Hurricane
Topic Author

Respected Users-Huh?

Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:06 pm

I've searched and searched the forums for an answer to my question, but I can't find one! What is the advantage of being respected by someone? What is the difference between being respected and not being respected by someone? I guess what I'm trying to ask is- what do you get out of being respected by someone?
Thx for the future imput-Hurricane

N400QX

RE: Respected Users-Huh?

Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:09 pm

Good question.

I guess its just a "fun" feature with no practical purpose.

Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:48 pm

true, there's many users that are just popular with others.
See, there're quite some folks around here that are being respected by like 40 people. You don't believe that is for their aviation knowledge, do you ?

747-600X

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:27 am

Well... it's one of those things which I very much am in favor of. It hasn't got any strategic use in terms of doing something for your profile, but then again neither does the rest of that stuff. It tells you more than it tells you. It's sort of neat to open up somebody's profile and see them respected by like 70 people, it kinda makes you think that perhaps there's something to respect about them. THere's no real reason to use it, but it's a fun little trinket anyway.

Hurricane
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:54 am

Seems kinda pointless, but thanx! Big grin
...I had always wondered...

kaitakfan

Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:19 am

i say lets get a section for disrespected users! that should make it more real to life for being a social thing right? I mean the respected user stuff seems to be like the good old days of high school when everyone cares what others think! and part of that is having the people that like you and dont like you! i dunno just an independant thought of the day

Cheers!
Brian

Sonic

Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:24 am

No, KaiTakFan, this would be bad. People would disrespect users because of their opinion, like American patriots would disrespect american haters, Boeing lovers would disrespect Airbus lovers (and vice-versa), some small guys would disrespect other users just for fun and some grown-up users would disrespect minors because of their age.

I think respects/posts ratio shows how respected you are (and I maybe have he worst one... )

EGGD

Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:33 am

B737-700 - It is true that respected users are merited on his aviation knowledge, but the majority of highly respected users do have a good deal of knowledge... or sense of humour  Big grin.

Just look at JETPILOT, dc-9capt, etc.

None of these people ask to be respected... they just are. Thats why they aren't particularly the most knowledgeable members of the forum.

As long as people treat me with respect, I couldn't care whether I had 1 or 100 respected users.

Regards

Dan

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:40 am

For those of us with alot of respected users (I have 65), it gives us something of a self esteem boost. Knowing that forum members like us for our opinions and posts makes you feel good, makes it seem like your time spent here is actually worth it.

It's very similar to a hig school concept. You feel great if you have lots and lots of friends.

However it can be a negative thing too, for example if you are a user with alot of posts and have been here a long time, but you are generally not respected by many people, perhaps you will feel like your posts are not worth much, and chances are if this is the case, they arent.

That is unless you do not post very often, in which case your lack of respected users is because you are not generally well know,

So basically its nothing more than a social thing, the more respected users (read: FRIENDS) you have, the better.

Catch y'all later,

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

EGGD

Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:09 am

Holy crud Aloha, where did all those come from!!!!

I have a mere 55  Sad Big grin  Smokin cool

hawaiian717

Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:14 am

I believe that the Respected Users list was supposed to be some component of some larger system for the forums that doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere.

David / SAN

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:26 am

I have 35 respected users and got 1 more today. Anyway, I found a trend. Late at night when like 3 people are on this board, it is very easy to make friends. I got 4 respected users about a month ago all in a 10 minute span at about 2 AM. It was fun.  Big thumbs up

Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:56 am

EGGD, looks on the bright side, you have the same amount of respected users as JETPILOT!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

EGGD

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:18 pm

who is JETPILOT??? Big grin I remember having an argument with him a couple of months back, it was so funny! I questioned him on whether he was a pilot or not, I think he got quite offended.

Ah well, whatever we were arguing about, guess he was right  Big grin

Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:46 pm

EGGD, this is more the humour part than anything else.
I could name quite some folks here that are respected because of that or because of (sick/fun) comments and stuff.

Of course there's some here that are only respected because of their REAL knowledge. I remember a Delta MD88 captain or AFCabincrew, ...

VapourTrails

RE: Respected Users

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:54 pm

Your self-esteem?! Big grin

I have four respected users and I thank them for that! I am not an aviation expert, just an enthusiast with a passion for aviation & aerospace and well, anything to do with (mostly) civil aviation!!

If I didn't have any respected users by now though I would be feeling a bit bad.  Sad [6 months on 17 February btw!!]

I like the respected users idea, even if it's a novelty.
-VapourTrails =

EGGD

Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:32 pm

Oh yes, I understand that it was a joke, I was just hoping that within that you did not have.. another motive.

aahh, nevermind, I just get touchy sometimes  Smokin cool

CX Flyboy

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:50 pm

What's the point in being respected in life? I don't get money for it.

It's the same as being respected here. It's just nice to know that some people approve of you and actually appreciate you, either for your posts, or just as a friend. There are no rewards for it, but it's nice to know that's all.

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:12 pm

Guys,

I was surprised to see I had so many respected users. Didn't count them though. Thanks to those who feel I should be respected.

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born..

airsicknessbag

Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:24 pm

It´s a little feedback - it tells you whether people think your posts are crap or not.

On the other hand, there´s a problem: there are lots of users here who are respected only because of a certain political one-sidedness. I mean, if you´re quite extreme in your political views (either way), you get lots of like-minded people respecting you.

Daniel Smile