Question About Car Brakes Usage

Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:49 pm

Hey everyone,

The other day I was driving and I thought to myself: What braking method lengthen the brakes life? Either a long light braking or either a short heavy braking? I would rather thing that a slow and light deceleration would, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm?

regards,
Nicolas (Happy new owner of a '98 neon  Smile )

Superfly

RE: Question About Car Brakes Usage

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:01 am

I brake for large breast! Big grin

Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:06 am

My last post was just for fun & games.

Just don't ride your brakes. I hate it when people do that! I causes your brakes to run hot, wear down quicker and really slows down traffic. Brake lights are either on or off. They don't measure intensity of amount of brakes applied. Therefore, drivers behind will always slow down even more.

Is your Neon a stick or automatic?
If it is a stick, you can downshift to help slow down.
Bring back the Concorde

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:07 am

Hey superfly, I just had a call from Anna Nicole Smith, she's waiting for you to go play with her melons! hahaha Big grin

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:10 am

No it's automatic. I don't like sticks seeing that I spend at least 1 hour stuck in traffic everyday.

AC_A340

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:23 am

Don't brake too softly, but not too hard either. The best bet to prolong the life of your brakes is somewhere in between closer to soft braking. That's what I've always been told anyways.

Just think of a grinder, if you press metal against it real hard, it wears away quicker, less pressure and it won't wear away as quick.

JetService

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:25 am

Nicolaki, I've heard short strong bursts of braking adds to the life of brakes vs. slow light braking. Sustained braking increases the heat which wears the asbestos. If you have a stick, clutch brake. Downshift all the way down to first gear. Then use your brakes to stop the roll. That's what I did with a stick. I'm no mechanic, so the former is hearsay. One thing I'm cetain of, the ideal method is to run into other shit. No brakes necessary.  Laugh out loud
"Shaddap you!"

Twotterwrench

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:40 am

Use your feet like Fred Flintstone does. Get's hot, but saves money!

sccutler

Coupla Things...

Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:52 am

1. Nicolaki: 'Fly has better taste than that. Even "bust-lust" has its limits.

2. So long as you don't "ride" the brakes such that they are overheated,the distinction is not much, but if you make it a practice to brazke over a *very* long space, you'll be making yourself an obstruction and hazard in traffic- hardly a good result.

3. Do not routinely use your clutch and downshifting as a substitute for ordinary brake use. Why? Ask your friendly neighborhood mechanic the difference in cost between a brake job, and a clutch replacement. Ouch! This does not, of course, apply to the always-recommended practice of downshifting and using engine braking to control speed on an extended downhill stretch of highway.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

JetService

Sat Aug 18, 2001 8:41 am

You don't need to use the clutch to downshift. Just ease it in without the clutch. No grinding, it just pops right in.
"Shaddap you!"

Adam84

Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:18 am

Ok he has an automatic so the above does not apply.

Also the majority of people who drive sticks do not use engine braking. The owners manual for my Toyota truck and my b/f's Acura clearly say only to use engine braking for going down long stretches of hills. It just puts more wear on your entire drivetrain if you do it every time you stop.

Also good luck with your Neon, the first generation Neons are know for premature head gasket failures (which costs big $ to get fixed).

Metwrench

Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:35 am

I drive a 90 Suburban, if you're in front of me with a Neon, best not to use your brakes at all. Big breasts or not. I'll do the looking for you.

desertjets

Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:39 pm

Gotta second Adam84 bout the first gen Neons, my brother has a 97... its on its 3rd tranny and 2nd head gasket. He is glad my dad told him to buy the extended service agreement.

Basically you shouldn't brake too light or too heavy. Brake too hard and you risk wheel lock up (unless you have ABS) and it is generally not comfortable for you or your passengers. Plus more absent minded motorists may not be prepared for a quick stop. Soft breaking over a long period can cause your breaks to glaze... then they start to squeak. So stop firmly when possible. And always brake for cute girls.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

JetService

Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:44 pm

Neon brakes should last forever. All you have to do to slowdown is stick your hand out the window.
"Shaddap you!"

Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:21 pm

Do you guys still use asbestos based brake pads?

We don't.

mb

Klaus

Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:21 am

Nicolaki: What braking method lengthen the brakes life? Either a long light braking or either a short heavy braking?

I try to brake smoothly; Strong enough, but not for longer periods, if possible, to give the brakes a few seconds for cooling in between. Has worked well, so far.

I avoid motor braking whenever possible; Maybe that´s why I´ve still got the first motor, first gearbox and the first clutch at 248,000km...  Wink/being sarcastic

Twotterwrench: Use your feet like Fred Flintstone does. Get's hot, but saves money!

I´ll try that as soon as the rust holes are large enough for my big feet! Big grin

Mx5_boy: Do you guys still use asbestos based brake pads?

Not here. (Germany)

sccutler

MB's Question

Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:13 am

We use asbestos pads; if they start to heat up, most US-built cars will use an auxiliary cooling system which has focused jets of CFC-based gases spraying onto the brake caliper (the hole in the ozone is way south, near Australia, no problem here); if that proves inadequate, you can spray the disk with liquid PCB's.

No, really.

MB- you weren't serious when you asked that question, right?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Adam84

Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:40 am

DesertJets: I didnt realize it was that much of a problem. Back about a year or so ago I really wanted a first generation Neon. But thats when I found out about the headgasket problems and kinda steered away from that car. DaimlerChrysler really needs to take action on this problem and stop asking Neon drivers to bend over.

airsicknessbag

RE: Klaus

Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:10 pm

>>>I avoid motor braking whenever possible; Maybe that´s why I´ve still got the first motor, first gearbox and the first clutch at 248,000km...

That happens to be a Merc, huh? Big grin...

Daniel Smile

Klaus

Airsicknessbag

Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:45 pm

Klaus: I avoid motor braking whenever possible; Maybe that´s why I´ve still got the first motor, first gearbox and the first clutch at 248,000km...

Airsicknessbag: That happens to be a Merc, huh? ...

No, no. Big grin
Just an ordinary VW Golf II 1.6 (gasoline).