3 Iron Or Lob Wedge?

Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:38 pm

To you golfers out there, I just picked up a good 7 wood (Ping i3), and now I have 14 clubs in the bag. However, I'm considering taking out my 3 iron (since I can't really hit it anyway) and replacing it with a 60 degree wedge. Any comments?

JetService

RE: 3 Iron Or Lob Wedge?

Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:43 pm

I say smart move if you hit good fairway woods. I'm guessing you do since you bought that nice 7W.
"Shaddap you!"

N400QX

Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:44 pm

Hmmm... I'd generally recommend keeping the 3I, but if you can't hit it worth anything then I guess it's a moot point. As for the 60 degree wedge... yeah, go for it. There were times I wished I had something more than a 54 degree wedge.

BTW, how do you like that new fairway wood? Looks like a good pick...

N400QX
needs to get back into the game-- its been months

Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:00 am

BTW, how do you like that new fairway wood? Looks like a good pick...

Two words: Like Buttah.

Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:09 am

I'd say get yourself a 60 degree wedge, if you really think it'll help your game, but don't take that 3I out of your bag. You may not be able to hit very well, but it makes a great chipping wedge. Use it with a half swing, on an incline, about 35 yards out. You wouldn't believe the control you can get from it! BTW, I have a driving iron, I think its a 67 degree, and it works great for me at about 220 yards out.

fallingeese

Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:38 am

Personally I hate the 3 iron so loose it. I have a great short game, so I'd stick with the 60 degree wedge. I love my irons 200+ yards with a 5 iron.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

174thfwff

Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:48 am

Have you tried to choke up on that 3? I was having problems too for a while, until my dad told me to choke up.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Metwrench

Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:16 pm

I love my Callaway 7 "Heaven Wood", works great on the fairway and short rough. When I get in the thick stuff, the 3 iron is the only one that works for me.

How many woods do you have in you bag? If you have a 3 and a 5, maybe you could do without one of them?

Lob wedgw is great for no roll, if you don't TOP it, ARGGG!!!!!*^#**##!!!

Oh well, so much for my problems.

Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:12 pm

Dang.... 200+ with a 5 iron...

I'm not really a "big" kid, and I don't really swing that hard, so my 5 iron will go about 150. I've tried choking up on the 4 and 3 iron, but it only seems to work on the 4. Strange. I do carry four woods, but I imagine I could probably do without the 5, but I really like fairway woods. And I've noticed that I'm able to flop the ball pretty accurately with my sand wedge when I don't have a lot of green to work with. Hmm... chipping with the 3 iron ... I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks guys. I guess the 3 stays... for now.