Come on England!!

airlinelover

RE: England Vs Germany

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:48 am

Jaspike wrote:

It's the big match tonight!

????????????

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Jaspike
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:49 am

Why the
????????????

?

JFKspotter

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:16 am

(Whispering)

Hey Airlinelover...it's soccer.

2002 World Cup Qualifying Match.

-JFKspotter

P.S. Honduras beat the US today, 3-2!

Jaspike
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:20 am

He means it's football.

Jaspike
Topic Author

Germany 1-2 England

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:25 am

The latest score at half-time
Germany- 1
England- 2

RE: On A Related Subject...

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:30 am

Football fans clash in Frankfurt
September 1, 2001 Posted: 5:40 AM EDT (0940 GMT)

LONDON, England -- English and German football fans have clashed in Frankfurt ahead of Saturday's World Cup qualifying match.

Thirty English and German fans were arrested after fights broke out around Frankfurt's railway station, a police spokesman said.

more...
http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/01/england.clashes/index.html

Police arrest a man during clashes in Frankfurt

Hooligans!  Big thumbs up
 Big grin Big grin Big grin

Jaspike
Topic Author

RE: On A Related Subject...

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:34 am

It always does happen, but some brainy people in Westminster (Or somewhere like that) are stopping people like them going to other countries, but I don't think they'll ever stop all of them.

They're a bit over excited...
.....it's only a game..

SQ325

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:57 am

64minutes played
England3 Germany1

SQ325

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:59 am

correction
65min
4-1

Jaspike
Topic Author

5-1

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:07 am

COME ON ENGLAND!!!
Make it 6-1

Jaspike
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:30 am

England have won!!!

Jaspike
Topic Author

England Vs Germany

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:32 am

Minute-by-minute action from England's remarkable win over Germany in Munich's Olympic Stadium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full-time: England become only the second side ever to beat Germany in a World Cup qualifier with a magnificent performance in Munich. Germany 1-5 England.

90 mins: Hargreaves plays a ball over the top of Germany's defence and Kahn has to be quick off his line to deprive Beckham.

England are completely in control and Germany are struggling to get hold of the ball.

83 mins: Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher comes on for Scholes.

78 mins: The outstanding Gerrard is substituted for Bayern Munich's young midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

73 mins: England find themselves two-on-two with Germany when Scholes breaks forward. He squares the ball to Heskey, who holds off Rehmer and slots the ball past Kahn from 12 yards.

Hoardes of German fans start to leave the Olympic Stadium while their English counterparts are understandably raucous.
Germany 1-5 England.

72 mins: Seaman reacts quickly to get to the ball ahead of Rehmer on the edge of England's six-yard box.

67 mins: Gerrard robs the ball from Ballack, breaks forward and plays a superb through-ball to Owen. The Liverpool striker out-paces the German defence before lifting the ball confidently over Kahn.
Germany 1-4 England.

66 mins: Jancker gets ahead of Ferdinand to meet a Deisler free-kick but sends his header wide of the post.

65 mins: Real Madrid's Steve McManaman comes on to replace Barmby on the left-side of midfield.

58 mins: Germany miss a glorious opportunity to pull back a goal. Deisler crosses from the right and Jancker heads back into the path of Ballack. The midfielder volleys his effort high over the crossbar from nine yards.

57 mins: Deisler goes close for Germany with a searing 30-yard drive.

56 mins: Beckham heads clear a Boehme cross to alleviate a period of intense pressure for England.

48 mins: Beckham curls in a delicious cross from the right and Heskey cleverly heads into the path of his strike-partner Owen.

Owen scores his second goal of the game with a right-footed half-volley past the despairing Kahn.
Germany 1-3 England.

Half-time:Germany 1-2 England. Germany bring on Asamoah for Worns. England do not make any changes.

45 mins: Gerrard scores his first international goal to put England into the lead on the stroke of half-time. He takes a Ferdinand knock-down on his chest and lashes an emphatic volley home from 30 yards.
Germany 1-2 England.

45 mins: Seaman makes ammends for his earlier error with a fantastic save low to his right from Boehme.

44 mins: Seaman drops a routine cross and is lucky that the ball does not fall to one of the lurking German players.

Owen celebrates his goal for England

41 mins: Unmarked Neuville takes a cross on his chest and swivels to volley fiercely from 20 yards. His powerful effort goes wide of England's post.

38 mins: Kahn is lucky to be awarded a free-kick for what looked like a legitimate challenge on him by Nick Barmby. The Germans are relieved after having faced a period of incessant English pressure.

35 mins: Steven Gerrard brings down his Liverpool team-mate Dietmar Hamann 20 yards from goal. The resultant free-kick from Jorg Boehme is deflected out for a corner.

30 mins: England are awarded a free-kick close to the penalty spot after Kahn handles a careless back-pass from Deisler. Beckham fires toward the top corner, his effort is bravely blocked by Marko Rehmer and Neville strikes the rebound over the crossbar from the edge of the area.

England are starting to control the game and are creating the better chances.

25 mins: Beckham plays a glorious 70-yard pass to Owen, who outpaces his marker before unleashing a powerful volley wide of the post.

22 mins: Deisler misses a chance when it looks easier for him to score. Neuville plays the ball to the German playmaker and, unmarked from eight yards, he scuffs his shot wide of the post.

19 mins: England claim a penalty after Heskey goes down under a challenge from Christian Worns in the area, but Pierluigi Collina waves play on.

17 mins: England captain David Beckham goes desperately close to scoring another goal for his side.

He curls a low free-kick marginally wide of Kahn's right-hand post.

12 mins: In-form Michael Owen scores an equaliser for England.

England's Ferdinand challenges Jancker

Gary Neville heads into the area breaking Germany's offside trap, Nick Barmby cleverly heads back to Owen and the Liverpool striker volleys home from nine yards.
Germany 1-1 England.

8 mins: England mount their first attack of the match. David Beckham breaks down the right and crosses low toward Emile Heskey, who is lurking on the edge of the six-yard box.

Kahn comes off his line quickly to clear with his feet.

6 mins: Germany, who have dominated the early stages of the match, take the lead.

Michael Ballack crosses from the left, Neuville heads on from the edge of the area and Jancker bursts through to slot past David Seaman from eight yards.
Germany 1-0 England.

3 minutes: England defender Sol Campbell heads away a threatening Oliver Neuville free-kick for a corner.

The resultant set-piece is hit too long and England come away with the ball.

1830 BST: Carsten Jancker and Sebastian Deisler kick off for Germany at a noisy and expectant Olympic Stadium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams news:

David Beckham captains England in their World Cup clash against Germany in Munich.

The Manchester United midfielder wins his battle against a groin injury picked up in Premiership action at Aston Villa last weekend.

Liverpool's Nick Barmby fills the problematic left-sided midfield berth.

As expected, Michael Owen partners Liverpool colleague Emile Heskey up front, with Robbie Fowler and Andy Cole on the bench.

Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell will play in the centre of defence, with Gary Neville and Ashley Cole the full-backs.

Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes complete the midfield as Sven Goran Eriksson named his strongest possible team.

Germany have also named the team that many had expected. Carsten Jancker and Oliver Neuville are chosen in attack by manager Rudi Völler.

Germany: Kahn; Worns, Linke, Nowotny; Boehme, Hamann, Rehmer, Ballack, Deisler; Jancker, Neuville. Subs: Lehmann, Bierhoff, Asamoah, Kehl, Frank Baumann, Ziege, Klose.

England: Seaman; G Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, Ashley Cole; Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Barmby; Owen, Heskey. Subs: Martyn, Carragher, Southgate, Hargreaves, McManaman, Fowler, Andy Cole.

BBC

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:49 am

At least we're still first in the group...

We beat them in Wembley, they beat us in Olympia Stadion...

Oh well, England we're superior today and they played very well...

But we'll be back!!!

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:53 am

Yeah, but if England win their last games, Germany can win 20-0 against Finland and still only be second  Sad .

Daniel Smile

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:59 am

Not to worry my friend...

I just hope that Rudi Voeller doesn't get the blame for this one since it wasn't his fault... And I hope that Sven Erickson doesn't get the credit for this one because he doesn't deserve it either...

I wonder whats going on with soccer lately... Holland is prety much out and won't be there (  Smile) Brazil is struggling to make it and it looks ugly... England beats Germany???

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:13 am

But you don´t really expect England not to win games vs. Greece and Albania (!) at home (!!) when these teams firmly occupy the last spots in group 9 (!!!) and have no chance to get to Korea and Japan (!!!!), do you?

Daniel Smile

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:20 am

Well, I hope for a draw at least against Greece... If Germany can blow out Finnland we're still good!!!

I hope that Effenberg will soon and finally decide to play for his country, he's exactly what they need...

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:27 am

Greece - hmm, Rehagel might help, huh? Oh well, we´ll see.

Effenberg? Never, that selfish Bavarian bastard just counts his riches with his wife until she dumps him as soon as he´s old and invalid (i.e. with 36  Big grin).

Anyway, what am I doing in front of the computer on a Saturday night??? Gotta go now, the night is young and so am I  Big grin...

Daniel Smile

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:42 am

England played great football and our players are all boring. To much influence of plastic Leverkusen.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:45 am

And idiot MV will give us the rest.

gkirk

Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:20 am

Damn Germans, change the BY livery and now, get thrashed by England! Oh well, as lomg as France give the English the beating they deserve IF they play.
 Angry
Germany dont deserve to be in the World Cup after this  Angry
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Jaspike
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:58 pm

Let's hope England win on Wednesday. Smile

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:52 pm

...NOT Big grin

Daniel Smile

EGGD

Sun Sep 02, 2001 8:48 pm

Well, i was in the aviation chat room for the whole of the game, well i was in the pub watching it! I came back at Half time to see my good friends Sukhoi and SAS_Guy supporting Germany!!!

At that time it was 2-1, they thought they were still in with a chance. Then it was off back to the pub. After alot of celebrating and alot of alcohol, we got back and i got to rub it in Sukhoi's face!!!!! But not SAS_Guy, he left  Sad  Sad  Sad

Sorry Sukhoi!

5-1 5-1 5-1

5-1 5-1 5-1

Gkirk - 1996!!!!!!

Regards

Dan

ryanb741

Sun Sep 02, 2001 8:51 pm

At the end of the day, 5-1 was a fantastic result for us, but I don't think the teams were that far apart. If Deisler hadn't missed an easy chance to make it 2-1 Germany (or if Seaman hadn't made a fantastic save from Boeme) (SP) it could have been different. Basically, the German defence just couldn't cope with Michael Owen. Also, with Scotland only drawing with Croatia (and therefore no-way qualifying for the World Cup) it has been a good day for England.

Airsicknessbag and Gyro, unfortunately for Germany there is no way whatsoever that England will not beat Albania and Greece - now that last night's result means that Greece have no chance of qualifying. However, I am sure Germany will learn from last night and qualify through the play offs. Remember, Germany aren't that bad - they beat us at Wembley last year. Last night was just a combination of bad German defending and incredible finishing from England (I think pretty much all the chances were converted while Germany missed many. For me, only Carsten Jancker played well for Germany - in the first half he caused England many problems at the back).
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Klaus

Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:42 pm

Congratulations to England!  Smile

We lost... but I think it just had to happen at some time.

Airsicknessbag: Effenberg? Never, that selfish Bavarian bastard just counts his riches with his wife until she dumps him as soon as he´s old and invalid (i.e. with 36)

My thoughts exactly! Big grin

Jaspike
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2001 12:03 am

England did well.
Let's hope they keep it up
 Smile Big thumbs up Smile

ryanb741

Mon Sep 03, 2001 1:22 am

Interesting to see that many Scots prefer to say Germany are an awful team instead of recognising England's achievement. I mean, Germany, prior to last night had only ever lost 1 previous World Cup qualifier in their history - and that was against Portugal when they had already qualified. I'm sorry to those north of the border, but please try and recognise that England are, have been and always be your superiors. Anyway, after your result yesterday don't be too despondent - we promise we'll send you a postcard from Tokyo!  Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Mon Sep 03, 2001 1:49 am

Well, we know what England did last time when they had beaten us at the EuroCup. They lost their qualification for the next round anyway.

But yesterday they played fantastic football.
See what a foreign coach can do  Big grin

AFC_Ajax00

Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:35 am

THEY BEAT THE GERMANS 5-1 HAHAHAHA
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

gkirk

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:30 am

I noticed the English fans were up to there usual rioting. Whilst we Scots, win, draw or lose will keep on partying. And that English anthem is stupid.
"Oh flower of Scotland, when will we see..."
Now thats a great anthem.
Scotland will still qualify as long as we beat Belguim and Latvia, and results go our way.  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EGGD

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:53 am

Lose lose lose, its all an excuse for the scots to get drunk Big grin

ryanb741

Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:50 am

Why is it that Craig Brown always seems to pander to the English media? There the BBC were, two hours before Scotland's crucial clash with Croatia and they are asking him how he thinks England will do against Germany. I mean, come on! - like he really gives a sh*t - he wants Scotland to win and f*ck England, but yet he always wishes England good luck and hopes they do well. As a diplomat he is fantastic, but I get the impression he's a little too nice sometimes (maybe he wants to follow his fellow Scot Adam Crozier into the English FA!). Also, I can't believe Gary McAllister isn't playing for Scotland - he would have made the difference!

Also, to all Scots, ignore my earlier rant about Scotland - I was a little irate at my Scottish neighbour saying that England were useless and only won because Germany were so rubbish - I mean, Germany didn't exactly play at 100% but you have to remember that a fair few of their team play for the current Champion's League holders Bayern Munich, and Hamann plays for this years winners Liverpool, so they weren't exactly sitting ducks. Anyway, hopefully Craig Brown's boys can get a result against Belgium and then hope Croatia and Belgium cut each other's throats in their meeting.

Biggest kudos of all goes to the Republic of Ireland - 1-0 against Holland with ten men is a fantastic performance and as they have to play the third placed Asian team in the play-off (looks likely to be Thailand) then I think its fair to say to Mick McCarthy and his boys 'see you in Tokyo!'.

ryanb741

Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:23 am

Another point, to you Germans out there. Don't be too dispirited because the difference between the teams wasn't four goals, it was just finishing and luck that made the difference. Plus you will still qualify even if through the play offs - last night's result apart Germany are still a good team when Scholl plays.

Also, Germany are very good at analysing what went wrong and coming back stronger. I remember Germany being pilloried when beaten by Bulgaria in the 1994 World Cup and what do they do - come back 2 years later and win the European Championships. One thing is for sure, I would not want England to be drawn in the same World Cup Group in Japan at the World Cup proper as no way will Germany allow that result to be repeated - they will stick 5 men on Owen if necessary but Germany will come back stronger and no doubt knock us out of a major tournament on panalty kicks some time in the future!  Big thumbs up

Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:56 am

England are, have been and always be your superiors
 Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

...and you wonder why the Scots support any team that play against England with that attitude....?

Yeh, it's hard being a Scot sometimes.

Germany were bad, England were better.
I did enjoy the game and I'll give credit were credit is due, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Remind me. What was the score the last time England played Scotland at Wem-be-ley?

And totally missed by the English media.
The last time Scotland played Germany, it was played in Germany and the Scots won... not long ago either.

In perspective, England are still an ordinary side with a dodgy defence. It's hard to admit, just stand back and look.

Good luck

Cheers

Gerry

ryanb741

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:34 pm

Here we go again Yeah sure I meant England were superior at football.

Anyway, why should we care what you bitter Scots with your one dimensional team and your joke of a league think about England? You always like to put us down so this means you guys must have been really impressed with our performance to go on so much about it  Big grin How you can call any team with Owen, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard etc 'ordinary' is beyond me. The potential is massive, and they proved that on Saturday. The England attack and midfield on its day is as good or better than anyone's (yes even France's) - all they have to do is get a little consistency. Still, if Craig Brown tells his boys to sit back and watch England on the TV next summer maybe they might learn something..... I'm sure you will love seeing our 'ordinary' side lifting that trophy aside - who knows, perhaps we'll even let you have a look at it.....

Good luck qualifying for Euro 2004.....

ryanb741

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:37 pm

airsicknessbag

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:18 pm

From Ryanb741´s BBC link:

>>>Beckenbauer predicted a German victory before the match.

That´s not quite true, he said he expected a draw; and so did Mr. Hurst, by the way.

Daniel Smile

Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:16 pm

Yawn

BBC link:... uses the word "if" twice....
I'm really really convinced too.....

Jaspike
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:48 am

All that matters is that England won, and hopefully they will do on Wednesday Big thumbs up Smile

Jaspike
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:15 am

Yay!
5 Stars Smile