VirginA340
Topic Author

Osama Bin Laden Man Of The Year!?!

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:37 am

Is TIME magazine smoking crack again or what!?! I heard on FOX news that time has a short list of people 4 man of the year and Osama is a strong possibility to be on the cover!?! This is not the first time Time has commited to being this stupid. In 1938 it was Hitler, In 1979 it was Ayatollah Khomeini and Stalin made it both times in 1939 and 1942. TIME ahs gone too far. why don't they put "Men of the Year and commit the cover to the FDNY/EMS, PAPD and NYPD? Outrageaous! what a waste of paper.
"FUIMUS"

KROC

RE: Osama Bin Laden Man Of The Year!?!

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:39 am

It will never happen. Plain and Simple. Nobody would ever by a copy of TIME Magazine again.

KROC

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:39 am

At least in America.

767-332ER

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:43 am

I'd boycott it.

I think they should have one of an "Unknown man" for all of the firefighters and police and innocent people that died and include some personal stories of the afformentioned people.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Aussiemite

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:44 am

well he is a big celebrity may not be for good reason but the entire world knows who he is now.

In high school a mate of mine and I had OBL listed in the employees section of our fake companies website as the head of terrorism and debt collection department.

DC10Tony

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:48 am

Exactly, no one would buy TIME again. Just like how STAR lost a lot of revenue from what they published about Princess Diana.

What TIME ought to do for man of the year is put like 500 small photos of FDNY, NYPD, etc. on their cover. If they do that, they've already got a customer.  Smile

yhu

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:57 am

Is the reason that Hitler and so on made it not because Man of the Year is for the person who most influenced the world on the past year? Or something like that? You have to admit, not one effected the world this year as much as he did. It doesn't have to be in a good way, just like Hitler. What he did effected the whole world, as terrible as it was.

LH423

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:57 am

You people are misunderstanding the purpose of the Man Of The Year! It is not necessarily an honour. The purpose of the Man Of The Year issue is to remark on the people who have changed our lives, either positive or negative. I think it is quite suitable that Osama Bin Laden be on the cover, because who else has had more of an impact on the citizens of the world than Osama?

Remember, it's not an honour, especially for someone guilty of such a heinous crime.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Pilot1113

Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:04 am

The "Man of the Year" title goes to whoever manages to dominate the headlines for the majority of the year.

Last year it was George W. Bush because he dominated the majority of the headlines. If Gore had won he would have become "Man of Year" because he would have gotten more headlines, being president and all.

- Neil Harrison

CPDC10-30

RE: LH423

Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:25 am

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Nice to see you back  Smile

JetService

Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:38 am

The good news is that they don't make dead people M.O.T.Y.

OBL will be dead by end of the year.
"Shaddap you!"

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:38 am

The Man/Woman of the year is the person Time feels has the biggest impact on world events for that year. You tell me someone who has had a larger impact? This isn't like People Magazine's "Sexiest Person In The World" issue-it isn't a popularity contest, and it shouldn't be. This is who influenced events the most, and he certianly can fit the bill.

Unfortunately, to make things PC, they'll probably pick President Bush instead, because too many readers think it's just another popularity test. I say he should be Man Of the Year, because the act he masterminded has completely changed the political, social, economic, physchological and military landscape of the United States, inded the world.

Dasa

Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:50 am

Exactly, All those who said the "Man Of The Year" award is for the one person who influenced the world and dominated the headlines greatly is correct. You don't necessarily have to have influenced the world by doing good to ebcome Man Of The Year.
Take a look at this link for some more information:

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/manyear.htm

dragogoalie

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:18 pm

If that happens, I'm buying a copy along with a lighter and doing what they do to the american flag.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

milldoh

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:24 pm

dragogoalie just try not to catch your beard on fire like that arab clown.

dragogoalie

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:29 pm

LOL, I just have a short goatee, so it shouldent be a problem  Wink/being sarcastic Thanks for the tip though.

--dragogoalie-#88--

Aussiemite

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:41 pm

wow we agree on something.

If OBL's mission didn't go ahead then El Presidento Bush woudn't be waging right now and he woudnt have had half the attention.

bombstar

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:41 pm

LOL, for those of you that dont know, that guy (protester burning flag) was sprayed with lighter fluid. Hair doesnt really catch on fire, it disintergrates and leaves a very nasty smell.

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:46 pm

LOL, for those of you that dont know, that guy (protester burning flag) was sprayed with lighter fluid. Hair doesnt really catch on fire, it disintergrates and leaves a very nasty smell.

Yeah, Michael Jackson can tell you about that first-hand. Ahem.

dragogoalie

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:46 pm

Thats very true. Like when you dry your hair with the hairdryer too long...But I'm sure even that burns like hell  Wink/being sarcastic

--dragogoalie-#88--

milldoh

Mon Dec 03, 2001 1:06 pm

Hair doesnt really catch on fire, it disintergrates and leaves a very nasty smell.

It doesn't do anything unless you light it up by accident when you're trying to spark up the bowl.  Big grin

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:36 pm

If they have that lunatic on the cover as "man of the year", I will end my subscription (and probably several million other Americans). Time, be warned!

desertjets

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:47 pm

Time has done stupider things with Man of the Year... like the year that Time/Warner bought Turner Broadcasting and Ted Turner was Man of the Year... makes you go hmmm.. Plus Stalin was man of the year in 44 I believe. Bush last year was a complete cop out if you ask me. But if anything I'd be willing to bet that Guiliani gets it... or maybe they'll do a joint MOTY with Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:51 pm

This would be too much honour to him since it's not prooven that he is behind 911.

zauberfloete

Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:47 pm

It IS proven that he is behind the sep. 11 attacks, and that makes him "ASS of the year".

Or "coward of the year".

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 10, 2001 1:02 am

Will all those between my last post on this one stop and think for a minute!!??? Good God, slow down!!

The "Person Of The Year" designation isn't a popularity contest, for God's sake, guys! It should not be a PC thing to "honor" anyone. It is meant for one thing: to recognize, for well or for ill, the person who has had the greatest impact on the world in the year. If you want to threaten Time with your idiotic musing of cancelling your subscription, go ahead. There is NO ONE who has had a greater impact on the world than OBL, and, under the definition that I have given, he most certainly should be the "Man Of The Year."

The other choices for the designation pale in comparison: President Bush, Rudy Giuliani (please), the NYPD or FDNY. That's not what the designation is about! George, Rudy, the fireman and policemen have acted heroically, but that is NOT what this is about. They didn't impact the world the way this bastard has. Get a grip people.

zauberfloete

Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:15 am

George Bush jr. impacted the world more than Osma Bin Laden. Bin Laden destroyed a skyscraper, and that was for sure a criminal act.
President Bush, with his very apropriate answer to this, destroyed a realm of evil, the regime of the taleban. THAT was a thing that really had an influence on the world. A nation freed from hated dictators. An maybe president Bush is willed to end the regime in Iraq an Somalia as well.
That would be a thing of enduring influence.
In my opinion, George Bush Jr. has been one of the most underestimated Statesmen ever. He turned out to be a very practical thinking, result oriented person, with a realistic view of things.
A really great president. (I don´t mean that ironic, that´s my serious opinion)
For me, he is the man for the time cover this year.

777236ER

Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:25 am

Would George Bush be destroying the Taleban if September 11th hadn't have happened?!  Insane

Tell me, honestly, how many of you knew the name Osama bin Laden at the begining of 2001? How many know his name now? He should be Time's MOTY.

Unfortunatly, he probably won't be, as Time is well aware how stupid some people are and think people in magazines should be heros who go to church and are always helping others  Insane
Your bone's got a little machine

BH346

Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:47 am

I know this isn't a popularity contest, but making Osama Bin Laden Time's Man of the Year, would probably glorify his cause for his terrorist acts.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

VirginA340
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:18 am

If TIME will put him on the cover then make him asshole of the year instead of MOTY. He doesn't deserve that title. BTW I knew about Osama and Taliban since 1998.
"FUIMUS"

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:14 am

Zauberfloet, President Bush wouldn't have had the impact he's had without the events instigated by OBL. OBL.

And VirginA340, if you look at it from the context that OBL had the biggest impact on world events this year-which, he no doubt did, then yes, he does "deserve" this title. If someone is unbiased about this-and you all know what an OBL-hater, Pro-American stalwart I've been on here-then Time really has no choice. Yet even though they have no choice, they won't pick him, just to placate the ignorant among the American people.

lehpron

Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:15 pm

People will buy it anyway, it could be a very pricy collectors item; think about it, even if no one gets one, IT'S RARE.

Besides, who every said that whoever/whatever TIME puts up on the cover of their magazine just HAS to be a nice and happy image? It isn't stupid, it's simply your "standard liberal media" acting normal.

Get over it and soon you'll be rich.  Big thumbs up
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Bernard Shakey

Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:21 pm

Uhhhh....you're talking about it aren't you? There is no such thing as bad publicity. As Navin Johnson said, "ohhh, it's a profit deal...."
Mindless drifter on the road, Carries such an easy load

EGFF

Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:30 am

It does sound abit out of order!
EGFF
All together or not at all

Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:40 am

Oslama should be on the front of interior cave decorating not man of the year!!