matt86

Favorite Euro-Coins?

Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:55 am

I would like to see your opinion on this topic. What are your five favorite Coins (€€€)?
My favorites are:

1. Finland: 1€
2. Italy: 1€
3. Greece: 5¢
4. Portugal: 1¢ (same as 2¢ and 5¢)
5. Austria: 2¢
I like all of them  Love

lubcha132

RE: Favorite Euro-Coins?

Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:34 am

birdies:

favorite bill btw:

David_itl

Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:09 am

My favourite Euro coins are to be found smelted into something more useful.

My favourite Euro notes are those made into recycled paper.

David/MAN

TWFirst

RE: David_itl

Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:25 am

Feel a threatened, do we David??

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today... support for the Euro in the UK is increasing. A third of those polled said they would vote for the UK joining the Euro if asked to via a referendum, vs 26% prior to the Euro launch.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

David_itl

Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:37 pm

So 67% DON'T want it! Whether the British public will ever get to have a referendum is open to debate as the powers that be (Government/big business) are introducing it slowly by stealth.

Which is bigger....33% or 67%? Answers on a postcard to your brain.

Perhaps if you love the Euro so much, you'll petition George Bush to change the dollar for the Euro.

David/MAN

Scorpio

Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:19 am

David_itl,

Why so aggressive? All he said was that support was increasing... 26% prior to the introduction, 33% now. Which is bigger? Answers on a postcard etc., etc.

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:55 am

Look at that first line...isn't that a weensy bit "aggresive" as well?

The majority don't want it in the old poll. The majority don't want it in the new poll. Either way, the majority don't want it!

It will go the way of all referenda where they are repeated ad infinitum until the desired result is brought about.

BTW my German friend hates these "Tiddlywinks" as well!

David/MAN

Klaus

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:57 am

Just out of curiousity: What were the respective numbers of undecided participants?

ryanb741

Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:29 am

My favourite 'Euro' coins are:

Deutsche Mark
French Frank
British Pound
Spanish Peseta
Italian Lire
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

airsicknessbag

Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:53 am

Italian and Greek ones.

Daniel Smile

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:19 am

You mean Lire and Drachma, don't you Daniel  Wink/being sarcastic

Klaus, I would want to see an absolute majority in favour of the Euro i.e. over 50% of the population and not 50% of those who voted, thereby rendering useless how many are undecided!

Daivd

Klaus

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:33 am

David_itl: Klaus, I would want to see an absolute majority in favour of the Euro i.e. over 50% of the population and not 50% of those who voted, thereby rendering useless how many are undecided!

Relax, relax! The referendum is not on, yet!  Smile
I just wanted to get a little more information!

TWFirst

RE: David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:45 am

Haven't checked this thread in awhile. A few remarks:

1) I obviously typed my first post rather quickly and didn't proof it. That should have read "Feeling a little threatened, do we David??" In any case, based on the nature of your subsequent comments, the answer to that question seems clear. In response to you characterizing my post as "aggressive," I can't see how a simple question, and one meant in jest (although it did reflect my interpretation of your previous post) is "aggressive," but whatever. You're obviously quite sensitive about this issue.

2) Yes, indeed the point of my post was to communicate that there is evidence showing support for the Euro in the UK is rising, not that majority support currently exists. Thus, your demeaning comments were absolutely unnecessary and reflect the fact that you did not read my post carefully.

3) I would be absolutely fine if George Bush decided that the U.S. should adopt the Euro, although he wouldn't be the person responsible for making such a decision. Evidently unlike you, I don't have an irrational emotional patriotic attachment to the currency my country uses... if it would make sense for the U.S. to join the Euro, then I think we should join the Euro. If we were part of the EU (like Britain is), and the price of our exports to the rest of the EU were disadvantaged (like Britain's currently are) because our precious currency was overvalued against the currency that almost all of the rest of the EU uses (which happens to be Britain's largest trading partner), then I think logic dicates we should consider parity with the Euro at the very minimum, and full union with the Euro a distinct possibility.

The world's getting smaller Dave... wake up and smell the coffee.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

eg777er

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:30 am

Got the first Euros in my hand yesterday, as a friend brought them back from Skiing in France.

They're a bit dinky, but I like them. I could see the 2-euro coin taking the place of the Pound coin with no problems - ditto the 10 Euro note with the Fiver.

David, it's going to happen - so sit back and don't worry about it!

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:41 am

First, I bet none of the brouhaha would have happened if a " Wink/being sarcastic" appeared after both statements! I was just humouring the thread.

Second, I have do deal with Euro-using companies every day. So it's not exactly an alien concept. And yes, I have seen some coinage here in MAN....my colleague got some in his change a couple of weeks ago. He didn't realise it at the time and only discovered it when I needed some small change. One of the coins is a dead ringer in size for a 1p piece! I'm just a bit cynical as to what British companies will do if it is adopted...can you imagine anyone rounding prices downward?

Third, I will defend my right to make whatever comments I want to make. That is unless the Thought Police have now been introduced.

Fourth, I never believe in opinion polls either because 99% of the time, whoever commissions them gets the results they require!

Fifth, as per one of my posts in a much earlier thread, I did propose the "Pangaea" as a common global currency. There's not much point in removing 11 currencies from the world, leaving behind 100s more; if we want "transparent" prices, then a global currency is the only way forward.

Sixth, will we be getting by it the stealth method or by referendum as stated by I'm Tory Plan B before the elections.

Daivd/MAN

Klaus

David_itl

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:45 am

David_itl: Fifth, as per one of my posts in a much earlier thread, I did propose the "Pangaea" as a common global currency. There's not much point in removing 11 currencies from the world, leaving behind 100s more; if we want "transparent" prices, then a global currency is the only way forward.

Hmyeah, why try doing anything unless it assures instant peace on earth? Big grin