cfalk

Taliban Throws Away Rules Of Warfare

Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:00 pm

The U.S. military has been showing photos of Afghan military assets like tanks or helicoptors being deliberately placed by the Taliban right next to (or within the courtyards of) hospitals, mosques, schools. The American challenge: Plink the tank without destroying the building next to it. They show pictures showing that it has been done, but with no room for error.

The taliban are also placing troops in civilian areas, quartering them by force in people's homes in many cases.

These acts are absolute violations of the rules of warfare. Everybody here should tell whoever they meet who complains that the U.S. is too trigger-happy, that the taliban are deliberately trying to endanger their civilian population. By stopping the attacks, we would send a message reinforcing what the terrorists already think of us - that we are cowards with no stomach for real war, as well as providing a nice way of protecting themselves.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

johnboy

RE: Taliban Throws Away Rules Of Warfare

Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:03 pm

In my opinion, they've proven themselves to be power-hungry, misogynist cowards already. Why should we expect anything different from them? Oh right, Allah is on their side....silly me, I keep forgetting.

airlinelover

Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:04 pm

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that we will stop at NOTHING to get them HARD.. The Taliban are COWARDS, doing stuff like that.. This just puts a bad taste in my mouth..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

tbar220

Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:55 pm

Somebody told me the following. The countries that signed the Geneva convention only have to follow these "rules" of war when dealing with other countries that also signed the Geneva convention. Since Afghanistan didn't sign the Geneva convention, the United States doesn't have to follow it in their war with Afghanistan. True or not?
NO URLS in signature

bombstar

Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:08 pm

This is extremely sick and disturbing. I hope the taleban all get killed soon. So much for avoiding civilian casualties.

Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:29 pm

Truth or propoganda?

VH-ADG

cfalk

Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:59 pm

We saw the pictures.

Charles

Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:27 pm

Cfalk,

I can't comment on the validity because I haven't seen the pics, but as someone who spends a lot of time making pictures look different I really think people need to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

Also remember that the Taliban propoganda machine is in action as is the American one. People will believe what they want to believe, and to blindly believe what the press says is really a sign of ignorance isn't it?

I've seen the press turn a protest of about 100 into a protest of "thousands" with the use of Camera angles and innuendo.

VH-ADG

Alpha 1

Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:10 pm

Sure, ADG, you find a way to try to make equivalant the Taliban and the United States. Typical of your warped way of thinking. You obviously think the US is as bad, if not worse than The Taliban, so you're opinion on this is kind of skewed to begin with.

I don't doubt for a minute that these murderers who hide behind their religion, and who have bastardized it would do such a think. They're not trying to fight for Afghanistan, they're trying to hold on to their worldly power, so they can keep Afghanistan in their warped image.

So you can doubt it, ADG. We've come to expect nothing less from an Anti-US, Taliban-sympathizer like yourself. I imagine it to be true.

Aussiemite

Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:53 pm

HAH

propaghanda is more powerful then any bomb america could drop and more powerful than any rock the arabs could throw.

get yourselves an edumecation. oops I mean education.

JetService

Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:03 pm

ADG, its quite widely documented how the Taliban treats the Afghai civilians. Since you are surfing the Net reading this, why don't you do a little research and read accounts from Afghani civilians. There are web-sites dedicated to this from credible sources. Personally, I think you are WELL aware of how they operate, you are just turn a blind eye to it because of your diproportional hatred of mighty America. After reading this research, I have found a very deep loathing for people that sypathize with them. They are digusting animals that have no regard for human-lives. How much lower can you get then killing your own people?
"Shaddap you!"

PanAm747

Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:35 am

This is nothing new, remember when Saddam placed SCUDD missle sites next to schools?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Whistler

Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:49 am

And Palestinian terrorists that hide in refugee camps...

I think the serbs also did similar things.

You can't really blame the Taliban because if they put their stuff anywhere else it will get taken out in 30 seconds. It is still barbaric though.

Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:53 am

Alpha1,

You have a very warped sense of existance .. I can't say that it really interests me in what you think at all .. there are people in this forum who can hold legitimate discussions, which I quite enjoy. You appear incapable of that.

Your simplistic, schoolyard approach to life was amusing to begin with, now it just leaves me concerned about what the USA is pumping out these days.

The world is not black & white, it's full of shades of grey. You need to go back into your box until you are able to see that.

The fact that we don't think America is not always right, and the fact that I abhor any type of killing at all doesn't make me or anyone else Pro-Taliban .. only the simpleminded would make that ASSumption.

VH-ADG

cfalk

Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:27 pm

ADG,

Unfortunately you do come off as an apologist - "We're not perfect, so we have no right to counterattack".

What specifically would YOU recommend to eliminate the terrorist threat? Please don't say "Re-examine Israel Policy" or something vague like that. Be specific.

Charles

Twotterwrench

Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:41 pm

ADG - All I can say is thank god your country isn't in charge of our foreign policy. War was declared against our nation and whether you like it or not we are going to retaliate. Just like we did when Japan bombed us in WWII. And just like then, we are going to kick the living daylights out of the murdering cowards who did this to us. It is our right and our duty to do so. Go back and worry about your little island. Okay? We don't need any more cowards here in America.

N400QX

Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:41 pm

>You have a very warped sense of existance ... You appear incapable of [holding legitimate discussion].

Hmm... I must say, you have absolutely no room to talk. I read all the rational posts on this thread and then... well, and then there is yours. I don't think Alpha 1 could have put it any better when he summed up your position on this issue. It is despicable, IMO. I believe this following quote sums it up perfectly:

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --John Stuart Mill

airmale

Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:21 pm

Your quote is no different to the brainwashing that made the Taliban Smile
.....up there with the best!

JetService

Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:45 pm

Airmale, there's really no need to try to play this game anymore. Anyone that didn't appreciate murder, destruction and war more that all of us put together like yourself, wouldn't be on the side of these barbaric animals. I find it amusing how you dance around trying to justify your hatred and jealousy of America, by claiming to be some humanity-loving soul. Its the pinnacle of irony. Its also transparent and tired. If your views are so good, why do you have to make so many BS excuses? Are you afraid you'll come off as a barbaric animal yourself? Well, that kind of goes with the terrortory.
"Shaddap you!"

airmale

Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:39 pm

I dont hate America, and I dont like the Taliban either, if in your biased mind frame people from this part of the world seem like that, then I cant help it, as for being jealous you are so sadly mistaken Smile

HSV

Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:52 pm

Airmale, you don't hate America?? Then obviously you have no idea what you are typing because ALL of your posts indicate that you hate America. Just because you never say the words "I hate America" doesn't mean you don't hate America.

747-600X

Rules For War, What's Next?

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:25 pm

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of! Rules of warfare. That's like Johnny is beating up Jimmy and Johnny says, "ooops, you hit me below the belt, that's against the rules of fighting, hah hah... 'guess I win, huh?" and walks away.

If I were leader of a nation and fighting a war I'd do whatever the hell I could to win the war. War is war. Rules for it just don't make sense. If you have to put your tanks in the mosque, more power to you. In this instance, I say:

Go Taliban!

Alpha 1

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:37 pm

If that's the best you can do in response, ADG, it just proves my point even further. I really don't care what you think of me. The fact is that you say little against the Taliban on here, and their murderous ways, yet you can always find a nasty thing to say about the US says it all. You, Airmale, Hepkat-and a few others, I suspect, whether you like it or not, come off as US-Bashers, and Taliban apologists. You and Hepkat live in free societies, and you, if you're rational, should be on the side of those who try to protect and promote freedom. Yet you give the impression you're on the side of a group of people who treat your gender like dirt. If such an attack ever happened on your soil, you could bet the US, that terrible country that you hate so much, would be at your side, to give you any and all support. Maybe your countries deserve such support, but people like you, Hepkat and Airmale don't.

And Airmale, that quote was completely different from the brainwashing the Taliban put out, because the quote talked about protecting freedom. I know, coming from a country that doesn't know or enjoy such freedoms, that's a hard concept for you to understand. But freedom is precious to us, and we're willing to fight for it, not to give in to drivel like yours, or to surrender our way of life to a bunch of bandits like Bin Laden or the Taliban.

Alpha 1

747-600X

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:43 pm

Go Taliban, 747-600X? Are you stupid, boy, or what? Look at it this way. You live in the United States, and you just started rooting for the arch-enemy of your country. Now, turn the Tables. Let's say you lived in Afghanistan, and somehow, got a message out to the rest of the world on a computer saying "Go USA!" First, you'd be arrested for having a computer, and second, you'd be shot dead like a dog for expressing such sentiments.

Now, you still want to root for the Taliban if you look at it that way?

Obviously, you're far too young to understand anything in the world-and being 17 or so doesn't make you a man. I think you better rethink your priorities in this conflict.

cfalk

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:47 pm

I take it you don't mind if we nuke the entire country, do you? Much cleaner and faster.

The rules of warfare have been developed in virtually every society to protect non-combatants. The Taliban and indeed all terrorists use the civilized world's dislike for causing innocent casualties against us.

This should be made very public, so that U.S. forces are not held responsible for such casualties.

Charles

RE: 747-600X

Sat Oct 27, 2001 12:59 am

Go Taliban!

747-600X, you are disgusting. Takea good long look at the Taliban and tell you you support them. They are the LOWEST of human beings in all cases!!!

God I just can't believe you, simply disgusting.  Sad

Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:01 am

GO USA, UNITED KINGDOM, CANADA, AND AUSTRALIA!!!!

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

747-600X

Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:02 am

Okay, you people are a little short of sight here.

The post was about the "Rules of War Fare" - a contradiction in terms, if you ask me.
So let's say we're going to unbiased and pass rules for all nations no matter what. That is what this post was complaining about right?
So you ARE in fact opposed to a fair system. After all, if you are a fair judge, then you've gotta' give points to the team that earns them even if they are revolting subhuman skum.

You guys are pathetic. You don't believe in rules of warfare any more than I do. You just want something to complain about.

Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:04 am

747-600X, I have nothing against you at all and actually respect you, but what's with this Go Taliban thing?

You can't really mean that, can you? Can you?

747-600X

Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:06 am

747-600X:

"revolting subhuman skum"

Ok, as long as that's what you think about the Taliban, I take back what I said to you, but if you actually respect the Taliban, then that's disgusting.

Sorry for my outburst.  Big grin

Alpha 1

Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:11 am

Boy, 747-600X, you are dense. Like I said, a kid your age doesn't know beans about what's being talked about here: when someone mentions "rules of war", that implies to things like treatment of prisioners of war and civilians, the use (or the prohibition of) things like chemical weapons, which have been banned by most nations, except a few.

In the conduct on the battlefield, you are out to win, and you do what you can. But when it comes to prisoners and civilians, there are certain codes of conduct that have been mostly followed for a long time now-and one of those things is not to delibertely put civilians near known combat areas, which is precisely what the Taliban are doing, without a doubt.

Now, come back in a few years when you're older, then maybe you can discuss this with some form of intelligence, and maybe you won't put something as idiotic as "Go Taliban" in your rants.

VirginA340

Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:42 am

The so called innocent people would've left along time ago. Screw everyone else in that country! We are sick and tired of taking casualties WTC, USS Cole, Khobar Towers, Enough is enough and it's time for a change!!! The Taliban is taking more civilain lives with their "laws (if you want to call them laws according to *snicker*Allah)that the US at war time. One way or another they will become an instant parking lot
"FUIMUS"

Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:00 pm

If that's the best you can do in response, ADG, it just proves my point even further.

Really? What point is that exactly? That i'm the big bad evil because I dont' like the attitude of some narrowminded people who just happen to live in the US?

What's the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter? - The side they are on.

I really don't care what you think of me. The fact is that you say little against the Taliban on here, and their murderous ways, yet you can always find a nasty thing to say about the US says it all.

So the fact that I have spoken out against their treatment of their women and children doesn't count? Incorrect A1, you merely think that because I don't like what the americans are doing I must be pro Taliban. Again, that's a very simplistic attitude. I have said on a number of occasions that the Taliban rule needs to be brought down, i've also thought this for many years, before the 11th September 2001. I base my decision on what the taliban have done to their own people. Remember, the Taliban did not orchestrate or have anything to do with the attack on America, they are merely harbouring the accused.

You, Airmale, Hepkat-and a few others, I suspect, whether you like it or not, come off as US-Bashers,

So I am told and in a way that is right. It's not a deliberate Anti-US feeling, rather than a real annoyance at the attitudes of some people who live within your country. It's Americans who turn it into American bashing. I can't even say "Australia is the best country in the world IMO" without being told i'm bashing the US .. that's just ridiculous wouldn't you think?

and Taliban apologists.

Again, that's in your mind. If you can connect what I say to Taliban sympathy then you need to have a very serious think about your paranoia level. If you were to suggest I have sympathy for the dead in Afghanistan then you would be right, just as if you were to ask me if I had sympathy for the victims of Sep 11th I would say yes. There is a line for me between country and people.

You and Hepkat live in free societies, and you, if you're rational, should be on the side of those who try to protect and promote freedom.

Again you seem to think i'm Pro Taliban. I'm not, I coudn't support any regime that removes the rights of their woman and kills their own people. I've never suggested that i'm pro Taliban. It's that simplistic, schoolyard "If you are not with us you are against us" attitude that labels me that.

Yet you give the impression you're on the side of a group of people who treat your gender like dirt. If such an attack ever happened on your soil, you could bet the US, that terrible country that you hate so much, would be at your side, to give you any and all support.

Of course you would. We have OTHR.

In reality however, I note that America wasn't there to help us last time we were in need (WW2) until an attack was launched on your country, by that time nearly a whole generation of Australian men lay dead on the battlegrounds.

Anyway, I don't hate America per se. In reality, it's the foreign policy and the attitude of some vocal hicks that tick me off. I've got lots of American friends, just not in here  Laugh out loud

Maybe your countries deserve such support, but people like you, Hepkat and Airmale don't.

Again, you fall to the simplistic insults. If you fell over in the street in front of me I would stop and help you up. If an Arab fell over in the street in front of me I would do the same.

And Airmale, that quote was completely different from the brainwashing the Taliban put out, because the quote talked about protecting freedom.

Quite different indeed, because it came from an American. By the way, I don't happen to believe in peace at all cost, i've done my stint in the Australian Armed Forces. But I do believe in really looking into the decisions that are made and not flying off for revenge.

The speed at which some of the americans in this newsgroup can jump to conclusions should be an indication of why the rest of the world is concerned about the actions that America takes.

VH-ADG

Aussiemite

When Have We Ever Had Rules

Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:40 pm

well? when were war rules ever obeyed by?

Iraq: NO
Vietnam: NO
Korea: NO
WW2: NO
WW1: NO
Bore war: NO

Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:29 am

ADG...let's get some history straight. While its true that the U.S. did not openly repluse Japanese aggression prior to 1941, the U.S. provided Australia (and other Pacific nations) valuable intelligence, raw goods, oil and monetary and diplomatic support.

Its also worth noting ADG, that many Americans were fighting (and dying) against Axis warring, in Europe, China and the Pacific long before December 7, 1941.

Your "Damned if We Do", "Damned if We Don't" take on America is completely silly. In your eyes, we can do no right.

Whistler

Sun Oct 28, 2001 6:28 am

ADG, how can you bash the US for getting in everybodies business now when you also bash the US for being isolationalists during the beginning of WW2?!?!

Sun Oct 28, 2001 6:46 am

He did not "Bash" the U.S., merely stated his opinion as to what was true. The U.S. were not fully supportive of AUS until Dec. 7. 41'. What the USA gave to AUS before that date was exactly what the civilised nations around the world are giving the U.S. now, money, intlligence and supplies...

Sun Oct 28, 2001 7:58 am

ADG, how can you bash the US for getting in everybodies business now when you also bash the US for being isolationalists during the beginning of WW2?!?!

Because I can tell the difference which you clearly can't. I am against US foreign policy that helps Isreal destroy Palestine. I'm against US foreign policy that arms radical groups against Americas perceived "enemy". I'm against the covert action of the CIA and i'm against the loud mouth bravado of simple minded people who have managed to convince themselves that the Taliban bombed the WTC which they DID NOT.

The WW2 issue is an example against their "you are for us or against us stand", which in the light of their neutrality (and profiteering) during the war seems a little like hypocrisy. If they felt they had reasons to stay neutral during the atrocities committed during WW2, why do they force everyone to take sides now? It's like being back in the schoolyard!!!

VH-ADG

Bove

Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:06 am

Hey ADG....now all that's missing is a full-length beard and a one-way ticket to Afghanistan. Why not go join your peace-loving brethren in a cave in a jihad against those evil western terrorists?

Alpha 1

Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:44 am

Ok, let's look at ADG's latest example of post-modern Marxist thinking:

I am against US foreign policy that helps Isreal destroy Palestine.

There hasn't been a Palestine since 1948. It was not destroyed by US foregin policy. And the Palestinians are helping destroy themselves by continuing to promote attacks against Israel. (Amazing, in the case of Israel and 911, you always get things backwards)

I'm against US foreign policy that arms radical groups against Americas perceived "enemy".

Oh, you mean "groups" like Israel? Or those who may be fighting the Taliban, or Saddam Hussein? I think you have the term "radical" confused here, ADG.

I'm against the covert action of the CIA and i'm against the loud mouth bravado of simple minded people who have managed to convince themselves that the Taliban bombed the WTC which they DID NOT.

ADG, you live in a simple-minded world, where spies and covert actions aren't needed. But every country-including Australia, I might add, uses covert spying to gain intelligence and protect it's interests. Maybe not on the level that countries like the US, Russia, China, Britian and France do, but they do it, nevertherless. Such covert action is necessary in a world rife with strife, simply to help protect oneselves. I would submit to you that if the CIA had had less domestic restraints put on it before 9-11 that maybe, just maybe, 6000 people might be alive today. But again, you live in a world far removed from reality, so I see where you stand on that point.

As for the Taliban, I think you are the one confused here. We all know that Bin Laden is not part of the Taliban; most people in the world know that. But what we do know is that The Taliban protect, support and help to fund his murderous ways. They were given ample warning to turn over this monster, whom you barely ever condemn, or else they would face severe consequences. They refused. They are facing such consequences now.

The WW2 issue is an example against their "you are for us or against us stand", which in the light of their neutrality (and profiteering) during the war seems a little like hypocrisy.

You don't know much about WW II. The US attempted for more than 2 years to get Japan to agree to a peaceful settlement of their differences. But Japan, and it's expansionists military, which controlled the goverment, didn't want peace. It wanted war so it could conquer. I don't see how this is a "you are for us or against us stand", as you say. In that conflict, that's the way it was-you were either for the forces of evil-Germany, Japan and Italy, or you were on the side of freedom. Very few countries sat on the fence for that one. It's the same today-you either support the fight against these thugs, or you don't. If you're a fence-sitter, then you could get run over from either direction.

And in that last sentence, I finally figured you out. You're a fence-sitter. You don't want to HAVE to take a stand on anything. You'd rather see others fight and die and suffer so you can keep your free way of life, without having to take a moral stand against these monsters!! That's it. That makes you one thing-a coward.

Whistler

Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:55 am

ADG,

On behalf of all the users at airliners.net I am pleased to award you:

747-600X

Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:17 pm

You guys impress me with your own stupidity. No offense to anyone in particular, but when you come at me with "you have no idea what you're talking about" and then say exactly what I said and cite it as a description of the thing-being-talked-about, you come off as a little dense.

Once again, when you can't think of anything better, you insult me on account of age. Nice try, but it doesn't work:

I know darn good'n'well what's meant by rules of warfare and my argument stands: That's an oxymoron, a contradiction. My other comment also stands: If I was at war I would do what I could do to ensure my winning, no rules - whether they involve prisoners, etc., or not - taken into consideration.

And so, in terms of the strategic what-have of war, it would be genuinely stupid of the US to have any losses at all on account of humanitarian-based rules of warfare while the Taliban had the sense to say,
"Gee, this is war, let's throw the rules out and FIGHT alfrigginready!" while we sat there and said "nope, can't put a tank in the mosque 'cause it's against the rules of warfare" and then Oops! Because we didn't have that tank, someone on our side dies...

Awright, you've gotta' have something else to object to by now so go ahead, and make sure you put "747-600X" in the Topic line so I know who's posts not to read...

Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:28 pm

Hey Whistler,

You'd have more credibility if you would address the facts rather than show us all that you know how to put pics into posts ... (my 6yo can do that). Is that a pic of you by the way?

Alpha1.

It was not destroyed by US foregin policy. And the Palestinians are helping destroy themselves by continuing to promote attacks against Israel.

and yet, if someone came along and gave your country to someone else i'm sure you would be the first to fight... and continue fighting wouldn't you? If it were my country I would, and would continue to do so until I couldn't fight any more.

Oh, you mean "groups" like Israel? Or those who may be fighting the Taliban, or Saddam Hussein? I think you have the term "radical" confused here, ADG.

No actually, I meant the Taliban but I think you missed the point that they were armed & trained by the CIA. Feel free to include Isreal in that also ....

Maybe not on the level that countries like the US, Russia, China, Britian and France do, but they do it, nevertherless.

Sure .. but it increases with the paranoia level. Can't say i'm that fussed about spying, as I believe honesty is one thing we should all practice so I have nothing to hide and therefore do not need to be spied upon.

Such covert action is necessary in a world rife with strife, simply to help protect oneselves.

I do agree, but do wonder if it might be wise to (concurrently) look at the reasons why the world is in strife. It is one thing to take action after the fact, and quite another to try and move towards a permanent solution to problems and that involves looking at their cause as well as their effect.

I would submit to you that if the CIA had had less domestic restraints put on it before 9-11 that maybe, just maybe, 6000 people might be alive today.

Actually, to get serious for a minute, that is an issue that does surprise me. Given the height of paranoia in the USA and the measures taken by the government to watch the rest of the world, I was very surprised to see the attacks happen.

But again, you live in a world far removed from reality, so I see where you stand on that point.

Laugh out loud because you are simplistic and you work in a world of black & white without the ability to see shades of grey. To understand why bad things occur you need to look at *all* the aspects not the simple finger pointing at everyone but yourselves.

As for the Taliban, I think you are the one confused here.

Hardly.

We all know that Bin Laden is not part of the Taliban;

Do we? Then you are not reading the rantings of some of your countrymen.

most people in the world know that. But what we do know is that The Taliban protect, support and help to fund his murderous ways.

Hmmm... they protect, support and fund him? Now I think there is an issue there that either you or I don't understand so in order to ensure that I understand you, perhaps you might like to point out to me how they do that other than offering him a country to live in. It was my understanding that HE protected, supported and funded the Taliban which is why, in addition to requiring proof of his guilt, they would be unlikely to hand him over.

They were given ample warning to turn over this monster, whom you barely ever condemn, or else they would face severe consequences.

Is that what this issue is? You are upset because I don't condemn him enough? I should only have to say it once and it should become an accepted fact that I condemn ANYONE who takes deliberate action to take away the life of another. Certainly what was done to the WTC (etc) is not something I would ever condone or applaud. Does that make you happy?

They refused.

Yes, and whilst I am unsure whether I actually believe the excuses they used, I do believe they were fully within their rights to demand to see proof of his guilt. As i've said before and it has been ignored on every occasion, if a country were to approach the USA for extradition of an alleged criminal, the USA DEMANDS proof of their guilt, a court hearing needs to occur. They asked for no less than what your civilised country demands by law. They were never given that proof.

They are facing such consequences now.

Unfortunately though, like most military action, those who suffer aren't the ones you are after. When I say that, I am not saying that the action should not occur, rather that I feel sympathy for the innocents that have to lose their lives because a situation cannot be resolved diplomatically. The simplistic amongst us would say that I then support the Taliban, but that's just idiocy.

Most people here just dont' get it. You can feel sympathy for the innocents in Afghanistan and America at the same time. Well, I can anyway.

I don't see how this is a "you are for us or against us stand", as you say.

Geez, do you really need it spelt out. In the war, thousands were being killed, in battle and in other more heinous ways. The Americans sat back and took the diplomatic stance until the Japanese attacked them. During *that* war, America was neither for or against either side .. so now, when it's focussed at America, other countries are not allowed to take the neutral stance (ie, it's OK for America but not for the rest of the world). That's what I was trying to say.

Very few countries sat on the fence for that one.

That was my point. Switzerland and AMERICA (until they were attacked).

It's the same today-you either support the fight against these thugs, or you don't.

But why can't a country choose neutrality?

If you're a fence-sitter, then you could get run over from either direction.

If a country choose to sit on the fence, then America as a country who has done just that in the past, should respect that. That was my point.

And in that last sentence, I finally figured you out. You're a fence-sitter. You don't want to HAVE to take a stand on anything.

I have taken a stand on this, you just dont' get it. I'm not a fence sitter. I support the decisions made by my government, however that does not mean that I have to relish the loss of life in any country. I can UNDERSTAND the requirement to take action whilst also believeing that it isn't the best solution, it is merely the only suitable solution given the personality types of both sides.

You'd rather see others fight and die and suffer so you can keep your free way of life, without having to take a moral stand against these monsters!! That's it. That makes you one thing-a coward.

hahahahaha, I do so love these simplistic comments ....

but by the way .... how many years did *you* spend in the military? Offering to fight and die and suffer so that I could keep my free way of life?

I understand the concepts I have tried to protray may be beyond you, but give it a try anyway eh? Perhaps if you tried to see the points of view taken by others and tried to extend yourself into the 'grey area' of understanding we might get on more.

VH-ADG

HSV

Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:47 pm

They were never given that proof.

Isn't Osama appearing on TV admitting that he was responsible enough proof? Maybe it was after the US began bombing Afghanistan but have the Taliban handed him over now? Just because Osama claimed responsibility after the bombings on Afghanistan began it does not make him any less guilty.

...because a situation cannot be resolved diplomatically
Did Osama give George Bush a call before 9-11 to resolve the situation diplomatically? Osama, as well as the Taliban, do not know the meaning of the word dipomacy. The Taliban only asked for proof that Osama was guilty when they realised that it would make it appear that they wanted to resolve the situation diplomatically. But they never had any intention of handing over Osama. They even claimed that they had lost Osama at first. The Taliban are liars and you are naive to believe that the a solution could be reached with the Taliban through diplomacy.

Dasa

Sun Oct 28, 2001 4:25 pm

Alpha 1, it is okay if you state your opinion, but do you have to belittle anyone younger than you, with comments like "Your only 17..." etc etc.? Also, you do seem to take any criticism against America as an all out threat. Since when are we not allowed to constructively criticise someone? Thanks to all that kept this forum a civilized place, but unfortunately, people like Alpha 1 had to ruin it.

Twotterwrench

Sun Oct 28, 2001 4:28 pm

Shut up Dasa. Kids like you are ruining it for everyone.

airmale

Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:10 pm

Dasa-They'll try to use these "Psyche Out" methods to try and make you feel stupid so you stay shut and dont voice your opinion, but dont give into them Smile

Alpha 1

Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:42 pm

Yeah, that's right, Airmale-let them keep posting their anti-American idiocy, which you're constantly in the forefront of. Suits me just fine. I'm not here to change their minds, Airmale, but I will challenge what I perceive is their idiotic anti-Americanism whenever I feel like it as well. And yes, Dasa, I do think a 17 year old doesn't know beans about much of on these subjects, so I do think that's relative. So there!!  Big grin