cfalk

Al-Qaeda Isn't So Smart...

Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:41 am

Does everyone remember when the Northern Alliance took Kabul a couple weeks back? A house was taken filled with notes and plans for terrorist plots, including some carefully read and amply notated instructions on how to build a nuclear bomb. A lot of these notes were filmed by CNN and BBC cameras.

Well, this is where it gets a little funny. You see, those words appear on a semi-famous document that has made the rounds on the Internet since the late 1980's. It's a reprint of a scientific parody called "How to Build an Atom Bomb" from a humor newsletter called The Annals of Improbable Research (AIR). At the time this document was originally written (1979!), the newsletter was called the "Journal of Irreproducible Results". (In scientific circles, a finding must be reproducible to be considered valid. Hence... well, it's geek humor. You understand.)

So basically, Al Qaeda "researchers" were studying stuff that any nuclear physicist worth his degree would have spotted instantly as a joke for those with pocket-protectors and Scotch tape around their glasses.

Here's the website of the AIR newsletter.
http://www.improbable.com/

That makes me feel much better. Maybe we can call off the whole damn war, and make it known that a formula for superhuman strength and bullet-proof skin has been developed and that it has been pirated and made available on some underground website, which (accidently) replaces the formula for a slow acting poison.

Cheers

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

THE PAUL

RE: Al-Qaeda Isn't So Smart...

Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:42 am

Al-Qaeda Isn't So Smart...

Yep, we all know.  Big grin

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:05 am

They were obviously smart enough to train operatives to live in America, and then to simultaneously hijack 4 airliners, which they then used to plough into buildings with great precision (with the exception of the UA aircraft which crashed in Pennsylvania).  Insane

Those documents which were found could very well have been a throw-off.....you know that Al-Qaeda have been known to do this very "smartly".

Matt D

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:10 am

Does anyone besides myself harbor more than a passing suspicion that Mr. Laden has lopped off his beard, trimmed his hair, lost the turban, put on some Levis and is over here living the Life Of Riley-laughing his ass off while we are chasing our tails?

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:10 am

That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard Aviatsiya. You think it was smart to do that to us?

Keep on praising them Aviatsiya.... Pissed

Grow a brain.

CPDC10-30

RE: Matt D

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:14 am

I wouldn't be surprised...reminds me of the movie Swordfish from earlier this year.

cfalk

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:15 am

I'm not questioning their ruthlessness. And in spite of what the press keeps talking about, there was nothing "sophisticated" about the Sept. 11th attacks - all they needed was cold-blooded lack of scruples and barely enough pilot's training to fly a Cessna.

When did Al-Qaeda mislead anyone by faking research? Those notes seemed pretty closely studied, with all the notations that were made. Someone even translated them into Arabic - hardly a small task for a language the does not even have a word for "maintainance" as I recall, and hardly a task one would do as a prank either.

I prefer to see them as stupid. Brutal and without remorse, but stupid. None of their history points to anything more intelligent, that I have seen.

Charles

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:39 am

The Paul (or is it Pauline?)

This look familiar?

I can have my own opinion. Any flamers lamers will be ignored

Insane

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:41 am

The Paul (or is it Pauline?)

This look familiar?

Hey, if you look in my profile, I am not a female. Yes that does sound familiar.

So you honestly think what the Al-Qaeda did was smart? Burn in hell then!

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:42 am

So what if someone hijacked a Russian airliner? Would you call them smart for doing that?

Staffan

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:48 am

The Paul,

If the hijackers succeed with their hijack, then they are clever, the dumb ones fail...
If you start thinking that your enemy is some dumb IQ-less individual, you are going to loose the fight..

Staffan

Matt D

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:52 am

An idiot would be someone that hijacks this plane, thinking that G. Dubya is on it.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael Carter

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:53 am

Staffan, almost anyone could bring a little box cutter or knive on board a plane before Sept. 11 and use that to hijack it. It's was not that dificult for them to plan that. Besides, whenever we've killed all of the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, you see just how smart they all were.

SQ325

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:56 am

The Paul click your profile and next ckick edit profile.
You can change female into male.
amazing feature
The terrorists which were planning these attacks must have some IQ in their brains.
But they are not smart. Or is it smart to crash a plane into a house and thinking you work well for the Islam and Allah? These guys were absolutely crazy their thoughts were not rational in one point.
But the organisation behind all this activities is not stupid regarding logistical and preparing work.

regards SQ

cfalk

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:59 am

Steffan

I disagree. Intelligence is not a factor. All you have to do is do something so outrageous where society is not prepared for the eventuality of what you are trying to do.

If I were a flasher, baring myself to old ladies and young children, that does not mean I am smart. All it means is that I have chosen the time and place where such acts are unexpected, and I'll get away with it. Eventually, the outrageousness of the act will provoke a response, but not before I've had my fun.

There you have it folks. I have proven that Bin Ladin and Co. is nothing but a flasher!

Charles

Staffan

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:01 am

Why is then the Al-Quaeda leader still on the run, almost three months later???
If Al-Quaeda had the same military equipment as the US, this world would be a living hell now...
Many of them are just fighters...but there are a few masterminds planning everything, and these guys are smart, but insane...

As for hijacking one a/c, might have been easy, but to get four of them at the same time... that takes some planning, and they actually succeeded with at least two of them...

Staffan

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:03 am

The Paul click your profile and next ckick edit profile.
You can change female into male.
amazing feature

Uhh, no I've tried that before SQ325, there is no feature I looked all over for it.

SQ325

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:07 am

OOOOPPPPS sorry for that.
So you are a Lady!

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:14 am

No.

Staffan

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:16 am

Cherles,  Big grin
There is a difference between common sense and intelligence.
I'm also afraid that you just labeled the US as old ladies and children with your statement  Big grin

Staffan

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:41 am

The Paul

I can have my own opinion. Any flamers lamers will be ignored.

But i will say, where did I say anything of the like that I agree with or defend what Al Qaeda and bin Laden allegedly are responsible for doing?

What I said is that they were smart to be able to carry out the operation which they carried out. Either that, or intelligence sources in America are incredibly dumb.....maybe a combination of both????  Insane

Also, care to tell me why The747Man and Boeing747-400 are no longer active usernames?  Insane

Minuteman

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:58 am

I believe the bulk of this group is a bunch of zealots and thugs who are looking for somone to guide them.

They're not very disciplined either...when they blew up the USS Cole, there was supposed to be a guy there in another boat to film the event for propeganda. Too bad he overslept.

TWA902fly

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:44 pm

They're all stoned on opium... the main export of their country.

Which proves my point, the only point. Dont Do Drugs.

twa902 dont do drugs
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

mrman_3k

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:58 pm

Tell that to Bombstar!

Hoffa

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:19 pm

I think Bin Laden had a better education than Dubya Bush!

9V-SVE

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:08 pm

Hoffa

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:07 pm

I'm sure I will get flamed for saying this but I fully agree with Aviatsiya and his opinion on Osama Bin Laden, regardless of the heinous acts he has been accused of carrying out.

He is extremely clever, savvy, devoted, and organized. Anybody who in the space of 10 years can create a terrorist organization with a presence in over 60 countries, consistently taps into financial support provided by disaffected Arab donors, skillfully makes his cause resonate with longstanding greivances of the Arab and Muslim world, and recruits a resilient group of terrorists that concentrate into small cells, learn from their mistakes, and painstakingly scope out their targets deserves some credit IMHO.

Look at the operation to kill Ahmed Shah Massoud two days before the WTC attacks---clearly this guy has a finely tuned sense of what's going on and he has anticipated the American response to a T.

He does exactly what the CIA does (promote terrorism around the world) but does it smarter, cheaper, and with fewer cock ups.

CX Flyboy

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:21 pm

I don't understand something. Almost everyone here, and on TV has said how smart and organised it was to plan the simultaneous hijackings.

What was so hard about it? You get a few guys to go to the US and enrol them in flight school. Nothing hard about that. You then set a date, and get groupd of people to pass security at various airports with hidden knives. Nothing hard about that either. We all know how bad security was before 9-11. Once on board, you hijack the aircraft (Not hard either). You sit in the control seat, and fly into your targets. I really don't understand why people are saying that it was so hard....because it wasn't.

Hoffa

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:26 pm

Well Cx_flyboy, it takes no small amount of organization to recruit people who will willingly take their lives, fly them to Afghanistan for basic training, set them up inside the USA without arousing suspicion, obtain the funding required for their living expenses and flying lessons and scoping out of targets, etc. This was an effort stretching back years and it shows in its very sophistication.

Having said that, I doubt Bin Laden imagined that all 4 hijackings would be pulled off without a hitch.

CX Flyboy

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:43 pm

Hoffa,

I have no doubt that there are many smart people in the organisation, but the hijackings themselves would not have taken a mastermind. Al Queda is a very rich organisation, and the funding for housing, expenses and crew training would not have been a problem.
How hard is it to go to a travel agent and buy tickets to visit the US? Not hard. How hard is it to walk up to a flight school and say "Hi, I would like to learn to fly planes". Not hard.
The US is full of people from all over the world and it is not unusual to see people of all nationalities walking around, or living in your neighbourhood. Would it be hard to blend in? No, not really.
Of course, now things are different, but before 9-11, it would have been easy.