Here is some background info on the Segway Human Transporter
How do you guys think that this thing will change the world?
I think that it will make a large impact on American cities with inadequate mass transport systems. Suddenly, the following barriers to mass transport are alleviated:
1) The fact that you have to put mass transit stops (Metro stations, bus stops) within walking distance of where people want to go. The radius which a mass transit stop can serve is much larger and therefore the trains and busses go faster and stop less. The initial burden of construction is also smaller.
2) Many Americans are afraid of crime associated with walking to and from bus/Metro stops. Now that you can essentially go much much faster, old women have a speed advantage over a potential mugger.
3) Mass transit vehicles would carry a lot more people if everyone was standing up. You can get your Segway onto a mass transit vehicle since most are handicap accessible. This way you have a very seamless link between private/public transportation.
A couple of things that could be improved about the machine:
1) I think that an 11 mile range is way too small. I bet that if you put a fuel cell onboard (courtesy of Manhattan Scientifics
) the device could have much longer range and no need to recharge.
2) I think that its mobility would be improved by having only one wheel. That way it could not only handle up/down slopes but side to side slopes. Such a machine could be used off prepared surfaces.
What do you guys think?