G-KIRAN
Topic Author

Scots Must Support The Auld Enemy In The World Cup

Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:58 pm

Scots urged to back England in World Cup

LONDON (Reuters) - A Scottish politician has risked a sudden drop in popularity by urging his compatriots to back England in the World Cup.

"I believe that every Scot should try and support England in the World Cup this summer," Scottish Nationalist Party politician Andrew Wilson wrote in the Sunday Mail.

Wilson, a member of the Scottish parliament, admitted his proposal was not calculated to boost his ratings with voters.

"My point is simple. I see this small matter as a symbol for the strength of Scottish self-confidence.

"I cannot wait for the day that we are so confident in ourselves as a nation that we can bring ourselves to support the so-called Auld Enemy," he wrote.

"Our real enemy is the Scottish cringe that tells us we are incapable of looking out for ourselves and lifting our national sights."

Scotland, which has just hired a German, Berti Vogts, to run its national soccer side, failed to qualify for this summer's World Cup in Korea and Japan.

Scotty and Gkirk where are you?

G-KIRAN

EGGD

RE: Scots Must Support The Auld Enemy In The World Cup

Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:17 pm

Hahah! Cool  Smokin cool.

I have to admit... I supported Scotland during world Cup 98, although It was pretty funny to see them get knocked out to Morocco(?).  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

gkirk

Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:05 pm

Nae chance.
That pratt is just a fool.
I have Nigerian, Swedish and Argentinian blood in me so...
 Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Scotty

Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:21 pm

Andrew Wilson is an idiot MSP who represents the SNP but who is quite happy to receive a fat cheque every week for writing a stupid column in a tabloid Sunday newspaper which is 120 percent biased towards the Labour Party. He appears to be a raving self publicist who will stop at nothing to get a name check. He is so committed to Scotland that he cant even be bothered carrying on as an MSP after the next election, so presumably he can then get a full time job with a newspaper!!

Re England in the World Cup, personally, I really dont give a toss how they get on. However, given that there are a few Argentinians playing in Scottish teams, and of course, Henrik Larsen at Celtic, I would think that there may be a mini-boom in the sale of Argy and Sweden flags around Glasgow and Dundee.

Me? I'll be more interested in the Irish performance, especially if we're going ahead with our joint bid for Euro 2008.

Scotty

Banco

Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:26 am

Hell will freeze over before the Scots will bring themselves to support England.

But to be fair, this is typical of any nation that has a bigger more powerful neighbour next door. If Scotland had ten times the population of England the same would be true in reverse. It's natural, not something to be sneered at.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

GDB

Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:19 am

Nothing more absurd than Scots wearing German shirts like in Euro 96!
Mind you, we could always say 'support the UK team, even if (sorry when), Scotland gets kicked out or does not qualify.....or you can forget the Barnett Formula subsidy!
Joke, calm down now!

EGGD

Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:25 am

I had a feeling this might not go down to well. Aww well, it was fun watching you get knocked out in the qualifying stages also  Big thumbs up

gkirk

Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:21 am

I have my Argentina, Sweden and Nigeria tops in the post now  Smile

Scotty

Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:12 am

If England are playing good football, like they did against Germany, then yeah, I hope they do well. I hoped they'd get a result against Greece and their winning goal was a peach.

I predict they will be second in the group.

Scotty

gkirk

Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:51 am

Wow!

David_itl

Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:46 am

I think Scotty's been drinking some thistle juice!

David/MAN

Scotty

Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:33 pm

At least we can say that if it wasnt for Scots, then England would never have won the World Cup in 1966, so we've already given them some help

Scotty

Banco

Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:58 pm

Specify, Scotty. (Seriously, I'd like to know what you mean).

Generally speaking, the rivalry is just good fun. There are a few Scots who are rabidly anti-English, but I guess you would get that it any group of people.

I do think that a lot of English have changed their tune about Scotland. Generally the English always support one of the home nations as well as their own, but have been getting fed up over the last few years at the way many Scots will support anyone but England. I know I have. I actually feel a bit let down by it. I adore Scotland, but it does get on my nerves when some people are so genuinely (as opposed to Kirkie's jovial type) hateful of us.

gkirk

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:50 am

Kirkie's jovial type???
WTH does Jovial been???
Fun?
 Confused

Banco

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:13 am

Are not all Scots jovial?

I thought it was a national characteristic. You'd certainly never find them normally accused of being miserable, tightfisted, drunk and anti-English!  Big grin

donder10

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:22 am

And John Prescott might fly...

Scotty

Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:26 am

Banco

The only surviving member of all the founder clubs of the Scottish Football League are the famous Queens Park club who are still amateur and play their games at Hampden Park, the national stadium, which they've done since they were founded in 1867. They were the leading Scottish club in those days, winning the Scottish Cup 10 times and introducing the passing game into world football, much to the astonishment of many of their English opponents, who continued to play the dribbling game.

Anyway, in the 1880's Queens Park brought many innovations into the world game, such as half time, free kicks and crossbars, goals having only a rope strung across between the posts until that time.

And if it hadn't been for the innovative crossbar eighty odd years later, Geoff Hurst's shot would have gone sailing over the goal and England would never have scored that much disputed third goal which put them on the road to glory. So those auld Scots did England a favour.

There ye are.

Scotty

Banco

Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm

Ahhh, I see. Of course, that also explains the behaviour of Scotland's fans when they broke and stole the crossbar at Wembley - they were merely reclaiming their idea! Big grin

Scotty

Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:23 pm

Very true.

I can also think of a few households where there is a square foot of turf on the mantlepiece, something which will always be a little bit of the green turf of the old stadium

Scotty

Banco

Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:03 pm

The thing that occurs to me about that is that there is doubtless some poor unwitting Scottish fan who has the bit of turf from where England scored one of their goals inthe World cup Final. He, he. Big grin

Scotty

Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:20 pm

I know the guy. He keeps that bit down his toilet

Scotty

David_itl

Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:23 pm

I'm sure I read that the 1st 5 or 6 years of competitive football in Scotland saw the astonishing fact that Queen's Park never conceded a goal! (Equally useless info: they were habitually given byes in the English FA Cup until the Quarter-Finals/Semi-Finals "due to the travelleing time" and had to scratch from the competition when they drew a game as they couldn't afford the replay costs!).

David/MAN

go canada!

Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:32 am

cant scotland and england just get on, im english but i used to live in scotland, its a lovely place and its a same that they seem to hate us.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Banco

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:03 am

You expect to overcome a couple of thousand years of bitter rivalry just like that? We DO get on. Let's be honest, both English and Scots secretly enjoy the spats we have.

donder10

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:30 am

Its friendly rivalry.You only have to go Edinburgh for the Scotland/England 6 nations game to see that.

bmi330

Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:58 am

Donder10 air it is a copletly diffrent set of people who go to rugby matches persnaly am gonna support portugal in the world cup cause scotland arent there cause they are the most exiting team to watch every one in scotland will be supporting diffrent teams in my experince.

gkirk

Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:09 am

Everybody knows Scots know how to enjoy thmselves at footie tournaments without all-out war taking place. (Look at France 98 Scotland Vs Brazil, what an atmosphere  Smile )

Scotty

Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:50 am

We DO get on. We're always taking the p..s out of each other, even when Scots say they wont support England. Only the head cases take it seriously and most of them are in jail. Or the Government

Scotty

Banco

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:28 pm

True enough Scotty. Although, it should be noted that the Scots nutcases are clearly superior to the English nutcases as there are far more of them in said government. One of them has taken it to a new level and has managed to convince everyone that he is really English. With such a successful grounding he has gone on to become Prime Minister. Wow.

As a result, without the English being aware of what was happening, the canny Scots have turned England into a colony of Scotland. At long last, the English have woken, and the Englsih bravehearts are revolting.

The English are now reduced to fighting back the only way they know how. We sent an advance party of fifteen up to Edinburgh to try to damage an outpost at Murrayfield. Reports from the front suggest that the English met little opposition. Other forces are also building, the elite force of eleven (with a round ball) under King Sven of Sweden have been developing new and devious tactics and are expected to annihilate all Scots opposition. The impending battle has been delayed whilst they visit Japan and Korea in what many see as a misguided attempt to take over the world outside Scotland.

But wait. The devilish Scots are not finished! They have distracted the English by taking a hitherto unknown battleplan named Project Curling and drawing the brave English into their web. Reports suggest the English have been fooled, with confused troops desperately trying to understand codewords such as "hammer" and "stone". Up to 5 million have so far been lost, a serious blow to English morale. Other developments suggest the evil Jocks are using a new transportation device called "skis" to mount raids from the mountains. The English defenders have never seen these before and are powerless to resist.

Desperate times call for desparate measures, and Project Cricket has been launched. Intelligence reports say that Scotland is totally unprepared for the assault. Total secrecy appears to be in place.

A new English leadership has emerged. After the debacle of General Byers; Admiral Straw and the blind mystic Blunkett have new plans to recover English freedom by turning the two major clan leaders McBrown and McBlair against one another. It is hoped that the ensuing confusion will allow the English to prevail. Watching from the sidelines, Duncan-Smith the Bald awaits his chance.

We live in dangerous times, gentlemen. Let battle commence.

Scotty

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:41 pm

Project cricket will be repulsed. There's a new series of The Krankies being prepared deep in the vaults of the secret bunker at the BBC in Glasgow.

Duncan-Smith? Sounds vaguely Scottish to me. Beware of wooden horses!!

And the House of Commons should be the English Parliament, free from all 72 Scots MPs who are desperately seeking a reason for their continued presence in the Commons

Scotty

Banco

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:00 pm

The BBC is well known in English leadership circles as the mouthpiece of Scots propoganda. Lord Haw-Haw Naughtie and his Welsh ally Humphries have been trying to batter English morale for some time. The English recently launched a counter strike by sending Colonel Rossiter to "take out" Sue McGregor. A policy that met with considerable success.

Meanwhile, in the war theatre known in military circles as "the other side", Will the Warbler has launched a pre-emptive strike on the Krankies. Backed up by the English Royal family, known as Posh 'n Becks to loyal subjects, the Krankies have been eliminated to the delight of the English. Curiously, many Scots also celebrated, believing the terrible twosome to be a loose cannon, who could easily damage Scotland's reputation abroad.

gkirk

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:11 pm

ROFLMAO  Laugh out loud

Scotty

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:34 pm

Kirkie

Is that Gaelic??

gkirk

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:22 pm

ROFLMAO=Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off  Laugh out loud

Big thumbs up

Banco

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:33 pm

At least someone who reads it might realise that we don't actually hate each other. Oh no. That role is fulfilled by the French - unless you're a Scots Catholic traitor, of course. Big grin

Scotty

Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:28 am

Ste..ad..y...

I like France too, he said tactfully. And the other thing sometimes generates lots of "discussion" around Glasgow, especially in the vicinities of Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Hark .....do I hear a flute band playing in the distance....???

And there might still be Jacobites.......

Banco

Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:05 pm

Down in England we think Jacobites are a type of cracker... Big grin

gkirk

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:05 am

Rangers played very well tonight, but yet again dodgy refereeing (they were never free kicks) and the inability to kill off opposition proved our downfall.  Sad

Stretch 8

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:06 am

I may not be a "football" fan, but if I were a Scot, no way I would support the UK! Sean Connery for king!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Banco

Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:40 pm

Stretch 8, what are you talking about? The UK? This is about England. Or are you one of those people that can't tell the difference?

Gkirk, the "Battle of Britain" in the next round went west pretty quickly with Leeds also out. Never mind, Rangers did better than they do most years. Maybe they're slowly getting the hang of the Euro competitions.

Scotty

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:42 pm

Hey

I just piccied EI-DUB, an Aer Lingus A330, making an amazing take off from EDI to DUB. Carrying lots of Scots rugby fans heading over for a pre-Euro 2008 practice session

Scotty

BCal Dc10

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:56 pm

ahahahaha.... Stretch8. You're a card.
Scotland is in the UK you moron.

Banco

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:58 pm

Scotty, when you say practice session, are you talking about supporting a team that's going to get absolutely stuffed? 'Cos that's what the Ireland rugby team will do to you tomorrow! Big grin

Scotty

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:07 am

HEYYYYY!! Dream ON Banco.

Besides, when we all get togehter, the result AINT important!!

Banco

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:30 am

True enough, but Ireland will be hurting badly after the game at HQ, and I reckon your boys might feel the backlash. Mind you, the Irish do usually suffer against New Zealand, and since Scotland are becoming the New Zealand exiles.... Big grin

BCal Dc10

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:34 am

right boys... I'm off to LHR. Time for my flight to Paris for the big game tomorrow. I have a spare ticket as well. tut.

Banco

Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:18 am

You rotten sod. You said you'd tell us if you had spare tickets.