FlyBoeing
Topic Author

Are You Ashamed Of Certain Parts Of Your Country?

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:01 pm

I sure am. Here are the three parts of the U.S I'm most ashamed of:

1) Puerto Rico. That place is where I've found categorically the WORST drivers I've ever driven among. They tailgate, they drive in the rain without lights, and the sheer number of cars with dents in them reveals a very low level of automotive skill.

Poor driving skill only keys into further indictments of Puerto Rico as a part of the U.S. I've noticed that they seem ungrateful for the disproportionate benefits they take from being part of the U.S. They castigate the government for bombing Vieques but refuse to become fully a state and bound by federal taxation, etc. Their women have a habit of growing their fingernails to the point at which no useful work (outside of bed) can be accomplished. To that end, they breed at TREMENDOUS rates, burdening their own (and the rest of the U.S') welfare system and creating a demographic majority that forces the rest of us to follow what they do.

2) California. This state is SO big that every Presidential Candidate has to basically go over there and perform fellatio, ignoring the rest of the U.S and smaller states. The state is home to Lefties like John Walker and Berkeley. It's home to Hollywood, the most insubstantial and useless part of the U.S where style and superficialness is everything and substance means very little.

3) Vermont and Connecticut These states are filled with people who exist in a little self-satisfied world, unwilling to change or achieve substance to their economies. Vermont seems to pride itself on "cuteness" - i.e, preventing meaningful industry and commerce from ever taking root in the state and damning it to a single path of attracting WASPy tourists from places like Connecticutt. Look at the Communist zoning laws (no houses on ridgelines, no Non-Victorian architecture) and obscene taxation that occurs in Vermont and you'll see a poseur, a People's Republic where only one form of organization - the small village - is allowed to exist.

Connecticut is damned in my book for basically trumpeting the fact that they're the richest state in the U.S (finally New Jersey took that away from them) and failing to note that they're the richest state because rich people live there and commute to New York, not because any money is generated there. Everyone I know from Connecticut speaks with a sort of self-satisfied accent as if they have some sort of superiority over everyone else. Everyone from Connecticutt has family that came on the Mayflower. They pretend they have a status that they don't have. I would like to say that the emperor is naked. Connecticut is a money slurper with towns like Greenwich taking the money from other places with industry and commerce and spending it on their useless rich boy lifestyles.

lubcha132

RE: Are You Ashamed Of Certain Parts Of Your Country?

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:07 pm

my addition:

Florida: there are some skeevy places there. of course, there are some really nice places too. stay out of Desoto county and polk has some creepy spots too.

Trvlr

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:29 pm

Of course I'm ashamed of certain parts of the US, as anyone should be ashamed of certain parts of their country.

The parts I'm ashamed of are the run-down & crime-ridden areas, and those places where development has either been foolishly undertaken or, not undertaken where it should have been.

It's simply stupid to condemn an entire state or geographical region...that shows a lack of proper thought towards the matter.

Aaron G.

CPDC10-30

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:34 pm

I'm ashamed of certain parts of my own city, Toronto where gangs have gone out of control and the police do little about them. I also feel depressed that there are so many homeless people on the streets.

I'm ashamed of the right-wing bigots in the west who think they are smarter than the rest of the country just because they are lucky enough to have oil exports to pad their budgets.

Many Canadians are ashamed of Newfies...but I love them personally...they have a great sense of humour...as do Quebecers.

PanAm747

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:54 pm

"Coal Country USA" it is sad that one of the world's wealthiest nations has so many people living in poverty in Kentucky, West Virginia, etc..
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

N400QX

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:54 pm

Ashamed of parts of my country? Hmm...

--crime-ridden areas
--Berkely (you would think they are a PRC annex!)
--Hollywood
--the name-calling, race card-pulling idiots

I'll keep thinking.  Big grin

BUT, our great republic is still great, despite some things that are wrong. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

N400QX

Superfly

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:55 pm

I agree with Tvlr.
I am also most ashamed of the Deep South where they insist on holding on to an 18th Century way of thinking. There are many parts of the south that is "foolishly undertaken or, not undertaken where it should have been."
Texas and Utah are a bit of an embarrassment too.

FlyBoeing:
Look at the Congressional leadership of both parties!
How many come from California?
As far as the Presidential elections, we haven't had a real race since 1988. GOP candidates no longer waste there money here anymore because they are guaranteed an asswippin' at the polls.
 Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:58 pm

N400QX:
<>i>the name-calling, race card-pulling idiots

Are you ashamed of yourself?  Confused

You are very guilty of that yourself.
Why do you think Johan locked up your last 'race' thread?
 Insane
Bring back the Concorde

N400QX

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:01 pm

>Are you ashamed of yourself?
>You are very guilty of that yourself.
>Why do you think Johan locked up your last 'race' thread?

Um, I don't believe I was the one pulling the race card there. Or calling names. Ok, called the kid a terrorist, but if you fly a plane into a building, mimicking terrorists, I DO consider you a terrorist.

b757300

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:20 pm

Hey Superfly, come to Texas anytime you want and I'll be happy to show you that we live in the 21st century.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Hoffa

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:33 pm

Why should the South (to take one example) be viewed as an embarrasment? Are we basing this on ingrained stereotypes or facts here people?

Personally, I detest Vermont and anywhere else in the US where women aren't shaving their legs as a matter of habit.

b757300

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:44 pm

Superfly doesn't like the South, Texas, and Utah because we are conservative. He prefers to hang out on the Left coast.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

N400QX

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:51 pm

LOL... although I really like my little corner of the Left Coast, I do really enjoy states like Idaho and Utah. And I don't really like the stereotypes, either. Oh well, we know who is really right and thats all that matters, right?  Laugh out loud

ILuvYak40

Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:39 pm

Definitely those areas that are defined as slums and/or ghettos. Living in Cleveland, I have seen many of these. But the ones in Cleveland aren't what really put me on edge... the "ghettos" here, although rundown, poor, and mostly minority-based, (i.e. fitting the stereotype of a slum or ghetto), are among the safest such areas in the nation. It's high crime, violent areas in general that worry me... the ones found in L.A., D.C., Chicago, Atlanta, and to a lesser extent, in Cleveland.

Having spent a month in Germany over the summer (in the Munich vicinity studying abroad actually), I wondered why the US can't be more like Germany. The city of Munich has hardly a slum, and it seems everybody had money to feed and shelter their families. Of course, as a friend of mine there explained, unemployment packages are very generous - so generous that many Germans find it easier to be unemployed than to seek work!!! In addition, Munich is the richest city in Germany, and one of the top five richest in Europe. Now Berlin has quite a few slum areas (at least relatively).

VirginA340

Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:47 pm

FlyBoeing I agree with you on Conneticut and Vermont. Living in Brooklyn you see the difference. The saying is once you get past Poughkeepsie and you go farther north towards Albany then that's were it gets like Vermont and Connecticut. Many people of the 5 boroughs are down to earth (except for the rich snobs in Park Ave) and those from an area in NJ called Morris County NJ. My parents live there and the people are down right snobby esp in the rich towns. There are a few working class towns that do have a good majority of Puerto Ricans that do act like that but the ones I mostly met are nice and do care about the US and DO want to blend in.

I agree with you about the Berkly Liberals out in California. Just look how messed up certain areas in SFO is due to their ilk. LA ain't no better and both cities are getting high in crime and SFO is getting polluted like LA. With LA all you have to do is look at it from Mt Baldy and you can see smog all around the city. And I though the smog in Midtown was bad.

But is Puerto Rico really that bad? I did go there once and did see a few of those problems but Fly Boeing is it really that bad?

"FUIMUS"

ryanb741

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:01 pm

Yes.

I am embarassed about:

Bradford and Oldham - race problems
Much of the rest of the North Of England - grotty and full of poor people  Big thumbs up
Newcastle - stupid accents  Big thumbs up
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

David_itl

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:14 pm

Ryanb741

Are you insinuating that

a) London and Southern England has no race problems?
b) London and Southern England has no grotty poor people?
c) London and Southern England have no stupid accents?

The biggest problem Britain has in the mentality that London is the only place which is worthy of having money, events, modern buildings, etc. put there. For example, the BBC's trailer on sport that they are to cover this year lasts about 2 minutes but there is NO mention of the Commonwealth Games. For heaven's sake, this is the 3rd or 4th biggest sporting event in the world and the BBC is the host broadcaster. Are they ashamed to publicise it?

I would suggest that you, the BBC and Southerners in general try to get past Watford Gap and see what's on offer up here!

David/MAN: 197 and counting to an event the BBC doesn't think is worth mentioning

Banco

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:18 pm

Nice one, Ryan. Insult half the country!

I'm ashamed of certain parts of Glasgow. How a rich country like Britain allowed those levels of poverty to develop is a national disgrace.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ryanb741

RE: David_itl, Banco

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:25 pm

Please note the  Big thumbs up after my latter 2 comments.

Big thumbs up

I still stand by what I said about Bradford/Oldham though.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Russianplnelvr

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:50 pm

I'm ashamed of southern California. Hollywood and Orange County, to be specific. Everyone is only concerned with themselves.
HOLLYWOOD: In my opinion it is HELL ON EARTH. Its only MY OPINION, so dont lash out at me. This is the place for idiots and posers. Almost everyone is full of Sh*t and hardly any brains. I really do not understand why people dream of this place. If your not rich and pretty, nobody likes you. Everyone thinks they know everything too.

ORANGE COUNTY: The landscape my look nice, but thats it! Residents are extremely rude and cocky for reasons I don't understand. Its full of mindless idiots. Here is what I mean: It woundn't occur to most people to realize that there is a world outside their own. They only think about themselves and believe what they are told. The teens are extremely unintelligent. The average O.C. resident wouldn't be able to discuss international matters, because they're only concerned with their houses, minivans, and bank accounts.

The idea of having an open mind doesn't exist. If you want to be cool, then lower your Honda Civic, listen to Jay-Z or Linkin Park, go clubbing, wear your little backstreet boy haircut with pride, and follow every other trend out there.

----this is just my personal opinion. if you dont agree with me, thats fine, but there's no use in starting an argument because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.------

Goodbye

RE: Are You Ashamed Of Certain Parts Of Your Count

Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:51 pm

Australia

1. The appaling treatment of the refugees that seek asylum here.
2. The disgusting racism that still goes on, no matter what our government says.

Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:36 pm

David_itl

I thought the biggest problem facing Britons, is that they think they still have an empire. I mean c'mon...a few small islands in the Caribbean and South Atlantic don't constitute an empire  Laugh out loud

Goody

Add to that the appalling treatment/conditions which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are forced to live under. Third world conditions at their worst.

Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:56 pm

TRL and whoever attends it. MTV VJ's. Micheal Jackson. John Travolta. CNN. Public Schools. Jessie Jackson. Al Sharpton. Faith Healers. Woody Allen. O.J. Simpson. Clinton. NBA. Carrot Top.

I think that sums it up. I could probably live with all of em' but Carrot Top.

eal401

Re:David_itl

Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:25 pm

I'm a born and bred Southerner, now live in Preston, Lancashire. Pretty far north of Watford and no desire to go back down to the snotty South!! Besides, here I can afford a decent, brand new 3-bed house, in Winchester where I grew up I could possibly buy a bedsit. Suits me here!!

However, parts of my country I'm ashamed of;

Burnley, Bradford and Oldham - packed with Nazi scum.
Blackpool - the UK's biggest tourist attraction, how embarrassing!
London - for being arrogant, capital or not!

Parts of my country I'm proud of;

Lake District,
Peak District,
Lancashire countryside,
New Forest,

Plenty more in both catergories.

727LOVER

Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:00 pm

Yeah, the Republican part!  Laugh out loud
Love Trumps Hate

RE: Are You Ashamed Of Certain Parts Of Your Count

Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:01 pm

B757300,

Superfly would rather go to - and speaks more highly of - 19th century Cuba, the second poorest nation in North America (by its own design mind you), than visit a progressive and modern Texas.

BCal Dc10

Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:03 pm

I'm ashamed of the M4 that goes into London from Heathrow, to the west of the capital. It has a bus lane on it where lane 3 should be.

Thanks to the deranged premier of this country and his big fat deputy Johnny 2 Jags. People coming into London from Heathrow for the first time stuck in traffic must think its a very wierd place to have a bus lane on a motorway.

Shameful. IMO.

Lowsonboy

Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:44 pm

If you got a bus I'm sure you wouldn't agree!

Banco

Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:56 pm

The buses are empty most of the time. And since the "bus lane" only continues for a few miles it just gets jammed up a little further down, whilst the cars are jammed up a little further back.

This is a typical PR exercise - "oh, aren't we good, we're creating a bus lane, we're SO environmentally conscious". It's rubbish, and it doesn't work.

BCal Dc10

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:04 pm

here here Banco.
Lowsonboy... tell me what buses use the M4 buslane. Useful ones that is... None that I can take commuting into London.
Unless you are His Tonyness, which gives you a different set of rules to those of your citizens.

I sit every day in traffic, whilst that lane remains empty.
I'm all for a total boycott of it... everyone drive down it. They'd scrap it within days as they couldn't cope with the volumes of tickets they'd have to issue for using it, and the followups when people don't pay fines.
Rebel!
Ok, thats not responsible in a civilised society... but its how I feel!!

Lowsonboy

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:06 pm

It goes down to two lanes when it goes to the elevated section anyway, so the bus lane just means it goes down to two lanes a bit earlier. Being one of the busiest roads in the country I think it is quite a good idea trying to get people out of their cars.
I did read a statistic that it had actually cut average journey times as well.

Banco

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:15 pm

That's precisely the point Lowson Boy! It DOES go down to two lanes a few miles on. So what's the bloody point? If it went right into London it would be OK.

And I don't know where you heard that it has cut journey times. All the anecdotal evidence says otherwise, and if you are right I would have expected our current dicatorship to shout it from the rooftops. Perhaps it was a bad day to "bury" good news?

Lowsonboy

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:26 pm

The point is that those few miles will make a big difference for using buses (and taxis). Public transport needs to be made as attractive as possible, then people will use it.
Re journey times, no I don't know where I heard it either, but I'm sure I did. If it is true then presumably it is taking all road users into account - car, bus, and taxi - and then taking an average.

BCal Dc10

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:33 pm

I agree with you on principal Lowsonboy... I'd use public transport if it was a viable alternative, but there's never anything on it except cabs from the airport and the odd bus or coach belching out lovely diesel fumes. But there aren't any. You hardly ever see a bus. A public transport london bus that is. Plenty of coaches, but they don't count.

I personally don't think it works. How can removing one lane make traffic flow better? Therefore removing 2 should make it even quicker right?

All my point was, its crap. From someone who used to use it every day when I lived in London. IMO.

David_itl

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:53 pm

Guess I'm lucky, living on the Wilmslow Road corridor in Manchester with buses every minute and with three companies offering passengers their variation on weekly ticket prices - £3 on UK North, £4 on Finglands and £7.30 on Stagecoach (as from next Monday -it's £7 at the moment) - all relative to the number of routes they serve. However, I can't wait until the trams start up round where I live!

My biggest bug-bear about cars is the school run - we have Manchester Grammar School down one road and Manchester High School for Girls on the next road which leads to tremendous delays during term time i.e. it takes anything from 30 minutes to an hour to go 5 miles whereas during holiday periods, I can get to work in 15 minutes!

Can't remember the number of buses that come to MAN but there is a dedicated bus station and the rail station with extensive destinations available which is linked to T2 and T1; one of the few MAN capital expenditure plans that wasn't chopped post-Sept 11th was a new £60m bus, train and tram interchange.

David/MAN

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:04 am

ALL 50 states in this country has some parts of it to be ashamed of, not just certain states. I can point out monstrosities in every state that I have visited, including the ones I loved.

As for California:
1. High insurance rates
2. High rent/Morgages
3. Soft on Crime
4. Immigration problems (I don't have anything against immigrants, as long as they are here legally)
5. Lousy school system
6. Population explosions (people from other states keep flocking out here year after year, causing it to be the most populated state)
7. High taxes

That's what makes me ashamed of CA.

Lowsonboy

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:15 am

...Anyway...
What makes me ashamed of Britain:

- ignorant right wing attitudes fostered by many people and enhanced by misreporting of issues by the press.
- poor public services (esp. health care, transport) that do not provide value for our taxes.
- being overcharged by companies who get away with it.
- frequent bad behaviour of British people abroad.

Mostly though I am proud of my country and happy to be a Briton and an Englishman.

Banco

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:38 am

I'll tell you one thing that really made me ashamed. The Stephen Lawrence affair. When you have a choice between believing that the police were staggeringly incompetent or just racist it really is something to be ashamed of.

Of course you expect some individual officers to have bigoted views but I really never expected something as appalling as that to happen. Not the original murder, although that was bad enough, but the so-called investigation.

Lowsonboy

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:43 am

Too right Banco.
A very unsavoury affair. I don't think the reputation of the police has recovered fully yet.

heavymetal

Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:46 am

Since the original poster seemed to have it in for areas known for their progressive populations, let's look at some conservative strongholds, shall we?

Houston- The anchor of the Bible Belt. Also home to miserable pollution (because after all environmental regulations are communism, aren't they?), the most overweight people in America (nuthin in the Bible about glutony is there?) and let's not forget scheming, lying energy companies with strong Republican ties who defraud everyone from Wall Street to Main Street, then suck away all the 401K bennys of their employees when the go bankrupt.

Utah What a Godly place huh? That is assuming God had twenty three wives, like Brigham Young had. Salt Lake City completely aboloshed all after school clubs just so one with a few gay kids in it couldn't meet on school property. Apparently the club teaching kids how to bribe Olympic officials and lie about it stayed open.

Alabama The state's citizens will rush to elect a guy who has pounded the Ten Commandments on his courtroom wall for all to see. Too bad the guys wanting to lift Alabama public education from it's perpetually at or near last place ranking...they didn't make the cut.

I've lived in liberal towns (Cambridge, Mass) and conservative towns (Grand Rapids, Mich.). Both have ther ups and downs. Both have annoying politicians who need to be strangled. I'm sure I don't need to go five miles from where I sit to find a part of America...or more to the point, an attitude of America.. I'm not too fond off....wherever in America I happen to be. I'm sure I'll find one that I love, too.

FlyBoeing
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:48 am

Wow, I unleashed a firestorm of shame! This is almost like a therapist's chair!

We're revealing the seamy underbelly of each nation represented on A.net. I didn't know all that stuff about how the British hate some aspects of their splendid isle.  Wow!

I want to here more about actual Europeans, though, not just British. This is great!  Big thumbs up

MaxPowers

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:05 am

Alot of places in the south are still bitching about loosing the Civil War. I hate every single person who talks about loosing the civil war when they wern't even a part of it!!!

-Max

OH-LZA

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:22 am

Finland

1. Racism, even i sometimes get bad comments if i speak my mother tongue, Swedish on the Bus, I consider myself having two mother tongues though, the other being Finnish. At least i don't have to suffer violence like some immigrants have to, especially in the city of Joensuu in Eastern Finland.

2. Some parts of the country are very laid back and conservative.

Alexander

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:34 am

Boys! Boys! You're forgetting the one part of your country which should be nuked the hell into orbit. And I'm a talkin about Buffalo, NY. Why, as a Canadian living close to the New York State border, I, my family, and fellow Torontonians and Southern Ontario folk have been subjected for YEARS to all of those Buffalo Eyewitness News Reports of mysterious
3-alarm house fires each night in Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Lackawanna, and every other suburb
of that godforsaken hellhole. Obviously, SOMEONE with BRAINS in Buffalo was trying to burn the joint to
Smithereens!!! Not to mention.......have any of you
thought for a SECOND WHY Buffalo receives so much
snow, blizzards, etc? Hmmmm, have ya? Well I'll tell ya why, American Boys! It's because GOD, in his infinite wisdom, wants to see Buffalo wiped out! It's true. If the arsons and the buffalo chicken wing restaurants can't produce enough 3-alarm fires to wipe out Buffalo, than the Almighty has stepped in to dump 40 feet of snow per day on this upper New York state
vision of HELL!!!

Just my two cents!
From your Canadian Cousin north of the border
God Bless ya ALL!

Canadi>nBoy
YYZ

airlinelover

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:35 am

I'm ashamed of part of my STATE, The city of Pontiac.. All I have to say is DIRTY, DRUG-INFESTED, BOOZE-RIDDEN slum town..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Superfly

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:16 am

N400QX:
Now you know if the boy had looked like Timothy McVeigh, blond haired, blue eyed, they would have had a yearbook picture around the globe.. it would have been screaming around the globe!

You were totally pulling the race card on that one.
You need to spend less time at the Aryan Nation web sites.

B757300:
I've been to Texas many times. There are some OK pockects of the state but it's still a bit backwards. Austin and San Antonio are a little fun.

Utah is a very pretty state. Too bad it's conservative. Big grin

FlyBoeing:
I agree with you about Connecticut. I work with a lot of those 'New England types' and they can be very arrogant. However Vermont is beautiful. The people are nice and they can afford to 'keep out' industry if they don't need it. Would you want Lake Champlain to look like Galveston Bay (Houston, Texas area)?

Bring back the Concorde

Pendrilsaint

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:17 am

Maxpowers, I suggest you read "Confederates in the Attic" by Tony Horwitz...Might give you insight into why people are still "bitching" about losing the civil war. You might not notice...but the war still has far reaching concepts like States Rights and such...And you have to remember that wars that a country has lost are much more present in memory than wars won...

Superfly

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:22 am

N400QX:
BTW, you'd love Berkeley, CA!
It is far from liberal. I try to avoid that city as much as possible! It was liberal from 1967-1969. Just for two years and there was strong opposition then.
You go to Berkeley today and all you see is the big establishment fraternity/sorority houses, kids with brand new BMWs and the city is FLOODED with police!
If you J-walk in Berkeley, expect to be harassed and heavily fined by the cops. You'll be met by 3 squad cars and 6 officers to cite you too!
I even saw a car with a 'Bush/Cheney' bumper sticker on it!
Bring back the Concorde

heavymetal

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:24 am

That was a funny post CB...

Here's a really nasty story that took place in Buffalo...

Many years ago, a buddy of mine worked in the newsroom of WGY, Buffalo's main news radio station.

One day, a flatbed truck truck carrying those giant pre-fab concrete sewer sections was involved in an accident on the main beltway around Buffalo, I think it's I-180. This huge tube of solid concrete came loose from the truck and bounced across several lanes of traffic, crushing a few cars and killing their occupants.

The next day the phone rang at the newsroom. It was an elderly woman in Kentucky calling to ask if there had been a blizzard in Buffalo, because she hadn't heard from her daughter, who had driven up for a job interview.

My buddy was happy to offer the fact that no, the weather was fine and had no answers for this woman...until he looked at the newspaper in front of him. It carried a front page picture of the devastation wrought by this giant runaway sewer pipe...and showed very clearly a small Japanese import car with Kentucky plates smashed on the highway. He froze, and asked the woman what kind of car her daughter drove. The woman was fuzzy, but got the make & color right. He didn't know what to say. The picture showed the forward half of the car flattened to about two feet off the ground. A large yellow tarp was draped over the area where the driver would have sat.

He was speechless. He three way called the state police barracks with the woman on the line and very strongly hinted to the officer that he needed to talk to this woman quickly. After that, the police took it. He hung up and got very drunk.

An ugly story...from not the prettiest city.

McRingRing

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:29 am

I'd have to say that something isn't quite right with the Southern US. I spent 4 years 'down there' in college with the majority of students being from the south. The belief that the pre-Civil War southern attitude is still acceptable is all over the place. You can hardly go anywhere without seeing a Confederate flag (and it's there for a reason!) or dealing with the anti-north attitude. Before I lived there, I thought the whole anti-north thing was a joke, but they take it seriously.  Nuts And if you think the anti-North attitude is bad, there's racism like you wouldn't believe.

Texas is another story. As far as I'm concerned, there's really no use for that land anyway. We'd be better off selling it to Mexico.
B==============) ~~~~