Dog Labs?

Sat Nov 17, 2001 9:43 am

I am doing a bit of research into med school and a medical career (remember the post 'Wanting to do too much?'). I have found a wonderful message board, which has answered a lot of my questions, but while viewing other posts I came across something called a dog lab.
They use dogs (some stray and going to be killed, some breed for this purpose) to teach basic physiology and pharmacology to first-year medical students. What happens is to perform surgery on and harvest organs from (read as: kill) a dog. Only about half of the medical schools do this, and this lab is optional. The schools that do not do this demonstrate this lab by observing a cardio operation.
I just think it is barbaric to use our pets in such research. I am not against animal testing, even demonstrating this lab with another animal maybe a pig, or a rabbit, but not a pooch!
To find out more information you can go to: Doctors against Dog Labs
Iain

RE: Dog Labs?

Sat Nov 17, 2001 9:47 am

I really don't see a difference between a pig a rabbit and a pooch... I think any kind of animal testing or lab animals is cruel and should be banned!!!

I always thought they should use people on dead row for this kind of stuff!!!

JAT

RE: Dog Labs?

Sat Nov 17, 2001 9:58 am

If they are going to kill the dog anyway why not learn something from it if you can.