mika

Tinnitus, Anyone Else Got It?

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:58 pm

I got it like a year ago for some reason i don't know why (Though i have listened to very loud and much music thru the years and doing some heavy motor racing the last years so go figure). It was like hell in the begining when you just couldn't let your thoughts of it and the more you think of it the worse it got. Anyways, after a while u get used to it and now i can live with it pretty easily. I have to thank god to that it isn't worse than it is, it's not that bad as it could be and that others have. Well, i'm just curious if there's someone else here on A.net that has this to?  Yawn

747-600X

RE: Tinnitus, Anyone Else Got It?

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:01 pm

I must confess I am quite curious as to what it is.

mika

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:03 pm

Noise in your ears that don't go away plain and simple.

KROC

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:04 pm

It's like a constant ringing in your ear's.

4holer

Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:30 pm

Got it,
Not really bad, but worse at night. I don't notice it much if there's a lot of noise about, but if it gets quiet, it can drive you nuts. I have a friend who has it pretty bad after an ear infection. Mine isn't so disruptive so I consider myself comparitively lucky.
Lots of good sources of info on the web.
Jim
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Samurai 777

Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:33 pm

Tinnitus is basically a sound hallucination, and is very common among those suffering hearing loss or having been exposed to loud noise over an excessively long period of time.

I'm hard of hearing (with at least 70% hearing loss in both ears) since birth. Still, I get tinnitus very regularly, and it comes and goes. I live with it just as easily as I do with my hearing loss, but it can be a little hard trying to get back to sleep in the middle of the night when it's too loud, as I might might think the fire alarm went off or the phone was ringing!

There's not much you can do about it, unfortunately, but some people, like William Shatner, who played Capt. Kirk in Star Trek (he had to go through a lot of explosions as a part of the special effects in the series), have it so bad, they have to undergo a form of cognitive behavior therapy.

cfalk

Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:08 pm

I know The Who's Pete Townsend and Jeff Beck both have tennitis since the late eighty's, but they have treated it to a level that they can still perform on stage. Townsent seems to be doing better - in 1989 he restricted himself to playing acoustic and hiding in a specially designed "quiet" area of the stage. Now he's back on lead guitar and standing in front of HiWatt stacks again. So I suppose it can be treated.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

airlinelover

Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:22 pm

Father Mulchaey (sp) on M*A*S*H developed this after being near a bomb blast in the last episode.. Ended up going... well.. nm..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Banco

Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:24 am

I think Pete Townshend has just decided to give up on what remains of his hearing! How he can go from playing daintily on an acoustic in a perspex box in the late '80's to thundering back with an electric guitar now I just can't understand. They're not as loud as they were but they're hardly unplugged either. By all accounts the bass player John Entwistle is deaf as a post as well.

That's what comes of being the loudest group in the world in the '70's I suppose.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

killjoy

Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:24 am

I got it after flying while sick. My ears locked up and wouldn't open for days. After that they've been ringing continuously. It's sometimes a bit worse, but mostly undistracting. (Unless it's totally quiet)