Absolutely Fabulous
Men Behaving Badly
Allo Allo
Are You Being Served.
Fawlty Towers
The Young Ones
The Black Adder
Monty Python

Also, there is another Rowan Aktinson series were he a police officer, but the name escapes me.

CX Flyboy

RE: Favourite British Comedies

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:22 pm

The Rowan Atkinson one was 'The Thin Blue Line' wasn't it? I am not sure, but it was pretty good.

Goodnight Sweetheart was ok.

Monty Python and Fawlty Towers were brilliant though!!

Mark2102

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:25 pm

Monty Python.

Mark

Hoffa

Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:27 pm

Absolutely Fabulous is simply delicious!

tbar220

Tue Dec 04, 2001 1:11 pm

Monty Python's Flying Circus  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

AWspicious

Tue Dec 04, 2001 2:13 pm

Cx; You're right. Pretty funny show.
My votes are Benny Hill, Ab-Fab, and another that ran long ago, around the same time with Benny - DAVE Allen At Large. He loved to poke fun at the church (dunno if it was catholic or protestant, tho.)
I'll always remember a skit where he played an escaped convict who jumped on the back of some dude who was trying to fly wearing wings on his arms. He jumps on the dude's back, puts a gun to his head and orders "Take me to Cuba". It was hilarious seeing Dave Allen trying to hijack this bird-brained dude  Laugh out loud
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

aerorobnz

Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:55 pm

I think that Monty Python takes it for being original, however I love Blackadder almost as much...both because they share my sadistic sense of humour...lol
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

VapourTrails

Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:22 pm

Fawlty Towers
Birds of a Feather  Big thumbs up
The Goodies - especially the episode with Concorde in it  Big grin
Executive Stress
The Young Ones
The Good Life
From Australia. Qantas - Spirit of Australia.

Thom@s

Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:56 pm

Absolutly Faboulus
Monty Pythons Flying Circus
Fawlty Towers

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

NJTurnpike

Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:40 pm

Absolutely. NOT AbFab...just Absolutely. Ran on Channel 4 in the early 90s, and I'm one of about two people who probably remember it.

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:14 am

Benny Hill
Keeping Up Appearances
On The Buses
Hot Metal
Mr. Bean
The New Statesman (nothing to do with the magazine by the same name)

Soren-a

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:21 am

1. Bottom
2. Monthy Python
3. Black Adder
4. The young ones
5. Falthy Towers
6. Mr. Bean
7. Benny Hill

carmy

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:38 am

In no order of preferance,

Benny Hill
Goodness Gracious Me
Mind your language
Mr Bean
Allo Allo

The best comedies are made in Great Britain! No doubt about it!  Big thumbs up

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:45 am

Dan Hamer

Ummm... No, on 2nd thought.... Yeah sure

klmfan

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:38 am

It's...

Monty Python's Flying Circus

BlackAdder
Mr. Bean

Isn't there a series where Rowan Atkinson plays a police inspector which is called "Inspector ..."?

Jaspike

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:47 am

On last night:

The Kumar's at No. 42 (Brilliant!!)

Neverr Mind The Buzzcocks is funny - though not a comedy programme.
And all the others that have been mentioned that I can't bothered to repeat.

Josh
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Banco

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:50 am

Yes, (Prime) Minister was one of the cleverest, but I guess you'd have to know British politics to appreciate it.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cfalk

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:55 am

Anyone notice that British TV comedy tends to be a bit more intelligent than the average American TV comedy? I've seen mature grown up people (including myself, and I'd like to think of myself as being mature and grown up - except for this silly hobby of aviation photography) laughing their ass off at Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, etc. while younger kids (say, below 16-18) just don't get it at all, while I see my 15-year old daughter and her friends watching a lot of American "comedies" which I find to be pretty much on a 12-year old mentality level.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Banco

Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:04 am

Cfalk,

Don't forget that overseas you only get to see the cream of the stuff that gets made. There's a fair bit of dross as well, but it's only us that has to put up with it! Big grin

Likewise, people in the UK constantly discuss how the Americans can make great comedies like Frasier or Friends (which I hate incidentally but no matter) and we can't. Of course, go to the States and watch a lot of comedies and much of it is truly dire.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:34 am

Cfalk wrote: "Anyone notice that British TV comedy tends to be a bit more intelligent than the average American TV comedy?"

True. British comedy tends to be strongly satirical in nature. Keeping Up Appearances plays up class differences, Hot Metal makes fun of the tabloid industry, and The New Statesman and Yes, (Prime) Minister both target politics.

U.S. comedies tend to focus on personal relationships between the characters, aren't particularly satirical, and tend to be mass-produced by an entire staff of writers instead of two to four truly gifted ones. They tend to be less funny (if at all) as a result, with this problem being compensated for by strong marketing.

NJTurnpike

Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:51 am

Klmfan > "The Thin Blue Line". Rowan Atkinson played Inspector Fowler.

More recent classics...

Men Behaving Badly
Drop the Dead Donkey
One Foot in the Grave
The League of Gentlemen
People Like Us

GDB

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:06 am

Faulty Towers
Monty Python
Blackadder
The League Of Gentlemen
One Foot In The Grave
Only Fools And Horses-(The new episode was filmed yesterday onboard Concorde OAC, no I didn't get to see the actors!)
Drop The Dead Donkey
How Do You Want Me?
Men Behaving Badly
Yes Minister/Prime Minister
Spaced
Absolutely Fabulous-Series 1 and 2
The Fast Show
Harry Enfield
Porridge
Rising Damp
Dear John

NJTurnpike, they are showing The League Of Gentlemen in the US? On a cable channel?
Didn't think that would travel, I like sick humour but it took me a few times to get my head around that one!

NJTurnpike

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:32 am

This is what UK comedy we can catch in the US right now, or have been able to see fairly recently;

Absolutely Fabulous (Comedy Central, inc. 2001 season)
Coupling (BBC America, some PBS ?)
Cold Feet (Bravo)
League of Gentlemen (BBC America, previously on CC)
Yes Minister / Prime Minister (PBS)
Monty Python (BBC America, PBS)
The Fast Show (aka Brilliant on BBC America)
Men Behaving Badly (BBC America)
People Like Us (BBC America)
Fawlty Towers (PBS, BBC America)
As Time Goes By (PBS)
Are You Being Served (PBS, BBC America)
Chef! (PBS)
Whose Line..? (orig. C4 shows - Comedy Central)

Oh, and The Good Life (BA067 + 069 from LHR to PHL)

Other than that, I resort to my usual routine of buying tapes at HMV in LHR T4. Bought the first series of 'Spaced' there last year and it still rates as one of the funniest things I have ever watched (especially the Paintball episode!)

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:52 am

When booking a visit to the Boeing factory this Summer (whilst also working in Seattle-lovely city), the nice lady attempted to engage me into a converstaion regarding Coronation Street, and could I tell her what happened next? Big grin

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this programme, which also, I beleive, airs on PBS (one of the few decent American channels imo).

Anyway, a great read is 'Private Eye', and I have seen it for sale in Barnes & Noble in Chicago, Boston etc.

You really have to be up to speed with British poitics to enjoy it, but here's a taster;

On the recent rumours of a rift in the relationship between the 'vicar' (as PE refers to Tony), and Gordon Brown, the chancellor:

and

(On a recent advertisement celebrating 75 years of the Saudi monarchy (and King Fahd) in The Economist magazine:

'I am proud to announce that this issue of the Daily Gnome contains a special 24-page supplement “Saudi Arabia Today and Tomorrow”.

Compiled by independent observers (from the PR company Huff, Puff and Bogleby), the supplement shows the enormous strides that the desert kingdom has made towards the fourteenth century. Articles include photographic essays on the new democratic institutions (such as the Monarchy), the modern judicial system (including a state-of-the-art laser hand-chopping machine) and the gradual liberalising of Saudi culture which now allows women the choice of staying at home or going out to be stoned to death.

There is a particularly revealing interview with the King himself in which he speaks of his growing admiration for Mr Bush and Mr Blair whom he singles out for their courage in not mentioning Saudi Arabia’s close links with international islamic terrorism. It is a privilege to be associated with this document and an honour to take the King’s money.'

Lord Gnome

It's snobbish humour, but I love it!

Private-eye.co.uk

Cheers!

GDB

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:57 am

Do they sell 'Viz' magazine in the states?
(www.viz.co.uk)

NJTurnpike

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:19 am

In Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores, yes. I get odd looks when taking my copy to the cashier  Big grin

AWspicious

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:34 am

No one here remembers Dave Allen At Large??? It ran sometime in the early to mid eighties here in Canada.... about the same time as Benny Hill. I don't know if they got it in America, though.

AWspicious

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:37 am

.....and yes, I do find British comedy to be on a different plane (see: intellectual wit). However, I thought Frasier and Seinfeld (Third Rock from the Sun?) have a similar format. So do Woody Allen movies.

silverfox

Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:11 am

Red Dwarf
The Goons
Lots of Brit Radio progs

Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:23 am

Viz is also great!  Big thumbs up

Regards

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:22 am

I forgot about One foot in the Grave, I also love watching that...Victor is such a crack up, I hope I'm like that as an old man... Smile
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

decman

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:37 am

Keeping up Appearances

king penguin

Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:13 pm

Definitely the Goon Show. But if we're going to get into radio etc., how about ITMA, Hancock's Half Hour... i think i'm dating myself terribly... the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Then there's Beyond the Fringe, Flanders & Swann,... anybody else remember all these?

As for TV: Python -- the Buffalo PBS people didn't know what hit them when they first aired that show; Blackadder; Only Fools & Horses; Fawlty Towers; Drop the Dead Donkey stand out for me from the above lists. Something to add: The Good Neighbours. Saw some episodes again this spring when I was back in London for a while -- hadn't seen that show for yonks...

cheers,

kp

AWspicious

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:36 pm

Bloody internet on cable crap..... Let's try this again, shall we....

Anyone recall The Vicar of Dibley? It's about a female minister played by Dawn French of the French and Saunders comedy duo who gets assigned to this small English village populated by all sorts of interesting characters. Funny show.
Interesting trivia: Dawn French together with Jennifer Saunders created Absolutly Fabulous. Also, the tall blonde in AbFab once played the role of the sexy side-kick alongside Patrick McNee in The Avengers...sometime after Diana Rigg had the part.

Gunships

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:40 pm

Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Benny Hill Show
Black Adder
The Young Ones

seb146

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:55 pm

Has anyone seen the latest season of AbFab? I LOVE that series! I also enjoy Keeping Up Apperances (Bouquet Residence, lady of the house speaking....") and Are You Being Served (Are you free Mr. Humphries?) I never got League of Gentlemen. I was expecting dry humor like the shows I've listed but instead could not understand them half the time due to the accents.
Life in the wall is a drag.

AWspicious

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:06 pm

Seb146;
Turn up the volume. I find that helps  Laugh out loud

RayChuang

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:16 pm

In my personal opinion, Monty Python's Flying Circus (the greatest comedy series I've even seen) was heavily influenced by The Goon Show on British radio and the television work of Ernie Kovacs here in the USA.

The Killer Joke sketch is one of the most amazingly-conceived bit of comedy I've seen on TV ever.  Big thumbs up