Topic Author

Serious Injustice In Down Under

Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:45 pm

From Reuters:
"
Tuesday January 29 4:08 AM ET
Refugee Suicide Deadline Passes at Australian Camp
By Sophie Hares

WOOMERA, Australia (Reuters) - A suicide deadline set by a group of 11 teenagers at a camp for asylum seekers in the Australian desert came and went Tuesday with no news of their fate.

Afghan and Middle Eastern detainees at the Woomera detention center have tried to hang themselves, drunk disinfectant and sewn up their lips to protest at the months, and sometimes years, it takes to process refugee claims.

Some 200 detainees have been on a hunger strike for the last two weeks.

Lawyer Rob McDonald, representing the asylum seekers, said a 16-year-old Iraqi youth tried to kill himself overnight by hanging himself on a fence but guards intervened.

He said a group of 11 Afghan teenagers, aged 12 to 17, remained committed to a pledge to commit suicide if they were not removed from Woomera by 5 p.m. (1:30 a.m. EST) Tuesday and tension in the camp housing about 900 asylum seekers was running high.

``It's terribly strict. After 5 p.m. unfortunately it will be a matter of waiting to see what happens,'' McDonald said.

He told reporters the hunger strikers were awaiting further talks with a committee set up by the government to act as an intermediary between detainees and authorities.

FREQUENT PROTESTS

Protests, often violent, have become increasingly frequent at Woomera, the largest of the country's six camps, which is located in barren, treeless desert about 475 km (295 miles) north of Adelaide and lies just outside a small township.

Tuesday children from the camp threw notes reading ``Visa'' and ``Freedom'' as their school bus sped past reporters at a road block set up about 500 meters outside.

A member of the government-appointed panel, Paris Aristotle, said closing Woomera as a full-time detention center and only using it for emergencies, such as when a large group of asylum seekers arrived, would end the continuing unrest.

``It's obviously a very difficult and, for detainees, certainly perceived as a very harsh environment for them to be detained in for long periods,'' Aristotle told Australian radio.

Minor political parties, the Greens and the Australian Democrats, have joined the call to close Woomera, located in a former rocket range the size of England where summer temperatures soar to 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees F) or more.

But Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock said he would not be pressured into a snap decision by the protest, even though the turmoil is now spreading to other camps.

``I do not think it's appropriate that the decision should be taken in the context of duress,'' Ruddock told reporters.

However he said the situation would be reviewed if the number of asylum seekers arriving in Australia illegally continued to fall and after the opening of a new facility in coming months.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the protests would not sway the government.

``Never, never deal with Australians by threatening them. You can threaten a lot of countries but you never want to threaten Australians,'' Downer told Reuters in an interview in London.

Australia has one of the world's harshest immigration policies, detaining all illegal immigrants in secure camps. The policy is supported by the main opposition party, Labor.

But the government toughened its stance further last August when it started to divert all asylum seekers to Pacific nations. Conservative Prime Minister John Howard won a third term in November after his tough stand on boat people was applauded by many Australians angry as the numbers of Afghan, Middle Eastern and Sri Lankan boat people rose to nearly 5,000 a year.

Woomera service station owner Dave Kirby said residents of a township of 1,300 people near the camp were out of patience.

``Sympathy for them? None, none at all. They get better food and stuff then we get in town,'' Kirby told Reuters.
"

-----------------------------------------

Actually I was in a late stage of planning a 5 weeks long vacation to Australia for September- October this year. This is now totally out of question. I will not spend a dime of my money in a country with such a nazi government.

Stratofish
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

Yazoo

RE: Serious Injustice In Down Under

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:06 pm

australia is huge and not very populated, they've got so much land to share. that's pure isolanism.
Purple Pride!

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:09 pm

I don't agree. Australia is fully within its rights to treat economic migrants as it sees fit and considering its small population relative to the rest of Asia, would be well advised to crack down on immigration immediately or else be deluged by foreign moochers sucking dry the public services.

N400QX

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:10 pm

I agree... more power to Australia. Immigrants, illegal or otherwise, have to be willing to go through the process, whatever that may be.

Yazoo

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:19 pm

Hoffa, are you in the KKK by any chance.
Purple Pride!

N400QX

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:20 pm

>Hoffa, are you in the KKK by any chance

Now that was stupid. Downright stupid.

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:23 pm

Typical liberal response...you don't like the argument so you attack the person, preferably with the race/religion card.

Oz has a population just cracking the 20M mark. Indonesia has 230 Million for a start. You open the door for one lot of people, pretty soon the dregs of the earth will be showing up in their hordes.

LH423

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:26 pm

yazoo: Australia may be big (the 5th largest nation, just behind the US), but it's scarcely populated (roughly 20 million) and as the article demonstrated, Australia can be a very hostile environment...do you want to live in an area with 40°C temps and little water?

Didn't think so. Australia is merely protecting their interests, and the interests of those who enter the country and apply for citizenship legally.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Yazoo

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:26 pm

wren't the doors of the US wide open for the last 4 centuries ? did it hurt the US, no, it made it stronger, a diversity of people uniting under one flag, that's what makes us a strong economic and miltary superpower
Purple Pride!

Goodbye

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:28 pm

Living in Australia, I think this government and its policies are absolutely dispicable. They deliberately cage them up like animals, and take as long as they can to process their Visas.

The government and most of the population are Xenophobic. They think that these people will take over the country and invade us.

It is very sad that a country like ours, that was built on immigrants has to resort to this.

The REAL "illegal immigrants" are the hundreds of British and American people who come here and overstay their visas.

These people, whatever you say, are commiting these "crimes" because theuy are so desperate. Imagine being stuck out in the Australian Desert for months and years on end. Wouldn't you be sick of it too?

Yazoo

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:28 pm

how about Arizona and new mexico ? Minnesota and North Dakota ? very hostile environments but nonetheless populated, Arizona's capital, Phoenix, is the 5th largest in the nation.
Purple Pride!

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:30 pm

Only a moron like Goodbye could turn Australia's necessity of handling economic migrants harshly into an anti-American rant. Will you house a couple of Kurdish families in your house then Goodbye?

I really don't think the prospect of white people overstaying their visas is as much of a concern, especially since they don't draw welfare benefits from the pockets of Australian taxpayers. Duh!!!

N400QX

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:31 pm

>wren't the doors of the US wide open for the last 4 centuries ? did it hurt the US, no

Well if you'd like to look at September 11, 2001, I'd say open doors sure hurt us. I'm not suggesting we close the doors but we sure need to do something, preferably with letting fewer people from certain parts of the world in.

And don't start with your race and "you're anti-everything non-American" crap. I have immigrant friends who are some of the best people I've ever met-- they worked hard to come to America and they are grateful to be here... which is much more than you can say for some immigrants.

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:32 pm

These people, whatever you say, are commiting these "crimes" because theuy are so desperate. Imagine being stuck out in the Australian Desert for months and years on end. Wouldn't you be sick of it too?

If they don't like it, let them go back to Iraq, Afghanistan, or wherever. Why should the government of Australia be obligated to people which are not its citizens/subjects?

Goodbye

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:35 pm

Hoffa: Where is my "anti-american rant"?

Did I mention America anywhere in my post?

Ok, maybe once, but it wasn't condemning them, I was simply saying that the British and American people who come here that are the real people who are casuing concerns.

N400QX

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:41 pm

And if I said, truthfully, that Arabs (and Mexicans for that matter) that come to America illegally or stay illegally are causing problems here, I'd be flamed to death....

But it is still the truth.

watewate

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:41 pm

I'm not challenging Australia's right to selective acceptance of asylum seekers. Just make the process quick so people can get over it. There's no excuse for locking up people for years.

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:42 pm

What a joke you are Goodbye if you really think a few visa overstayers (probably tourists/backpackers) from the US and UK are more of a concern to Australian society than a deluge of immigrants from the destitute hovels of the earth.

Goodbye

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:46 pm

Watewave: you have it absolutely correct. They are being locked up in the middle of the desert for an indefinite period of time, while the government takes its own sweet time with the Visa applications.

Hoffa: If you were in charge of the world, there would be no diversity, the only people would be white. You are so racist it is beyond belief.

yyz717

Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:14 pm

These people are law-breaking economic migrants. Aus should expel them.

As for giving in to demands of people who are hunger-striking.....that would just encourage more of it. Why didn't these illegals hunger strike against their own Iraqi or Afghan govts? <---- Rhetorical question. We all know the answer.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Hoffa

Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:27 pm

The Howard government is to be commended for its consistent, firm stance on this issue which does take into account the majority of Australian public opinion nonetheless. Often times the right thing to do is not the easy thing to do. If an idiot like Goodbye sews his lips shut in solidarity with the Woomera refugees, I think we are all the better for it!

Thanks for calling me a racist. Still not one decent argument for you regarding why these people should be permitted to stay other than some vague liberal claptrap. You are nothing if not predictable.

yyz717

Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:30 pm

Hoffa, you are definitely not a racist. Just a thoughtful, logical individual.

A country is nothing without borders. Aus has every right to control its own immigration policy and not be held hostage to criminals arriving on its shores & jumping the queue.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

yyz717

Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:36 pm

Hey GoodBye......what do you think about Japan's immigration policy? A country far wealthier and more in need of immigrants than Aus.

DeanBNE

Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:30 am

Hoffa: Typical liberal response...you don't like the argument so you attack the person, preferably with the race/religion card
More of Hoffa's hypocrisy ...

What a joke you are Goodbye if you really think a few visa overstayers (probably tourists/backpackers) from the US and UK are more of a concern to Australian society than a deluge of immigrants from the destitute hovels of the earth
Get your facts straight. The number is believed to be in the thousands if not tens of thousands

The Howard government is to be commended for its consistent, firm stance on this issue
It's called playing the race card. You seem to exploit that the notion well, Hoffa ... you play on people's fears and prejudices...

Goodbye: I think this government and its policies are absolutely dispicable
I agree Goodbye. At a time of unprecented economic prosperity we detain/imprison these people, without any charges, for up to 13 months. They won the election using the race card and now, surprise suprise, they are just starting to soften there stance. Bring back Keating. He knew what leadership was about

prebennorholm

Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:37 am

How can non-Australians allow themselved to make comments on this thread?

Non-Australians should only bring forward one comment: A firm invitation to bring the illegal immigrants to their own countries.

After they have done so, then they should probably be allowed to make comments on Australian politics. Until then, let the Australians govern their country.

Regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

v jet

Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:47 am

"Bring back Keating" You have to be joking right. Remember the interest rates he left us with!

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:29 am

"I really don't think the prospect of white people overstaying their visas is as much of a concern, especially since they don't draw welfare benefits from the pockets of Australian taxpayers. Duh!!!

Hoffa, I didn't realize that all Americans or British people who visited Australia were white. I'll be sure to tell that to my Filipino-American friend visiting Australia with me next month.

(Maybe THAT's why you're comments are construed as racist?)

On this subject, Australia absolutely has a right to control its borders and immigration. However, as several people have mentioned, they shouldn't hold people in camps in the middle of the desert for extensive periods of time. Either reject or accept their applications for assylum. Speaking of the taxpayer, it is costing much more to hold them there than to make a decision. Sounds like a lose-lose situation all the way around.

Alessandro

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:09 am

I would like to remind you all about the Afghani past of
Australia, when caravans with Afghanis carried cargo on
camels to Alice Springs. Thats why the railroad route
is called the "Ghan".....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:51 am

Stratofish,

Don't beleive everything you read in the media.

These detainee's have done nothing to ingratiate themselves to the Australia authorities who have rescued them from rotting ships or from being dumped on a beach in Australia's northwest with little chance of survival.

We have legitimate avenues for people to immigrate to this country both for political / economic reasons. What I find hard to beleive is many of these people have paid substantial amounts of money to fly to places like Indonesia, then pay even more money to be put on a rickety boat in the *hope* they will be invited into Australia.

Sorry mate, but as far as I am concerned those who are sitting in refugee camps in their own with no money or hope certainly deserve to be at the head of the que and they are.

Many of these so called detainees have been proven to be criminals of some sort or another - which is why so many of them destroy their passports and papers before they get here. Which is why it takes so long to process their applications for visa's - if they do not co-operate with the authorities it takes 3 times as long to help them.

If you have seen the amount of damage these people have done to the detention centres then perhaps you would understand why they are locked up. I'd say 4 meals a day, aircon, a comfortable bed, entertainment systems, education, healthcare are far better than the rickety ship or Australian bush they would have had, had we not rescued them.

We also need to send a message that Australia is tough on illegal immigrants, if we don't and we become swamped - the human tragedy on the Northwest will be far greater than a few hundred people in detention centres.

Try to remember as well that Australia has a relatively small population, and whilst we take in as many migrants as we can - we simply do not have the resources for everyone.

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born..

ryanb741

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:20 am

Just a question....

Are those being held in these camps genuine asylum seekers or illegal immigrants. If they are genuine asylum seekers they should get better treatment, if they are illegals then they have nothing to complain about.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Hoffa

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:37 am

Hoffa, I didn't realize that all Americans or British people who visited Australia were white. I'll be sure
to tell that to my Filipino-American friend visiting Australia with me next month.

I used the term "white" to describe people from the "white" world. The US and Britain continue to be predominately white nations, hence my comment.

As for why people think I'm a racist, I could honestly care less.

You and your "friend" have a good time frolicking on some nude beach somehwere. Yeech!

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:31 am

Hoffa, you're a moron. I'm sure you could care less about that too.

The "white world"? That's pretty funny.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:50 am

Hoffa

Try to avoid use of the words "white world". It smacks just a bit of Aryan Nation type talk...don't you think? If you are talking about America and the UK...just say "America and Britain".

---

Will post more later on this arvo....but Mx5_boy pretty much summed up my sentiment.

Hoffa

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:53 am

Blah blah blah. Judging a person over a internet connection and some copper wire...so classy of you both.

I don't like homosexuality either. Suppose I must then be a bigot.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:02 am

I could care less what you think about homosexuality. Use a persons homosexuality as the sole reason to deny them services or goods or other rights; then yes, I will call you a bigot.

BTW....I was far from judging you...rather I was pointing out how it comes across to the person reading it.

Who is judging whom now?

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:25 am

It's too bad every bitter, lonely, racist homophobic 40 year old can have a computer.

Oh wait, was that too judgemental?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:59 am

Travellin man,

Unfortunately many of the illegals decide to destroy their passports / identification documents which makes it extremely difficult to determine who these people 'actually' are. As you could well imagine trying to process an application or visa for someone with no documents to verify who they are is difficult, to say the least. Particularly when many make the claim of hardship and being Afghani when they are actually Iranian / Pakistani.

The choice to detain these people in detention centres is precautionary, as it is well proven that some are plain criminals that should not be let out on the street.

Again unfortunately, we have to house these people together because we just don't "know" who or what they are until we get positive identification and can prove who they are. Criminals are deported post-haste and others asessed as quickly as possible for release into the community if applicable.

I support the tought stance that our government has taken, whilst harsh, needs to be taken to stop our shores being innundated for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born..

Hoffa

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:09 am

Who is judging whom now?

I was making my comments to "Travellin' Man" who burst on the scene, took my remarks completely out of context, and labelled me in the space of 10 seconds thinking himself an expert on Australian affairs simply because he will be visiting an Australian nudist colony next month with his live-in Gigolo.

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:32 am

Go back to your "white world" Hoffa. The rest of us can discuss this in an intelligent manner.

Mx5_boy --
I guess I do not understand how these detainees arrived in Australia? Generally, for instance, when the Haitians arrive in America, they are sent directly back to Haiti (with documents or without). I understand the problem some may have, but if they don't have documents, it should seem rather easy to figure out where they came from (via language, point of capture, etc.). Are those boat people in these camps? Weren't there a bunch of Indonesians trying to get assylum in Australia too?

I'm not criticizing the fact Australia is figuring out whom to let in and whom to keep out. It seems unfortunate for the immigrants and the taxpayers though that it is taking so long.

But I guess at least they are trying to be fair about the whole issue.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:33 am

Hoffa,

"he will be visiting an Australian nudist colony next month with his live-in Gigolo"

It's comments like that which don't endear you to anyone? What if TM said something along the lines of "And hoffa was travelling to some nudist colony with his crack whore wife".

You would be appalled.

BTW - The so called nudist colony happens to be a gay resort in North Queensland that happens to have a nude beach. Quite common in this country.

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born..

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:50 am

Mx5_boy --
I'm sure you give Hoffa too much credit, as I'm sure he has no wife, crack whore or otherwise.

TM

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:51 am

But he doesn't like homosexuality Mx5_boy....that gives him the right to degrade TM ya see  Insane

travelin man

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:01 am

Well, at least I'm white, or Hoffa would have a field day.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:29 am

TM/Scotty,

I realise that's the case, still it's uncalled for. One would expect to insinuate something upon 'the great straight man' himself would be considered a major insult.

Sometimes they really just don't get how hurtful and horrid they can be. Even though most of us queens have thick enough hides to bear anything!

BTW - TM - Most arrive here by 'boat', in which case they have usually travelled to Indonesia on flights from their respective countries with the requisite passports etc and then seek out people smugglers to send them to Australia. That hardly brays economic migrant does it?

Cheers,

mb

aerorobnz

Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:48 am

Australia is fine, at least it isn't a soft touch nation like New Zealand that lets in hundred every time Helen Clark feels sorry for someone else or gets a guilt trip..
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:53 pm

Actually I was in a late stage of planning a 5 weeks long vacation to Australia for September- October this year. This is now totally out of question. I will not spend a dime of my money in a country with such a nazi government.

I'm really glad you decided not to come, that will allow you to continue your hatred against a country you know nothing about based on reports you haven't validated written by people who's own countries refugee policies are appalling.

Did you know that there is not one single person in Woomera who HAS NOT been assessed already? Did you know Australia is the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that self assesses refugees? Did you know that there is only ONE country that takes more refugees per capita than Australia? (and it's CANADA). Did you know that we are the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that allows appeals on refugee applications? Bear in mind also that German doesn't have the refugee problems that Australia does because it doesn't allow the refugees into the country at anywhere near the rate that Austalia does and Germany was very silent when the Tampa crisis was going on.

Hardly puts you in a position to make an informed statement does it?

VH-ADG

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:17 pm

I think you are all missing a number of points.

1. They are assessed IMMEDIATELY upon entry into the country, those assessed as legitimate are immediately released. Those in Woomera are all assessed as not legitimate.

2. Australia is the ONLY country that self assesses.

3. Those in Woomera are FREE TO RETURN HOME at any time, all they need to do is say so.

4. Australia is the ONLY country in the world that allows appeal of decision. Those in Woomera are using the appeal process to delay their departure at huge cost to the economy here (particularly as we have to continually rebuild the damn place every time they burn it down!)

Are those being held in these camps genuine asylum seekers or illegal immigrants.

They have been assessed and rejected, therefore they are illegal immigrants who can go home at any time if they so choose, they choose not to.

If they are genuine asylum seekers they should get better treatment, if they are illegals then they have nothing to complain about.

Agreed, the genuine refugees are long gone from Woomera, generally within a matter of weeks. Woomera tends to house the rabble rousers and trouble makers.

t-man

If Australia had the laws America had then you wouldn't see this trouble as they would all be sent home. I'd like to see the law changed so that coming over here illegally in a boat would deny access to the country EVER. That way, those refugees that follow the legal path and wait their turns are the ones who are allowed in. Better to have someone here that respects the law than some one who doesn't.

and how did the conversation get onto homosexuality? Are the illegals homosexuals as well? Is there a nudist colony in Woomera? Relevance?

VH-ADG

ryanb741

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:37 pm

Thanks for clearing that up ADG - so those held at Woomera are illegals, right? In that case I think the criticism of Australia is a little unfair - if genuine asylum cases are treated properly that is a good thing, but illegals can't really complain IMHO
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Stratofish
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:49 am

"and how did the conversation get onto homosexuality? Are the illegals homosexuals as well? Is there a nudist colony in Woomera? Relevance?"

The only point I actually have to agree with ADG.

"I'm really glad you decided not to come, that will allow you to continue your hatred against a country you know nothing about based on reports you haven't validated written by people who's own countries refugee policies are appalling."

It´s not about hatred, it´s about anger on that disgusting gov. of your country. I don´t claim to know everything of Australia but enough to know somethings go wrong there. Besides I have already there a few years back.

"Did you know that there is only ONE country that takes more refugees per capita than Australia? (and it's CANADA)."

As a matter of fact I did. Still no justification to treat these ppl the way they are treated!

"Bear in mind also that German doesn't have the refugee problems that Australia does because it doesn't allow the refugees into the country at anywhere near the rate that Austalia does and Germany was very silent when the Tampa crisis was going on. "

We don´t have what??? Who´s the uninformed now? And I am not pleased with our way of dealing with them either. We, too, put far too many ristrictions on their numbers. (Restrictions regarding life-style would be more appropriate.)
And yes our government was silent, which is a shame, but most ppl here were not I can tell you.

I think I do have an 'informed' position.
Btw, I´d write the same if other countries would commit such crimes against humanity, there is no reason to accuse me of hatred. I just care about people.

rgds anyways
Stratofish

The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:25 am

Thanks for clearing that up ADG - so those held at Woomera are illegals, right?

Yes, not only illegals but quite pathetic examples of humanity if the behaviour on the TV is anything to go by!

In that case I think the criticism of Australia is a little unfair -

It certainly is, particularly in light of the fact that other countries do not take in anywhere near the number of refugees per capita than Australia does. (except Canada).

if genuine asylum cases are treated properly that is a good thing, but illegals can't really complain IMHO

Ah .. but look at all the do gooders going feral over their actions! The list of what these people are is very long. They *pay* up to $50,000 US to get into the country and that makes them think that they have a right to be here.

One of the illegals who was on the Tampa was so annoyed at being forced to Nauru rather than Aus that she picked her small child up, threw the child across the boat breaking the childs ARM!

The damage they did to the HMAS Manoora left it in such a state that it could not inititally be used in the Gulf as requested by the United States!!!

They disable the boats they come over in, putting themselves at great risk and forcing Australian ships to pick them up (and as we are looking out for people in 20% of the worlds Oceans it's not that hard to force that.

There are many "unconfirmed" reports about the Woomera detention centre, but before these people burnt it to the ground ($19,000,000 damage) it was an acceptable place to stay for those who have come from countries with similar temperatures etc. Woomera is indicative of much of Australia, hot and dry with no water.

I am very sick of the whinging by the namby pamby do gooders, particularly those in countries who are loud with criticism and quite when asked to assist.

It's not about space, but economy and infrastructure as well as a "fair go". What about a "fair go" for those who apply legally, for those who cannot afford to pay the illegal boat smugglers, for those who are willing to abide by the laws of our land! Why shouldn't they be allowed to come into the country?

If we bring all the boat people in, it just encourages more boat people. Do gooders can whinge all their like, but the fact is that the treatment of illegals is humane and it is the refugees who are acting illegal.

VH-ADG