blink182

Independence Day- Lost It's Meaning?

Fri Jul 06, 2001 11:36 am

As evidenced by VirginLover's post
"I get it, I am sorry"
(I think that is what it is titled), most American teens don't know their country's heritage.
I have started thinking awhile back that most people think Independence day is "National Fireworks Day" As I was at my country club on July 4 at night witnessing the fireworks going off, there was no hint of Red,White, or Blue. Instead it was like Mardi Gras with lots of purple,green, and golds. I was surprised as the fireworks didn't show any USA colors. Also, people party and stuff like that on July 4, and that is totally understandable, I party also.
But, it seems that when people celebrate Independance Day, they don't think or remember altogether about what Independance Day really is, or the efforts and persistance that our countrymen did to free us[Americans] from England. They don't think about how good and fortunate we are to have FREEDOM and what freedom really is. And the famous battles and events that occured in the USA.(Battle of Bunker Hill, Civil War, Declaration of Independance)
Am I the only one who feels that Independance Day has a whole new meaning, one that really doesn't recognize the history and how fortunate the USA did and how many people died for the United States of America?
feel free to comment, whether you agree with me or not. Or even if you aren't from the states.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

BH346

RE: Independence Day- Lost It's Meaning?

Fri Jul 06, 2001 11:56 am

Yeah, it seems like nowadays its only a day when you can buy stuff and make it explode.

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

bombstar

Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:32 pm

"You can celebrate the independance of your country by blowing up a small part of it"

-The Simpsons

blink182

Fri Jul 06, 2001 11:52 pm

Bombster- lol
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...