Alpha 1
Topic Author

The Thrill Of Victory, And The Agony Of Defeat

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:11 pm

Most Americans know that phrase made famous by sports announcer jim McKay (sorry for no cap on his name-some of my caps aren't working!) at the beginning of ABC's "Wide World of Sports". Well if anyone saw the woman's figure skating tonight, you saw just that-American Sarah Hughes, 4th after the short program, skating the performance of her life, then Michelle Kwan in 1st after the short program, faltering, opening the door for Russia's Irina Slutskaya, and she also falters. Hughes takes the Gold, Slutskaya the Silver, and Kwan the bronze.

If anyone saw the sheer joy on Sarah Hughes' face, and the absolute devistation on Michelle Kwan's, then you know the term "The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat".

PHLflyer

RE: The Thrill Of Victory, And The Agony Of Defeat

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:36 pm

It was really an incredible performance. She didn't give the judges a chance to give her low marks.

PanAm747

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:40 pm

You can be sure the Olympics bring out emotions.

I was watching Women's downhill skiing and they were showing the lady's brother and when she fell down the brother and the rest of the family fell down crying.

That must be tough, training for years and years for just a few seconds.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

apathoid

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:52 pm

Hey! Those of us in the frozen north are subject to tape delay! I am in the middle of watching the figure skating right now....so...now I guess I don't need to...damn you.... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

L-188

Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:23 pm

Yeah.... This sucks. I had to leave for work right after Kwan's proformance.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.