Whats Your Opinion Of Jehovahs & Mormons

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:49 am

Why they got to come to your door all the time?

I hate it when I got to tell themt o get lost.

KROC

RE: Whats Your Opinion Of Jehovahs & Mormons

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:51 am

I respect there beliefs, but I feel they have no right to come to my door, and try and push there beliefs on me. When you ask them to leave, and they keep pushing it, they make me wanna start handing out ass whippings in the name of my own religion.

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:52 am

LOL @ KROC.

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:54 am

They are on missions, I know with the mormans you can ask them to do stuff for you. I generally know them, or atleast have friends we know so I normally invite them in for a drink (orange juice) and just chill. They are actually really nice!
Iain

Superfly

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:12 am

The Jehovah’s Witness I have come in contact with can be very judgmental. They usually don't want o have anything to do with non-Jehovah’s. Even on a friendship level. Some women I have met that were Jehovah’s wanted to convert me and said I would go to hell if I didn't. Well I chose the hell route instead. Big grin
I equate Jehovah’s Witness to a MLM (Pyramid Scheme). They are so fanatical about it that they can't even have a relationship (business/friendship/partner, etc.) unless they are Jehovah’s Witness too. It's almost impossible to be around these people unless they are pulling out some Watchtower literature or talking about doomsday! I am un-easy with any group of people that are so closed-knit and cast such harsh criticism of people of different beliefs.

As for the Mormons they can be nice people on the surface, but once you start having deep conversations about just about anything, the craziness comes out. I have friends who come from Mormon families and have rebelled against that church. Those are the ones I can deal with. I don't believe what the Mormons believe and they have a very ugly history. They are a changing church but that doesn't discount some of there strange beliefs.
I know a few non-mormons that lived in Utah and life was very hard for them there.
Bring back the Concorde

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:18 am

Is it true Mormons used to or still believe that if you sin, you come back as a black person?

KROC

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:20 am

Are you serious? I never heard that before.

yyz717

Hey guys,
have some fun with the JW when they show up at your door, in one of the following ways:
1. Ask them why they don't think denying blood transfusions is murder. (They'll leave your doorstep very quickly -- they're taught not to engage in discussions).
2. Ask them about the documentaries you've seen on TV about ex-members being shunned. (Same response)
3. Ask them if they are a cult (alot of their practices suggest that they are).
4. Ask them why they don't allow assocaitions with other religions.
5. Offer to sell them some religious writings from YOUR church (whether you have any or not).

Any of the above will send them hightailing it away faster than you can say "cult" !!

Neil/Toronto
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Superfly

Boeing757fan

In some parts of Utah, they still do.
Bring back the Concorde

RE: Boeing757fan

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:22 am

See, I heard that from someone from Nevada I was int he navy with. I didnt believe it either till I heard it some place else. No wonder BYU doesnt have hardly any blacks on the football team.

Superfly

Boeing757fan

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:24 am

Blacks weren't even allowed in the Mormon Church until 1978.
Bring back the Concorde

KROC

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:25 am

Nice t see the Mormons are progressive...  Yeah sure

Dasa

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:49 am

hahahah

OzarkD9S

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:18 pm

To each their own, I don't want it shoved down my throat.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

yka

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:25 pm

I've only had a couple jehovas visit me here in Kamloops in the last 8 years, offering the usual books and crap. I told them to go away. They're a bigger problem in Europe, and the only way to deal with them is with violence as they do not want to get out of your face.

watewate

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:35 pm

JW is a messed up religion. I know of a family where the boy in the family was told explicitly NOT to associate with kids of other religions. The other kid in the family, a girl, distanced herself from the 'cult' and is leading a 'normal' life.

Mormons promote family, which is nice, but I disagree with their beliefs. I recall coming across an article a few months ago that found that Mormon sect will be the largest in US in a few decades if it maintains its current growth rate.

Superfly

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:53 pm

Most famous Jehovas Witness
LaToya Jackson

Most famous Mormon
Donny Osmond

Need I say more? Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:10 pm

Dont forget Steven Young....

He is a Mormon

Superfly

Boeing757fan

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:15 pm

Are you serious?!?!

Now I don't like the 49ers!  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

usflyer msp

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:19 pm

the JW and LDS religions make no sense, so they really annoy me and I usually tell them to go away.

BTW, Prince is a JW too

Superfly

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:21 pm

Prince is a JW!  Wow!

The world must be coming to an end!
Bring back the Concorde

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:24 pm

Is Derek Jeter a Mormon?

Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:37 pm

Jeter a Mormon please.

IHadAPheo

Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:21 pm

OK picture this it's 8:30 am and after another wonderful 16 hour shift in the ER (3P-7A) and being asleep for about 30min what do I hear to awaken me from my sleep but ring ring, knock knock progressing to pound pound bang bang etc. So to the door I stumble in a daze to find at the door ..... nothing. I was just about ready to head back inside when what to I hear from next door but the whole ring ring knock knock deal all over again this time I can see the cause of the noise some goofball in a suit (at 8:30 am mind you), with no response from my pals next door up the street the suit heads.

This for some reason puts me over the edge and off to my trusty Windstar van I go to buzz up the street to tell the suited one off. I pull up nest to him and what do I find but a big sh*t eatn' smile and a copy of the Watchtower being presented to me. Well not only do I not take the "fishwrap" but I let loose a rant I didn't know I had in me, felt quite good and better yet no JW's in almost a year.

Sorry to babble on but ya should have seen Mr. Suit after my rant. Now that I think about it it was quite enjoyable to vent after another "Mercy Monday"
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

DeltaRNOmd-80

Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:29 pm

Steve Young's great great great grandfather was Brigham Young. Young played college ball at BYU.

My town in Northern Nevada is infested with Mormons. They are nice people and yes they have huge families (Like half the town here has the last name Smith, Hendrix, Whitaker, Sorensen). The west has lots of Mormons. They are better than Jehovahs Witness, Jehovahs Witness are downright scary, there is one girl in my school, her sister got in a car wreck and the parents refused a blood transfusion and so she died. I notice there are a lot of black people that are Jehovahs Witness, and there are a lot of people from the South Pacific islands and Polynesia that are Mormons, also lots of northern Euro (Danish, to be specific) are Mormons, why is this?

Western727

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:28 pm

As for the Mormons they can be nice people on the surface, but once you start having deep conversations about just about anything, the craziness comes out.

Superfly, you are sooo far away from my respected users list...

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or "Mormon" if you will, though that is not an official name of the church.

It appears that there have been some erroneous things said about "Mormons" in this thread, so I am going to set the record straight.

First of all...
Derek Jeter: Not a Mormon.
Secondly: There is not a shred of doctrine that states that if you sin in life, you come back as a black person. That would imply that we believe in re-incarnation, which we do not. Also, I spent a year of my life riding a bike around the ghettos of Detroit trying to convert black people to Christ. Me, a white boy, in the ghettos, for a year, on a bike. (The rest of my mission was spent in the Detroit Suburbs) I would not have done that, nor would I have been asked to if it were not important to get "good news" to all people. I saw a guy get shot. I fell alseep to the sound of gunfire. I was out on the streets everyday. Yeah, you better believe black people are important to us!!! People are people, and all people are important to God. That's the way I see it anyway.

So, if any of you want the truth about the Mormons, here's the url.... www.lds.org
Jack @ AUS

Dasa

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:39 pm

Western727, that is the problem I have with Mormon's and such. We should be able to choose our religion, or if it is your preference, we should be able to choose no religion at all. The very idea that you have to go around trying to convert people is wrong, especially when you do it in such a forceful and just plain annoying manner.

An-225

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:40 pm

It's funny when JW's come over to my door, speaking bad Russian and trying to convert me. I take the copy of watchtower, read, and then shred it. Makes me feel good. Big grin

I invited people inside a few times to talk to them, but they seem to just hold their line and not listen to what you say.

100% pure atheist

Alex
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Superfly

Western727

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:23 pm

Western727:
What do you want, a twinkie?
Big f---ing deal you rode around Detroit on a bicycle. You being a white guy was probably the safest person in 'the ghetto' because you would never be mistaken as a gang member!

You certainly hide the FACT that blacks were NOT allowed to hold priesthood in your silly church until June 9, 1978. Spencer W. Kimball (then President of the LDS church), somehow received a revelation that black males could hold priesthood in that church. The churches reasoning for prior exclusion "were reasons only known to God".
Talk about passing the buck!
I've met our company’s clients from Utah Transit Authority (UTA) who was out here possibly extending a contract with our firm.
After meetings and all the other B/S associated with work, I went out for drinks with some of these guys. The topic of race & politics came up I didn't bring it up
One guy asked me "What's wrong with you people?" meaning blacks He started rambling off all sorts of scriptures from the book of Mormon and claiming to be a saint for riding his bicycle through the streets of St. Louis to ‘convert’ black people to Christ.
First of all, it's already been done! Most blacks are Christians and accept Christ as their Savior. Many here don’t know that Christianity existed in Africa years before the slave trade.
You make it sound as if they are a bunch of savages or is that what Mormons still think
Western727, I've heard your argument many times before from other Mormons. Living in the LA suburbs I was exposed to lots of Mormons and I've had in-depth discussions about this before. I've also been to Utah beautiful place BTW for camping, hiking and skiing and I can certainly feel the resentment and prejudice.

I wonder how welcome Karl Malone would feel if he wasn't an NBA star.

Bring back the Concorde

jwenting

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:42 pm

Most Mormons I know (not that there are many) are very nice people.
Most if not all Jehovahs I meet are fanatics.

Mormons never call uninvited, they may speak to you in the street asking for an appointment, I get JWs calling at ungodly  Smile/happy/getting dizzy hours at least once a week. It's gotten to the point where if I see two people (usually with a little kid in attendance) in long coats and preferably hats walking around the block I will not answer the doorbell for at least an hour...
I wish I were flying

IHadAPheo

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:43 pm

Hey Boeing757fan, If you think Jehovahs & Mormons are odd I have just one word for ya Scientology
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:54 pm

I've got quite afew mormon friends. Nicest people...

KROC

Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:35 pm

Western: Why do you have to go on "missions" trying to convert people, when most of them already have their own religion that they are happy with, or don't want to get "Mormons" the time of day, much less a JW? Because of the way you both push your religion and beliefs is why you have a negative stereotype. I respect your beliefs, but don't come on a mission to me, and try and push it on me. Now you are sooooo far away from my respected users list.

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:27 pm

I don't mind the JWs and Mormons who come to the door at random. Usually a quick "No, sorry..." does the trick.

But what I did mind was a Mormon cousin specifically sending two missionaries to my place to try to convert me. How do I know it was my cousin? There was a mix-up, and when they arrived at my door, they asked for him by mistake; you should have seen how they looked at each other wide-eyed when I told them that my cousin isn't here -- he lives 700 miles away. For the next couple of minutes, they stood out front looking at some papers, with puzzled looks on their faces.

Banco

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:42 pm

Be careful here, people have a right to their own beliefs. Whenever Jehovah's Witnesses have come to my door I have found them to be pleasant and actually quite interesting. I made clear that I was an atheist and just asked a few questions about it because despite being an atheist I find religion absolutely fascinating. Having heard what they said (and no, I wasn't converted) I think they are rather misunderstood, and a lot of the reaction to them is caused by people's fear and mistrust of the unknown. You only have to look at some of the recent opinions concerning Islam to see that. After all, there isn't such a reaction to other unsolicited callers, is there?

I can't see any difference between what they're doing and Christian missionaries throughout the ages. Think of all the poor sods who were living perfectly happy lives until they were told that they were sinners!

Live and let live I say. If you don't want to talk to them just politely say so - you might find that they politely thank you for your time and go away. Is 30 seconds of your time so crucial to you?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:51 pm

Hey guys

I live 160 miles north of Salt Lake City, Utah, and pretty much 75% of the population here IS mormon. In fact everyone on my mom's side of the family (except my mom) is mormon.

I am not mormon. I am independent, whcih means that I believe what I want to. I believe in God, heaven, and the afterlife, I DO NOt believe in hell, and I believe everything happens for a reason.

Unfortunately this has caused me some problems. First of all, I can't get a date. No offense to mormons, but this is kinda strange:

Mormon girls will not date a guy unless he's 1) Mormon and 2)Going to go on a mission, or has done so already.

If you're mormon you'll be fine. If you plan on going on a mission, you'll have several girls lined up to date you. Odd, but true.

Mormons do not believe in reincarnation. Also, they beleive that "spirit families" have spirit children and as their spirit family gorws in prominence while in heaven, the elders of that family reach goodhood.

My grandmother, who is mormon, told me that. I dunno...

Anyway, Mormons on the whole are verty nice people who would do anything for you. But if you live in an area where there's lots of mormons and you're not, you won't fit in.

Even here sometimes I've thought about converting just to get some more friends. but that's a silly reason to convert, but something to think about.

All in all I like mormons, but they seem a liittle to strict as far as association goes with people of other religions. I've enver heard of that "black" thing.

As for JW, there arre alot of those here too. PErhaps 5% of the population. Which doesn't seem like much but when you consider that "Other Religions" only make up 20% it is a big difference.

Every year they come to our door, every year my dad tells them to shove it up their arse. When I answer the door I'm very nice to them. Btu as soon as I offer them a cup of coffee they leave, hehe. I have other tricks, too.  Acting devilish

Well, I hope everyone realises I wasn't bashing any religion just telling you what I know about the mormon church or have heard.

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

PHLflyer

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:57 pm

Most of you are very misinformed about Mormons. You also have to remember that one Mormon individuals actions do not represent the beliefs of the entire church. If you would like to find out a little background about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, just follow the link. This way you can not accuse me of forcing my religion on you, you are doing so by your own free will.

http://www.mormon.org/

Here is a link for famous Mormons, you might be surprised at who is on the list. Even Superfly's namesake Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka is a Mormon. Gladys Knight, David Neeleman, the CEO of Jet Blue. Mark Willes, the CEO of the Times Mirror Group. How about Dave Checketts, former GM of the NY Knicks, now CEO of Madison Square Garden. Don't forget Marriott Hotels, founded and run by a Mormon Family.

http://ronj.webpipe.net/fam.htm

I spent two years in France as a missionary, and believe me, if someone was not interested in what we had to say, we thanked them politely and left. For the most part, the French were friendly and very hospitable but very non practicing Catholics. By non practicing, I mean they may see the inside of a church on Christmas and Easter.

Western727

RE: Superfly

Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:07 am

I've met our company’s clients from Utah Transit Authority (UTA) who was out here possibly extending a contract with our firm.
After meetings and all the other B/S associated with work, I went out for drinks with some of these guys....

So, let me get this straight. You go for drinks with UTA employees, and you expect them to be representative of LDS beliefs in general?! Superfly, do you know any active mormons? It doesn't sound like you do.

Now, that UTA employee was clearly out of line. In fact, If I was at a business meeting, I wouldn't have even breached the subject of religion or politics - and if someone else brought it up, I wouldn't add my opinions... that's a great way to kill a business deal. All I can say is that his attitude is not typical. I'm sorry you had such a traumatic experience.

Jack @ AUS

Western727

Kroc

Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:09 am

Now you are sooooo far away from my respected users list.

Uh... so are you telling me that I was close before?!
Jack @ AUS

Western727

RE: Aloha

Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:14 am

... as soon as I offer them a cup of coffee they leave, hehe...

You mean that actually worked!!
Jack @ AUS

RE: Western 727

Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:11 am

DUH! I know Jeter isnt a Mormon...
IT WAS A J-O-K-E.

I just say, if everyone has a freedom to choose their own religion, dont come up to my door trying to get me to listen to what you believe. I have better things to do. I already have my religion.

OH-LGA

Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:00 am

Superfly...

you may just want to take me off your Respected Users list if you don't like LDS Boys (aka Mormons)  Big grin

Because... I'm one too! Surprise!!!

That thing about peple than sin coming back as a black person? Total line of BS, I don't know where in the heck that came from. As for the fact that blacks were not allowed to hold the priesthood until 1978, I don't deny or hide that fact at all. President Spencer W. Kimball received the revelation in that time that they could, in fact, become full members of the Church. I won't make any excuses why it took that long, but apparently we weren't ready for that until that time.

We LDS members proliferate, we are anywhere and everywhere you look... even in the most unlikely circumstances.
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

IHadAPheo

Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:05 am

What would happen if a Mormon showed up at the door of a JW or better yet what would happen if a JW poked their head into the cave of MR. Bin Laden

DE727UPS

Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:23 am

Mormons would have you believe that they are part of the greater Christian tradition. Thus...they aren't Mormans anymore but now the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I would ask any Morman these two basic questions and ask for a basic yes or no answer......

Would you hold Jesus Christ, the son of the God of the bible, above Joseph Smith...the founder of the Morman religion?

Do you believe in the bible over and above the book of Mormon?

If you could answer a simple YES, in good consience, to both of those questions...then Yes, I believe a person can be a Morman and a Christian.

Another good link for info about the Morman religion is: www.utlm.org

OH-LGA

Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:41 am

De727ups: I'll answer them!

Would you hold Jesus Christ, the son of the God of the bible, above Joseph Smith...the founder of the Mormon religion?

Absolutely.

Do you believe in the bible over and above the Book of Mormon?

We believe them to be equal to each other.

Simple enough? And our name was always the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we were tagged with the name "Mormon" based on the Book of Mormon, and not much else. Of course we believe we are Christians, we do believe in God & Christ do we not?

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Superfly

Tue Nov 06, 2001 4:28 am

OH-LGA:
I always knew you were a Mormon. I have a few friends who are also Mormon. I am not that shallow to judge someone based on there religious beliefs. That's what Jehovah Witness do. Do Mormons do the same?
I certainly respect you as a user and I enjoyed spotting with you and all the others at the first Airliners.net gathering at SFO. I have many respected users who I don't agree with politically or religiously.
I even have DIEHARD AIRBUS LOVERS on my respected users list! Imagine that! Big grin
I don't think any less of you because of your religion. Just don't criticize Northwest Airlines Big grin

As for these revelations from God, Jesus, Joseph Smith or who ever, it doesn't make much sense and sounds too much like a fairytale. I just don't believe with what the LDS church preaches.
That's all.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

KROC

Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:33 am

Western, naw, you wern't close anyway, just a play on words.

RE: Western 727!

Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:56 am

"You mean that actually worked!!"

YEP, sure did!!!

It was a man and a woman at my door, and when they offered me this magazine thingy and also told me about this "Lamb of god" video I said "Hmmmmm....well how would you guys like to come in for a cup of coffee"

The girl said "Oh, we don't drink coffee, but we do have to be going, thank you for your time."

Yep, it worked!!

I have some other evil tricks too. One time I looked out the peephole and saw the Jw's. So I went and grabbed a star from my sisters room and wore it upside down when I answered the door! Scared them I think, maybe they thought I was a satanist?  Acting devilish (which was the point)

I don't do that to the mormons though. I'm very nice to the missionaries but I'm not really interested in becoming mormon. but they always leave with an oreo.  Big grin

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:06 am

Mormons, JW's, Catholics, Anglicans - whatever. Don't shovel your shit at my front door or in my face. I don't care what religion you are, but keep it to yourself.

Come to my door and you'll either get a mouthful or the garden hose is close by. And what about the dog?

Actually the worst I have had was a rather rude Catholic priest who came around door knocking on a Sunday morning (around 8:30am) to introduce himself to the parish (?). Low and behold my partner and I were busy entertaining ourselves when we were rudely interupted. I stomped downstairs furious at the interuption but concerned at the insistent knocking on the front door.

The discovery of a Catholic priest at my front door at 8:30am on a Sunday morning, and being interupted was enough for me to give the idiot a rather vulgar description of what he was interupting.

I liked the look on his face.

Cheers,

mb

LHMark

Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:23 am

I tend to keep proseletyzers of any religion at arm's length, but the Mormons and Witnesses generally don't go around making my life worse.

I've actually visited Hill Cumorah a few times... once for the pageant (quite a production, whatever your faith) and a couple of times because I was randomly driving around the area.

I try to be nice to the missionaries. What a rotten job to have to do all day.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller