tbar220

Religion II

Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:06 am

Dear All,

The last thread was getting a little long, and I had some other stuff to add, but it wasn't quite related to all the scientific stuff, so I started this.

My question to those of you who are religious and do believe in God is this: What do you strive to achieve religiously? Do you strive to achieve spiritual happiness, and can this be done through religion?

Personally, I am religious, and do believe in God. I do not actively strive to achieve spiritual happiness, but I do believe it can be achieved, and when it is, you will know it. I think that I will be spiritually happy when my life and my religion come hand in hand together, without one being a sacrifice to appease the other. Now some of you may ask, why do I find this need to be religious?

My level of being religious doesn't necessarily involve what other might, but when I am religious in my own way, I feel better, I am more clearheaded, there is less stress in my life, and I am overall a happier person. Some people may say that being religious is a sacrifice, but I feel that once religious is no longer a sacrifice, no longer something I say "Ugh, I have to go to services again" or feel any bit loathsome towards, then I have achieved what I want to achieve.

Right now in my life, I haven't achieved this level of religious interaction, but I hope to someday. I don't know what road I need to take to get there, but I feel that someday I can get to that point if I actively seek it out. Once the politics and subversion is rooted out of religion, I think it will be much more clear and its purpose more easily achieved.

Just one more thing, while I say "its purpose", this is different for everybody. Every person has a different "purpose" with how they use religion in their lives, and once they achieve that their lives will be more complete in their eyes. Yet, as long as their "purpose" has politics, money, even personal manipulative gains involved, then the whole idea of religion is being twisted out of its true meaning.

Well, I'm done rambling. Tell me what you think in relation to what I've said and asked. Thanks.

Smile Tzvika  Smile
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

RE: Religion II

Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:04 pm

Part of the reason I started this was because the other topic diverged into the scientific/religion topic, and this was what was on my mind. Any opinions? Thanks.

Smile Tzvika  Smile
NO URLS in signature

airlinelover

RE: Religion II

Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:44 pm

My parents raised me as a Methodist, and for years I went to church every sunday and stuff. When I got older, I decided to find my "spiritual peace" in my own way. I don't subscribe to any one denomination (i.e. Catholic, Methodist, Protistant, etc) I just have my own beliefs and values, and I try to live up to those every day of my life..

Hope this is what you were looking for..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply