PanAm747
Topic Author

Would You Become A Politician?

Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:57 pm

Would you?

It seems like a nice job, but you would have to put up with a lot of "stuff" from time to time. But it is probably the most noble job there is.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Superfly

RE: Would You Become A Politician?

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:12 pm

A few insiders I've volunteered with at the San Francisco Democratic Party asked if I would ever consider running for office in the future.
I couldn't do it because I have high ethical standards and I don't like the fund-raising aspect of it all.
My ideology is in line with most here in San Francisco but the rest of the state and the country is still too backwards for progressive minds to enter politics.
Not to mention, I am a womanizing drinker that wants to legalize marijuana, prostitution and scrap all airline noise abatement law! Big grin
To hell with stage III noise abatement laws!

Bring back the Concorde

ly772

Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:17 am

And you have to know how to deny something really well.

Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:20 am

A bartender is the last noble profession. I would get into politics if I could become the President, but you guys will not let me!
Iain

Ikarus

Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:45 am

Politician? Me? Naaah. I've got too big a tendency to speak my (evil) mind and insult journalists if they annoy me. Besides, I'm not nearly corrupt enough, and the kissing of asses has never been my strength, so there is no way I'd ever be put up for any election unless I formed my own party....

Regards

Ikarus

Superfly

Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:59 am

Ikarus for President!
 Big thumbs up

Bring back the Concorde

Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:20 am

At one time I was interested (and had it suggested to me, back when I was still active with the Liberal Party here in Canada), but nowadays, forget it.

In spite of the "perks" we occasionally hear about, it's not a particularly desirable job. The hours are long, the amount of crud you must take from your co-workers and the public alike is unbearable, and you must be willing to not just sacrifice your own privacy, but that of your friends and family as well.

Also, under Canada's system of party discipline, your freedom of speech and thought is extremely limited. Elected representatives who vote against their party can be expelled from caucus; and the parties often give the party leader the right to overturn a candidate's nomination.

I'd much sooner be a pundit.  Smile

Rickster

Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:21 pm

I guess these species have to be born as that what they are. I cannot imagine that someone volunteers to "become" this.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

sebolino

Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:51 pm

No way !

Noble ? Are you kidding. That's the best profession for desperados. If you want to rape your country and use the money for yourself or your friends then you should become a politician.

Western727

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:04 am

Doubt it. But then again, it would be a chance to make a difference. However, the difference that I would plan to make would probably not be a popular one. I'd push for greater moral rectitude.
Jack @ AUS

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:57 am

Western727: "I'd push for greater moral rectitude."

From within politics, one of the world's most opportunistic professions?! That's like trying to promote abstinence in a whorehouse!  Smile

KROC

Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:02 am

Superfuly...You sound like Bill Clinton. Maybe I'll see you on a Democratic Presidential ticket yet...

mls515

Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:17 am

If so, only small scale. I wouldn't want to be anything more than a school board member or township trustee. If I lived in a small municipality, I'd consider city council. That's it though. And as I am a very lazy person, I highly doubt I could motivate my self to do this.

Funny story though, this is how the governor of my state came to be: He moved to a small city in Iowa to practice law with his father-in-law. He somehow ended up running for city council and winning. Then some nut went in and gunned down the mayor at a city council meeting over some stupid problem with the city so he served as interim mayor and afterward he was reluctantly elected mayor. He then moved up to to the state legislature and then he ended up running for governor.

Superfly

Fri Oct 19, 2001 4:34 am

KROC:
Thanks man! I'd love to follow Bill Clinton's footsteps!
He got to lay Monica and has a wife that may go both ways!  Smokin cool
What more could you ask for?

Seriously though, I couldn't stand the scrutiny.
Bring back the Concorde

Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:54 am

the press would have a field day uncovering my past. too much scrutiny, not that i'm ashamed of much, but not many people are going to vote for a wanton homo harlot ultra-liberal agnostic. just the way the US is.

Superfly

Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:45 am

Skychuck:
I'd vote for you!  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Western727

Mcdougald

Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:03 am

Western727: "I'd push for greater moral rectitude."

Mcdougald: From within politics, one of the world's most opportunistic professions?! That's like trying to promote abstinence in a whorehouse!

You don't know me.

Jack @ AUS

Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:17 pm

I admit, I don't. It wasn't intended as a personal comment: it was a comment on how politics in general, a profession of questionable repute, has always struck me as, shall I say, an ineffective way to promote morality.

Superfly

Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:30 pm

I'd vote for anyone that will scrap all airport noise abatement laws.
Bring back the Concorde

VapourTrails

Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:29 pm

Big $$ & big stress to go with it. Not for me at any rate.

Must have a 'thick skin' to be on the receiving end of all those cartoons & send-ups!! Laugh out loud
-VapourTrails =