PanAm747
Topic Author

The Future Of TVs (HDTV And Plasma)

Tue Dec 18, 2001 9:34 am

Does anyone know the year that all networks must broadcast in ONLY HDTV?

Does anyone know about plasma screens? Are they worth the cost?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

McRingRing

RE: The Future Of TVs (HDTV And Plasma)

Tue Dec 18, 2001 9:41 am

I know that all broadcasting "must" be digital by 2006. Like every other mandate for digital television, this date will probably pushed back. This does not necessarily mean HDTV, but eventually it will.

As for plasma, if you can afford it, YES. All the plasma TV's I have seen are outstanding - better than regular HDTVs.
B==============) ~~~~

lehpron

Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:28 pm

But plasma screens are pricy!

When do you think we'll be able to have 3D televisions, i.e. holographic screens? I know I'm not blowing smoke, I read about it last year.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:36 pm

The Japanese AV makers are pushing Plasma big time, they anticipate that there'll be huge growth for this product when they can drive down the cost. Today in Japan the price of plasma TVs is roughly 20,000 yen for 1", and their short-term goal is to take that down to 10,000 yen.

Sharp has already said their TV lineup will be entirely LCD and Plasma in a year or two. Those who haven't had much bearing on the market, like Pioneer and Fujitsu, are hoping to make some kind of a comeback with plasma TVs.

Just a blurb on this topic.

macyjet

Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:08 am

The mandate is that all stations boadcast in digital by 2006. This not HDTV automatically. Some networks (Fox) have stated that they will for the time being, only broadcast in 480p which is enhanced definition. On the plasme sets, they do look very good but I will not go as far as to say they look better than projaectors. These sets have a hard time reproducing black which is a very important colour if wou wish to get a really rich picture. Oh and I think they are worth the cost just for they 'coolness' factor.

Klaus

Wed Dec 19, 2001 3:32 am

It might be worth to remember that these are very early flat screens and it´s extremely likely that the prices will plummet to a (small) fraction over the coming years.

So I wouldn´t buy a plasma (very low contrast) or LCD (small size) set at this time unless money was really no objection whatsoever and having the latest gadget was imperative.  Wink/being sarcastic

In Europe, the last analog TV ground transmitters are expected to go down in 2010. Digital satellite TV is already available, so it´s "just" about the rest of the chain. There probably will be converters for people who still want to use their old TV sets, however...  Wink/being sarcastic

Analog FM radio is also scheduled to be replaced around the same time frame. That bugs me a little more...

david b.

Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:05 am

holographic TV...get sorrounded by the action....3D all the way baby  Big thumbs up
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

hoons90

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:34 pm

in korea there are hdtv for KBS, MBC
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.