Do You Shop At A Westfield Shoppingtown?

Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:20 pm

Hey guys,

I know this sounds like a banal topic, but I am curious as to how many of you have 'shopped' at a Westfield Shoppingtown. (Or Westfield Mall).

What do you think of them? Are they laid out pleasantly and are they large?

Cheers,

mb

Aussiemite

RE: Do You Shop At A Westfield Shoppingtown?

Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:37 pm

I know of 2 in Brisbane apparantly there are 3.

I tend not to visit in any of them.

If I want shoes or trousers & shirts Florsheims and Tony Barlows @ Garden City are the only way to go.
Apart from that goto Stones Corner

Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:03 am

Westfield has come to America!

JetService

Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:55 am

Is that in Australia? I hate when people assume this is an Australian forum.  Big grin
"Shaddap you!"

airlinelover

Thu Sep 06, 2001 4:09 am

And what, exactly, is this "Westfield"?

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:13 am

Jetservice,

You cheeky shit, I was referring to "Westfield Shoppingtowns" worldwide.

What prompted me to post this topic was reading some news related articles and research on the company "Westfield Holdings". This stock was on a buy list for one of my porfolios and I noticed the price of the shares had fallen over the past few days with no discernable reason.

Westfield Holdings is an Australian company in the business of building and refurbing mega-malls accross both a Australia, NZ, UK, Europe and the USA - re-branding them "Westfield Shoppingtowns".

I never realised how widespread they were until reading the research articles and was interested what you guys thought of "our brand" of mega-mall. Sydney is covered in the damn things.

Go to: www.shoppingtowns.com

The above link will take you to the USA website which indicates around 40 of these malls in your country.

Cheers,

mb

seb146

Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:02 am

It was called Vancouver Mall in Vancouver, Washington, USA. It is the same as before. Kinda dark, flora and fauna around. Not really a "mega-mall" but it is nice size The anchor stores (Sears, Pennys, Nordstroms, Meier & Frank) seem to be smaller as compaired to other malls in the Portland area.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

JetService

Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:05 am

Mx5_boy, LOL!!!

OK, you're off the hook.  Big grin
"Shaddap you!"

Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:33 am

Whats the founder's name? I remember he has some story, he was a Jew who like fled eastern europe after WW2.

America's branded malls are mostly Simon Malls.

http://www.ShopSimon.com

TNNH

Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:52 am

TNNH,

The founder and major shareholder is "Frank Lowy" and yes he is Eastern European - although I will have to look up from which country he is from.

I have read his story - vaguely remember it.

Link: www.westfield.com.au

That site may have a 'history' section with relevance.

Cheers,

mb

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Sep 06, 2001 11:47 am

my local mall, Meadowood Mall, is a Taubman owned property. Two of the malls in JAX are Simon malls.

Trvlr

Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:11 pm

About one or two years ago, the Westfield conglomerate bought out pretty much every major mall in the San Diego area. The layout of each mall has stayed the same, except that there is Westfield signage everywhere. I'm not sure if it's really (noticeably) benefitted the area's malls, although it probably has, considering there is a larger company with a much larger cash reserves behind each mall. Plus, the company as a whole probably has a lot more power behind it when it bargains with stores to set up locations at their malls. All in all, I think it's been good for the area malls.

Also, I remember when I was watching CNBC or something a while ago, they were flashing some All Ords quotes on the screen and I saw many stocks with the "Westfield" prefix to them...like Westfield Mining, Holdings, etc. Have they branched out into areas other than real estate?

Aaron G.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:41 pm

Who? What? Where?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:41 pm

Aaron,

They haven't branched away from their core activities that I can see. The main company is "Westfield Holdings" and under this are several listed property trusts - "Westfield Trust" & "Westfield America Trust".

So they haven't really done much in the way of 're-furb' of the ones in San Diego? That's odd as they tend to do 'community consultation' with the public who use the malls then refurb along the lines of what the public in the area like.

All the ones in Sydney are different - with various mixes of department stores / shops. I personally don't like Mall's and prefer to do my shopping in the City (downtown) area.

Cheers,

mb

Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:06 pm

Aaron,

I checked their website and it seems like they own all the major shopping centers in the S.D. area except for Fashion Valley Mall.

Trvlr

Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:12 pm

...which, incidentally, is the best one! lol

I usually go to UTC, Horton Plaza, or Fashion Valley.

Aaron G.

Dasa

Thu Sep 06, 2001 6:10 pm

I don't think Westfield have run-over Melbourne as much as they have Sydney...yet. I have only been to the Southland Westfield here. It looks quite nice, although it is hard to navigate. I prefer my local shopping centre, The Glen, or the CBD area.

Aussiemite

Hes A Jew

Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:54 pm

From my memory hes jewish