MalibuAir
Topic Author

Wow, Change In Mind Of Future Career, Amazing

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:09 am

Ok, for the longest while I thought i wanted to live up to my parents, and become a doctor, as they both were, and dad still is. But, recently, I have the urge to become a high school math teacher. I know, it is very weird, who would want to become a doctor, then change to a teacher? I think I just realized maybe being a doctor isn't for me, and being a teacher is. I alsoi think my math teacher this year has had a big part in me wanting to become a tacher too. I just thought I'd share that.

dragogoalie

RE: Wow, Change In Mind Of Future Career, Amazing

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:33 am

Do what you want to do, not what your parents want you to do. Thats cool that you want to be a teacher. Not too many people want to do that with thier lives. Good luck eh.
--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

Confuscius

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:45 am

Monetary reward for doctors comes much later; after medical school, internship and residency. Finally when you start your own private practice, then you worry about malpractice suits, HMOs, PPOs, HCFA, FDA, DEA, etc., etc., etc. Big grin

Oh yeah, paying off student loans. Big grin

BTW, I not a doctor.  Big thumbs up
Ain't I a stinker?

desertjets

Thu Dec 20, 2001 1:58 pm

Trust me, you will change your career goals many times in your life. But better now then later. Plenty of older folks still don't know what they want to do when they grow up, nevermind that they have been working for 30 years.

I have roomates planning on going into medical school and it is a long road. Undergraduate pre-med curiculum is not easy and very demanding. Getting into medschool itself is becoming increasingly hard. And for many the rewards in medicine (personal and financial) are just not there anymore under increasingly managed care schemes.

But since you're still in high school, you are aren't you, don't worry about it. Explore as much as you can and you'll find something you will like.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

cba

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:13 pm

Do what you want, it's your decision, not your parents'.

EIPremier

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:24 pm

I also think my math teacher this year has had a big part in me wanting to become a tacher too.

In no way do I want to talk you out of this, but I think that perhaps you should wait a while before deciding whether this is the career path you want to take. It is always possible that after you have graduated from high school and moved on to college, the idea of becoming a high school teacher may no longer seem as appealing. The reason I say this is because a person who wants to become a teacher needs to be able to discern as to whether he/she possess a genuine desire to educate others, or whether he/she is just a student who wishes he/she had the same kind of authority/knowledge as a teacher.

Again, these are just thoughts, but I don't think it ever hurts to keep an open mind to new possiblities. Certainly, chances are that you will consider alternative career options as you face new challenges/opportunities in life.

SophieMaltese

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:40 pm

I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up and I'm almost 30 years old... Do what makes you happiest.

mls515

Thu Dec 20, 2001 4:35 pm

EIPremier-
You sound wise beyond your years, at least to someone who is only a few years older than you anyway.

MalibuAir-
Go with the math teacher thing if that is what you want to do, but don't be afraid to change your mind. Pay attention to what EIPremier said. When I entered college I just knew I wanted to be an engineer. Changed my major after the first semester.

Metwrench

Thu Dec 20, 2001 4:41 pm

SophieMaltese,

I beat you by a couple of years, I was 25 when I made the final plunge.

If you are in your teens, live long and party. If you survive that, then you can think about the long term.

No regrets.

Turbolet

Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:51 am

Hmm...
My dad is a doctor, my mum is a teacher. I'm 15 and what do I want to do? Neither of their jobs, for certain, and I actually don't know exactly as yet, although it should be important in two years time. My choice of subjects hints at certain areas, though: I chose Pure Maths and English at Advanced Level, Physics, Accounting and Computing at Intermediate Level. I'm mostly into Business, Management etc., that's what my career will probably be. If I were to stay at University of Malta, I'd go for the BSc (Business and Computing) Course. But since I most probably won't be doing university here, God knows how I'll end up...
-turbolet

heavymetal

Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:56 am

I'm thinking of that commercial....the kid mulling over being a teacher, and the narrative going something like..."They want me to be a doctor, because without doctors, where would good health come from...and the kid says yeah, but without teachers, where would doctors come from?"

Very powerful. Go for it, Malibu!