JETPILOT
Topic Author

Glock: The Only Choice In Prsnl Protection?

Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:52 pm

I purchased a Glock 23 .40 Auto the other day. I had heard of the reputation of the Glocks but couldnt apreciate it until I bought one.

It seems as if Glock built the gun from a clean sheet of paper. All new technology and simplicity.

It seems as if Glock has overwhelmingly become the choice of law enforcment agents and civilians for personal protection.

If you own a Glock do you like it? And if you don't own one and have chozen to carry another weapon why wouldnt you carry a Glock.

I wouldn't eventhink of buying anything else now that I own one.

JET

RE: Glock: The Only Choice In Prsnl Protection?

Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:59 pm

Model 1911A1 Colt .45

BTW, never fired one. Only gun I've ever fired was an AR-15 .223 cal. (5.56mm) rifle... wished it was an M-4 Carbine.

FlagshipAZ

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:13 pm

Why a Glock over a Colt, Ruger or Smith&Wesson??
They all get the job done. I have nothing against Glock, but I'll stay with what I know...Colt 45 auto. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

VonRichtofen

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:52 pm

Where do you guys live? On the West Bank?

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:58 pm

We'll we can start with the fact that the Glock has about 1/3 the amount of parts.

The finish.....A teflon matte combatfinish that is for all intensive purposes...indistructable.

The Glock is jam proof. It just wont jam. A guy fired over 100,000 rounds and counting through his Glock and never had a single jam.

Theres no question that the Glock .45 is a better weapon than th 1911. Thats like comparing a DC8 to a 777.

The Glock is a safe action pistol and has no conventional safety to disengage. Its ready to fire from the holster.

You'd be crazy to carry a Colt 45 cocked and chambered without the safety engaged.

The Glock compacts or subcompacts are concealable.

The subcompacts fit in your pocket.

These are just a few things that come to mind.

JET

N400QX

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:58 pm

I'm looking into a Glock as I have mentioned on other threads-- I like the Glock because of the simplicity and compactness. I'm specifically looking into the Glock Model 36 which is a subcompact .45 Auto. Looks like a very nice weapon and great for concealed carry.
We'll probably use our tax refund check for it. Thanks Mr. President!

Oh and VonRichtofen-- I live in the suburbs of Seattle.

Matt D

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:03 pm

I like the Glocks too. How would you say they compare against Rugers or HK's?

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:05 pm

Check out the .40 S&W. Its got the balistics of the .45 without the muzzle flip. And don't get the compensated barell.

With the .40 Auto you can gt 4 more rounds in the clip.

I think subcompact .40 auto is the model 27.

And dont forget to use Cor-Bon ammo, or Glaser Safety Slugs.

JET

Metwrench

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:05 pm

The Glock has gained a reputation as a rugid, reliable piece of hardware that works in adverse conditions, ie. dirty, wet, cold, no wonder police agencies all over the country are using it as a standard.

Twotterwrench

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:10 pm

Fantastic weapon jet. have one myself. I typically carry either that or my para P14 .45.

N400QX

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:16 pm

Matt-- I just fired a Ruger a week or so ago and the difference can be night and day. I probably fired 40 rounds in the Ruger and it jammed two or three times, usually on the first or second round of the magazine. The Glock just doesn't jam. Also, the Glock is MUCH lighter and doesn't have so many parts.

I'd pick Glock for personal protection over any other gun-- and the .40 or .45 is the perfect self-defense caliber.

777YYC

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:22 pm

Do you guys feel that threatened?  Yeah sure

Insane

N400QX

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:27 pm

Speaking of ammo-- I have family members that work for various state and federal police agencies (Utah State Police, United States Marshall Service) that can get us police-issue hollow-tip ammo boxes for dirt cheap... hollow-tip is nearly a must for self-defense.

I don't feel threatened, 777, but it is our right and duty to be armed. I'm sure if you were in a restaurant when a madman comes in shooting or stabbing people, you'll be quite glad when one of your fellow diners pulls a handgun out and takes out the perpetrator.

jessman

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:35 pm

I tend not to carry a handgun. In fact I've only fired two and I don't know what they were.
My favorite gun is my grandfather's 30-06 rifle. I don't know who makes it, but you never need more than one shot to get whatever you're looking at. My grandfather once shot a buck with it the entry wound was in the chest and the exit was on the complete opposite side of the animal. that's power.

Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:05 pm

If you guys are going to go on about your weapons of death, kindly get your facts right when discussing these weapons.

You should know that the correct term for your Glock and others what you describe as "auto" should be correctly termed "semi-automatic".

Automatic weapons (full) are illegal.

mb  Smile Smile

Twotterwrench

Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:06 pm

If you truly want to have this argument, read the US SHOULD BAN HANDGUNS post. It has been beat to death over the last few weeks. What you gun control people don't understand is that we gun owners DONT CARE that you don't like our guns. In America, I can own as many guns as I like whether you like it or not. So, if you want to spout about gun control, go start your own post. i promise I won't interrupt your little tea party.

L-188

Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:11 pm

Sorry about your buddies freinds Vonrichofen but even you said that was an accient. There is probably a more direct cause then you alleged lack of gun laws.

The Glock has a great reputation as being a reliable weapon, in everthing from the original 9MM parabellum on up to the .45 ACP and the .40 S&W calibers. That stated I did hear a rumor that three of them exploded on the range up here two years ago. But it was about -20 or -30 below at the time. But again treat what I just said as an unsubstantiated rumor.

Just on the same note, Does your owners manual list a minimum operating temperture?

Personally though I do think that I would go with the old reliable .45 Colt though. Just sentimental value though. I would love to have an issue 1911A1. I know where there is one in town here but I can't afford it right now...... Sad
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FlagshipAZ

Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:10 am

Hmm...you guys are winning me over on the Glock semi-auto. I have a Colt .45 Model 1991. Big & rugged for sure, but I'm looking for something smaller now. Here in Arizona, we still have the "Old West" laws where you can still walk in public carrying protection, as long as it visible on your person. Perhaps a Glock .40 ??? Or maybe a Colt .38 revolver??? I don't know. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

An-225

Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:34 am

I prefer a Kalashnikov.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

overlord

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:07 am

This thread sure brought out all the nuts on the board.

CPDC10-30

RE: Overlord

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:19 am

This thread sure brought out all the nuts on the board.

Unfortunatley, there are even more nuts carrying around guns who don't post on this board.

I don't care what you say about "personal protection"...all I've ever seen guns used for is aggression. Just three months ago my boss had a gun pointed at him while driving in LA. His offence? Turning left while the driver behind was too impatient.

N400QX

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:31 am

>You should know that the correct term for your Glock and others what you describe as "auto" should be correctly termed "semi-automatic"

Yes, well if you knew anything about these weapons, you would know that they are commonly referred to as Auto. Glock .45 Auto. Ruger 9mm Auto. Then when you're talking about revolvers, you use different terminology. I've never really cared for revolvers, so I don't know a whole lot about them.

>Automatic weapons (full) are illegal

Nah-- I know ways to get them, semi-legally.

Anyway, Mx5 or anyone else, if you're interested you can view the Glock line here http://www.glock.com/te_english.htm. I believe JET has the Model 23.... and I'm starting to look at the 27. Hmmmm

EGGD

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:42 am

Nobody in my family, ancestors, hell not even in my town own guns, and non of us have been killed.

I don't see the need.

I would need a license anyway  Big grin

Control freaks!

Regards

Dan

G Dubya

RE: Tech Question

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:44 am

M-16s (sans AR-15) have a wedge-shape device on the right side, just below the charging handle, called a forward bolt assist.

What exactly is the purpose of the forward bolt assist?

Is it to push the bolt forward (when jammed towards back) without having to pull the charging handle?

Thanks...

b757300

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:54 am

This is my personal choice for a handgun.

H&K USP .45

I also own a Colt .45 1991A but the problem with it is that it’s single action. I love the Colt and enjoy shooting but the H&K is a superior weapon in terms of safety and reliability. My Colt seems to have a tendency to jam for no reason.

Now if I can save the money to afford this thing...

"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Aug 30, 2001 2:07 am

Weve got two Walther PPKS's... oh such sweet firing guns. They are apparently worth quite a bit now from what i hear.
Chicks dig winglets.

Superfly

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:06 am

The words in the topic totally threw me off!

I was thinking of a different kind of protection.

Well I found these to be very good for my protection.

Please don't get offended Derek H.
Bring back the Concorde

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:22 am

Guns and condom  Big thumbs up

Ready for a night out in the Barbary Coast?

...or Gary, Indiana  Big thumbs up

Superfly

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:33 am

CstarU:
That is funny!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Hey did you know the Cesars Palace web-site has Gary, Indiana along with Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and Atlantic City?
I couldn't believe it!
Bring back the Concorde

JetService

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:35 am

"Shaddap you!"

Superfly

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:39 am

JetService:
That is funny!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bring back the Concorde

bombstar

Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:54 am

I am surprised at the number of people in here that own guns, I dont know anyone that does. I've never seen one before, except on police officers.

L-188

M-16 Forward Assist

Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:30 pm

Lets see if I can remember this considering I haven't seen an M-16 manual in about 8 years, since I got out of the service. So if I get any on the component names wrong, don't shoot me....heheheh.

I should probably explain the operating principle of the AR-15 rifle first. It is a direct blowback design, that means that propellent gasses is tapped from the barrel and these gasses push directly on the bolt with forces the bolt back against a buffer spring located in the stock of the weapon. The the bolt travels back it pulls the empty casing out with it untill it ejects out of the port on the right side. At this time the bolt is fully open in the reciever, the the now compressed buffer spring then pushes the bolt forward stipping out a fresh round from the magazine and forcing it into the chamber. The rifle is then ready for the next shot.

The forward assist is a push handle that is located on the right side of the weapon. Don't confuse it with the triangle extension that is just aft of the ejection port. That one is a brass defector to keep southpaws from getting a piece of hot metal in the face.

Anyway getting back to the the forward assist. After the last round is fired the bolt is held open. When the magazine is replaced with a loaded one the operator hits the bolt release and the bolt is pushed forward by the buffer spring. Drawing up a round from the magazine and then pushing it into the chamber.

At least that was the way that Ed Stoner designed it on the original AR-10 rifle, which was made for the .308 or 7.62 NATO round.

When the M-16/AR-15 rife was being developed as a scaled down AR-10, the US government changed the specification for the powder that the ammunition was going to use. It was found during inital testing that this new poweder caused excessive fouling, which considering the direct blowback design of the weapon led to many jammings and failures as carbon and soot built up in the chamber. Literally jaming up the works. This is why the M-16 got a bad reputation during the early days of Vietnam for being jam happy.

Even today keeping the rifle clean is critical to M-16 reliablity.

The forward assist was installed on the A1 and later versions of the rifle as a way to "assist" the bolt forward by the operator if the situation did not permit the rifle to be cleaned at that time, like say a firefight in Nam. The only service that to the best of knowledge kept the original M-16's without a forward assist around for any length of time was the US Coast Guard.

The other time the forward assist is needed is when the bolt is locked open during reloading. It was disovered that when the bolt is released from this position that there may not be enough energy in the spring to force the bolt closed. Because of the blowback design of the weapon the spring can not be made stiffer without comprimising it's ablity to extract the freshly fired round. Again how clean the chamber is has a lot to do with this. So the standard practice for may years with the M-16 is to give the forward assist a wack with your hand before letting the first shot go, to to make sure the bolt is closed.

I hope this helps.

G Dubya

RE: M-16 Forward Assist

Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

Just one more thing...

After the last round is fired the bolt is held open. When the magazine is replaced with a loaded one the operator hits the bolt release and the bolt is pushed forward by the buffer spring. Drawing up a round from the magazine and then pushing it into the chamber.

I thought you had to pull and then release the charging handle in order to chamber a round?

Again thanks...

L-188

Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:46 pm

The charging handle just provides a means of manually moving the bolt to the rear position so that it will either,

A: lock into the bolt open position if the magazine is empty. It will also lock open if there is not a magazine present.

If you have just fired you last shot from a magazine the rifle will be in an unloaded "bolt open" configuration. You just have to replace the magazine. Hit the bolt release on the left side of the weapon. The bolt will release, stripping that first round from the magazine. A tap on the forward assist to make sure the bolt is closed are you are again read to fire.

B: To strip the first round from the magazine and chamber it. This would be done if you have a loaded magazine in the weapon but the bolt is still closed on an empty chamber.

In this case the weapon would be in a "bolt closed" configuration with a loaded magazine installed. Pulling the chargine handle would draw the bolt back. Since the magazine is loaded the bolt would not lock to the read and the buffer spring would return the bolt to the closed position, but in doing so it would strip a round from the magazine and chamber it. This is the "charging" process. After the handle is released and a tap on the forward assist would make the rifle ready to fire.

When I was in the service it was considered bad form just to grab the charging handle pull it back and then let it go. You could end up doing a lot of push ups over that.

L-188

Thu Aug 30, 2001 7:26 pm

Hey I do have a question.....

QX put the link up for the Glock site. Anyway I was looking at the line and see that they listed the .357, Do they mean the traditional .357 Mag or the new .357 Sig? I personall believe the latter but am not sure.

overlord

Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:46 pm

Cukoo..
Cukoo..
Cukoo..

Carioca Canuck

Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:48 pm

Glocks are great. Our police force here in Calgary (YYC) purchased them a few years ago and are very happy with the serviceability so far.

Compared to the Browning 9mm that I used in the army, the Glock carries 16 rounds versus 9 (with one up the spout), is lighter, has a faster action and is more accurate. Any feelings for these older handguns like the Colt 45..etc...is in my opinion just based on romanticism as there are significant differences in 100 years of technology.

L-188

Fri Aug 31, 2001 5:30 pm

There isn't a darn thing wrong being a romantic.

Do you know if the Calgary Police have had any problems with the plastic in the cold? See my earlier post about the rumor of three fractured guns two years ago on the police force in ANC..

Carioca Canuck

Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:35 pm

L-188

There have been no problems at all with the Glocks yet as far as my few friends on the police force have told me.

cba

Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:09 am

Jesus loves the NRA,
He told me so the other day,
He spelled it out in bullets in the sky,
YEEHAW!

He's sittin up in heaven with an AK-47,
Singing God Bless you now you're all gonna die!
YEEHAW!

N400QX

Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:22 am

Insane

Joona

Sat Sep 01, 2001 7:45 am

N400QX:

I'm looking into a Glock as I have mentioned on other threads-- I like the Glock because of the simplicity and compactness. I'm specifically looking into the Glock Model 36 which is a subcompact .45 Auto.

Zach, how old were you??? 16??? Jeez!!! You're a kid and you want a gun??? What the FECK do they teach you in the US?? Again one more reason for me to laugh at US!!!!

Btw. I fully agree with EGGD.

Joona  Smokin cool
1740 days idle. Beat that.

sxmarbury33

Sat Sep 01, 2001 9:54 am

Ive never fired a glock but due to the fact that you have to be 21 to shoot a pistol in the local range but if I had a choice in protection where recoil isnt a factor I would take a G20. 15+1 of 10mm you cant beat that for stopping power. Also what is your oppinion of the new .357 glocks and yea i think they are the sig rnd. Also do you take your gun everywhere you go and if so how do you conceal it so that when you are walking down the street everyone does not know you have one. I just bought a walther PPKS Gasblowback 4.5mm bb gun for around the house. Its pretty cool it works 98 percent like a real gun and it only costs 70.

TimMSP

Sat Sep 01, 2001 10:30 am

My personal weapon of choice is a double barrel Remington shotgun. It's a turkey gun with a shorter barrel than most shotguns but is still legal. Besides, nothing would sound more menacing to an intruder in the middle of the night than the old pump action....can you say "Ooops....I must have the wrong house!"

Tim

cba

Sat Sep 01, 2001 10:36 am

Just cocking the shotgun will send any criminal running. Shotguns mangle.

N400QX

Sat Sep 01, 2001 1:06 pm

>Also do you take your gun everywhere you go and if so how do you conceal it so that when you are walking down the street everyone does not know you have one

Not that I carry concealed (only slightly illegal at my age), I really like the shoulder holster commonly worn by undercover cops. It really only works if you're wearing a jacket or coat, but it provides very good concealment and access.

>What the FECK do they teach you in the US??

Personal responsibility, self-protection, morals, etc etc etc.

BH346

Sat Sep 01, 2001 1:27 pm

Don't turn this into a US-Bashing topic.  Pissed

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

tbar220

Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:03 pm

No, don't get mad BH346. I think Joona is cool. He can come with a sophisticated reply, which is entirely related to the topic. Plus, not only can he do that, but he can manage to bash the United States while he's at it. Wow! Not many people have the skill and the wits to be able to pull that off.

He's also somewhere between the ages of 16-20, which shows his advanced level of maturity. He can spell curse words really well, his punctuation in his post amazes even the smartest of English proffesors, and his opinions are valued around the world.

Keep it up Joona, maybe somebody will really take comments like that seriously one day.  Yeah sure

Oh yeah, and smoking is bad for you, especially at your age. I wouldn't suggest it.

Smile Tzvika  Smile
NO URLS in signature

Joona

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:09 pm

Zach, we are tought morals here too. And our morals do not include carrying a killing machine...

There is definitely something wrong in the morals tought as there are so many school shootings etc.

Does it all happen because it is part of the moral you were tought?

Interested to know that...

And yea, I agree with BH346, we can do it in a whole different thread  Big thumbs up

Tbar220.....ummm.......I liked your post  Big thumbs up

Btw. I turn 18 on January 20th, which is in 5 months  Big thumbs up

Btw2. I've smoked for 3 years and know it's a very bad and stupid habit....

Joona
1740 days idle. Beat that.