A Very Sad Story!

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:53 am

In seattle there was a lady threatening to jump of the bridge, and some drivers by where yelling out of there window 'Just do it' and 'Jump'.
I was very upset when reading this story, as she ended up jumping!

To read the whole story: Click Here

Iain

RE: A Very Sad Story!

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:55 am

Indeed a sad sad world.

Matt D

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:00 am

What is so sad about that? I would've offered the services of a chain and a cement mixer to attach herself to.

What gives anyone the right to put on a show like that that inevitablty causes traffic to slow to a crawl for miles and miles?

I'm sorry if your lover left you, and you lost your job, and your house burned down, and you found out that you have to have a limb severed due to some rare muscular disorder, but please, don't block the road I am travelling on.

If you want to turn yourself into Purina Crab Chow by plunging yourself into the waters below (or Purina Crow Chow if you plan to splatter yourself onto the pavement below), then do it and get it over with.

PanAm747

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:06 am

Matt D,

Life isn't a movie, people actually have feelings. Sometimes helping others out in their time of need is better than filling up an MD-11.

Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

milldoh

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:06 am

well at least she did survive. and a few of the decent people left in this world are trying to apologize for the actions of others.

"I'm sorry if your lover left you, and you lost your job, and your house burned down, and you found out that you have to have a limb severed due to some rare muscular disorder, but please, don't block the road I am travelling on."

don't make yourself look like an idiot by saying things like that.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:08 am

I would expect nothing less than a stupid comment from you Matt, after the comments you made in the post about me staying in Colton, You are just as soory an individual as those yelling at the girl to jump.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_hobby/read.main/14435/

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:13 am

A persons life is far more important then 1000's being delayed for work. Matt D what you do if she was the one that saved your life when you had just been in a tragic accident, or talk a drunk person into getting a cab home, which inturns saves you or a loved one.
Something to think about!
Iain

jwenting

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:38 am

If a person threatens to kill herself in order to get something she does not deserve, let her.
Same with people doing hungerstrikes to get political asylum (when they are common criminals in their own country) or better prisonconditions (read, more channels on their cable TV), let them and good riddance.

We're not here to solve the problems of every lowlife wanting a cheap ride.
I wish I were flying

SophieMaltese

Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:45 am

That's awful. Somebody should have taken the people telling her to jump and thrown them off after her. I can't stand that some people can be so insensitive.

jessman

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:10 am

Why commit suicide in a public place. That's insensitive. If you have to kill yourself please, there are many ways to do it in your own, private room. Who knows how many little kids were traumitized by seeing a crazy woman jump off a bridge. And she lived! one. She did not accomplish her goal. I guess she really is a loser. Two. What happens when every nutcase who wants their name in the paper decides to jump off the bridge. The media put the crazy kids who shot their classmates on the news, so more crazy kids shot their classmates. It is a crazy world we live in. I don't understand.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:23 am

I agree with Matt D. Dont try to win sympathy and get attention for yourself. if you really have that many problems, then pull over, get out of your car and jump, dont hold up traffic, as most people couldnt care. I guess she survived, maybe she will actually do the job next time, and do it in the privacy of her home instead of making people late for work.

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:32 am

YOu didn´t know that attempted suicides by FEMALES are cries for help, in reality, did you?
That´s why women take pills while men blow their brains out, play the "loser vs. train" game or go bungee jumping without bungee.

Daniel Smile

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:37 am

I hope and pray she survives because now she can be a testimony to others who are thinking about suicide. She should get her life together, start over, and be a mentor to others who are going through hard time.

This just goes to show you that people can't stand to be inconvenienced and if it doesn't concern them or some one that they love, they could care less. This is why we are seeing such juvenille and insensative remarks here. And shame on the people who encouraged her to jump.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:45 am

Matt D and Delta.....absolutely mindnumbing childish comments.

Anyway...

From that BBC article...

Seattle's image as a civilised city has taken a blow after rush-hour motorists shouted at a woman to hurry up her suicide jump so traffic could clear.

Get the f*** outta here.

Seattle's image as a civilised city was totally destroyed and blown into small bits after the World Economic Forum debacle not all that long ago.

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:59 am

The woman was an idiot, don't waste any tears over her. She stood on that bridge for over 3 hours, negotiating with police, before jumping. And she did a cannonball when she hit the water! Insane
Dear moderators: No.

VirginLover

Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:08 am

Probably because, deep down, she didn't want to die. I hope you know that depression is a mental illness, and that people don't "choose" to be suicidal. Do you think anorexics starve themselves until the point of death because they want to in a sane state? Do you think people with OCD (Obbessive Complusive Disorder) check things 6 or 7 times or preform rituals over and over because they enjoy it? No. Matt and Delta, I hope YOU never get a mental illness, because I don't think people would be sympathic to your cause.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:45 am

hey thats fine, I will still have the common sense not to stand in traffic and hold people up. If I were a driver I would have got out of my car, chained a cinder block to her ankle and pushed her over and then be on my way to work.

Joona

Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:37 am

Matt D: A typical US-American not caring for anybody else but his own fat a$$.

Matt D: You have finally lost all my respect for you.

Joona
1740 days idle. Beat that.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:59 am

Joona,

Please do not consider that as "typical" of all Americans. There are some Americans who are very caring of other people, trust me. I think most people, regardless of where they live, would be digusted at the behavior displayed by those motorist, as well as, some of the people here.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 8:02 am

Sorry for typing so fast. They should read "disgusted".

VirginLover

Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:00 am

Delta, if you even READ my post, you would know if someone is that unstable that they're ready to end their lives, do you think they would have common sense? You are a spoiled, self-centered brat.

OO-AOG

Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:33 am

Matt D.
I think your post is even more sad than this woman's tragedy. Sad world really  Sad
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

kevin

Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:46 am

Well excuse me , this woman has a lot of ego. "Hallo everyone, I do not care whether you have something to do , but look at poor me I'm going to jump from the bridge! " How stupid!
May be some of these motorists had their relatives in hospital or they had a life important business to do. Why should everyone suffer because this woman wants to jump? If she has mental troubles let her relatives or friends take her to a psychiatrist.

Olympic A-340

Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:56 am

Hey Kevin,
Here is a thought, maybe that women had NO ONE to take her to a psychiatrist out of sympathy. Perhaps she was all alone and felt trapped inside her own body.

Matt D, and Delta,
You are the types of poor basta*** that make me want to leave this country. You have lost all of my respect.

avion

Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:13 pm

Matt D you are an a*******. Do you still wonder why nobody likes you?? And why you never get laid??

cba

Matt D

Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:03 pm

Only a bitter and pessimistic conservative would say such a thing.

SSTjumbo

Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:20 pm

Matt and Delta, that is EXTREMELY, YES EXTREMELY ignorant of you to say that. I explode at that level of ignorance, insensitivity, and self-centeredness. It's obvious, too, that you guys are intentionally being rebels of humanity. BTW, that is coming from a conservative!!!
I don't know, so this is my signature.

OH-LGA

Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:31 pm

When I first heard this story earlier today from a friend, I thought it funny because I thought it was a joke... now I can see it wasn't.

What Matt D & DeltaRNOmd-80 said was rude and insensitive. I agree with that. But last I checked this was a free country and it really isn't your place to go and bitch them out. To quote, "Judge not lest ye be judged". Trying to give them a guilt trip and saying things like "you have lost my respect", pleeaase. Like they care.

If someone actually goes and does that, they have something seriously wrong in their life. Unfortunately they don't know how to resolve it in ways other than taking a drastic action. I'm appalled at the lack of civility in Seattle, although I never did hold that city to any high regard, and especially after the WTO hoopla. May I also mention that I hate anti-globalization protesters. They suck.  Pissed

I express sympathy for the woman, I hope she's all right, and I wish her the best. I have my own reasoning why people do this, but this drives right off into my conservative and religious viewpoints, and the general climate of this forum would flame me like there's no tomorrow. Whether you like it or not, all you that are flaming Matt D & DeltaRNOmd-80 for what they said, do the same type of thing already, but on different subjects.

You're all insensitive.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

tupolev154b2

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:03 pm

OH-LGA: You're all insensitive.

Very well-said!

LH423

Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:31 pm

I hate people like Matt D. There was an article in the New York Post (granted, not a pillar of respected journalism, but decent enough) yesterday was a column regarding the funeral of pop diva Aaliyah. The author said that she was not famous, and that 99% of people never even heard of her, and that she was not royalty, so what right is it for her funeral to mess up his Labour Day travel plans by closing off several Manhattan blocks.

Where has society gone when a workday commute is more important than someone's life?

BTW, Aviatsiya: As in Québec at the Sommet des Amériques (Summit of the Americas), or in Genoa, Italy at the G8 Summit, much of the anti-globalization protesters were not actually from that city, but had travelled from elsewhere to Seattle to protest.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:59 pm

Guys, you know I am by no means Conservative, or cold hearted, but COME ON! The lady was talking to police for 3 HOURS! Generally when you talk that long, you don't really want to jump. Besides, she is still alive.

lewis

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:11 pm

The next time something like that happens you might as well go help her jump Matt in order to be all @$$holes' hero: The one that gave a stop to traffic! How can you be so stupid????? Go and have your brains checked, I'm seenjg some mental disorder here.

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:20 pm

Matt does have a mental illness. A lack of social conscience is a very dangerous, yet treatable disease. He has to want to help himself first, though.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:37 pm

Matt D and Delta RNO MD-80.

OK, in all honesty, I don't think you would help her jump guys. Come on. If you were really there and in that situation, I'm sure you, like any human being, would feel at least a bit sorry for her.

I would.

And the motorists who encouraged her to jump-

Well I don't think they thought she would take them seriously. Although outrageously inhumane and cruel to encourage her to jump, I believe they felt that they were using a for of reverse-psychology, where by telling her to jump, she would be discouraged from jumping, as it would not reach to goal of having someone "rescue" her because no-one "cared".

This is what Virginlover means by a cry for help. She didn't really want to jump. She wanted someone to rescue her, and let her know she was really worth keeping around.

Well, it didn't happen, and the results...are history.  Sad

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

BTW, in that situation, I would get out of my car, grab the lady, and pull her away from the edge. I will not see antoher human being die, not like that.

Joona

Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:47 pm

Please do not consider that as "typical" of all Americans. There are some Americans who are very caring of other people, trust me. I think most people, regardless of where they live, would be digusted at the behavior displayed by those motorist, as well as, some of the people here.

Yes, I know there are good people there too, I know some of them....

But sadly what Matt D showed is the typical view we in Europe get from the US-Americans.

Joona

Trvlr

Mon Sep 03, 2001 12:56 am

Wow this is an interesting conversation...funny how quite a few people have made fools of themselves. Thanks for the amusement, guys.

Aaron G.

SSTjumbo

Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:09 am

Wow this is an interesting conversation...funny how quite a few people have made fools of themselves. Thanks for the amusement, guys.

Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:38 am

Gosh it amazes me how thoughtless and selfish some people are. Considering we don't know what was behind the woman wanting to commit suicide I thinks it's a bit pitiful that people could be so cruel.

Has she sufferend verbal and physical abuse from an asshole partner - who may have caused her to miscarry? She may have had no friends to turn to or may have felt she couldn't anyway.

This could be anyones mother, sister or best friend we are talking about. How can you tell if someone is feeling the way they do? You can't most of the time. That is the painful and awful thing about suicide - people rarely understand why someone feels that way and does the act.

Clearly there are some people who are just plain crazy, but usually in cases like this the person in just another normal citizen who has been driven to the extreme for one reason or another. As I said, it could be anyones mother, sister, or best friend.

mb

EGGD

Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:08 am

I was talking to Zach (N400QX) when she was on the bridge, and i think he heard it from the radio. If someone is going to jump, but doesn't straight away, it does means a cry for help, men just think "there is nothing for me here" and jump, but women, its different.

Maybe thats hard for some people to understand, especially us men, i mean, if your gonna jump, jump, right?

Aloha - really, you gotta stop agreeing with everyone  Big grin

Regards

Dan

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:54 pm

Big thumbs up

Matt D

Mon Sep 03, 2001 10:23 pm

Holy smokes!!!! I take a couple of days off to do some "real world" business and I come back to see this trash being posted?

Yikes!!!!
I'm not going to sit here and rebut every single post as that would take all morning. So I'll have to summarize it all.

First of all, explain to me where the mental illness is:
I'm probably the most level headed person there is here. Perhaps that's the reason so many people give me such trouble: envy.

And yes, I have a huge ego bordering on obnoxious arrogance. But at least I have the intestinal fortitude and lack of denial to admit it.

I don't give a rats @$$ what the Europeans think. I'm sorry, but I don't. They, like too many Americans as well, already have their minds made up, and aren't about to let facts get in the way of their perceptions.

I'm not the one standing on the edge of a bridge.

If this person "really" did have a best friend or two, why didn't she go to that person for help? If that person really was a "best freind", he or she could've almost certainly done something to help without this woman going to such extreme measures. Otherwise, this person was nobodys best friend. Kinda blows a big hole in that argument.

Why do we pretend to care so much about people only in situations like this? Again, I think all of you are full of schidt. In a society that sues other people for our own stupidity, thoughtlessly puts door dings in that other persons brand new BMW, backstabs co-workers to avoid blame, or to get a promotion, cheats on lovers and spouses, and so on and so on and so on, do we REALLY care about other people?

NO.
Why am I being selfish?

I have not taken anything from this woman nor am I hoarding enything to myself from her.

I don't know what motivated her to jump. She could very well have had a number of issues that collectively, literally, and metaphorically "drove her to the edge".

While I sympathize with her cry for help, I don't sympathize with her method. As I've stated before, ones liberties end when they encroach on other peoples liberties, in this case, blocking traffic.

And now, what do you think is likely to happen to this woman? Not only was she probably taken to a mental institution, but whatever problems she thought she was going to get away from are still there. And even if she 'deals' with her issues, she will forever be looked down on in society as everyone who comes across her will have an image of this suicidal woman in the back of their mind. And she will be treated with a certain level of condescention, and with little respect.

So tell me again how this woman is better off now?

It's kind of like the person that survives a plane crash. But ended up with a punctured lung, 5 broken ribs, one arm and both feet were amputated, you are blind in one eye, and sustained 3rd degree burns over 40% of your body. And that person says "Damn, I'm glad to be alive".

I look at them and say "WHY???????" What kind of life are you going to lead that is worth living?

Sometimes in life, there are times when you are better off dead.

Joona

Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:51 am

Matt D, you bring up some good and well-thought points, however you still show that IGNORANCE you US-Americans are well known in the world.....

If you were in that woman's situation, I bet you would've appreciated all the help you would get.

Joona

tupolev154b2

Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:00 am

IMO, by doing what she did she was just asking someone to care for her since no one does in her mind. By encouraging her to jump, you just make a fellow human being feel worse. Which is more important - making it to work on time for money or love between human beings? We can all live without money but we all need love.

Matt D

Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:41 am

Joona:

What is the point that I am missing that is indicative of ignorance?

Tupolev154B2:

To me, I'd rather make it to work on time. I don't know about you or the rest of the world, but here where I am, money is everything. They say you can't buy happiness. I would have to say that you can, at the very least, rent it.

As for everyone 'needing' love, well I've gone without it for most of my life, and I still function just fine.

And lastly, all of you coming to this womans defense, what ever happened to taking control of your life? Why should we have to come to everyones rescue? What was preventing her from going to someone-anyone-and asking for help?

If it was pride/embarrasment, then all I can say is that I hope she enjoys her stay in the loony bin...because I bet that's where she is at the moment.

OO-AOG

Tue Sep 04, 2001 2:52 am

The point here is not european vs american but rather what's an animal and what's an human being? An animal is simply selfish, it's not his fault, it's just like that. He doesn't care of anything else than himself.
An human being might be selfish as well of course, but should also have a conscious. No honestly I don't care that someone like you is stuck for 2 hours in a traffic jam, but I'm really sad to know that someone commited suicide and nobody was able to help her.
YES, a human should care of other persons. Yes we should give attention to a deseperate person who needs help, that's called generosity. Selfish people have never done anything good for humanity.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

NoUFO

Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:35 am

Too bad the lady jumped and not those people yelling.
This is truly a sad story, lain, and similar other accoure here and then.
Homo homini lupus.

Regards,
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:12 am

Sad

mrman_3k

Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:50 am

I do not totally agree with everyone, but just from a reading perspective, I like that stuck up sarcastic way Matt D puts things, so straight foward yet somewhat funny. Almost like Jay Leno or one of those guys.

Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:05 am

MattD,

In your tiny black and white little world I'll ask you some questions.

Have you ever been involved in an abusive relationship? One that involves a partner physically and mentally abusing you? Someone who cut's you off from your family and friends for their own selfish needs? Someone who has you financially locked to them? Someone who manages to manipulate you into doing things that you would not normally do? You start to get to a point where you feel there is nothing left and you are too mortified to seek help because you think there is something wrong with you?

Obviously you haven't otherwise you would understand what puts some people over the edge. The whole problem is these people have been carefully manipulated and abused to the point where their self worth is zero. No-one deserves to be treated like that but unfortunately there are people in the world who do it to others.

And don't think for one second 'normal' people don't get involved in those kinds of relationships, because it's the normal people that get sucked in by manipulating persons all the time.

Don't think for one second that this may not happen to you, unless of course you are in that category of people that are the abusers. Because it can happen to the most level headed and smart people.

Domestic violence happens to men / women / gay / straight and anywhere else in between.

Not saying that this particular case is the above, but Matty don't stick your head in the sand and say "who cares" because one day you may have someone close to you (or yourself) who needs help.

mb

Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:45 am

I note no response.

mb