donder10

Songate Refugee Camp-should It Be Closed?/Asylum

Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:13 pm

The 1 thing I dont understand about these so-called 'asylum seekers' is why they aren't kept in the 1st safe country they come to. If they are really fleeing persection etc then they wont mind what safe country they get.But,the fact that they are leaving France for England shows that there are economical reasons behind their 'asylum seeking'.
What do you think?

Treg

RE: Songate Refugee Camp-should It Be Closed?/Asylum

Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:17 pm

Sad, but true - I think majority of those so-called "asylum seekers" are actually economic immigrants. Take for example Romanians (I have some Romanian friends and therefore I know little more about incidents with this nation). I have been in Romania by myself and I have some great friends there and therefore I am absolutely sure, that the only reason, why thousands of them are leaving, is economical. Still - they are among top-10 in Europe for asylum seekers. You can find them also at Songate. And also - if someones life is really in danger in their homeland, they wouldn't travel to the other end of the world in order to find a new home. I don't think that their life would be in danger in France and I truely can not understand, why French goverment doesn't apply some tougher rules. If some of those "tunnel-tourists" would be denied the refugee status, maybe others will think twice before puting their and others life in danger.

Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:21 pm

I also think another mian point is how soft the UK is. I think we should send them (only the new ones) back, as the UK is being abused by them.
Iain

Sonic

Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:57 pm

Right, I know they are economic immigrants.
In Lithuania, many people emgrates to GB, USA, Scandinavia or other countries. It is even so that one tour company said, that approximately one third of all Lithuanian people, who goes to USA, leaves there and do not flies back to Lithuania.

donder10

Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:32 am

Blunkett needs to lower what asylum seekers can receive.

Jaspike

Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:09 am

I agree with Iainhol, we are too soft. If we got those Afghans from Cuba here, they'd probably be put in a 5 star hotel, not cages outside.

And the Sangatte (spelt good) people don't affect me anyway in Nottingham Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Josh
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy