Ap7570
Topic Author

Do You Know The Price For Each Lunch On A Pane?

Sun Nov 18, 2001 1:44 am

I was talking to a freind of mine, FA for CO...
She told me that it cost the airlines about 20 to 45 bucks for the food per passenger. Even for the little boxes with a "sandwich".....Is it true ?

teahan

RE: Do You Know The Price For Each Lunch On A Pane?

Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:04 am

Hello,

For a coach meal, it is rarely more than $5, while for an C/F meal rarely more than $20. This is for domestic flights on American carriers.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

airsicknessbag

Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:16 am

I believe I remember reading the cost is upwards of 100 US$ on F meals on Europe-S E Asia flights.

Daniel Smile

cedarjet

Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:13 am

Absolutely not. A UK charter airline I know pay about $2.60 for the meals on their flights (a sandwich, cupcake, biscuits and cheese), that's about as low as you can go. Why would a baguette or whatever that costs $4 on the ground (and that's when you buy one...imagine how cheap when you buy tens of thousands every day) cost $50 in the air? There may be some special packaging and refridgeration requirements but still.

My recent experience: Continental EWR-MIA (2 hours 30): a baguette with some kind of filling. Lufthansa LHR-HAM (1 hour): hot dish plus smoked salmon and dill sauce on the side, salad, biscuits and cheese, wine, dessert. And that LH ticket was only about $200. Not wishing to make US carriers look bad, but there is no way LH are paying $50 a head for that meal. Let alone Continental for theirs. I would say the answer is ONE DOLLAR.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

L-188

Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:41 pm

It isn't the food it is the security screening that it has to go through that costs the money.... Laugh out loud
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

carmy

Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:14 pm

I used to work at Singapore Airport Terminal Services Catering Centre as a temporary worker after my exams a few years back, and according to one of the sous chefs there, he said airlines actually give the kitchens a budget as well as an idea as to what kind of cuisine they wanted to see. The caterers then produce a menu for the airline according to that budget and the requested cuisine.

He said that most airlines give SATS a budget of about S$15 for an exonomy class passenger. In today's exhange rate, that would be about US$8. But in those days, the Singapore dollar was alot stronger, it was about US$12. So I guess it'd cost about US$10. But he also said that some airlines pay alot more than other airlines. Cited the example of Emirates, which he said paid alot more than most other airlines. Didn't give specific numbers then though.

I don't know about First and Business class. At SATS, First class had their own kitchen, which I had never been to.

XNV

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:53 am

Where I used to work they paid on average CAD $10 for each hot meal. I have read about some F meals on international flights being upwards of USD $60, but consider what they are being served on some routes.