mirrodie

Rumor Of New Computer Prices To Drop

Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:05 am

I was going to get a new computer next week but someone alerted me to the fact that in October, prices are to drop.

Is that a farce?

Also, I would like your advice. I am currently using a Dell 8100 with 512 RAM. So it's relatively quick.

I am looking for a computer that would do a great job with one flight sim. But I mostly use the computer for websurfing and sometimes for word processing.

I was looking at the Dell 4300 v 8200. What do you think I should look into? I have been leaning toward Dell b/c of it's great customer support but I'd like your opinions. Thanks.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

EGGD

RE: Rumor Of New Computer Prices To Drop

Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:36 am

Build one yourself, its cheaper. I have noticed the price of components have gone down, so PC prices might go down too soon..

Regards

Dan

mirrodie

Sat Sep 29, 2001 12:09 pm

I would if I knew how.

But I wouldn't even know where to start. Besides, if I made one minute mistake, I'd be screwed with no help and zero support. In fact, my brother's friend offered to hook me up with a killer system, but do you really just give someone $1500, let's say, and hope for the best? Tough call.

I appreciate your thought but how would I go about it? I am just assuming that liability would be a non issue if I did it myself, but that's a huge risk, right?

How easy is it to just build a computer??

Anyway, back to my original query: has anyone else heard of this? The prices to drop?

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

watewate

Sat Sep 29, 2001 1:54 pm

It's really not that hard to build a system on your own. If you're concerned, buy the motherboard, memory, cpu and the case all at one dealer. They'll put them together for you at NO cost. All the other components are a matter of snapping them in and hooking up cables. I noticed that most novice builders are worried about getting the motherboard and cpu together- and if you do as I say, you won't get your hands dirty and save a bundle at the same time.
Shipping is costly, and operating system is a waste of money if you own a system already.
You can easily save a couple hundred dollars if you build your own.

And go with AMD.

mls515

Sat Sep 29, 2001 5:38 pm

>>>but do you really just give someone $1500, let's say, and hope for the best?

No. You give them $500 and hope for the best. If you already have a nice monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc all you really need is a new case, new motherboard, new processor, probably want new memory and maybe a few other things, it's hard to be certain of what you want or need.

The reason why the Gateways and Dells are more expensive is:
1. They offer support.
2. They actually have to pay for the software.  Big grin

$500 would upgrade most people to a nice Athlon system right now and there'd be money left over to upgrade a few other things like memory or hard drive. The reason I'll never buy a system like a gateway or dell, other than because I know how to build one, is that the packages they offer aren't flexible enough. You get stuck with more than you need sometimes or else you get stuck with junk components.

mirrodie

Sat Sep 29, 2001 11:26 pm

Great advice from you all. Thanks.

Can you point me to any websites could give me more info about this? Maybe even recommend a few places in the NY area?

THanks.