airbus380

Americans Vs. Europeans

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:46 am

This is intended to be a friendly post. I just want to compare the pros and cons of being an American vs. a European.

Americans can drive at 16, while Europeans can drive at 18. But, Europeans can smoke weed legally. Smokin cool. I mean western in this, nothing like Albania, Yugoslavia, etc. Just add what you think.

Airbus380

lubcha132

RE: Americans Vs. Europeans

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:55 am

americans and europeans think that americans are annoying  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Josh (the american)

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:19 am

This is intended to be a friendly post.

Insane

lubcha132

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:30 am

well we can be friendly if we agree on something!

flpuck6

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:37 am

Here's my list:

Europe is more public transportation friendly. Busses and metro systems are much more common (it is the nature of the size of the continent and the layout of cities). In America, a car is invaluable. For example, in Europe, you can get from the airport to the center of the city with either a shuttle bus, regular bus, or metro. Not so at many airports around the US.

Europe still has many services which are nationalized, which work WELL, i.e. health care and more appropriately for a.net airport security.

Some of the bureaucracy in Europe is hard to deal with, at least as an American. The processes in which things have to get done (like visas etc.) are circular vs. linear for the Americans.

Europeans pay much more attention to the quality of their lives. Work consumes Americans.

There are soooo many more. If I think of any, I'll post more.

p.s. It's not legal to smoke weed in France or is it??? That doesn't mean that it's not done though...  Innocent...right...
Bonjour Chef!

lubcha132

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:38 am

Europeans pay much more attention to the quality of their lives. Work consumes Americans.

This is supposed to be a friendly post!  Insane

just kidding  Wink/being sarcastic! they said that to me

Smile/happy/getting dizzySH

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:44 am

Being an American, I have to agree that our public transportation system in most cities is terrible. On the East coast, the rail and subway systems are actually pretty good, especially in New York.

But out here on the West Coast its pretty damn bad.

But why I like being an American:
- We have the most ingenius system of a Democratic-Republic system ever devised.

-Our country as a whole stands up for strong morals, and good deeds.

-I can't imagine living anywhere else.

anyway....
I've been to Europe.
It's not all that special, but without Europe, the U.S. would never have formed.

I would be interested to hear what British students are taught about the American revolution actually....

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:47 am

Lubcha132,

LOL Big grin That was a joke. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

FlyBoeing

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:58 am

Europeans are much more group oriented than Americans. They have twice the population in half the space, so you can see why. That's why they have a much more "urban" culture, they have more pervasive government, and they have public transportation.

I hate public transportation. I've traveled in Europe using public transportation and I've traveled in the U.S using good old rental cars. I can tell you that the fact that they have public transportation means that your choices are tremendously hindered. You have to operate according to somebody else's schedule and when things shift you can't change things. You can't stay in a hotel far away from the city center and just drive in.

Sometimes their governments are more pragmatic than U.S governments; that's because their governments are designed to do things whereas the U.S government is designed to prevent anything from happening. We mistrust government and those European sheep meekly accept it.

In Europe you see a lot of "social democratic" governments where the government or the union essentially decides on all the characteristics of the way life ought to be lived. This often results in rather restricted but decent lives. Europeans have a government which enforces cultural norms - something that I as an American am deathly afraid of.

Americans prefer to do their own thing. Most Americans own their own homes whereas Europeans tend to rent. American entrepreneurialism is higher than European versions and we tend to switch jobs more often.

The American lifestyle results in a higher per capita GDP which is spread out more unevenly; the European lifestyle results in a lower per capita GDP which is spread out evenly. Also the Europeans have much higher unemployment and inflation due to the cost of all their social welfare programs.

lubcha132

Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:01 am

sorry NWAirlines- my mind is not here at the moment no hard feelings  Big thumbs up

Smile/happy/getting dizzySH

PanAm747

Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:55 pm

It seems they value the arts more. I believe you can get a Geography Degree their, not so in the USA. They also know more about history, which means they know more about themselves.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

mls515

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:25 pm

PanAm, WTF? I'm going to get a degree in Geography. We have our own department and everything.  Smile

Back to topic:

In America, our beer, while perhaps not as good-tasting or quite as alcoholic as some good British or continental European beers, IS CHEAP. Cost per unit of alcohol is definately lower in the USA.

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:36 pm

Hey man I love them both! Big grin
Flpuck6, abot weed, here you can't legally smoke it, but what's worse is ciggaretts!! Every kid over the age of 11 smokes! The cops don't even care!
Not something to be proud of...
Jeez and there's no laws concerning second hand smoke!?!?!! Like they've never heard of it or something...
I mis LA  Sad

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:50 pm

I minored in Geography. Most US Universities offer Degrees in Geography.

Europe certainly focus more on quality of life, has better public transportation, better beer and are more aware of the world outside of there own.
America on the other hand has more land, better cars and that's about it.
I don't care for fast food, Pepsi, baseball, chain stores and Jerry Springer.

Any Dutch babes looking for an American man to take back home so I can be a Dutch citizen?! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Western727

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:57 pm

I'm not one really qualified to answer this. However, I would say that both have much to learn from each other. And I will leave it there.
Jack @ AUS

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:08 pm

America gave the world the 747, 707, 727, L1011 and DC-10.

Europe gave the world the TU-144, Concorde, A340, VC-10, SUD Caravelle, IL-62, TU-154 and AN-225

All magnificent aircraft!  Smokin cool

Russia IS part of Europe, for my fellow American who are un-aware  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Hepkat

Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:54 pm

Wow, for once everyone has hit the nail directly on the head. I pretty agree with everything that's been said so far. Very true. Since moving to Vienna, I've seen all these differences, but have realized we're all pretty much the same people. We just do things differently.

FLY 8

Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:59 pm

Hepkat thats correct. I stayed many times in the US and I really liked it. I can´t believe, Hepkat, that you like a city like Vienna. This city is horrible, specially in the winter time!
I live in the western part of Austria (the best), but I fly out of Vienna, so I drive about 5000 km per month between Innsbruck and Vienna!

Superfly, that with the cars was a joke? I mean the american cars in the 50´and 60´had all the luxury you can think of, but in the meantime things changed!

Here some differences:

You can drink alcohol legally at the age of 16 (but nobody cares if you start to drink earlyer)

Sart driving a car at the age of 18.

You drive some miles and suddenly you are in a different country with different language and different culture!

very good social system in Europe.

and much more differences, but wich are only very small, but on the first look very big!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

malina

Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:32 pm

Can't really say which I like better. Ultimately, I like living in Europe.
Speaking of "America", one should also make a difference between the US and Canada.
Personally, I find Canada more pleasant, maybe because it has more European influence (for example the French, however one thinks about Québec, but some places are as well more "British" than "American": Ottawa).
I also like the New England states.
However, coming back from the US or Canada, I find that Europeans could be a bit more polite.
On the other hand, maybe that is what makes the European charm?
We are a headstrong, ever critizing, sometimes downright cantankerous bunch, much more than the Americans. But I think that is just fine.
 Wink/being sarcastic

OH-LZA

Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:46 pm

But, Europeans can smoke weed legally.

It's only allowed in the Netherlands.

Zulu Alpha

flyhigh@tom

Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:46 pm

Ok one thing i find Europe is better in is "TRAINS"...i guess in US air travel is more like catching a bus in a bus station!(well much has changed after 11Sep, but then things will bounce back Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

Cheers,
Thomas

Staffan

Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:52 pm

Americans have much better sounding titles to their jobs, anything can be made to sound like a super-well-payed job Big grin

Staffan

Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:04 pm

Also, in America is probably the only nation in the world where you can win a billion dollar lawsuit against a tabacco company for smoking yourself to some terminal illness.

Smokin cool

KROC

Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:13 pm

Staffan...Care for a smoke?

Aussiemite

Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:17 pm

Europeans seem to pay more attention to lifestyle where as Americans work to live.

eg777er

Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:29 pm

In my experience Americans are focused on quantity rather than quality.

I.e. they won't pay more money for a smaller BMW - they'd rather buy a big Ford.

Look at their airlines - they are a volume business, whereas airlines in Europe are of a higher quality, but more expensive.

matt86

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:18 pm

"America on the other hand has more land, better cars and that's about it."
I don't think that the US have better cars. European Ones are still the best, and will be the best forever: Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari,and and and.

avion

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:22 pm

America has better cars?? U make me laugh!!

TOm

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:23 pm

Europeans are more interested in America than Americans are interested in Europe.

Aussiemite

B737-700

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:34 pm

Americans are only intrestred in another part of the world if there is money to be made.

flpuck6

Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:43 pm

Lefseat86, yes, I hated to be around all the cigarette smoke! I'm glad to know you haven't fallen into that!

I agree with the fact that Americans prefer quantity over quality.

I also concur with the fact that Europeans know more about history than the Americans. The fact that the Europeans actually have a lot of history behind them contributes to that. The US is only 225 years old compared to how many years for Europe?

Oh, and you know what I LOVE in Europe? I LOVE how students get discounts for being students, i.e. on movie tickets, train tickets, airplane tickets, and some museums even let us in free (if not at a big discount)! What a way to encourage kids to go to museums and to promote cultural enrichment.
Bonjour Chef!

heavymetal

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:02 pm

Public transit, no question better in Europe.

With that in mind, I think we're a little more obssessed with air quality over here in the States. Our cars legally have to burn cleaner.

Europe without question treasures history more than we do, though we're getting better at it.

Europe has always taken its' security far more seriously. Hopefully it's safe to say we will too now. For years Americans returning from Europe would scamper nervously about "police carrying machine guns" in the airports. Yeah so?! Many of our tourists acted like Germany or Italy were third world countries just cause there was a capable security force visible.

One thing I do sorta love about America is how we all bitch and whine and argue with each other almost as a hobby...but when faced with a challenge to our safety or values, our disagreements almost melt away. I live in Palm Beach County, which almost a year ago at this time was ground zero of a divisive and controversial presidential vote count, the kind of event that elsewhere in the world might lead to violence or revolution. I'm sure many of you Europeans were rolling yours eyes, rightfully so. It's still a sore spot for some, but there is no question that since September 11th everyone here has supported the President. I think any outsider who has convinced themselves that we're a badly fragmented society seperated into classes, races and income brackets really underestimates us.

sin777er

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:14 pm

Europeans: They are less friendly than Americans. Not as bossy as Americans. Better Cars. But some of them are not friendly at all! I actually know a European (Not Revealing Country) that only greets Americans and Europeans.(No offence to Euros)
Americans: More Friendly. But Bossier. Sometimes talk kind of wierd.(My opinion)

airbus380

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:43 pm

Don't Europeans only wear shorts for athletic activities only?

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:51 pm

Most american males are circumsised most europeans are not.

Which is best - is a matter of taste!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

sebolino

Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:11 pm

Americans think "America" is the greatest country, Europeans think Europe is the greatest continent.
The difference is not slight.

PanAm747

Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:21 pm

Sorry, I never realised you could get a degree in Geography.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

airportmanager

Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:40 pm

Germany has no speed limit in certain autobahns, and the best cars can be found there. Need for speed. I go for the European side.

Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:12 am

I think whats weird is the difference in liberties you can have between the two... Here you can play with crazy fire crackers that could blow a hole in your hand, but you can't own a gun, while in the U.S. you can buy an AR-15 but not bottle rockets?!?! Here the cops don't seem to ind kids smoking at 12, whereas the U.S. has very strict laws concering that subject.
I would move back to LA just cause' of the smoking problem, ciggarette smoke drives me nuts!
 Smile

flpuck6

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:30 am

As for the shorts issue:

I saw more and more French kids wearing shorts, more like the longer/baggier skater shorts. Adults would almost never dare wear shorts. Perhaps on a Sunday in the park with the kids, short, button down short-sleeve short with the sweather wrapped around the neck with top-sider shoes! Haha.

Leftseat86 again, you might agree: there are supposedly laws that require places to have a non-smoking section, but are those ever adhered to? Not at all. But you can't discredit Europe for not trying. They do try, but so many people smoke that it's going to take a little while. I think a law was recently passed that 3/4 of the packages of cigarettes must contain warnings of smoking.
Bonjour Chef!

RoyalDutch

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:30 am

Ive got it the best...Im an American, and I live in Europe!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Both Rock!

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:31 am

Mee Too! Big grin

RoyalDutch

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:37 am

In Europe, We can blow things up with huge firecrackers, ride rides at amusement parks trhat would never be leagal in the US due to safety concerns, we get to eat all sorts of cool stuff, and go to Greece for vacation. In the US you can get root beer, Doritos (in france too, I believe...correct me if Im wrong, Leftseat86)...can't get those in the CZ. But we have public transit (who needs cars?) everywhere, and its cheap....and overall it just rocks. Plus If you live here, and have family there, you get to fly a lot...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

flpuck6

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:44 am

You can get Doritos in France  Smile. The flavors are a bit different as well as the names of the flavors.

It's hard to find Milka chocolate in the US  Sad

Can't get Carte Noire coffee either.

p.s. RoyalDutch, I loved my visit to Prauge.
Bonjour Chef!

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:45 am

My brother's 12 and he won a beebee gun at the local fair?!?!???!
Yes there are Doritos here!
RoyalDutch, I love that flying bonus! Big grin

Klaus

Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:04 am

Many (not all!) Americans believe America is superior to the rest of the world by definition. And as a precaution, they don´t risk to check for reality...  Wink/being sarcastic

Many (not all!) Europeans are so busy criticizing and complaining that they are losing their initiative...

I think there´s enough sillyness on both sides to keep everybody entertained, but also enough vision and idealism to justify friendly respect for each other.  Big thumbs up

Cliffie

Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:21 am

Americans are getting better news on TV. News as they should be  Wink/being sarcastic

Superfly

Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:24 am

My comment on American cars was just my own personal preference. Most Americans don't think about wheather or not there car in American, European or Japanese. They just want to show off in front of there neighbours and co-workers.

Over-all, most of Europe has there act together in running a society.

Olympic, KLM, Iberia, Air France, SAS, and Aeroflot RULES! ! ! ! !  Big thumbs up
Bring back the Concorde

RoyalDutch

Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:08 pm

Superfly's commment has prompted me to brig up the car issue too....the best cars come from Germany
(with the exception 0f Volvo, which is also an excelent car)...Mercedes, BMW (particuarly the 740I  Love ), Audi, and Volkswagen (more withing my price range than a 740...). On the other hand, Europeans never understood the idea of the SUV, so the US really holds th upper hand there. Can't get Suburbans or Excursions over here (which is probably a good thing, because if they would crush an american car, they would definitely crush a small Fiat or Renault). But there is a special place in My heart for the full-sized SUV, and that is one thing that I miss.

Metwrench

Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:19 pm

America has the best trucks, no ifs, ands, or buts.

You can smoke weed in Europe???? Even if you are in Aviation?

God, what I wouldn't give to sit in the bed of my pickup on warm sunny day, some good reefer in one hand and cold brew in the other.