EIPremier
Topic Author

Anyone Else Having Earthlink DSL Problems?

Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:51 pm

Is anyone else out there totally frustrated with Earthlink?

We use Dearthlink as our DSL provider, and lately, the reliability has just been terrible. Usually, there is no problem logging-in, so it would appear that the problem is not with Covad, our CLEC, but with Earthlink itself.

Basically, the response time has generally been terrible...frequently much slower than with dial-up. For a while, there was a problem accessing local websites because the first three digits of their IP address' were the same as ours, but that problem appears to be fixed.

But, still the Earthlink start page seems to be down for some period of almost every day, and tech support leaves me/my father on hold for 30-60 minutes, only to tell us they have no idea what is going on.

Anyway, I'm just hoping our experience is an isolated one. And, the service has been going downhill for the past six months...it's not like this is the first time we've had these problems.

AerLingus

RE: Anyone Else Having Earthlink DSL Problems?

Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:54 pm

Yeah...I have an Earthlink dial-up connection and, while in the past it has usually been pretty good, lately I have been getting knocked offline.

Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

blink182

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:34 am

Thats odd, I use Southwestern Bell dsl and it has been working fine. Maybe the Earthlink server is down.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

EIPremier
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:12 am

I'm really disappointed by the recent performance of Earthlink, as they have a reputation as being one of the more reliable ISPs. And, indeed, our DSL connection was still coming close to its advertised speed and reliability until a few months ago.

Earthlink doesn't seem to be any serious danger of folding, so I assume these troubles will pass. But, for the time being, the unreliable service and dishonest customer service agents make for a very frustrated user.