It seems like the big heads of Holywood doesn't like concurence from the north.
Hollywood threatens to boycott Canada
JEANNETTE KELLY - The Arts Report - CBC Radio
MONTREAL - The Montreal film industry is reeling after reports that Hollywood is threatening to boycott Canada this year.
Hollywood producers are concerned that negotiations between ACTRA and the Canadian Film and Television Production Association could end in an actors' strike. U.S. actors' came close to striking last year, which could have crippled the production industry.
According to Montreal's film commissioner, two major studios are refusing to shoot in Canada until they are sure they can finish before the end of the year.
That's when a contract between Canadian actors and Canadian and U.S. film producers expires.
Andre Lafond is Montreal's film commissioner. He was in Hollywood last week to organize fall film production for the city.
Lafond wanted to make sure shooting went ahead on ten films that had been delayed because of the threat of the actors' strike in the U.S. Instead he says he was grilled about labour relations in Canada.
Lafond says studios like Warner Bros and Paramount are so afraid of an actors strike here they're halting productions destined for Canada.
"It's quite clear. No shows will be sent to Canada if they are not fully guaranteed to complete the shooting before December 31or January 16," Lafond says.
The Alliance of Canadian Television and Radio Artists says Hollywood's stand is equivalent to a lockout.
Stephen Waddell is national executive director of ACTRA.
"Well, effectively, if they're saying they're not bringing any productions which will shoot past Dec. 31st, then they are effectively striking or blocking out Canadian performers from the projects which would otherwise come here," Waddell says.
Waddell says the reaction is premature. Negotiations between ACTRA and the Canadian Film and Television Production Association are scheduled to begin in October.
Copyright © 2001 CBC
All Rights Reserved