A small band of terrorists who are willing to die for a cause are very tough to put down. Try it sometime. The only way to do it is to marginalize them. If Israel withdrew completely from the West Bank, whatever popular support for the terrorists there is would evaporate. They would die out without means of support. Iran might continue funding them, but that's another issue.
Arafat and the moderate majority have every incentive to make sure that Israel has no excuse to delay the accords. If it wasn't for the terrorism, Palestine would practically be an independant nation right now. It is because of the overreaction by Israel (intentional) to terrorist activities that Hamas and Islamic Jihad are getting more and more sympathisers every day, becasue more and more Palestinians are coming to the realization that Israel does not understand any other language. Unfortunately for them, they are playing right into the plans of Sharon. This is exactly what he wants.
Araftat knows this. He didn't survive 20 years under a Mossad hit squad threat by being a dummy. He is no saint, that's for sure, but he and others have realized that there is no chance in hell of eliminating Israel. This is what Hamas/Islamic Jihad have refused to accept. But they are a minority. Unfortunately it takes very few terrorists to incite terror. The IRA in Northern Ireland was the same thing - the real militants never were more than a couple dozen people, but they have held the entire country in Chaos for decades.
In a nutshell, here is the situation:
- Most of Israel and most Palestinians would not mind living next door to each other in peace.
- A small minority of suicidal nuts (Hamas/Jihad) do not agree, and keep fighting their little war.
- Israel's right wing, currently in power and allied with hard-nosed zionists looking for lebensraum, don't want peaceful co-existance - they want the whole pie.
- By finding every little excuse to delay the accords, the Israelis know perfectly well that that will cause the other side to be upset.
- By inciting the extremists to violence, further delays can be justified, inciting extremist violence to a critical point (which I don't think we have seen yet).
- Arafat and the PA is powerless to stop it. Just like the IRA, Action Direct, Red Army Faction, and other terrorist factions in other countries, the terrorists disappear into the woodwork, protected often by people who are pissed at the Israeli tactics anyway. To make sure that internal enforcement is further hampered, PA police is targeted for destruction by Israeli military.
- Eventually, Hamas/Jihad will succeed in their biggest attack yet - killing 500 or 1000 Israelis in one day.
- This will be what Sharon and his right wing buddies are waiting for. They will declare the peace process shut down, imprison the entire Palestinian gov't (even if they had nothing to do with the terrorists), and the tanks will roll back into the PA territories to stay for the next 20 years. Palestinians are persecuted, start refugee flood into neighboring countries. Moderate Arab countries turn against Israel, reinstitute the Arab embargo.
- Israel wins the West bank for further colonization, water wells. The Arab states are not a real threat - the U.S. is always behind Israel, and there is no more Soviet Union to support the Arabs (not that it did much good the first few times anyway). Due to the renewed embargo and harsh language from Arab neighbors, Israel gets an increased amount of financial and military aid with which to boost their economy (U.S. aid actually came down since the Oslo accords, as there was a lower threat percieved to Israel).
- Palestinians lose. They go back to "People without a Country" status which they had in the 70's and 80's. Arafat dies a failure.
This is Sharon's plan. Israel has everything to gain from increasing the level of violence, and the Palestinians have everything to lose.
Can anybody tell me that this logic is incorrect?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.