Something I've Got To Get Off My Chest...

Fri Aug 10, 2001 3:45 pm

This is somthing i have lived with for like 5 years...

Here's the story:

In 5th grade we all had to take D.A.R.E (Drug Abuse Resistance Education). At the end of the 'course' we had a program and everything.

Our Officer, told us that we were to write about a personal experiance involving drugs/alcohal/cigaretts and such. So we all did. And one would be chosen to be read aloud by whoever wrote it at the assemby.

Well, natually, mine was chosen. It was great. I got up there, read it, everybody thought it was good, no problems.

Well, not really, the 'personal experiance' i wrote about never really happened. I made up a story to make it more intresting. I never thought i would really be chosen. So when I was, i couldn't say, "Pick someone elce! Its all a lie!" I mean i was 10 years old. So i just went along with it. Now I feel bad about it. Oh well, I guess its too late.

Atleast I'm comming clean now. Better late than never.

--So, have you ever told a lie like this? Just wondering. Also, am I a bad person?

trickijedi

RE: Something I've Got To Get Off My Chest...

Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:08 pm

No dude you're not a bad person, just a liar. I'm just kidding.

Don't feel bad Derek. As long as you realized your mistake, which from the sounds of it you do, you'll be alright. Kudos to you for fessing up and accepting the fact that you were wrong at the time. Unless of course your lying about it now.  Smile
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

n949wp

Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:21 pm

No need to feel guilty about anything. The writing assignment, as you described, was flawed from the start as it assumed everyone in the class has had such an unfortunate experience (such low expectations!!). Since they obviously won't accept a piece of blank paper as response, they were just asking people to make up stories.

Congratulate yourself instead on your creativity.  Smile

'949

iflycoach

Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:25 pm

No wonder you moved to California!

jared

Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:41 pm

Derek H,

You are a HORRID person!

Now little Bobby who actually DID smoke up with the highschoolers when he was 8 didn't get to share his experience because you had to lie and write about when you sold crack to the crackheads downtown.  Smile

KROC

Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:52 pm

You were 10! Who cares. Kids make mistakes.

twa

Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:00 pm

KROC is right, Kids do screw up.

TWA

jwenting

Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:14 pm

Did you make up a story because you had no experience of your own or because you thought your own experiences would not be juicy enough?
If the first, you did the right thing (though you might have said so at the time).

If I'd had to write a story about my personal experience with drugs etc. at that age (or even now) I'd be hard put because I have (had) none.
I wish I were flying

AC_A340

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:27 am

You acknowledged you made a mistake and that's all that matters. I lied in Grade 6 once so I didn't get an "x" on our assignment chart.

174thfwff

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:27 am

D.A.R.E isn't that great of a program anyways. It opens up what drugs realy do to people. My school has a 57% drug usage rate! We all took dare in 8th grade. Before dare our school was 98% drug free. But since the officers told the kids they would fly, and do all that other crap assosiated with drugs, kids got hooked. I am in that 43% that doesn't do drugs.

Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Greg

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:19 am

Are you going into politics?

mls515

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:45 am

I'm curious, what was the story that you made up?

redngold

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:53 am

I've made up a lot of stories in my life. Some were "enhanced" stories because, as jwenting said, they weren't juicy enough. Others are ficticious accounts of things I or my friends did, but that I wish had happened in reality because it would have been the smarter or more honorable thing to do at the time.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Sat Aug 11, 2001 3:20 am

One of our teachers smoke a ciggy during a D.A.R.E. presentation at school! Big grin
Iain

Notar520AC

Sat Aug 11, 2001 3:22 am

As long as it doesn't matter, who cares?

-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Sat Aug 11, 2001 3:54 am

When I first read this I thought you where going to take of your bra!
Iain

airlinelover

Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:02 am

Years ago, in grade school. There was tyhis one kid, Cory. I hated him, he hated me. He'd always be teasing me or hitting me or something. One day, I got sick of all the crap I had to put up with at school. so I went and told my Dad. I made up one part of it though, I told him Cory had thrown a desk at me. The next day, my dad came in, took him out back, and he never bothered me again..

No, you're not a bad person, kids do stuff like that. What matters is that you LEARNED from your mistake. The DARE people also made a mistake, in assuming that everyone has had an experience with drugs. I am 22, and NEVER have. I was once offered a blunt, but said no and went on my way. So they scrweed up there..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

usairways@clt

Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:12 am

Ironically, my DARE officer was arrested for drug possession. Hahaha!

Zach

Aussiemite

Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:25 pm

Thats cool I already knew you were a lier.

gocaps16

Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:22 am

LOL Iain, I thought he was growing boobs.  Smile

Kevin/DCA

Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:04 am

Iain and Kevin, get your heads out of the gutter!!

The story was quite in depth if i remember correctly. I know it involved some smokes, and some pills of some sort...anyways.

-Derek

cannibalz3

Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:22 pm

No, doesn't make you a bad person at all. Just makes you creative. To get into sophomore honors english, there was an essay question that you had to write on, and in my case it was to write about a book in which the character realized that learned people didn't know everything. So I made up a book, story, plot, title, etc. I thought it was pretty good, and one day I might write it. I got accepted  Smile