign can confuse even the smartest traveller. Of course they will seem stupid. Does this make sense to anyone?

As for the patriotic thing. Yeah, I see that too, but I don't think its so bad. I suspect a majority of the people on the planet loves their country.
"Shaddap you!"

JetService

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:55 am

Kolo, just a tip from Uncle JetService: When ripping someone about their smarts, don't misspell 'intelligent'. It just leaves you wide open to ridicule.

"Shaddap you!"

BO__einG

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:57 am

USA ~~ A_OK
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

go canada!

Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:11 pm

Britain a left wing country? are you kidding me? You have got to be joking!!!

We may have a labour government but its a left wing as president bush!Our labour government is a centre party and has stolen a lot of conservative policies.

In britain we dont have a major left wing party, we have a right wing(Tory/conservative), a centre party(labour) and a smaller centre which ever so slightly moves to the left in the lib dems.

it seems we have a typical stereotype of an american who doesnt think before they opne their trap:
"When Tony Blair won re-election in the United Kingdom, the Pound Sterling took a nosedive in the money markets. When the moneychangers don't trust your currency, you are in trouble."

the reason why the British pound fell after the election is because some fools in the labour party want to scrap it for the weaker euro.It makes sense that when a stance-anti euro leader losses an election and the party in government is failry pro-european that the pund will dive.the pound is still one of the strongest currencies in the world and 'money traders' do have confidence in it as they now realise that tony blair doesnt seem to want a vote on the euro anytime soon.

We are not in economic trouble, far from it, we are actually doing better than the usa and we may escape the usa-led economic downturn!!!!!!

So i dont see a country in trouble.

now the EU, the eu is a trading organisation:no leader of an eu country says they want a european super-state, no leader in the eu thinks we should all give up our national indentities, so I fail to see your point.The current eu has increased stability in europe and has led to closer-co-operation between member states.Its increased trade and promoted investment, especially in the economically-smaller countries like spain,portgual and ireland

what i see is a stereotypical american who cant accept they the USA isnt perfect.

also the comment from the times paper- i dont see any praise, i dont see comments about how george bush jnr is promoting world peace or is a strong leader.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

PanAm747

Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:16 pm

Are you guys still wasting your time over this?