4-6 Million Votes Not Counted In 2000 Pres. Vote!

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:27 am

Hey,

I just saw this on CNN. They said 4 to 6 million votes were not counted during the 2000 presidential election. Anyone have any more news on this?

BTW, sorry to start another vote thing, but this is big!

KROC

RE: 4-6 Million Votes Not Counted In 2000 Pres. Vote!

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:30 am

No offense, but I find this statement to be Bullshit. What I saw on CNN was facts found out about the Florida vote count, which sowed if all the votes were counted correctly, Bush would have still won Florida, albeit by 25something votes.

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:34 am

Yeah.

It was on the bottom line in yellow.

Anyone else seen it yet?

mls515

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:42 am

Just when I thought I'd never hear about this again!

EGGD

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:45 am

Yeah for some reason my vote wasn't counted, couldn't think why  Confused

JetService

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:48 am

Damn that sucks!!! Bush would've beaten Gore by thousands more if these had been counted!!
Phooey!
"Shaddap you!"

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:55 am

Uh-oh,

I think I just started another Democrat vs. Republican topic which will have 300 replies of people fighting before it's deleted.

Ooops.

LOL

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:29 am

It's not big, at all, in my view. The election is over, why stir up the pot after the fact. George Walker Bush was our Constitutionally elected president. Everyone needs to move on.

tupolev154b2

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:53 am

OK, so Gore should have been President and I am someone who conservatives like JetService would call a "bleeding-heart liberal." But I am sick of this election garbage and one must remember that the number of votes higher than what his opponent received that Gore received is equivalent to 1% of the U.S. population. So when will people just get over with the election business and move on? You can't change the past you know.

John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:02 pm

I will never move on. I will talk and scream about this for the rest of my life.

How could you guys just look at that and say, "Let's forget about it."

When votes aren't counted, there is the potential of getting someone in office who is not what the Amercian poeple wanted.

I think that's what happened this time.

USAir_757

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:02 pm

I am sick of all this election garbage. Like it or not, George W. Bush is our president now. I personaly am proud of that. I am a 100% republican and being 8 years under democrats was too much for me, let alone 12 and then possibly 16.

I am not 'flaming' democrats, I respect gore supporters equally.

Will you people please move on.
-Cullen Wassell @ MLI | Pentax K5 + DA18-55WR + Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:15 pm

Mr. Edwards, we can forget about it because it doesn't matter now!! It's over!! It's finished!! Mr Gore is teaching. If it mattered now, he'd be sitting in the White House!! Drop it, already, and move on!!!

NJTurnpike

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:18 pm

Good grief, this is like eating some bad pizza and then have it repeat on you...some 8 months later. It's done, finished, over. Truly, this will be consigned to the history books for tomorrow's generation to mull, scratch their heads over and base their homework on. So let's leave it there, eh?

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:23 pm

I would like this to end as well.

I just thought I would share what I saw about it on CNN.

Sorry.

Sad

John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 12:26 pm

Stop telling me to get over it. I will never get over it.

If we sweep this under the rug, 6 million people will be disenfranchised next time. What happened in 2000 was huge. It's still unbelievable to me, how the presidency was decided by voting epuipment in Miami (That's just one of the many reasons why this thing was messed up).

It will hurt no one to spend the money on election reform.

AL GORE 2004!

cba

Tue Jul 17, 2001 2:04 pm

Although there is no word in the English language to describe how much I despise Bush, and I do think that Gore was cheated out of being President by Bush's ring of conservative buddies in Florida, it is time to move on. Like it or not, the idiot is our president.

b757300

Tue Jul 17, 2001 2:08 pm

Hey Johnny Boy, your doctor called and said that your blood pressure is getting a little high. Calm down before you have a heart attack.

BTW, notice how he thinks all the votes were for Al Gore?
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

b757300

Tue Jul 17, 2001 2:20 pm

Stuff like that cba is the reason I took you off my respected users list. I can respect difference of opinions but not the venom I see on this forum from Sore Loserman liberals.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

RealHigh

Tue Jul 17, 2001 2:31 pm

BTW, I didn't vote for Gore either. I voted for Ralph Nader.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:11 pm

I'd say it's most likely true. 4-6 million not counted in 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988 etc etc. GWB is the, ahem, ELECTED POUS. I wish however that it were GHWB instead, (his daddy for those that don't know). G Sr was the only president we've had in this country in the last 40 years that knew his ass from a hole in the ground. (respectful nod to James Earl Carter, a great man and good president. Just bad timing for him)
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

UA752

Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:11 pm

I cant believe how all you people are just saying...."oh shit, lets just forget about it!".....How can you possibly say that?? If we all just forget about it then what is going to stop anorther fiasco like this from happening again? Im not at all saying that we should be dwelling on it but there is no way that anyone should "forget about it". This past election was probably the worst process in our nations history of electing leaders. We all need to learn a lesson from this. And about that 4-6 million votes thing, how the hell can some people say that we should just ignore them and just disregaurd them because, "they all would have been votes for Bush anyways". Thats total bullshit! If you actually count them and they are in fact votes for bush, then hay, thats just fine and dandy. But you cant just not count them!! Thats so kurrupt and the people that didnt count these votes are denying 4-6 million people their constitutional right to having a say in the gov't. Thats what is bullshit. 4-6 million votes may have just made the difference in this election. And to all those who are gonna get on my ass about "crying, and whining" about the election, you all know god damn well that you would have the same feelings if your candidate didnt have the opportunity to have 4-6 million votes counted.

An-225

Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:17 pm

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

jwenting

Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:22 pm

You people don't even know your own laws...

When one candidate has reached a certain majority in a state (i.e. has over X percent (X > 50) of all votes cast counted for him/her/it) the vote is terminated as there is no point in going on (the other candidate can never get a majority anymore).
This can in theory lead to a state where say 20 million votes were cast going to a candidate with over 9 million votes not counted.
X can differ between states, as election law differs between states.
I wish I were flying

Twotterwrench

Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:53 pm

As much as you bleeding hearts want to believe it, every vote does NOT count! This is because our government was established as a Republic, NOT a democracy. I'll say the again for you really dim witted people. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY. The fact that our government was formed as a Republic was painfully deliberate. The founding fathers knew that true democracy is always doomed to failure. Fact is, popular vote doesn't matter a damn and it's a good thing it doesn't. Otherwise, every President we had would be elected by the densely populated East Coast and those of us in remotely populated areas such as alaska would have no say and no representation. We have to go back to JR. High civics I guess. As to the mysterious 2 million uncounted votess, if you had listened to the whole story you would have found that vast numbers of these were votes from overseas personnell who traditionally vote republican. No wonder sore-loserman didn't make a big issue out of this. The other votes came largely from inner city districts and were a result of improperly marked ballots. Voting is a right which carries a responsibility. Learning how to fill out your ballot properly is part of this responsibility. If you can't do it correctly, then, no, your vote will not and should not be counted. Those tallying ballots have no ability nor legal right to "interperet" what a disenfranchised voter "meant" to vote for. Nor do you have a right to scream you couldn't figure it out AFTER the votes are tallied and you don't like the result. If you really can't figure it out, ask one of the people working the polling place to help out.

John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:11 pm

I'm glad to know you're happy we don't live in a democracy. And we all know that we don't. We all know that we're screwed by the electoral college.

You said that if it weren't for the EC, you would have no representation. WELL YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY REPRESENTATION BECAUSE ALASKA HAS 3 PEOPLE, and CALIFORNIA HAS 33 MILLION. Why do you feel that you deserve more representation, simply because of the way the borders were drawn?

You think you have more voting power than everyone on the east coast?

I bet this won't make you happy;
Some homeless person in D.C. (which voted 86% for Al Gore) is more powerful than you are. The population of D.C. is 572,059 while that of Alaska is 626,932. Yet, both have 3 electoral votes! D.C. was raised to your level.

I can't wait. I JUST CAN'T WAIT until the Republicans lose an election because of the popular vote (it will happen). I am going to laugh in all of your faces and then go hide behind the constitution.

You know it's wrong, and you know you only support it because George Bush won.

AA@STL

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:14 pm

Twotterwrench,

From the things you say, you seem exactly like the type of person who messes up his ballot, everytime.

And, I'm not ashamed to defend you by saying, "Those who are not educated...are people too."

John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:42 pm

HA! You know what else I just found out,

Census 2000 (results released in 2001) Populations:
Texas: 20,852,820 people
New York: 18,976,457 people

But, because of outdated census numbers (from 1990), in the 2000 election, New York had 33 electoral votes, while Texas had 32!!!!!! HA!

That means the those great New York Democrats had more power than those deep-voiced Texan Republicans!

It always warms my heart to see Republicans being cheated.

Oh, but I forgot, we can't bring up atrocites like this, because it's in the constitution! Hey, doesn't the constitution have some sort of equal protection thingy also? Well then, how come a New Yorker is better than a Texan? How come a Vermont native is better than an Alaskan? How come a Wyominger is better than a Californian? I guess we can't ask questions like that, because the constitution is perfect, and would never make a mistake like that.

The constitution's motto:
EVERYONE IS EQUAL, UNDER THE LAW***

It's funny how the supreme court stopped the recount by saying, Recounting some votes more than others violates the equal protections act. Yet, the equal protections act does not apply to voting and the electoral college.

The Electoral College itself, is unconstitutional.

***Except when it comes to voting, where state lines shall determine who is more important.

Twotterwrench

Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:39 pm

Ummmmm.... the whole argument you are making is EXACTLY why a Republic is needed. It is the only way you can even remotely level the playing field so equal representation is had by all. You think a democracy would make things fair? I would love to hear you justify that. And you'll have to go deeper than the "then everyone has an equal say" argument because in a democracy where a Federal government rules states of varying populations, states with smaller populations are vastly underrepresented in a true democracy. Say that Alaska's current population is 500,000.. using round numbers to keep it simple. New York's current population is 19 million. In a democracy, New York would need only come up with 250,001 votes to overcome Alaska's voting power in a Presidential election. In a Republic, overcoming Alaska's 3 electoral votes, would require 9,500,001 popular votes to achieve the 33 electoral votes needed to overcome Alaska's vote. THAT is how state's powers are leveled in a Republic and why Democracy won't work in a union of federalized states. Also, AA...little boy.. whatever in the world would make you think I am not educated? You quite possible aren't even old enough to vote yet, judging by your profile. I refuse to have to list my credentials to a kid who probably hasn't even graduated from high school. Come talk to me when YOU have an education alright?

IMissPiedmont

RE: Jwenting

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:05 pm

Where on earth did you get such a ridiculous piece of misinformation? All votes are counted, or are supposed to be, regardless of whether they mean anything.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Matt D

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:14 pm

Twotterwrench said:

"As much as you bleeding hearts want to believe it, every vote does NOT count! This is because our government was established as a Republic, NOT a democracy. I'll say the again for you really dim witted people. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY. The fact that our government was formed as a Republic was painfully deliberate. The founding fathers knew that true democracy is always doomed to failure. Fact is, popular vote doesn't matter a damn and it's a good thing it doesn't. Otherwise, every President we had would be elected by the densely populated East Coast and those of us in remotely populated areas such as alaska would have no say and no representation. We have to go back to JR. High civics I guess. As to the mysterious 2 million uncounted votess, if you had listened to the whole story you would have found that vast numbers of these were votes from overseas personnell who traditionally vote republican. No wonder sore-loserman didn't make a big issue out of this. The other votes came largely from inner city districts and were a result of improperly marked ballots. Voting is a right which carries a responsibility. Learning how to fill out your ballot properly is part of this responsibility. If you can't do it correctly, then, no, your vote will not and should not be counted. Those tallying ballots have no ability nor legal right to "interperet" what a disenfranchised voter "meant" to vote for. Nor do you have a right to scream you couldn't figure it out AFTER the votes are tallied and you don't like the result. If you really can't figure it out, ask one of the people working the polling place to help out."

I could not have said this better myself.

macyjet

RE: John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:31 pm

John Edwards, you are an idoit!!!
I'm usually subdued but stupid statements like that can not go unchallenged. The electoral college itself is unconstitutional?
The constitution is not a very large document, it would take you maybe 10 to 20 minutes to read its text. Find a copy and read Article 2 and the 12th amendment. It gives the exact instruction for the electoral college- read it the make informed not imotional comments. As a fake senator you should know this...
ONCE AGAIN, YOU ARE A MORON!!!!

There got some frustration out

Alpha 1

RE: John Edwards

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:43 pm

A few points here, folks.

Those 6 million votes were NOT all from overseas, as Twotterwrench, ever the blind one-sider, would have us believe. They're talking about 4-6 million overall.

Secondly, it's more than likely that those votes not counted would have split about they way they did among the votes counted. There is a chance that, with those votes, Mr. Gore might have won-MIGHT. But there's an equally good chance that Mr. Bush would still have come out on top. There's no way to tell, so speculation does no one any good.

Thirdly, Twotter, we live in a democracy. Period. You're comparing how the nation was set up against what kind of politics it practices, and they are not the same thing. The fact is, the founding fathers didn't want a direct vote, because they didn't entirely trust "We, The People". The electoral college gave them some semblance of control over that popular vote. And as far as Alaska getting representation in the same proportion as, say Texas, they get that-through the Senate,where each state has 2 representatives, no matter their size. We have democratic elections. Even the estimable Mr. Bush says we're a democracy, and I'll take the word of our Honorable president over yours. I respect him a helluva lot more than I do you.

Thirdly, none of this matters: Gov. Jeb Bush was definitely not happy with what happened, and how his state was portrayed-by both sides-in this last election. To his credit, Florida, unlike other states, has at least made an honest effort to reform the voting in that state, and I appluad him and the state for their efforts. Next time, Florida will probably laugh at someone else.

The election is over. No matter who we voted for, George Bush is the president of this country, and nothing will change that until the next election is held in 2004. Until then, stop the recriminations on both sides. It makes those on both sides look like children.

JetService

Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:46 pm

John, when you see a ballot that looks like one of the following, whom do you count it for?
------------------------
[ ] - George Bush

[ ] - Al Gore
------------------------
[x] - George Bush

[x] - Al Gore
------------------------
[ ] - George Bush
x
[ ] - Al Gore
------------------------
These are generally what uncounted votes look like.
People just get it wrong.

Alpha 1, much respect to you for taking the high road on this.
"Shaddap you!"

cfalk

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:02 am

Alpha,

Amen to your last point.

But you DO live in a republic.

Picking up my trusty dictionary:

Republic a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.

Democracy a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections.

So you have pure democracy, where basically you have a popular vote on everything (Switzerland is almost this bad - we go to the polls every few weeks, to vote on anywhere from 5 to a dozen issues each time), and republican democracy, which is the U.S.

"Democracy" being a nice word to throw into speeches, that is what you hear the most. But the term is broad and can mean a variety of different forms of government. Republic is much more precise.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:13 am

To all of our fellow members out in rural America.
What do you thing the US Senate was established for?
It was so smaller rural states would have the same representation as the larger states. Take a look at the current leadership post within the Senate.
On the Democratic side:
Majority Leader, Tom Daschle of South Dakota
Majority Whip, Harry Reid of Nevada

On the Republican side:
Minority Leader, Trent Lott of Mississippi
Minority Whip, Don Nickles of Oklahoma

What more power do you folks want? In both parties the rural states tend to dominate the legislative process.
The beneficiary of the last election got lucky and it's childish that the Bush (part II) supporters just can't admit it! If the tables were turned, I seriously doubt that the conservatives here in the forums would be defending Al Gore as the official winner.

My question is why bother to have elections when you have a Supreme Court?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bring back the Concorde

JetService

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:20 am

Cfalk, right. A Republic is a Democracy, but a Democracy is not always a Republic. Well put.
"Shaddap you!"

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:25 am

What difference does any of this makes?

WE'RE ALL SCREWED! ! ! ! ! ! !
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:29 am

Superfly,

You are being facetious, I'm sure.

Bush won according to the LAW.

Gore supporters wanted Gore to win (natch) out of PRINCIPLE - i.e. forget the law, more people voted for Gore.

The Supreme Court said that the Law is the way it has to go. If you don't like the law, you can try to change it in time for the next election.

That's the way it goes in a democracy, err..., republic

Charles

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:39 am

Cfalk:
You are right!

Thank God we have US Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY), who is making it a top priority to eliminate the electoral college!  Big thumbs up
Bring back the Concorde

JetService

Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:40 am

Superfly, do you support the abolishment of Electoral College? Sorry if you've expressed that before.
"Shaddap you!"

John Edwards

Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:41 am

I love Hillary.

John Edwards

Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:43 am

I support its abolishment!

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:47 am

JetService:
I support a system where the people choose who there leaders are. Just as we do with Senators, Governors, Sheriffs and just about all other elected offices.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Wed Jul 18, 2001 2:27 am

Superfly,

Now that you have admitted that Bush won according to the law, I hope that's the last we will hear of accusations of Bush cheating - after all, you are probably the most liberal person on this board.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles

JetService

Wed Jul 18, 2001 2:59 am

I'm on the fence with the Electoral College. I can say one thing. Going to popular vote could make things even messier when it comes to undervotes. Imagine if the 2000 election was a popular vote election. We'd STILL not know whom was president. Every states has undervotes, but they usually aren't a factor, because there are less of them than the margin of victory, so they are disregarded. Florida only mattered, because the undervotes exceeded the margin. Another post here indicated a story reported that there were 4-6 million national undervotes. Had this been a popular vote election, imagine the Florida mess times 20. WOW!
"Shaddap you!"

Superfly

Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:11 am

Cfalk:
Thanks for the complement!  Smile

JetService:
With all votes counted, maybe there would have been a clear decisive winner. That way neither side could call the other side a cheater.
Hell I was in no rush during the recounts. I am glad it all happend. This goes to show that EVERY vote does count! Except in Florida  Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

JetService

Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:31 am

Superfly, popular or electoral, the 2000 election would have been a mess because of voting machines that allowed people to make mistakes. The electronic machines in Indiana are fool-proof. The only way to screw up is to simply vote for the wrong guy/gal. You can even change your mind during the voting. If you select a second candidate, the first one is deselected.

"Shaddap you!"

N400QX

Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:45 am

Not to be technical, but we live in a Constitutional Republic. Not a democracy... nothing close.

Democracy = tyrrany of the majority

NBC News1

Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:43 am

Democracy = tyrrany of the majority?
So you believe that the minority should pick, rather than the majority?

The electoral college was not created in order to flip close elections, it was created so that electors could pick a good president, if the people made a disasterous choice (like electing Howard Stern or something.)

But, the electoral college is kind of redundant these days, because the electors, are picked by the candidate who wins the state! If Al Gore was not cheated out of Florida, he would have sent his own set of electors!

The electoral college put the 2nd place man, into the presidency. Is that fair to the guy who finished 1st?

JetService

Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:56 am

NBC News1, I think he means representatives of the majority should pick.
"Shaddap you!"