KCLE

New Grocery Store Coming To Cleveland!

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:20 pm

As any Clevelanders in here know, the old Stop-n-Shop stores were bought by Pittsburgh, PA based Giant Eagle. Giant Eagle is making quick work of these old Stop-n-Shop store. Most of these stores are either going to be closed, remodeled, or handed over to a new grocery store. This new store is called Rini-Rego's Sparkle Mart. Giant Eagle is in the process of converting 4 of their "crappy" stores into Sparkle Marts. Eventually, 20 of the 56 original Stop-n-Shops bought, will become Sparkle Marts. Since Sparkle Marts are in surrounding areas, such as Youngstown, does anyone have any opinions on this topic?

PanAm747

RE: New Grocery Store Coming To Cleveland!

Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:44 pm

I think there is a Sparkle Mart in Wellington.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Stretch 8

Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:12 pm

Cleveland - the "mistake by the lake," and "Detroit without all the glamour." Is the river still on fire?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

PanAm747

Stretch 8

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:18 am

Ouch! I know about the river and lake thing but I never heard the one about Detroit. You must be jealous of all of our culture in northeast Ohio.

But seriously, our city has really improved lately.

About the river, just think, if it didn't catch on fire "Major League" wouldn't have came here.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Soku39

Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:17 am

I would be ashamed to shop at something named sparkle mart. This is not really a new chain either just another Giant Eagle franchise. it would be nice to have a different store than TOPS and GE has. dunno why thou.  Nuts
The Ohio Player

Stretch 8

Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:11 pm

PanAm747: sorry for the bad jokes, but I couldn't resist. I grew up in Detroit, and went to law school in Toledo. One of my best friends is running for city council in Cleveland. We "rust-belters" have to stick together!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

PanAm747

Stretch 8

Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:46 am

Really for city council? I am going to volunteer to help this person for Ward 8.

That's ok about the jokes, the Detroit one was pretty funny.

che

RE: Stretch 8

Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:28 am

Yeah! I'll tell my mom.

btw-Cleveland is'nt that bad of a city and no the rivers not on fire anymore  Smile
But there are nicer cities that C-town

che

Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:51 pm

Tops isn't a bad chain. We have two of them in Ithaca, but they don't come close to Wegman's. Now thats a great supermarket.

Today the supermarket industry is run by a few players who own most brands:

Penn Traffic: (a public company)
BiLo Foods
P&C Foods
Riverside Markets
Quality Markets
Big Bear
Big Bear Plus

Delhaize America: (owned by Delhaize in Belgium)
Kash n' Karry
Food Lion
Hannaford Bros
Shop'n Save

Albertsons: (a public company)
Jewel
Albertsons
ACME
Sav-On Drugs
OscoDrug

AholdUSA (owned by Royal Ahold N.V. in The Netherlands)
Stop & Shop
BI-LO
GIANT Food Stores
Giant Food
Super G
freshgo by Giant
Tops Markets

The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (public)
A&P
Waldbaums
Food Emporium
Super Foodmart
Super Fresh
Farmer Jack
Kohl's
Sav-A-Center
Ultra Food & Drug
Dominion
Food Basics
The Barn Markets

Safeway (public)
Vons
Dominick's
Safeway
Randalls
Tom Thumb
Carrs

Other large chains include:
Publix, Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, Dagostinos, Wegman's, Shaw's, Giant Eagle, and Harris Teeter.

rgds
russ