Barcode
Topic Author

Greetings

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:07 pm

Hullo all,

Well I've been lurking on and off for a month or so and think it's time I made my presence known.

I'm a 20 year old IT Tech support person in London UK. I make about 30 flights a year so I'm hoping I'll have something vaguely interesting to say about my obsession with planes  Smile

In five days I get to go on the Virgin Atlantic Airbus 340 300 ( LHR - LAX ) and four more flights the following week - but I'll post in the aviation forums about that.

Hoping you guys are a friendly bunch.

Cheers

Barcode

sushka

RE: Greetings

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:08 pm

Oh we are  Big thumbs up
Welcome to Airliners.net!!!
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

ILS

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forums barcode. You will love it here! Please feel free to click the little gray button that says Add To Resp. Users at the top of the screen. You can view my profile this way.  Big grin. Post away!

ILS

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:16 pm

Barcode, I am just kidding. Once you get 20 posts, you can add people to your respected users list. This means that you like these people and respect their views. If you have not looked at the forum rules yet, I highly suggest you do. Have a great stay!

sushka

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:18 pm

Ooo me too!  Big thumbs up
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Barcode
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:20 pm

I'll be looking at the dreaded rules - I have enough problems with them on the TrekBBS ( of where I'm an evil Administrator ) .... so I'm not some newbie who will annoy you all  Big grin ( I think .... )

Star Trek and planes are my two greatest obsessions - Oh I'm female BTW.

Respected users ? Hummmm, I'll have to think about that one. Thanks for the advice and welcome.

ILS

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:28 pm

There are many Star Trek fans on this website, maybe you could even entice them to come over to your other BBS.

174thfwff

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:29 pm

Hey Barcode,
On your box at your house, what do you run? Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac, Sun?
I run Win2k and Linux Mandrake 8.1

-Peace In-
174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

ILS

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:30 pm

174thfwff, what does your username stand for?

Barcode
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:34 pm

Weird - I'm guessing there's a lot of science fiction types around here as well ? Seems I've stumbled into another geek community  Big grin

The BBS I'm an Administrator at is http://www.trekbbs.com - I don't know how many of my friends there are obsessed with planes to the extent I am though. Heck, it was bad enough coming out as a Janeway fan - let alone being obsessed with travelling the skies ....

Oh at home I run Win98 on one machine, WinNT on another and another box runs Linux Mandrake under Apache - it's the e mail server in my apartment and by far the most stable thing. Why ?

ILS

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:36 pm

You definately have your share of geeks, but there are also some pretty cool people who have a life.

174thfwff

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:36 pm

My name is this.

To ILS-The 174th Fighter Wing is near my house, and I love hearing the f-16's for training and such. FF means Fire Fighter. I am a Vol. Fire Fighter at my local department. I live to protect and serve.

To Barcode-Well your an IT manager so I assumed you had at lease one box using Linux. It's a gimmie...most of the time.

lubcha132

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:44 pm

welcome! its fun here.

Barcode
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:48 pm

174th - I have Linux at home to run my e mail server. At work we all use Win2K ( I'm not entirely happy with it but I have no say in the equipment we use in this office ) ... it looks like we're all moving to XP soon ....

Oh yes, and life ? I don't have one of those or I wou;dn't be posting here  Big grin

174thfwff

Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:04 pm

Barcode,

Can you point me to a website that shows me how to host a website from my Mandrake box? I realy want to set up a webpage using my I.P.

If you don't know off the top of your head, don't bother.

-Peace In-
174th

AWspicious

Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:27 pm

Welcome.
I'm relativly new, also, but, I've been glued to this site ever since registering my membership. So many posts; So little time...
I'm not only an aviation lover, but, a Star Trek fan, as well.
By the way, that's a cool user name.

CHEERS!
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Turbolet

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:09 pm

Welcome. So, you're a great asset to the discussion forums, right  Big grin? I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here!
-turbolet

Ikarus

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:17 pm

A 21-25 year old lady in London who likes planes? Uh oh. Seems I need to comb my hair and even take that dreaded "bath" thing people have told me about...

Should I brush my teeth?

No. That would go too far... Big grin

So where was that site with all the dodgy chat-up lines used for these occassions of male-female intercommunication and social interaction?

Welcome to the forums! No geeks here! Just us aviation enthusiasts!

Regards

Ikarus

SQ325

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:26 pm

OHO I see a popularity contest rising up. There are not a lot female members around.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the forums. It is quite funny here.
Anyhow WELCOME TO THE SHOW

regards Bjoern

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 4:27 am

Apparently I'm a " great asset "  Big grin I dunno, I just sent a polite request to register figuring registration has been switched off to keep the dissidents out .....

And Ikarus - Aviation enthusiast = geek methinks

You're in London ? I live 3 minutes away from London City Airport. I have been known to walk up to the bridge across the river which overlooks the airport ( the planes come in VERY low over it ) and take a few photo's ....

I've flown in and out of City Airport myself a few times - I'm convinced it has one of the steepest take off and approaches I've ever encountered .... but that's another topic.

Cheers for the welcome - and I'm the only female here ? Surrounded by a bunch of geeky men ... oh no, whatever shall I do ...

klm672

Sun Dec 09, 2001 4:31 am

welcome aboard.

Sun Dec 09, 2001 4:37 am

In 7 days I am chugging to LAX from LHR on a Virgin bird.
Iain

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:19 am

Iainhol: Thanks for announcing your flight plans. I'll immediately inform Virgin of all the propaganda you publicize against them in these forums. Maybe your IFE will be enhanced with an "ejection" button?  Acting devilish Virgin - service that goes a bit further!

Barcode: I take offense.
Ikarus - aviation enthusiast = Normal person (rough approximation).
It is the "aviation enthusiast" bit that makes me a geek:
Normal person + aviation enthusiasm = geek (=Ikarus)

Besides, you're the one, who according to your own admittance, works in the IT industry. So who's the greater geek then? Big grin

Never been to LCY or flown out of it. Yes, I know, how dare I call myself aviation enthusiast without visiting all 5 London airports regularly etc., but there's too little time. I can see the planes approaching LCY from my flat, though, on some days. And the ones approaching LHR on most days....

And you're not the only female. Just the only one in the vicinity of London that I know of... and you're not surrounded by geeky men, but by geeky teenage boys (and me, just about to be 20 in a month, so technically not really a teen)

OK. So I brushed my teeth. Better now?  Big grin But I cancelled that dreadful wet thing, what was it called again? "bath".....

Regards

Ikarus
(geek)
(and proud of it!)

EGGD

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:25 am

and even take that dreaded "bath" thing people have told me about...

I don't get it

. Maybe your IFE will be enhanced with an "ejection" button?

I don't get it

Barcode: I take offense.
Ikarus - aviation enthusiast = Normal person (rough approximation).
It is the "aviation enthusiast" bit that makes me a geek:
Normal person + aviation enthusiasm = geek (=Ikarus)

I don't get it

OK. So I brushed my teeth. Better now? But I cancelled that dreadful wet thing, what was it called again? "bath".....

I don't get it.

Regards

Dan (38..... i mean 15 years old  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin).

p.S. Ikarus doesn't normally act like this, but he doesn't get much *ahem* female attention  Big thumbs up.

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:38 am

Shut up Dan! Big grin

Ikarus, I know you're blushing...

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:43 am

EGGD: Are you suggesting I am making a fool of myself because of the presence of a virtual female (who, as everyone knows, are guys 90% of the time)? Wrong. The following statement needed a response:

"Seems I've stumbled into another geek community "

Geeks are a very common subcategory of the human race. They can be found in the vicinity of computers, technological equipment (eg airplanes), TV series, books, maths books or other common features of everyday life that everyone else ignores. They develop an unnatural affection for these items, reducing their social interaction with the rest of their species to a minimum in order to maximize their interaction with the object of desire. Often, personal hygiene and appearance degenerate as the time spent in absence of the addictive object is painful to them. Life is based on a diet of delivered foodstuffs (pizza) and unfortunate smells in the habitat of the geek. Apart from the central object in the geek's life, his/her habitat is usually chaotic and without order or structure. Ergo: Aviation enthusiasm = symptom of geekhood. Computers, internet and airliners.net = symptom of geekhood. So the above statement was correct. Merely intended to maximize the imagery of a 10,000 strong geek community  Big grin

And the bickering between me and Iainhol has been going on for ages (the fool! he repeatedly insults Virgin Atlantic without any reasons  Pissed And then he flies on them and enjoys their service!)

Regards

Ikarus

PS: So how much *ahem* female attention have you been getting lately? Your new digital camera does not count as female!  Big grin

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:49 am

You are SUCH a sucker Ikarus! Big grin Big grin

Barcode, he's not usually like this, hes actually a cool guy, smart and funny too!  Smile

Oh and Hi!  Smile

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 5:58 am

LeftSeat86: You aren't getting EGGD's joke. I think the "I don't get it" refers to something he said earlier in the trip reports forum to me:

" and btw. that 'i don't get it' is down to your audience, you are writing clever stuff to dumb people... ! "

So he's just making fun of my humour (which is admittedly getting a bit weirder these days) and himself, of course!

So anyways. Better stop and retreat now, before someone seriously thinks I'm going positively mad. Just because I lost some of my constant depression during the past week or so and have been posting more light-hearted stuff in these forums people don't recognize me anymore.... Just look at the "Yikes! Aeroplane Guard!", "Petrified to fly", "Screeners & Uploads" threads. I am making a fool of myself everywhere, and not just here!

Ooops. Maybe that wasn't such a smart thing to say  Big grin

Regards

Ikarus

RE: Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:02 am

Ah, thats okay, just be what you want Big grin
I know you're still a cool dude...  Big grin

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:08 am

Oh yeah, Barcode, I thought it would be nice if people could attatch a face to your username, so (Look Ikarus!)

You actually don't look that bad there  Smile

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:23 am

>>Iainhol: Thanks for announcing your flight plans. I'll immediately inform Virgin of all the propaganda you publicize against them in these forums. Maybe your IFE will be enhanced with an "ejection" button? Virgin - service that goes a bit further! <<

Dude please do, you never know I actually might get exceptable service out of them this time! I am on flight 23.
Iain

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:26 am

This is too amusing - and the photo was taken of me after a night out - you know this thing called a life which most of us aren't supposed to have  Big grin

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:35 am

We're a crazy bunch eh! Big grin
I look worse after the so called "Night Out"  Smile

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:37 am

Barcode I would not worry about the photo, aslong as the girl has 2 arms and 2 legs, Ikarus will hit on her.
Iain

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:38 am

Errr, why is everyone calling me "dude"? Do I already sound like Keanu Reeves in the "Bill and Ted" movies? I better get back into my books then and design the plane I'm supposed to work on. Or else I'll go totally stupid...

Barcode: are you sure you're not studying aeronautical engineering at IC? There's someone looking similar to you in our course..... Oh, wait. You indicated you "have a life". That means you're not studying at IC, then...

Regards

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:44 am

Oh, the "acid-dreams" site looks cool, I like the layout and art :0

Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:46 am

Well what am I supposed to call you? Man? Pal? Buddy? Friend? Guy? Person?

You decide...

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:55 am

I'm not studying aeronautical engineering - I was studying Linguistics and Astronomy at the UCL until I took some time out to allegedly find myself .

Iain - too bad for Ikarus that I don't usually go for men then isn't it  Big grin

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:00 am

>>Iain - too bad for Ikarus that I don't usually go for men then isn't it<<

I do not understand what you are saying; Do you go after boys?
Iain

KROC

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:05 am

Mingya. How sad. A female joins the forums, and all the little hormone crazed teenagers no nuts! Anyway, I'm one of the resident loudmouths of the forum, welcome.

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:19 am

Iain - I usally go after women my dear. Few men interest me in that way - I require outstanding looks, a nice job and sanity  Big grin I never say no ... so who knows ...

Hi KROC

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:36 am

>>I usally go after women my dear. Few men interest me in that way - I require outstanding looks, a nice job and sanity<<

I still do not understand. What do you mean you go after women?

Women + Man = Baby

Women + Man + Baby = Family

Women + Women = Do not Calculate

Iain

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:43 am

Errrrr do I need to spell this out ? I assure you a woman + a woman does indeed calculate  Smile

I've had few relationships with men - but have only ever been seriously involved with women - if you want a label use " gay " - no big deal. I'm here because of my interest in aviation - not to pander to the desires of a few teenagers or oversexed men  Big grin

Cheers

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:51 am

I still do not understand. That is fine you are gay, especially considering most people in UK are miserable when it is cold; I applaud you for being so happy!
Iain

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:56 am

^ Oh come on, you can't be that dense  Big grin But yes, I am happy ..

KROC

Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:59 am

You haven't seen dense until forum member We're Nuts tries to talk American Politics!

Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:08 am

I am not dense, just incredible pure!
Iain

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:21 am

... and I'm as pure as the driven slush I assure you ...

Ikarus

Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:02 pm

Laugh out loud Would not have thought I'd see Iainhol try to make an even bigger fool of himself than me (or so I am told, although I still deny it myself) in this thread! Iainhol, go watch "Chasing Amy" and dream on!

And even one of my evil nemesises (nemesi? nemesee? nemesisen?) joins the discussion! Wow! KROC, nice to see ya making fun of us young 'uns again! But rest assured, I have merely been in an extraordinarily good mood recently, so the presence of a female user has little to do with my foolishness! Hey, just to be nice I'll even say that being part of the military institutions isn't an indicator of stupidity - being part of the army is...  Big grin  Acting devilish

Regards

Ikarus

Ikarus

RE: London City Airport?

Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:24 am

Hi Barcode

I'm reviving this already-dead thread for a selfish purpose: As you said you live near LCY, could you give me any hints how to get there and where there might be good places to go spotting / taking pics (maximum zoom 300mm)? I know some webpages for LHR, but none for LCY. Thought I might go there as well as to LHR for a change once this term is finished...

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ikarus