Rickster
Topic Author

The Euro - Bad For Consumers?

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:03 pm

Here in Austria 2 supermarket chains started bashing one another via the media using the change for the Schilling currency to the Euro silently raising up prices in Schillings in the past now pricing out in Euro´s telling consumers about how cheap they are compared to compeditors.

Do other Europeans also wonder about unusual amounts they now pay for products in their present currency? Like everywhere there was this psychological barrier of the 9 used in prices, like 89,90 now we have such prices like 107,83 ATS or 33,47 ATS etc.....just to get a "round" Euro price.
Just curious, regards Rickster

Hepkat

RE: The Euro - Bad For Consumers?

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:31 pm

Rickster, these are just temporary bugs that will be worked out during the first few years, if not months following the Euro's introduction.

I for one am giddy with glee that the Euro's finally coming. It's about time! Look at what a common market and currency did for the United States.

LBA

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:34 pm

I've just been over in Ireland where everything is dual priced in preparation for the Euro. Over there like here in the UK everything is a few pounds and 99p etc. When converted it says something like 3.68 Euros etc. I have no doubt that over time prives will be rounded up to the nearest Euro. A few years ago the VAT rate in the UK changed form 15-17.5%. Overnight all prices went from say 3.99 to 4.27 - needless to say the prices are back to 4.99.

Rickster
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:39 pm

Hepkat, for sure this will stabilize itself within the first few months, it´s just interesting to see what it creates. I for myself cannot wait to hold the Euro in my hands. It will bring much more transparency in european pricing policy. And it will not neet to remove the old currencies 2 months, i´m sure it will not take longer then 2-3 weeks.
Cheers

prebennorholm

Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:57 am

When a shop has prices ending with all 9's, then the owner of that shop is actually telling his customers and potential customers exactly this:

Oh, I love you dumb bastards who are unable to figure that $49.99 is the same as fifty dollars.

I try to avoid those shops. It ain't easy, but anyway I try.

In fact I try to avoid all people who call me names like "dumb bastard".

Regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs