englandair

Jedi To Become An Official Religion Of The UK...!

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:13 am

JEDI FORCES ITS WAY ON TO THE CENSUS

By Laura Borg, PA News

JEDI, the religion of Star Wars heroes Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, has been registered by the Government as the 2001 census count continues.

An email campaign, running at the same time as the census, sought to convince up to 10,000 people to put the fictional faith on their form. It claimed that the Government would then be forced to recognise Jedi as an official religion.

While it is still unclear how many people did list the faith as their own, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said that enough people have put it down on the form for them to give it its own code, meaning it will appear as an option on the next census.

However, ONS officials are keen to point out that this does not mean it is an officially recognised religion: "When the forms are processed, all data is encoded and we have given Jedi a code because a large group of people have entered it on their forms.

An ONS spokesman said: "We are not saying that this is an official religion.

"As far as I'm aware nobody within the Government will make this an official religion no matter how many people sign up to it."

The census results are still being counted and will not be published until Autumn 2002.

The data on Jedi Knights in Britain will not be included in the final report although the ONS is happy to consider compiling the data if somebody commissions it.

I know alot of sad people who contributed to making the above happen!

Jaspike

RE: Jedi To Become An Official Religion Of The UK...!

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:14 am

I know. I heard it on the radio.

Please Note: I didn't write that down when I filled it in.

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:15 am

Will they have any holidays in which you can take the day off?
Bring back the Concorde

Jaspike

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:17 am

The Force won’t be with you
Updated 16 Oct 2001

'Star Wars' fans are campaigning to have Jedi registered as an official religion in the UK.

E-mails have been sent all round the country saying it would be recognised if at least 10,000 people put it down in the forthcoming British census.

But the Home Office says that will not happen, regardless of how many people claim they follow Jedi, the religion in the 'Star Wars' films.

A Home Office spokesman told BBC Online anyone wishing to claim their religion was Jedi would be counted as 'other'

An-225

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:21 am

And I wanna conquer the world..
Give all the idiots a brand new religion... Big grin
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:08 am

And Klingon is a "real" language.

Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:00 am

A valiant effort in warding off the boredom of filliing in bureaucratic forms......................

Scotty

Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:40 am

But who are Kafflik Jedi and who are Proddy Jedi??

Wink/being sarcastic

trickijedi

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:11 am

Hurray to the Jedi Knights!

The Master Jedi will be very happy!  Smile
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!