American_4275
Topic Author

35 Feared Shot In Indiana

Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:16 am

***BREAKING NEWS***

GOSHEN, Ind. (AP) - Police officers responded Thursday afternoon to reports of as many as 35 people shot in a factory in an industrial park, the city's mayor said.

Mayor Allan Kauffman said he did not know whether anyone had been killed or how serious the injuries were.

Police were working to secure the area, he said about 3:15 p.m. EST.

``They don't know if the shooter or shooters are still in the area,'' Kauffman said. ``As of this minute the area is still not secured, so they don't know if the shooter is still there or not.''

Kauffman said he did not know for certain at which factory the shooting had occurred.

Goshen General Hospital went on alert and was preparing for multiple patients in need of medical treatment, said Virginia Forgey, a hospital marketing assistant.

Forgey did not know whether anyone had come through their emergency facility.

A Goshen police dispatcher would not provide any immediate information, but said that all officers were being called in.

Officers from several departments were being sent to the scene, Indiana State Police said.

Eric505

RE: 35 Feared Shot In Indiana

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:20 am

Wow, any totals to the possible dead? Do they have the gunman in custody? Possible motives?

Very sad

Eric505
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

b757300

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:30 am

From CNN.com

A gunman went on a shooting spree in a factory at an industrial park here Thursday, killing a co-worker and wounding at least seven others during a shift-change.

Capt. Julie Dijkstra of the Elkhart County Sheriff's Department said after police stormed the Nu-Wood Decorative Millwork building they found the gunman dead with a gun near his head.

The wife of a plant employee said the gunman was fired earlier in the day. He returned with gun at shift change. Nu-Wood is a vinyl siding factory that employs 60 people.

At least four people were taken to hospitals, including a man airlifted to Fort Wayne with critical injuries. His condition later stabilized.

Another 20 to 30 people were found by police inside. A state police spokesman said three to five were "walking wounded."

Mayor Allan Kauffman earlier said he heard as many as 35 people had been shot. Initial police reports described the incident as a "mass shooting." Ambulances lined up outside the factory.

More than 100 police were on the scene, including SWAT teams using an armored vehicle to approach the building to search for the gunman. A dispatcher said police were alerted to the shooting at 2:31 p.m.

Kauffman said the industrial park houses several manufacturing plants and employs thousands of people.

Goshen is a city of about 29,000 people 100 miles east of Chicago in northern Indiana. It is the county seat of Elkhart County.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

VirginA340

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:56 am

Many people had minor injures but 3 were listed as seroius. 2 confirmed dead including the gunman
"FUIMUS"

hkgspotter1

Fri Dec 07, 2001 9:36 am

Long live the freedom to carry and buy guns in the USA.

b757300

Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:24 am

And you have no idea where he got the gun. 9 times out of 10 it is not purchased legally.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

trickijedi

Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:44 am

This is awful! I hate reading about stuff like this in the news in the morning.  Sad
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

mls515

Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:07 am

Stupid Media!

Actually, the gunman only killed himself and one other. Six others were wounded though.

JetService

Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:41 pm

I heard two critical were airlifted to Fort Wayne.
"Shaddap you!"

yyz717

Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:04 pm

This will continue to happen ever few months somewhere in the US until they come to their senses and ban gun use/ownership by civilians.

Long live the NRA. The freedom to own guns seems to outweight common sense and safety.

Yeah sure
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N400QX

Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:39 pm

Typical media to report the highest number they can get.... one murdered, one in serious condition, many "walk-away" injuries (as of the NBC newscast this evening).

>until they come to their senses and ban gun use/ownership by civilians

You know better than that-- its against the law to do that.

The right to own such weapons, by design, is more valuable than any number of human lives. Until everyone in the rest of the world whose government's are tyrannical enough to ban such weapons realize that a few lives are nothing in the great scheme of things, you'll keep spewing your ignorant crap.

Like how I use your same tone and demeanor to form my rebuttal, but somehow I just know you'll call that mean-spirited or something.....lol.

milldoh

Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:51 pm

I'm not for gun ownersip, but I think this is a bad example to try to prove that guns should be illegal. The guy had a shotgun which in Indiana are typically used for hunting.

Also, as for the media, the '35' number was the number given by the mayor and hospital administrators as the number feared dead. The media did not make this up as a sensationalization. That is reflected in the headline Up to 35 Feared Shot at Ind. Factory . And when it was reported, this was completely accurate.

Fortunately, not nearly as many people were wounded. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the people giving the information. In breaking news stories such as this, the media cannot be blamed for reporting the facts that they are given. And unfortunately, there was no way to verify it. Should they wait until the investigation has been completed, then start reporting the story? Don't be silly.

N400QX

Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:54 pm

>Also, as for the media, the '35' number was the number given by the mayor and hospital administrators as the number feared dead. The media did not make this up as a sensationalization. That is reflected in the headline Up to 35 Feared Shot at Ind. Factory . And when it was reported, this was completely accurate.

Yes, but think about this-- what if the media got all kinds of numbers (even the ACCURATE numbers), but they just reported the 35 because it was the biggest one they had heard so far? I wouldn't put it past them.

And good point on the shotgun.

milldoh

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:04 pm

Yes, but think about this-- what if the media got all kinds of numbers (even the ACCURATE numbers), but they just reported the 35 because it was the biggest one they had heard so far? I wouldn't put it past them.

N400QX: I've worked in newsrooms. Things aren't as ridiculous as people make them out to be. Any respectable journalist will check their sources, especially if they have heard conflicting reports. But in cases such as these, it is difficult, if not impossible to report everything accurately at the time the news is breaking. It is unfortunate, but true. I wish people would give the media a break. I think at the time the mayor was reporting the most accurate number.

That said, if they have the time and resources to research a story and still make mistakes, that is often unexcuseable.

N400QX

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:07 pm

Ok, I'll give you that, but to put on a headline an outrageous number that is unconfirmed....

L-188

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:13 pm

Just watch those idiots in Washington go after our civil rights again!!

I see a few have popped up on this thread Yeah sure

People that want to ban the ownership of firearms based on their own irrational fears just make me sick. Pissed
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

yyz717

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:02 am

People who insist on the proliferation of guns for their own sake make me sick (and they also contribute to the deaths of innocent Americans by encouraging a gun-culture).

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

SQA340

Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:49 am

Yeah, I live here in indy and saw it on the news.

I think the gunman shot himself.

Sun Dec 09, 2001 12:32 pm

That's why Canada exists, Yyz717. So all you liberals can sit up there in the snowy wilderness surviving off racoons and solar power, while those of us here who would like to protect our families and property from people who may have obtained firearms illegally have the right to do just that.