747-600X
Topic Author

Pastor's Sermon Resounds With American "sickness"

Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:33 pm

My pastor gave a sermon today just as happens every Sunday. As soon as the words started flowing, I started writing. This time I shall let it come from someone else's mouth. I do not know how to spell the people's names, but they are in the bible, in the chapter of Kings. Naeman, a lepre who was a famous general, and Elijah the prophet are the two important ones...

"This week we celebrate the 4th of July, our 'Independence Day'. But I think it would be better off called 'Freedom Day'... to remind us of what this country is really about. Or is it? Naeman went to Elijah seeking to have his flesh cleaned, and Elijah said to him "Go and bathe in the Jordan seven times" and Naeman, great general Naeman, thougt this to be beneath him and said, "I have rivers at home that cleaner than your Jordan, why can't I bathe in them?" and turned and went away. His servants came to him and said, "If he had asked of you something harder, you would have done it. Can you not do this simple task?" and Naeman was humbled and went to bathe in the Jordan... this is the story of our country, far far more often. What is it we are free from? On the outside we appear very strong and healthy, like Naeman and his mighty reputation, but inside we are not able or willing to humble ourselves. Like Naeman, America suffers a sickness which is harmless, but humiliating. It is a gruesome statistic that if it weren't for churches in this country, two out of three charity missions wouldn't exist, and probably more." She went on to state that it was God's work that was keeping the homeless housed and hungry fed in this country, and while I don't know if that's true, it certainly is true that the country itself ain't doin' much.

Okay okay. Go ahead and shout.

PanAm747

RE: Pastor's Sermon Resounds With American "sickness"

Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:43 pm

Do we really need this all again, haven't we learned from the other 8 threads? It is just going to end up as another shouting match between people who think this country is good and people who think this country is bad.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

747-600X
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:46 pm

Thanks for starting it, PanAm.

N400QX

Mon Jul 02, 2001 3:02 pm

I agree, 600X. The majority of charities in this nation are religious in nature and provide the care that the poor and homeless need. We give generously to charity because, as the Bible says, "Thou shalt surely open thy hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor, in thy land"(Deuteronomy 15:11) and Proverbs 14:21b says that "blessed is he who is kind to the needy."

You are right- religious charities are what hold many people together in this nation. Contrary to the destructive nature of government "charity" programs, private programs do much good in this nation.

Happy Independence Day!

zach -- N400QX

cwapilot

Tue Jul 03, 2001 11:15 pm

STOP THE PRESSES: 747-600X Agrees With President Bush; But Still Refuses to do Anything Positive, Only Continues to Bitch

Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!