PanAm747
Topic Author

What's Worse Alcohol Or Tobacco?

Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:13 pm

I was reading a Donald Trump book and he said alcohol is worse than tobacco.

Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

American_4275

RE: What's Worse Alcohol Or Tobacco?

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:33 am

IMO, that's blatantly false.

Tobacco is very addicting. Namely, if you smoke one cigarette, it's likely you can get addicted for a looong time. If you get addicted, you're likely to die earlier. Plus, it totally screws up your lungs, your breathing gets heavier, you teeth get yellow. Needless to say, chewing tobacco is a totally different story and can get you other various disgusting diseases.

Alcohol is no winner, either. It causes many accidents due to drunk driving. However, unlike tobacco, the chances aren't as high that you'll get addicted the first time. Also, as long as you drink in moderation and have a designated driver, you won't get into an accident on the road. I've drank a couple times before and I did like it. However, there was no time when I was absolutely NEEDING a drink.

I will never try tobacco products.

cfalk

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:52 am

I'd say that while tobacco is worse for your own health, alcohol is worse for those around you, as well as bad for your health if abused.

Smoking a few cigarettes won't make you kill a family (yours or someone else's) in your car, won't make you look like an idiot at parties, or cause you to leer stupidly at the tits on your boss' wife (or nowadays, the boss herself  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Marco

Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:09 am

Tobacco is worse than alcohol for the following reasons:

1-When you smoke, not only are you harming yourself, but you're harming others around you. Assuming one drinks moderately he/she will not harm anyone else.

2-Smoking even moderately damages your health, whereas drinking alcohol in moderation has been proven to be useful for the heart.

regards
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Lortab 7.5mg

Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:15 am

Which do you prefer, emphysema and/or lung cancer, or cirrhosis of the liver?

tbar220

Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:20 am

True, but don't forget how damaging alcohol can be for your body. Once you become addicted to alcohom (i.e. alcoholism) its almost impossible to turn back. Your liver can get ravaged and many kinds of cancers can grow in your body. Also, the behaviour of alcoholics can be very violent and thus damaging to family and relationships, as well as to oneself.

Also, you can die from alcohol poisoning, while I've never heard anybody dying because they smoked too many ciggarettes in one day. How often do we hear about some college kid who died from alcohol poisoning, not pleasant.

Yes though, it is true that alcohol in moderation might even be good for your health, while I seriously doubt that about tobacco.
NO URLS in signature

JetService

Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:44 am

Cigarettes specifically seems more dangerous to leisure users compared to leisure drinkers, where as when both are abused (excessive), I would guess it would be a tie. My dad did both excessively and he was affected by both. He got cirrhosis of the liver, which was stabilized after he quit drinking forever and went through treatment. Then 10 years later, he got throat cancer, which killed him.

As for pipe-smoking, cigar, chewing tobacco and snuff, I would say they are the least dangerous (in that order) of them all the tobacco vises.
"Shaddap you!"

PPGMD

Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:02 am

I think booze is pretty much only temporary though while you are under its effects it is worse.

But I think that tobacco is worse overall to pilots because increases the likelyhood of hypoxia and makes it harder for you to get a First Class Medical.

I won't get into the health effects, I'm not a doctor, I'm not a smoker and I could careless as long as they don't do it around me.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Alessandro

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:33 am

Tobacco is worse, many fires starts thanks to smoking.
Of course alcohol kills as well, but I sure prefer alcohol
in front of tobacco anyday....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Russianplnelvr

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:11 am

Which is worse? Hmmmmm.... I don't know. The question is a little vague, but I'll say they are the same.

Smoking might kill you after 30-50 years of puffing.
Alcohol could do it in 3 hours, or over a long time if you have liver cancer.

So I guess they're equally bad, even though I enjoy both of them.

SophieMaltese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:50 pm

Well, I can't think of anything good to say about smoking. Guess that's why I never started. I do drink though, but not very much. I think if you have a problem with it it can be much worse than smoking. However, for the average person it's not.

mls515

Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:53 pm

Show me a smoker who smokes just as sporadically as I drink and then I'll tell you alcohol is worse.

I drink alcohol, but there's really no pattern to it. I'll have a beer at dinner one night, I'll get really drunk at a party another night, and sometimes I'll choose not to have one drop for weeks at a time.

Smokers smoke multiple times every day.

b747ca

Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:04 pm

Niether, I enjoy them both very much.....
ma va funk ulo

EmiratesLover

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:29 pm

Alcohol can be good for health when consumed in small to moderate quantities.Tobacco, by contrast has virtually no health benefits whatsoever.
Having said that, I would like to say that taking both in large quantities of both can be extremely damaging to health.Best to keep off both if you ask me.