us330

Pakistan's Increasing Importance

Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:53 am

With the US ever closer to war with Afghanistan, and relations with Iran not good enough to allow any military activity over its borders, how do you think Pakistan's reaction is? Is it true support for the US, or is it just that they are looking into a loaded gun?

EIPremier

RE: Pakistan's Increasing Importance

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:29 pm

Pakistan is looking into our loaded gun. In reality, Pakistan may actually have done more to shape and mold the Taliban than Afghanistan itself.

But, I agree that getting support from Pakistan is important, considering that they have nuclear weapons.

The sad thing about our determination to fight Afghanistan is that the majority of Afghans no longer agree with Taliban policies. The Taliban came to power promising to rebuild the country, and it is now clear that they have betrayed their people. I would wager that most Afghans would greatly appreciate Western assitance in overthrowing the Taliban regime.

EIPremier

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:34 pm

But, I agree that getting support from Pakistan is important, considering that they have nuclear weapons.

I should also state that there is no evidence that they have any "delivery systems." So, there shouldn't be any threat to the US in that regard.

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:38 pm

With the US ever closer to war with Afghanistan, and relations with Iran not good enough to allow any military activity over its borders, how do you think Pakistan's reaction is? Is it true support for the US, or is it just that they are looking into a loaded gun?

Pakistan is probably really happy, and/or relieved to have such a strong friend as the United States. As to your inquiry about whether Pakistan's support is genuine or not, it's probably 50/50.

Airliners.net Policy?

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:43 pm

I'm new here, so please enlighten me as to whether it's standard procedure for memebers to announce their retirement?

Also, if you could please give me some advice to how this whole thing works (ex. standard procedures, format, etc.), that would be great. I've read the rules, so don't give me a long speech about that crap.