New BCS Rankings Out! Michigan 4th!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:05 am

If Miami loses, and Oklahoma loses to Nebraska in the Big 12 championship, than it will be Nebraska-Michigan Rose bowl. Now I dont think Michigan is a great team, but, we get it done. Thats what matter. We still need to win out, and thats going to be tough also.

I am gonna be the biggest Husker fan in the world, for 1 day at least.

The BCS rankings.....

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/bcs/rankings_full/index.html

mls515

RE: New BCS Rankings Out! Michigan 4th!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:14 am

I don't see how. They just had to come from behind to beat an un-ranked team last weekend. My team.....  Crying

Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:19 am

Well, they came from behind in 97 also. They are off of a bye week. Their schedule is tough. The Big Ten is tough. Any teamon any given day can beat you. I am worried about Michigan St. and Wisconsin. Those will be tough.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:39 am

Boeing757fan:

I graduated from Michigan State, and my wife from Michigan. So I have some history with these schools. Michigan is currently leading a very weak "Large Eleven" conference. Anyone can beat anyone this year. Don't look past this weekend in East Lansing. No way UM will make it to the Rose Bowl this year.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

heavymetal

Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:54 am

I dunno stretch...the Wolverines get this deep into the season with only 1 loss and they can start tasting it. A little extra fire is there, the kind of fire that causes heartburn in East Lansing .  Wink/being sarcastic

What makes me nervous is that damned Jim Tressel...he's remaking Ohio State into less flash and more fundamentals.......unnervingly Woody-esque. Plus Tressel is from Ohio and understands the thickness of the air on that one thunderous day a year. Cooper never ever got it, as much as he said he did.

The (preferably painful and spectacular)death of bin Laden, the obliteration of the Taliban and the victory of Michigan over Ohio State this year. The three things any good Meeechigan fan should ask for in these perilous days.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:00 am

Perhaps I was not clear in my earlier message: I friggin hate "Meeechigan" and all of their non-graduate fans. And by the way, the yellow and blue only had a shared football title in 1997. I wish Amaker luck with the basketball program, but they will not become the elite program that Izzo has built. So there!  Smile
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:03 am

Hey Heavymetal.. Did you see Tyrell Dortch of MSU break his leg this past weekend? That was nasty. His leg was just haning there...

Also heavymetal. I need your help. I got this pesky Michigan State graduate at my door. Any idea of how to get rid of his ass?

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:10 am

Oh yea... Look at this...

Michigan #4 BCS

Michigan (6-1)
Last week: No. 7
(at Michigan State, Minnesota, at Wisconsin, Ohio State)

Stop looking at this in disbelief. Yes, it says Michigan. Thanks to playing the third toughest schedule in the country -- their rankings, not ours -- the Wolverines are lurking in the shadows. A loss here or there and there possibly could be a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:10 am

Boeing757fan: Are you a graduate of University of Michigan? That's what I thought! Go Spartans!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:12 am

Screw the Michigan St. My sister graduated from there, and I havent forgave her since.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:15 am

Oh yea, and where is Michigan State in the rankings... You cant see that far down the pipe, can you?

You can try looking up there, you might find it.....

GO BLUE!

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:16 am

Aha! You did NOT graduate, or even attend UM. You are another of the legion of Michigan fans who simply like to back a winner. Never a downside in that, eh? Are you a Yankees fan too? And Duke basketball. Ah well, you are probably still a decent guy.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:17 am

I take that back. You are not a decent guy. And mine's bigger. BTW, what do you call a pretty girl in Ann Arbor? A visitor!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:20 am

I have always been a Michigan fan.. I hate the Yankees, and Duke sucks.

You were close.

I dont got to prove jack to you anyhow.

heavymetal

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:36 am

Pay him for the Pizza....

Stretch, you dissed yourself! We like backing Michigan just so we can back a winner!!!!!!!!???????

You're right! Thats why we aren't Spartan fans!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the real props go to Joe Pa' this week! Good guys do finish first.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:50 am

All right you guys . . . I would share a beer and aviation talk with either of you . . . but my point about Michigan fans is that a years of success breds "bandwagon" type fans who are only attracted due to the ease of following a winning team. You have to live and die with a team to be a true fan. I am also a Tiger and Lions fan. Ditto the Red Wings. Talk about feast or famine!

KROC

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:51 am

The BCS is bullshit. I don't care how hard or soft a schedule is. College Powerhouse teams are notorious for playing soft oppenents. See Notre Dame in the 80's, and any Florida team in the 90's, but there is NOFUCKINGWAY a team should still be number 2 in the BCS when they just FUCKING LOST!!!!!!!!!!! Michigan does have a tough schedule. Its not as tough at Boeing757fan would lead us to believe, only because the Big 10 plus one has several good teams, but is lacking great teams. Miami should not be punished that in there conference is Rutgers, Temple, ect. I need a hot of everclear to get this bitter taste out of my mouth.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:52 am

Well... I dont really follow baseball at all. I want to see the Yanks lose though. Lions, I have faith. Red Wings of course... Don t forget the Packers. In Traverse City, were just a 50 mile boat ride away from Green Bay.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:53 am

Its fact that michigan has one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:56 am

Boeing 757fan:

If I had known you were from Traverse City, I would never have insulted you. Forgive me, brother. Remember Stroh's beer? (I grew up in the flat lands of SE Michigan).

KROC

Tue Oct 30, 2001 6:00 am

Stretch. I was a big Red Wings fan for awhile, and once they won the Stanley Cup, there fan base increased like 100 fold! Since then, I haven't really followed them. I hate bandwagon jumpers. I like the Miami Hurricanes, but I was intrested in Hurricanes as a little kid, so I liked hte team. I just got lucky there!

heavymetal

Tue Oct 30, 2001 6:27 am

Stetch...

Why I am a Michigan fan even though I didn't go there..

1. The school I DID go to was an eccentric collection of Northeast liberals and drug freaks. The few of us into football WERE the school football team...playing touch football every Sunday afternoon in the fall out on the Esplanade next to the Charles River in Boston. Michigan, where a lot of my close friends ended up, was my traditional big school sports release....many a time I would skip classes on Friday, leave Boston about 6 in the morning and end up in Ann Arbor 13 hours later carsick and cross-eyed...and just in time to be handed my first beer as we sauntered off on an all night jaunt through dorm parties and bars...I look back at my time in Ann Arbor (which amounted to maybe 30 hours at a time twice a year) with wonderful memories.

2. Stupid reason but I always dug U of M colors better.

3. Best reason: I'm in broadcasting now and growing up in Traverse City I thought Bob Ufer was the greatest thing in the world. Any Michigan fan, whether they went there or not, who missed the cries of AAAmaaazin Blue! and the damned horn blasts for touchdowns...well you missed somethin thats for sure.

USAirways737

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:45 am

Go Nebraska! Am I smelling another National Championship? Solich and Co. have got it going on. If any one has ever been to Memorial Stadium then you'll know why we win, the fans are awesome. 250+ consecutive sellouts shows the support the team has from the almost 80,000 people that go to each game every saturday. God that felt good shoving Oklahoma's ego right up their ass.

KROC

Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:07 am

Speaking of ego's USAirways737. Its all good though, because I like Nebraska too. You can't go wrong with a name like "Cornhuskers"!  Big thumbs up

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:48 am

The best announcer loved Michigan games. Keith Jackson. Nebraska- Michigan would be great! Settle old scores from 1997!!!!!!

KROC

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:07 am

Miami vs. Nebraska would be better. Alot more history there as well.

RE: For KROC....

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:39 am

Q.> Why are hurricanes named after men?
A.> Because they're noisy, make a huge mess, and if you
look into their eyes there's nothing there.

What do they call the most severe hurricane?
a. Category 5
b. Red Alert
c. Costly
d. HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
e. If its a Miami Hurricane, a sneeze

A hurricane is dangerous if...

a. you get in it's way
b. it's had a REALLY bad day
c. you try to stop it to ask directions
d. you do not yield right of way
e. If its a Miami Hurricane, its not dangerous at all.

What should you NOT do if a hurricane is coming?

a. Begin those remodeling plans you've been putting off
b. Put the cat or dog out (unless on a LONG leash)
c. Cancel your homeowner's insurance
d. Go on a picnic, to the beach
e. You can do all of the above, if its a Miami Hurricane

Big thumbs up

KROC

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:52 am

Hey, there are female Hurrican names as well!  Big grin And thats cool. Poke your fun, but Miami is still NUMBER 1 in both polls, and still ahead of Michigan in the BCS.

RE: Dumb Nebraska Laws

Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:14 pm

Dumb Nebraska Laws
If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.
It is illegal to go whale fishing.
It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.
It is illegal for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state license.
It is illegal to throw a football at someones Tim Crotch.
It is illegal to pass a football during a football game, unless the QB has proper credentials stating he is good enough to throw a football.

RE: Dumb Nebraska Laws

Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:45 pm

Dumb Nebraska Laws
If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.
It is illegal to go whale fishing.
It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.
It is illegal for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state license.
It is illegal to throw a football at someones Eric Crotch.
It is illegal to pass a football during a football game, unless the QB has proper credentials stating he is good enough to throw a football

mls515

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:41 pm

"Ann Arbor is a Whore!"

They were selling those T-shirts last weekend.

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:31 pm

STANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORDSTANFORD

KROC

Wed Oct 31, 2001 7:17 pm

Thats funny. Nebraska is number 2 in the polls and number 1 in the BCS. Hmmm, both ahead of Michigan..... You would be better off talking smack about ohhh Iowa, cause at least Michigan can beat them.....barely.

KROC

Wed Oct 31, 2001 9:53 pm

I want an "Ann Arbor is a Whore!" T-Shirt!

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:21 am

Thats funny. Nebraska is number 2 in the polls and number 1 in the BCS. Hmmm, both ahead of Michigan..... You would be better off talking smack about ohhh Iowa, cause at least Michigan can beat them.....barely.

We did barely beat Iowa... We just came off a bye week.

Very similar outcome and game scenario that happend in 1997 @ IOWA

It doesnt matter. Oklahoma is ahead of Michigan also, and, they BAREY beat K- State! 38-37! If K State would have won that game, they would be un defeated right now, I guarantee it. You watch. maiznblu is comin thru!

Check this out (for all that didnt see)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&id=1269911&rate=300&format=real

KROC

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:40 am

I will sya Michigan is a tough team this year. They rebounded nicely after looking like crap in there season opening loss. They will be a factor in the National Championship picture. Either way, Nebraska or Miami is taking it home.

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:52 am

Uh em....

They lost to washington 23-18... It was the 2ND game of the year. It was a fluke.

KROC

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:55 am

Thats right, and it was not a fluke. A bumbling Washington team outplayed Michigan.

Thu Nov 01, 2001 6:09 am

The defense capitalized on STUPID mistakes by Michigans bumbling offense. Washington isnt as good as Michigan. Here are the Huskies schedule...

Sat, Sep 8 Michigan W 23-18
Sat, Sep 15 at Miami Fla ppd
Sat, Sep 22 Idaho W 53-3
Sat, Sep 29 at California W 31-28
Sat, Oct 6 USC W 27-24
Sat, Oct 13 at UCLA L 13-35
Sat, Oct 20 Arizona W 31-28
Sat, Oct 27 at Arizona St. W 33-31
Sat, Nov 3 Stanford 3:30pm
Sat, Nov 10 at Oregon St. 4:00pm
Sat, Nov 17 Washington St. 3:30pm
Sat, Nov 24 at Miami Fla 1:00pm

I am not making excuses. The Wolverines played crappy that day. But, they are much better now than they were, and the pollsters and everyone else sees that. Musburger said... "Remember a few weeks ago I said Michigan was very much alive to goto the BCS championship game, everyone laughed... Funny thing is, their not laughing anymore".

Its reality. Michigan is sneaking up. A couple upsets, and if we win out, were there.

KROC

Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:10 am

Boeing757fan. Michigan is not "sneaking" up on anyone. Everyone is aware there are 4 in the BCS and like 6 in the polls. But until Michigan lays it open, they will be just seen as a possible threat. They struggled with Washington, and overrated team. Barely sneaked by a signifacantly weaker Iowa. I personally don't think the Michigan Offense has what it takes to get the National Title this year.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:20 am

Dumb Michigan laws...

Neon beer signs are unlawful to display in a bar. That's the God's Honest truth....aside from being patently un-Constitutional, there's simply no rationale to it. It had to have been some looney Bible thumping representative from one of the Godly counties in the state's oppresively religious southwest that came up with it as a way to put one over on the demon drink.

Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:29 am

KROC... Dont take these too seriously. I just messing with ya..

Rate this one..I came up with this one, ALL BY MY LONESOME. (The others, I added too, obviously)

To donate to all the homeless Miami and Oklahoma fans. After they bet they house they going to the Rose Bowl, they wont have anywhere to live, I would ask all of you other great college fans, to help some people out, donate some of your money. Before you goto your BCS game, I urge all of you to donate some money to this fund...

Send to

Homeless Canes and Sooners Fans
PO BOX #4
Wahhhhh City, Florida
29290-1234

Thanky you for your support.

KROC

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:00 am

Boeing757, I know its all good. Just good natured ribbing. Makes life fun. Now, you don't want me to start thinking up Michigan-isms now do you?

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:03 am

Hey, go4it!

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:39 pm

Stanford is underranked..... They have the TOUGHEST schedule in the entire ranking, If you eliminated the AP and Espn rankings (why so high?) then Stanford would be in 2nd place.

KROC

Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:32 pm

Who has Stanford played??? Besides an overranked UCLA team???

RE:Geez Kroc.

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:51 am

I dont understand your concept. Every team that gets beat is 'overated' to you. "Oklahoma, wow, they are overated! The got beat 20-10! They are still ahead of Miami!"

UCLA is a good team. Oregon was a good team, suspect defense though. Stanford is a strong team. When Miami gets beat, thats different. They will be considered overated because they havent played anybody.

Dont even say Michigan hasnt played anyone either. The Big 10 is a lot stronger than the Big East. Miami's real test comes after this Temple game this week. They play B.C. Syracuse, VA Tech, and Washington. If Washington beats Miami, that helps Michigan out.

KROC

Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:26 am

Oklahoma is the real thing. They are a strong team. UCLA is/was overrated because they have a weak defense. All they did was outscore oppenents. They have the offense, but lack the big D needed to be a strong contender. Miami is think is not overrated, only because they returned several players from last years 11 and 1 team. Another reason wny OK is real too. UCLA was weak last year. As for Michigan, who have they played that is so tough? Washington, solid team. Miami of Ohio, Western Michigan, Iowa, Illinois and the coming game with Penn State...those are all weak teams. Toss in Minnesota as a weak team as well. Perdue was a decent team when they played, and Michigan State is having a decent year at 4-2, so I feel that will be a tough game. Wisconson is not as good as in years past, and have a losing record. UofM willtake them. Ohio St. is always a tough game, but with 109,000 plus fans at home, there is noway UofM will lose. Sorry, but from analysis, Blue's schedule is not that impressive. Neither is Miami's, but I can admit that. Also, the true tests will be in the next 4 games. It will be intresting to see how it all plays out.

KROC

Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:28 am

Before you flame me, let me add a correction. Illinois was a tough game, as they are having a good year. I confusedthem with Indiana. My bad.

Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:47 am

I am not going to flame you. But, we already beat Penn St.