LAX

Do You Own A Gun?

Sun Nov 18, 2001 9:46 am

How many?

Kind?

# of victims due to negligence?

# of years served in the State Prison System?

# of bullet holes accidentally fired into your den ceiling?

Thanks.

[I HATE GUNS!!! No reason to have one at all!! Too many accidents. I feel much safer NOT having one in the closet! My 2/100 of a dollar!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy]

b757300

RE: Do You Own A Gun?

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:00 am

Talk about someone trying to start a flame war.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

LAX

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:05 am

Why do you say that?

LAX

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:05 am

Big grin

757PF

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:12 am

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:13 am

My father has a 12 gauge shotgun, made my Miricu (sp.). The gun is locked up in a secure steal gun case, and is used for skeet shooting.
I agree with you that guns are involved in far to many accidents, however in responsible hands guns can be safe. When I say responsible I do not mean people like Matt D, who has a whole asernal ready to take on the government, but people who have a gun for shooting clays or going hunting.
I do not see the need for hand guns, they are pretty much useless unless you plan on robbing a 7-11 or going to ghetto for some drive by fun! If you claim you use them for target practice you can do that with a simulartor, which are so advance today can give you a kick, get the gun smell, etc.
I also do not approve of canned hunting. The animal has to have a chance too, when you fence them in, drug them, or make the dizzy that is nothing more the animal cruelty. I would also like to state that there really is no need for hunting clays do exactly the same, however propler hunting is good for keeping the animal population under control, and when it is out in the wilderness it is pretty fair.
Iain

We're Nuts

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:19 am

A .22 rifle.
Dear moderators: No.

Whistler

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:36 am

I am not one of those extreme NRA types that wants my own small army, but I still don't get some of these gun control laws. If you are a criminal about to murder somebody with a gun your not gonna give a shyte whether the gun is registered or illegal. The only people those laws affect are the law abiding ones that want it to protect their homes.

Guns don't cause crime, banning the law abiders from having them wont do anything. Look at Switzerland, everybody over the age of like 18 there has an assault rifle, and their crime rate is one of the lowest in the world.

And as long as you know how to use it right you wont have any accidents, maybe they should make some sort of mandatory school though so people will know how to take care of them responsibly.

Whistler

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:42 am

BTW I don't own a gun right now, I am too young. When I am old enough and have a couple hundred dollars lying around I will probably get a Walther, CZ, or something.

We're Nuts

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:50 am

Switzerland is a bad example.
Dear moderators: No.

FordLover

Sun Nov 18, 2001 11:00 am

At the moment, no. In the past, yes. I grew up in the American Midwest. Guns (and gun safety) were a part of everyday life. I was using a Remington .22 rifle as soon as I could work the action (12 yrs old as I recall).
From there, I worked my way on up to larger calibers. Every year, hunting was a ritual (Deer, Pheasant, Turkey). I don't own any firearms now, since I've moved to town, and simply don't have the time for hunting anymore. I've toyed with the idea of getting into target pistols, but again, I don't have the time to get good at it, so what's the point? And I have yet to kill a single person. Perhaps I should try harder? (Yes, I am a Redneck, and proud of it!)

174thfwff

Sun Nov 18, 2001 11:22 am

As soon as I am 18 I am buying a Glock 26 .45.
Not anyone is going to stop me, unless the law changes.

Reasons to have one...
I like to shoot in a shooting range.
Self Defence. A person can shoot to kill to defend themself when necessary.

-Peace In-
174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

NKP S2

Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:40 pm

Whistler whistler whistler.... Your views on gun ownership I agree with, absolutely. So does the NRA. The only place I hear the NRA "one man army" et. al. BS is from the media and pop-culture. Never allow them to frame any argument, much less shape your opinion on ANY subject. -- BTW, LAX, Don't try to appear so innocent. Your question was not an honest one: It was a transparent attempt at making a flame-baiting statement and you damn well know it. With that in mind, who am I to disappoint your efforts?

OzarkD9S

Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:41 pm

no gun here
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

Ap7570

Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:51 pm

no gun, find that they cause to much violence------------will never have one.

An-225

Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:02 pm

No, but I'd sure like an AK-47 some time in my life Big grin
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

I Like To Fly

Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:08 pm

I have a shotgun, two Glocks... one only legal for police officers, and a Crossman air rifle. Big thumbs up

Alpha 1

Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:10 pm

Here's my answer:

< http://members.aol.com/andylaw/sound/carry.wav>

b757300

Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:54 pm

Alright, this will stir up some trouble.

Some of these are mine and some belong to my parents.
Anything in Bold is mine, the rest are in the house.
Hand Guns
1 Heckler & Koch USP .45
1 Colt 1991A .45

1 Smith & Wesson .38
1 .38 from 1935. (Belonged to by Grandfather. Doesn't Work.)
1 Ruger 9mm

Rifles
2 M-1 Garand Rifles (One Made in 1942, other in 1950)
[I own one of the Garands and my Dad owns the other)
1 M-1 Carbine (Made in 1944 by IBM)
(We also have a bayonet for Garand and one for the Carbine)
2 Russian SKS's with bayonets (Made in 1947 and 1949)
[One SKS is mine and the other is my Dad's]
1 Colt AR-15

Shotguns
1 Mossberg 12 Gauge

Future Purchases

1 Heckler & Koch UMC .45 Caliber Carbine
1 Remington 700 .308 Rifle
1 Coneceable .45 Either H&K, Sig, or Glock
1 Ithaca 12 Gauge Shotgun
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

mls515

Sun Nov 18, 2001 4:27 pm

Lax-

I'm sure that if you surveyed the vast majority of responsible gun owners (and even most of the irresponsible ones) the numbers you would get for your survey questions would be:

# of victims due to negligence? Zero

# of years served in the State Prison System? Zero

# of bullet holes accidentally fired into your den ceiling? Zero

As for me, I don't own any guns myself but my father does own several shotguns and rifles for hunting purposes and they are all locked in a safe. When me and my older brother and sister were younger, the ammo was kept locked in a seperate location.

Actually, now that I'm reminded of the subject, sometime after Christmas I will be in the market for a handgun for target shooting and home protection. Can anyone suggest any particular model? I will have about $500 or so to spend. If anyone would be willing to give input, please post a reply or send me an e-mail.

Thanks,

mls515

serge

Sun Nov 18, 2001 4:37 pm

0 guns. Even just sold my paintball gun/marker on ebay for $200  Big thumbs up

...Serge

serge

Sun Nov 18, 2001 4:47 pm

Would rather have flight hours then a paintball gun.  Wink/being sarcastic

L-188

Sun Nov 18, 2001 5:28 pm

Gee. There is no bias in that question that Lax posted, is there  Insane

I think I will keep my actually firearms collection to myself for the time being.....So I guess my answer to number 1 is yes and no to the other three questions.

757PF.....Next time don't use statistics by Herb Kohl....He is/was a politician and by definition that means he is a liar and a cheat.

Look at that two-faced Diane Finestein. She fought Concealed Carry Permits but yet got one herself. Apparently what is good for her ignorant supporters isn't good enough for her.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Matt D

Sun Nov 18, 2001 10:05 pm

Now what about that? All of you that think the worlds problems will evaporate if we eliminate guns.....

I want one of you to explain to me how that toothless, hunchbacked, shrivelled old crone....namely CA Senator Feinstein can justify battling against concealed weapons law....

and turn around.....and get a concealed weapon.

SOMEBODY explain to me why that was ok.

As for what I have, all I will say is that there are 6 pistols and 2 rifles inside my house, one of which I keep concealed under my mattress.

The others are strategically placed throught the house.

"Not locked in a safe"? you ask?

Well considering that one of my roommates is a police officer and the other, like me just likes a little "insurance", plus there are never kids around, we see no problem.

Sun Nov 18, 2001 11:32 pm

Wierd, I was just thinking about this.
From the way I see it, guns are not the problem. The society we live in is at fault. 30 years ago 1 in 2 american households contained a firearm, yet the total number of deaths was FAR lower. I believe that first of all, parents these days are clueless as to what their kids are doing ex: Columbine, Jonesborough, Santee etc... The parents were obviously oblivious as to the problems their kids had, as well as to what they were doing in their spare time.
I get tired of people comparing America to Europe. It just isn't the same society! Here, a kid would never THINK of shooting a classmate for revenge, because they know its just not right, and their parents have tought them so. But times are changing, and so are the youths of today. I guarantee you that in 20-25 years Europe or at least France will not be the same. This is due to a large influx of immigrants, and ever changing demographics. Much like the situations the US was faced with in the early 90s. Kids today are growing up much differently, and without proper parental guidance, things can go wrong quick.
I'm perfectly fine with MattD having 50+ guns in his house, because he obviously doesn't seem the type to go out and shoot people for no reason.
Just my 2 cents
-Clovis

P.S. I currently have a Daisy bb rifle.

Whistler

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:26 am

"The only place I hear the NRA "one man army" et. al. BS is from the media and pop-culture. Never allow them to frame any argument, much less shape your opinion on ANY subject."

Sorry man, we don't have the NRA here so I just go by what I see on TV Big grin.

JetService

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:54 am

No guns. But supports 100% the right to own one.
"Shaddap you!"

Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:25 am

Colt 1991A? do you mean 1911A?