"This Topic Is Archived..." : Why?

Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:28 pm

"This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more"

for old topics, which remained unanswered for a long time, it's easy to understand why.

but some recent topics, with a lot of posts being sent to, are sometimes "archived" too.
why??
by whom?

Hepkat

RE: "This Topic Is Archived..." : Why?

Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:30 pm

I feel the same way. Why? What's the criteria? Why stifle a lively but civil debate?

klmfan

Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:32 pm

I noticed that too.
In my opinion, whoever does this doesn't want certain topics to go too far or considers them not suitable for the sitaution.
Topics recently archived or deleted (I think) are the ones related to "going to war", "Nostradamus" , ones which express politcal views that might be interpreted as somewhat radical, and I think there are also some in which some users tried to accuse a fellow user of being a terrorist.

Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:38 pm

It is better to DELETE a topic than to "freeze" it at a certain point: it's uncomfortable to read posts to which one cannot answer anymore!

klmfan

Mon Sep 24, 2001 4:40 pm

I agree, but maybe nobody suggested deletion?

Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:00 pm

but has anybody suggested "archiving"? (I don't know such an option)

Rickster

Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:02 pm

Maybe a new/re start would make sense?

jwenting

Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:30 pm

seems to happen when a topic is suggested for deletion but before being deleted.
Maybe not all admins can delete topics but they can close them?
I wish I were flying

Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:04 am

Sometimes the staff feels that this certain topic has to be archived to not confuse people for example there was a post that said something about if a 707 hit WTC something like that and all topics related to that were archived to control the forums.

Hepkat

Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:18 am

Personally, I think it's a form of censorship. I've noticed topics getting archived for no other reason than the topic getting a bit too heated. Since this is a privately run board, I guess there's nothing we can do about the censhorship, but I wish the admin would allow responsible members to argue their points, as long as the topic truly doesn't get out of hand. In my opinion, the recently archived topic was completely within bounds, and if I were admin of this forum, I would have definitely allowed it to continue.