Become More British!

Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:05 am

All ethnic minorities have a duty to develop a "sense of belonging" in Britain, Home Secretary David Blunkett said.He believes that immigrants must help to ensure that their children and grandchildren grow up feeling British.

Mr Blunkett was speaking ahead of the publication of two reports into this summer's race riots in the north of England.

Read More

It seems that there are a few immigrants that do not care about British culture, or have any respect for the countries that make up Great Britian.

When war started out in Afganistan a lot of immigrants where on the streets (of Britian) recruiting for the Taleban. There where problems with them in the North earlier this year and race riots persued. Many of them form ghetto's and seperate themselves from the Brits. They have changed laws like our tradition school uniform, and there are many other similar things. The most disturbing thing is that they have also had conferences about over throwing our government and making the Great Britian an Islam nation.

There are quite a few (I have friends who are some) that condem the behaviour stated above, and fit into society, learn about a culture, and share in the British way of life. However there are some that fight against us!!
I know from my personal experience of moving to America, I do my best to beld into the culture. I celebrate July 4th, drink american beer, hit on American girls (quite successfully I must add), etc.
Iain

OzarkD9S

RE: Become More British!

Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:15 pm

i concur, if you can't assimilate don't emigrate!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

G-KIRAN

Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:27 pm

Totally agree ol'chap!Jolly good show,what!

There are quite a few (I have friends who are some) that condem the behaviour stated above, and fit into society, learn about a culture, and share in the British way of life.

Thats me!! Big thumbs up

...over throwing our government and making the Great Britain an Islam nation....
I dont think that an islamic mullah would like to be king,then he would have to be head of the church of england! Wink/being sarcastic.I saw something on CNN about some muslims who want to make the US islamic.In your dreams ayatollah!

Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:37 pm

Yep, nothing really new here, except for the fact that Blunkett feels he's more of a cuddly figure, and can get away with what might have been slightly more controversial had the same remarks been made by a Tory MP....

It's also (imo) a strategy to converge opinion on Britain's policy towards certain other countries & reduce 'belief & values' diversity before it becomes dangerously out of line with democratic principles (I'm talking religious fundamentalism here-no place for those kind of people in Britain or any other democracy).

There's a line to be drawn; yes, support Britain as a democratic & free n-state, learn the language, attempt to understand the way it works here, and then that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

I guess it's more complicated than this; a lot of religious groups claim they are discriminated against because of their beleiefs, when all it is is geographic inequality in quality of life within Britain (North/South divide etc.)

To be honest, I really dunno though.....this problem of cultures & beliefs clashing has been around for ages...

Regards

Stretch 8

Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:01 am

If I were to move to the UK, of course I would have my teeth yellowed and crooked, enlarge my ears, and shorten the old John Thomas. (BTW Iain, do you play up your UK accent when do hit on American bimbos?)
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Banco

Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:06 am

Stretch 8, Is that as opposed to currently being obese, wearing bright check shirts, having no intelligence or culture whatsoever, living on a diet of hamburgers and thinking that if you sail out of sight of the US coast you'll fall off the end of the world?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Stretch 8

Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:09 am

Banco, easy does it bloke, I was just kidding! I love your country and its people (even the A.net dweebs).
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Banco

Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:12 am

Stretch 8, I know you were! Sorry, if you thought I was being serious! Big grin

GDB

Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:57 am

Joking he may have been, but Stretch 8 quite accurately described members of the Royal Family, but they aint British! Big grin

Banco

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:01 am

That's true! Big grin

Reminds me of the moment in Blackadder Goes Forth when Baldrick says "I'm as English as Queen Victoria!", and Blackadder replies: "So, your father was German, your Grandfather was German, you married a German and you're half German!"

dhl123sg

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:28 am

Just another fascist and racist attempt by British people to impose their way of life over other people,even though their no longer a world,yet alone european power! Pissed  Pissed

Banco

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:42 am

What ARE you talking about?

CPDC10-30

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:47 am

It is attitudes like this that persuaded my father to leave the UK permanently in 1968  Smile

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:48 am

I would ignore Dhl......it's quite clear he has no clue what he's talking about.....  Insane

Regards

GDB

Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:57 am

All David Blunkett is trying to do is make UK citizenship for immigrants more like the US.
So, DH1123sg, that makes the US the facist/racist bunch right?
Better a responsible politican makes the running in this debate than just letting the thugs of the BNP exploit problems, which has been allowed to happen in the past.

heavymetal

Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:43 am

Just another fascist and racist attempt by British people to impose their way of life over other people,even though their no longer a world,yet alone european power

HUH!?

Let me get this straight...it's racist for the British to hope that those settling in their country from somewhere else would assimilate into the culture of Britain?

Why is it that whenever a Western first world culture demands that its' culture be respected, it's racism....yet when the same act comes out of cultures in the third world, we're suppose to fall over ourselves 'respecting their traditions'? It's bald faced hypocrisy on the part of the later, nothing more.

Whatever. In the case of both the UK and the USA, it's really our own damned fault. We cherish diversity, but as part of that value we invite into our cultures people who don't....who are as openly racist and xenophobic as the worst insults hurled at us.

In any case, in

Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:35 am

It is funny all the British people agree with what Blunkett said, however Americans who obviously has not experienced life over here think that Blunkett is out of line.

England is a soft spot for asylum seekers, there where 80,000 applications over the Summer months (June-Sept).

Our government and the people (for the most part) here do not mind people moving over here, the problem is the people who come do not try to fit in, and just clash with the citizens! In France they teach you about French Culture, and at schools you are not allowed to where vails, or any other religous, cultural thing that makes you difference then anyone else!
Iain
PS Stretch 8 - Ofcourse, and use extra Britishisms!

CPDC10-30

Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:43 am

In France they teach you about French Culture

Now this has to be one for the record books...a Brit extolling the virtues of the French???  Smile

Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:07 am

Hey, count me in too! I *love* the French, their food & culture.

They have *THE* most beautiful and glorious city of all......I just can't get enough of it; my dream would be to live in the Musee D'Orsay  Big thumbs up

Soon as I've finished my degree, I'm seriously thinking of moving either to France or Italy.

Regards

NUAir

Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:58 am

You want to move to france!! hahaha  Smile

That made my day sooooooooo much better.

I think everyone dreams of living in France until they come here and realize that there are French people!

Besides even if you start now you will be long dead by the time you get through all the beurocracy to get a paper that says you applied to get another paper that you can get after an interview that you cant go to until you have another paper that you get after going to the interview a.k.a The Carte de sejour

And dont think about getting a car/house/insurance/job if you dont know how you spent every dime you have ever earned since you were 12......

Trust me France is a great place to visit!!!!

Smile
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:45 am

Though I do agree with Blunkett's comments, I despise the Conservative overtone the comments have been given. Urhghgh conservatives.

I think he's right though. If my parents expected supermarket people to be able to speak Vietnamese and take some foreign currency, I don't think the cashier would be too impressed. I think we should have a harmonised nation. Look how former colonies have done it!

Hear hear for the Labour Party

Labour - Building a Fairer Britain
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

EGGD

Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:55 am

Just another fascist and racist attempt by British people to impose their way of life over other people,even though their no longer a world,yet alone european power

Just another fascist and racista attempt by an American Jackass who knows nothing about the world outside his living room to stir up trouble here!  Angry  Angry

G-KIRAN

Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:25 pm

Just another fascist and racist attempt by British people to impose their way of life over other people,even though their no longer a world,yet alone european power!

Typical yankee trailer park trash bulls**t! Nuts  Nuts  Nuts

By the way Banco you got the Blackadder IV slightly wrong.It goes something like this:
Capt Darling:Look I'm as British as Queen Victoria
Capt Blackadder:So your fathers German,youre half German and you married a German!
Capt Darling:Look for christs sake I am not a German spy!!

mls515

Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:38 pm

Just another fascist and racist attempt by British people to impose their way of life over other people,even though their no longer a world,yet alone european power!

About the dumbest thing I've read all day. The UK has nukes, by the way and sit on the UN Security Council. I'd say it's pretty safe to say they are still a world power.

And them expecting their immigrants to assimilate into British culture is no different from what we expect of ours here in the USA.

mls515

ryanb741

Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:50 pm

LOL!!! What ARE you talking about? How dare us Brits demand that whilst we bend over backwards to ensure that other ethnicities are assimilated into our culture , that we should ask them to show a little respect for our own culture and try and integrate into our previously harmonious society. How dare we complain about naturalised British citizens using British taxpayer's money to fund terrorist groups. How dare we complain when certain Moslems in the UK would rather support fellow Muslim 'brothers and sisters' around the world (regardless of whether they are brainwashed murderous retards or not) rather than support the country that has probably saved them and their family from these aforementioned murderous retards that they are now tryiung to support!

I think we should all go out and knock down every church and replace it with a mosque right now!

I don't think it's too much to ask that people coming to live in the UK should:

A) Learn English
B) Get a job and WORK rather than live off benefits that they have not contributed to
C) Not be terrorists
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

dhl123sg

Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:00 pm

Please,the empire has gone and you guys keep on living in the past.Blair is just some butler to Bush and the Queen and the Changing of the guard is just some theme park gimmick! Innocent

Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:42 pm

>>Blair is just some butler to Bush<<
I think it is the other way around, so far (keywords) Bush has listened and done everything Blair has said! Also remember Blair Force one is way cooler then your Air Force one!
Iain

CPDC10-30

Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:47 pm

I think it is the other way around, so far (keywords) Bush has listened and done everything Blair has said!

Name a few points please.

Banco

Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:12 am

Yes, DHL123sg, the empire has gone. Thank you for paying such close attention to global events. No less authority than the former US Ambassador to the Court of St James, Raymond Seitz even expressed admiration for the largely honourable manner in which it was (voluntarily) dissolved.

Regardless, imperial history is of no relevance to this thread, which concerns a nation's right to uphold certain beliefs within its own borders. As a citizen of a democratic and friendly nation you have the right to criticise actions which the UK may or may not take. However, to simply refer back to irrelevant historical events merely serves to highlight your own ignorance.

Have you been upset by the British in any way? Are you one of those VERY strange people who believe that the Royal Family is some kind of mafia seeking to dominate the free world? Are you so naiive as to not see that at some indeterminate point in the future the US also will not be pre-eminent in the world? That is not an anti-American view, just that all nations rise and fall. It is how you handle that which is important.

At this point in time, the UK is trying to cope with an unprecedented desire for asylum from refugees around the world. There is already a highly multicultural society in being; the result of which has generated difficulties. As an American you of all people should be aware that this is not an easy issue. In common with the US, we are struggling with the problems that this creates, whilst at the same time celebrating the diversity that it brings us. If you wish to make a point that will assist us (or criticise us) in this, as a number of your compatriots have done, you are most welcome. If you wish to simply stand on the sidelines shouting that Britannia no longer rules the waves, you may find that we have already worked that out for ourselves.

GDB

Dhl123sg

Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:12 am

Actually, you have a point that's relevant to today's events.
UK defence chiefs are concerned that just leaving Afghanistan after the Al-Queda network has been destroyed, letting it return to anarchy, will only let future terrorists, and/or a reconstituted Taliban, take over again.
But the US forces don't do 'peacekeeping'.
Experience in the 1950s/60s and 70's against Communist terrorists in Malaya, Borneo and Oman taught us that ensuring a stable country comes out of a conflict is as important as a 'body count'.
And we won those conflicts, few civilivan casaulties, few UK/Commonwealth service casaulties. Not heard of these conflicts? Not surprising, many in the UK haven't either. Better to win discreetely than lose but make lots of movies about it 30 years later though.
The benefit of this experience was passed on to our US allies when they got involved in a place called Vietnam, sadly they didn't listen.
It also appears that UK SAS troops have so far come closest to getting
Bin-Laden, although as I write this he may have been buried by a 'Daisy Cutter'.
And we're Facists? Over-used word, the UK was fighting the real Facists while many in the US, like Lindburgh and Joe Kennedy, were going around singing Hitler's praises.
Oh, and this theme park is the 4th largest ecomony in the world.

heavymetal

Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:01 am

Are you so naiive as to not see that at some indeterminate point in the future the US also will not be pre-eminent in the world?

Are we? Were we? I think most Americans would agree to the fact that we are A first world developed nation, not the first world developed nation.

dhl123sg

Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:22 pm

Better to win discreetely than lose but make lots of movies about it 30 years later though.
We kicked the vietcong all the way to mars in Vietnam.It was the fault of the southern vietnamise froces that the US had to pull out.Besides the 55000 soldiers that were killed,died for a great cause. Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Yes, DHL123sg, the empire has gone.
About time that you toffs admited that your some 3rd world,backwater country stuck on the edges of europe.So proud of the stiff upper lips now? Big thumbs up Big thumbs up

Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:09 pm

BTW, to sensible users of the forum: please don't rise up to DHL's bait!  Big grin

Regards

Banco

Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:09 pm

Heavymetal, that comment was not addressed to a sensible person such as yourself, but to one who is not.

Cheers,

Banco.

Superfly

Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:19 pm

Can you British take the band 'Green Day' off our hands?

They sing with fake British accents yet they are from Berkeley, California. (over 10,000 miles from Britan)

In fact, a lot of poser punk bands sung with fake British accents!
Send them all to Liverpool! Big grin

Bring back the Concorde

eal401

Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:27 pm

No thanks, we don't want them! Well, I don't anyway!

And Capt.Picard, can I not rise just a little bit to DHL 123 sg? I only want to call him braindead trailer trash scum once.

Ooops.

Banco

Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:36 pm

No, EAL401, you can't.  Big grin Big grin

G-KIRAN

Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:20 pm

I only want to call him braindead trailer trash scum once.
Dont give the people in the trailer park a bad name! Big grin

As for dhl123sg: Yawn Insane Yawn

eal401

Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:31 pm

OK I won't then!

Big thumbs up

Delboy

Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:55 am

Thank God we have a politician who is prepared to say what a lot of people think.

Lets get the record straight, I'm British and proud of it. I'm not xenophobic or a racist. It doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is as long as you fit into OUR society.

What pisses me off is schools in England who allow the first choice language to be Urdu/Hindu whatever, when there are English children attending and for there to be ethnic assemblies for the children. Sorry thats a big NO NO. If the school was purely ethnic, fair enough.

Look at the statistics for the pickpockets who frequent Oxford Street on a Saturday afternoon. Kosovans mainly, Romanian gypsies, the list is endless. Personally I would employ the '3 strikes and you are out' method. It wouldn't stop them all but it would certainly reduce the burden of paying benefits to the endless streams of scroungers Britain seem only too willing to let in.

As for the scumbags that went to fight for the Taliban, easy. Don't let the bastards back onto British soil. They were so keen to take up the cause in the name of Bin Laden, let them rot in one of the many B52 created residences that now exist in Kabul.

GDB

Dhl123sg

Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:45 am

Ypu've not changed your username to Cartman yet? Come on, hurry up.

eg777er

Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:14 am

It's my mission in life to take my Driving theory test in all available languages. I think there are 20+.

That is how useless it has become.