tsully

Breaking News - Foreign Aid Workers Rescued!

Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:22 pm

CNN reports the 8 foreign aid workers being held captive by the Taliban since August were turned over to international Red Cross members and were rescued by 3 U.S. helicopters and have arrived safely in Pakistan within the last 30 minutes.

More to come.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

RE: Breaking News - Foreign Aid Workers Rescued!

Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:37 pm

I hope this is true... Are these the same ones that were spreading Christainity and got arrested for that?

tsully

Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:49 pm

Yeah, they were arrested for "proselytizing", which carried the death penalty.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:40 pm

They were rescued from the Red Cross?

gekkogecko

Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:49 pm

They were not rescued by the Red Cross and not by U.S. Helicopters. The Taliban left them back in prison and the Northern Alianz came and let them free.
Than U.S. Helicopter brought them to Islamabad in Pakistan.

Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:54 pm

I'm glad that they are safe. Stupid thing they did, Go to the most violent country and go agianst the Taliban. Why do they care what religion the Afgahns are.

heavymetal

Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:36 am

Glad you guys are safe.

Now pass the word to the missionaries...don't let this become a friggin' habit.

Alpha 1

Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:52 am

No more stupid than what Christ did. Had Jesus heeded such calls to not preach his word, Christianity itself would never have been born.

tsully

Fri Nov 16, 2001 3:03 am

What they were doing was not stupid. They were spreading the Gospel as Christ calls Christians to do. They had so much faith in God that they were able to bring themselves to go to such a godforsaken land and teach Christianity.

By the way, I can't think of any religion that doesn't call for the spreading of its doctrine.

ryanb741

Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:09 am

Ummm.....From what I can deduce it was the over zealous faith in God that made this land so 'Godforsaken'!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:33 am

Tsully,

What they were doing was not stupid. They were spreading the Gospel as Christ calls Christians to do. They had so much faith in God that they were able to bring themselves to go to such a godforsaken land and teach Christianity.

Lets speak freely here. What they were actually doing was breaking the laws of a country they were in. Before entering the country they gave an undertaking not to break the laws, and they chose to do so. They broke their own word as well as the law.

If you do not like the laws in your own country, you strive to change them. If you do not like the laws in another country, you don't enter it and deliberately break them.

As a christian you might think that christianity rates higher than the laws of any land. As an athiest I most certainly do not agree.

If you are so adamant that christianity should be allowed in any country/place (and I don't disagree with you as I do believe in the right to choose), then you should strive to CHANGE the laws rather than break them.

Attitudes such as yours do nothing to help your cause in the non christian communities of the world. Those 2 Australians had little Australian support because many of us felt that they had taken a risk of their own choice and the consequences they suffered were brought on by themselves.

VH-ADG

Alpha 1

Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:38 pm

Those 2 Australians had little Australian support because many of us felt that they had taken a risk of their own choice and the consequences they suffered were brought on by themselves.

But a sentence of death, ADG? I mean, these people-the Taliban, that is, are a bit hypocritical, aren't they? They have no problem with their word spreading to our lands-by that, I mean they're far-out brand of Islam, but if you spread anything other but their word to their land, you die? Sounds like modern fascism to me.

Yeah, maybe those folks knew the risks, but a nation that would sentence someone to death over such a thing smacks at uncivilized behavior in it's worst form, in my view.

Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:08 pm

But a sentence of death, ADG?

It certainly was concerned. But when people choose to put themselves at risk there is little we can do. We try and ban base jumpers too but they're still determined to kill themselves.

I mean, these people-the Taliban, that is, are a bit hypocritical, aren't they?

Certainly.

They have no problem with their word spreading to our lands-by that, I mean they're far-out brand of Islam, but if you spread anything other but their word to their land, you die? Sounds like modern fascism to me.

I don't disagree, but should we break a law just because we don't agree with it? Particularly in a foreign country.

Yeah, maybe those folks knew the risks, but a nation that would sentence someone to death over such a thing smacks at uncivilized behavior in it's worst form, in my view.

And I agree. But the fact that they're an uncivilised bunch of zealot loons doesn't mean we should go in their country and flaunt their laws. It means we shouldn't. Afghanis who want to be christian did have the choice of leaving their country (boat leaves to Australia twice a week from Indonesia!!!).

Also the Christians could have appealed to the UN to take action against Afghanistan as well. Don't know what it would have achieved but I would never condone entering another country.

What about if someone from a country that condoned murder came into your country and murdered someone? Should they go unpunished? After all, where they come from murder is OK.... Very far fetched but hopefully you get the point.

However, that being said, i'm glad they are safe.

VH-ADG

Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:25 pm

"What about if someone from a country that condoned murder came into your country and murdered someone? Should they go unpunished?"

And if we were to punish this person, we would hear much defense from a select number of users here. Is it just me or do some people here seem to complain more about U.S. policy's than they do, let's say Afghani policy's, or even sometimes, like in this case, defend them?

-Tom

Alpha 1

Fri Nov 16, 2001 10:42 pm

I don't disagree, but should we break a law just because we don't agree with it? Particularly in a foreign country.

The best way to change an unjust law is to defy it.

What about if someone from a country that condoned murder came into your country and murdered someone? Should they go unpunished? After all, where they come from murder is OK.... Very far fetched but hopefully you get the point.

I see where you're going, but that example is far-fetched, simply because I don't know of a society that condones murder. Remember, the Nazi's killed people simply because of their religion, and the world was rightly outraged. Same thing should apply here, in my opinion.